Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318281)

A_C_Slater 08-18-2005 11:31 PM

How would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC?

Luzion 08-18-2005 11:54 PM

Re: How would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC?

Are you talking about if he was still alive today, or if he fought in the UFC at his physically most fit period of his life?

JoshuaD 08-18-2005 11:55 PM

If the UFC is done by weight classes I think Bruce Lee would own his division.

Rev. Good Will 08-18-2005 11:56 PM

BL in his prime would have pwned all. He was the one who first said fighters should crosstrain different styles

A_C_Slater 08-18-2005 11:59 PM

In his prime and weight division of course.

I must note that Bruce Lee was able to do 100 push-ups on his index fingers

KaneKungFu123 08-19-2005 12:00 AM

how much did he weigh? like 150lb?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Luzion 08-19-2005 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In his prime and in his weight division he would dominate I believe... I dont think he would dominate at all if he fought todays top fighters in Pride and UFC now though. Martial Arts and ideas on training and fighting have gone a long way since he was around...He would be at a disadvantage if the fight got to the floor purely on his smaller size and weight. I sure wouldve loved to see him side kick someone out of the ring in Pride though... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Inthacup 08-19-2005 12:05 AM

Are we talking old UFC or present-day UFC?

A_C_Slater 08-19-2005 12:15 AM

present-day and he adapted by getting the requisite training (ground game work,) etc.

touchfaith 08-19-2005 12:20 AM

He's only fighting one guy at a time right?

I'll take Bruce, in all weight classes. Easy money.

08-19-2005 12:25 AM

Chuck Liddell would have knocked him out in first round. I doubt Bruce had a good chin. One punch and he's hurt at the very least.

08-19-2005 12:27 AM

Wait a second, has anyone actually seen Bruce Lee in a real fight ? Not one that was staged in a movie ? If so, I'd like to see it.

KDawgCometh 08-19-2005 12:34 AM

I think he would've been a slightly winning fighter in teh UFC or PRIDE at his weight class. He would've been in the 155 class and I don't think that he could withstand the kicks of Masato, the grappling of Genki Sudo or BJ Penn. If Bruce moved up to some of the higher weight classes I really can't see how he'd be more then a mid card fighter. Yes he was fast, but I can't see how a Kung-Fu stylist could handle being on their back and having their arm or ankle being bent badly in a submission. If he was to go all the way up to the heavyweight, he'd just be fodder. Try to imagine him being in a fight with CroCop, it wouldn't be pretty. CroCop has broken many an eye socket with one of his punches. Bob Sapp still has vision problems from their K-1 fight where he had his eye socket badly broken from just one punch

Luzion 08-19-2005 12:45 AM

Uhhh... you do realize that Bruce Lee is considered a big influence on MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) right?

He was one of the first people to throw tradition out the window and incorporate many different fighting styles together. His side kicks came from Japanese fighting arts. His fight stance is a blend of western boxing and fencing. Close combat he used hand trapping from Wing Chung. In his book Tao of Jeet Kune Do, there is extensive diagrams of Jujitsu, Aikido/Aikijitsu, wrestling, etc... He was interested in all forms of fighting; not just striking...

Also its not like Bruce Lee couldnt hit hard. He could hit as hard as professional boxers, and videos of him side kicking people or that 300lb heavy bag would amaze you...

I agree he would still be at a disadvantage on the floor because of his weight and size though...

KDawgCometh 08-19-2005 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh... you do realize that Bruce Lee is considered a big influence on MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) right?

