Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Forum Changes (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368304)

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 12:51 PM

Forum Changes

The forum was just upgraded this morning, as you can probably see. With this has come a few good things, like the visible thread ratings, a few bad things, like no longer seeing how many replies are new, and quite a few ugly things.

Here are the problems:
<ul type="square">[*]Signatures are turned on. Please check and see if you have a signature. If you have a signature that advertises an affiliate program or is otherwise spammy or offensive, you will be banned until it's fixed.[*]Instant Graemlins, Instant UBB Code, and Instant Font Color Don't work at present time. Life sucks, and then you type out the code by hand. (Edit: FIXED!)[*]The profanity filter is currently turned off. THIS IS NOT A LICENSE TO GO SWEARING! Instead, I know some people type some curse words knowing they will be censored. Some people even pick their choice of curse words when wanting to refer to the moderator [censored], rather than type it all out. Instead, please refrain from swearing at this time. If you must, type something like !#$%, or type out [censored] if you want to get the point across. I hate to say it, but failure to comply is an offense worthy of banning.[/list]
I don't like to be laying down the law, but it's more that I want to give you a stern warning so that you know before you get banned for doing something you didn't even know was wrong. You're a good crew. I trust you guys won't be doing any of this.

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 12:58 PM

Re: Forum Changes

Other changes that are for the worst (I'll keep posting them as I find them):

No moderator is green anymore. We are all still moderators. They're still marked with a little M when posting in their home forum.

The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search.

DCWildcat 10-30-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea why this is? It kind of defeats the purpose of searching for something with a title you don't remember, doesn't it?

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 01:04 PM

It's to reduce the load on the CPU and the database, presumably.

Another problem: There is now a limit on the number of PM's you can have in your box. If you get a message that you have too many, you'll have to delete some of your PM's before you can send (or receive?) any.

bozlax 10-30-2005 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like no longer seeing how many replies are new

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a "feature"? Because, if so, this may be one of the worst upgrades in forum software history.

bozlax 10-30-2005 01:09 PM

This thing with sorting all the messages on the same level in reverse-time order is going to take some getting used to, too.

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thing with sorting all the messages on the same level in reverse-time order is going to take some getting used to, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that something in threaded mode, instead of flat mode?

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 01:11 PM

It IS! That's disgusting! Man, this was a terrible upgrade.

Kumubou 10-30-2005 01:14 PM

Enjoy? This is right up there with the Tain network launch for 'ugliest poker-related roll-out of the week'.

Also, the forum list no longer displays the number of new posts in a thread, ugh. [This was alrady mentioned, but it needs to be said twice.]

-K

bozlax 10-30-2005 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that something in threaded mode, instead of flat mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeppers, and lemme tell ya, IT SUCKS! Ugh.

Interestingly, when you click into a thread where you've read some posts but there are new posts it seems to take you to the newest post automatically. Of course, this kind of blows if you haven't read ALL the posts, or if there's more than 1 new post, since all the post titles look the same once you've read any of them.

WUE.

StevieG 10-30-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instant Graemlins, Instant UBB Code, and Instant Font Color Don't work at present time. Life sucks, and then you type out the code by hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted a fix for this in OOT, and also mailed it to forum-master at twoplustwo

bozlax 10-30-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the forum list no longer displays the number of new posts in a thread, ugh. [This was alrady mentioned, but it needs to be said twice.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, no distinction is made in the post-list between posts in a thread that you have read vs. ones you haven't. [This also deserved a second mention, IMO.]

bozlax 10-30-2005 01:18 PM

We bitched to fast?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one appears to be fixed?

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 01:19 PM

I posted the link to your fix in the moderator forum. Hopefully it'll be seen. Also, it looks like they're now showing unread new threads as different from the total. Yay!

adsman 10-30-2005 01:21 PM

Re: We bitched to fast?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one appears to be fixed?

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears so. God, I can't begin to tell you how much I want to write [censored] and [censored] and [censored] now.

Nfinity 10-30-2005 01:22 PM

"The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search."

"Instant Graemlins, Instant UBB Code, and Instant Font Color Don't work at present time. Life sucks, and then you type out the code by hand."