He was one of the first people to throw tradition out the window and incorporate many different fighting styles together. His side kicks came from Japanese fighting arts. His fight stance is a blend of western boxing and fencing. Close combat he used hand trapping from Wing Chung. In his book Tao of Jeet Kune Do, there is extensive diagrams of Jujitsu, Aikido/Aikijitsu, wrestling, etc... He was interested in all forms of fighting; not just striking...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that he was Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, Volk Han, and Masa Funaki also have been massive influences in modern MMA. I know that JeetKunDo has grappling movements in it, but outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA(Chuck Liddell has college wrestling experience, which is pretty high level of wrestling), and that is a fact that can't be refuted

Rev. Good Will 08-19-2005 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that he was Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, Volk Han, and Masa Funaki also have been massive influences in modern MMA. I know that JeetKunDo has grappling movements in it, but outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA(Chuck Liddell has college wrestling experience, which is pretty high level of wrestling), and that is a fact that can't be refuted

[/ QUOTE ]

given BL philosophy on fighting, I don't see why he would train more in his weak areas before a fight. he was way ahead of his time with ideas he had.

KDawgCometh 08-19-2005 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
given BL philosophy on fighting, I don't see why he would train more in his weak areas before a fight. he was way ahead of his time with ideas he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but there is one thing that he certianly wouldn't have been able to overcome, which was his size disadvantage. I really think that he would've only have been good in the 155 weight class, anything higher and he would have serious problems against larger competition and against olympic level wrestlers that have heavy hands when punching

Jeff W 08-19-2005 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that JeetKunDo has grappling movements in it, but outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA(Chuck Liddell has college wrestling experience, which is pretty high level of wrestling), and that is a fact that can't be refuted

[/ QUOTE ]

Vanderlei Silva?

I bet a lot of strikers who would dominate in MMA enter into professional boxing instead. Grapplers have fewer professional options, so we see a pre-dominance of grapplers in MMA.

jokerthief 08-19-2005 01:31 AM

If Bruce Lee would have fought with the style and training he had when he died, then he would have been owned. If he trained in modern jujitsu and striking techniques then maybe he would have stood a chance. It really depends if he could take a punch or not. You really don't see too many good fighters with his build though, I doubt he weighed over 140. The more I think about it I think he would have gotten his ass kicked no matter what.

Luzion 08-19-2005 01:41 AM

Jokerthief, thats a hilarious avatar. What fight was it?

jokerthief 08-19-2005 01:44 AM

I don't know. I just stumbled across the gif one day. My best guess is that it's an amatuer fight though. I mean, jumping up on the ropes too retarted for a pro fight.

Blarg 08-19-2005 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chuck Liddell would have knocked him out in first round. I doubt Bruce had a good chin. One punch and he's hurt at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee's hands were the best part of his arsenal by far. His was not a body meant to take punishment, but if it's coming down to upright punching, Lee would have a huge advantage over most people.

Blarg 08-19-2005 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he would've been a slightly winning fighter in teh UFC or PRIDE at his weight class. He would've been in the 155 class and I don't think that he could withstand the kicks of Masato, the grappling of Genki Sudo or BJ Penn. If Bruce moved up to some of the higher weight classes I really can't see how he'd be more then a mid card fighter. Yes he was fast, but I can't see how a Kung-Fu stylist could handle being on their back and having their arm or ankle being bent badly in a submission. If he was to go all the way up to the heavyweight, he'd just be fodder. Try to imagine him being in a fight with CroCop, it wouldn't be pretty. CroCop has broken many an eye socket with one of his punches. Bob Sapp still has vision problems from their K-1 fight where he had his eye socket badly broken from just one punch

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce's punches were extremely hard, and he'd been training them hard for almost 20 years by the time he died. Bruce would hold his own against even an outstanding puncher. It's in the groundwork that he'd suffer, although he was cross-training long before most martial artists did.

hoyaboy1 08-19-2005 02:15 AM

If we just teleport him to today from his prime and throw him in the ring tomorrow at 155, he's getting torched by top fighters and a lot of shittier ones who are good wrestlers. If we give him a few years to train, who knows, but I imagine he'd be good at 155 or 140, whatever he'd fight at.

touchfaith 08-19-2005 02:17 AM

I like how everone assumes Bruce is going to lay on the ground and wait for someone to come wrestle him.

hoyaboy1 08-19-2005 02:18 AM

He'd get taken down.