Time it takes to do the digest when I am short on links = +8 hours

kapw7 10-30-2005 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I have a suspicion that this restriction does not apply when you search for "Aff***s-R****k" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, this site makes tons of money from adverts. Why don't they use some to buy proper hardware/software?

Rev. Good Will 10-30-2005 01:55 PM

you not being green is so weird...

and the "Stock" avatars are cute

POKhER 10-30-2005 02:00 PM

Havent noticed any downsides yet, so currently happy with the changes.

Rev. Good Will 10-30-2005 02:08 PM

whoa! newer replies are on the top? thats not cool

EDIT - looks like I'll have to be one of the cool kids now and read in "flat" mode [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Guthrie 10-30-2005 02:10 PM

Back button [censored] up

Hitting the back button to edit a post wipes out the text. I've seen this from time to time on other forums, and it's a real drag, forcing me to constantly copy the post to the clipboard for fear of losing it.

Hitting the back button while reading a post frequently goes to an entirely unrelated post, not the previous one.

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 02:13 PM

Re: Back button [censored] up

Agreed. I liked the ability to hit back, check something, hit forward, and then make the post.

nomadtla 10-30-2005 02:15 PM

Mine is still showing the number of new replies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Guthrie 10-30-2005 02:17 PM

Another one

I click on an original post and get the first reply instead. I hit the back button and get the next reply.

Sometimes, of course, not always, which makes debugging a [censored].

trainslayer 10-30-2005 02:37 PM

the post your replying to is listed in it's entirety at the bottom of your reply page. just scroll down to view it if your not quoting.

if you want to refresh your memory of something someone else posted while replying, click file menu -&gt; new -&gt; window and click back to go back to the original thread. then swap back and forth between the two windows until you finish your reply.

edited for spelling

Greg J 10-30-2005 02:47 PM

At least I still have a cool little flag beside my name. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure the people in this forum will behave fine in this period of chaos. Now the poor mods in oot and the zoo... those poor bastards are pulling thier hair out I'm sure.

nomadtla 10-30-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least I still have a cool little flag beside my name. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure the people in this forum will behave fine in this period of chaos. Now the poor mods in oot and the zoo... those poor bastards are pulling thier hair out I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah going to OOT in times like these make me realize what a great forum this is they started a thread for censored words. What a bunch of [censored] kids. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TomBrooks 10-30-2005 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mine is still showing the number of new replies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

TomBrooks 10-30-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
This will increase the number of repetitive new threads that get posted, especially on the always popular and current hot topics. I often have to modify my search parameters and search more than once to find what I want. Expect to see the forums more cluttered going forward.

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 05:57 PM

UPDATE: It looks like signatures have been disabled, but if you had a sig at the time they were turned off, it's still enabled. Please, if you currently have a sig, delete it from your profile.

Aaron W. 10-30-2005 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've become a convert to "Flat" mode as a result of this.

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 08:47 PM

About bloody time if you ask me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I sent Chuck an e-mail. Hopefully he's looking into it.

Aside: I'm greeeeeeeen!

Rev. Good Will 10-30-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice name! new power?

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 09:00 PM

Yeah, I got a little trim, too. It's good to be green.

Rev. Good Will 10-30-2005 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my, I didn't even notice, looks g00t

gharp 10-30-2005 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my, I didn't even notice, looks g00t

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently we're also now under the iron fist of GREGATRON.

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 09:07 PM

As far as new powers, we didn't get much that's all that visible to you guys. The admin section of the site was overhauled, however, making it easier than ever to ban anyone who steps out of line. Hear that?! That's what I thought.

It's also easier to track which mod banned someone, so we know who to talk to if someone is asking us to get unbanned. Fortunately, Greg and I don't have to worry about that much.

Rev. Good Will 10-30-2005 09:12 PM

signatures are now off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

aK13 10-30-2005 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
signatures are now off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. The max chars for signature are set at 0, so if you try to change it, it won't let you. But if you've had it in there, it still remains. (I tried changing mine, didn't let me, but it's still showing).

MrWookie47 10-30-2005 09:16 PM

Yeah, but I can delete it. Mods are hunting these down.