SackUp 08-19-2005 02:20 AM

Bruce would f'ing dominate.

He is so incredibly fast. It would never get to the ground. He would kick and punch the sh1t out of people. Do you realize how much speed kills?? No one would touch him.

Plus he also cross trained in many sports and definitely did submissions.

hoyaboy1 08-19-2005 02:22 AM

There are no strikers in MMA near good enough to prevent takedown attempts. NONE. There is only 1 who has no ground skill and is still elite, CroCop - but he has the best takedown defense in the sport (but even with his great striking he can't stop people from going for takedowns). Without specialized modern training, Lee would be almost certain to be taken down.

There are two problems with some of the arguments here - people think Lee is superhuman, and don't actually follow MMA.

applejuicekid 08-19-2005 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Hunt, Silva, Shogun, Ninja, Bas, Igor, Yvel, or Pulver?

There are many many more.

Blarg 08-19-2005 02:30 AM

Wrestling and jiu-jitsu weren't invented with the start of t.v. MMA competitions. They were known about before, and beaten repeatedly and endlessly before, and like all styles, always will be beaten again, if the right man is there to do the job.

While a little skepticism is often a pretty healthy thing, virtually none was directed at Brazilian jiu-jitsu from the start of t.v. MMA competitions, and a little more is still overdue.

applejuicekid 08-19-2005 02:32 AM

That is not true CroCop has been working on his ground game, and has improved greatly. Didn't you see him sub Barnett? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

hoyaboy1 08-19-2005 02:39 AM

CroCop - Barnett was so dissapointing. I can't wait for Fedor to GnP his ass on the 28th.

applejuicekid 08-19-2005 02:44 AM

Agreed, I was looking forward to the fight.

CroCop - Fedor will be awesome.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait for Fedor to GnP his ass on the 28th.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will not happen. He won't just lay in the guard like nog did. CroCop will tie it up and get the stand up. It will be close, but I got my money on Mirko.

hoyaboy1 08-19-2005 02:48 AM

We'll see. If it goes to decision, I really can't see Mirko winning - he needs a KO. Fedor's chin may not be great be he seems to have fantastic recovery, particularly against Fujita and Randelman. Mirko has also never been in the guard against a guy with good GnP skills (and the one time he got taken down by a guy with sub skills like Fedor's he was tapping 30 seconds later). If he does get taken down, he's gonna lose, IMO.

Mirko is clearly the only heavyweight in the world that could beat Fedor even 25% of the time, but I don't think his odds are much better than that.

applejuicekid 08-19-2005 02:58 AM

I agree Mirko will prolly need a KO.

Sub skills like Fedor?

Do you mean the greatest heavyweight grappler in MMA history?

Fedor won't tap him. Regardless the 28th can't come soon enough.

HtotheNootch 08-19-2005 02:59 AM

Franco Columbu in his prime would have been the most dangerous.

beernutz 08-19-2005 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's only fighting one guy at a time right?

I'll take Bruce, in all weight classes. Easy money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid.

hoyaboy1 08-19-2005 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree Mirko will prolly need a KO.

Sub skills like Fedor?

Do you mean the greatest heavyweight grappler in MMA history?

Fedor won't tap him. Regardless the 28th can't come soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is blasphemy, but in all around grappling, I take Fedor over Nog - because his wrestling is so bad. Nog is slightly better at subs, but they are equal in sub defense and Fedor is way better at ground control and getting position. If you throw in his GnP he has an even bigger edge on the ground.

Heck, Ricco Rodriguez subbed Nog pretty quickly in ADCC, an all-grappling event.

applejuicekid 08-19-2005 03:26 AM

I disagree, but can see where you are coming from. Anyways, I meant to say subs. But c'mon he is not slightly better, he is much better at subs.

In an all-grappling event Nog isn't the greatest, but in MMA I can't think of anyone better at subs.

-Skeme- 08-19-2005 07:10 AM

He'd get destroyed by today's competition.