Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Moving to Vegas...Help Needed! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364539)

aggie 10-24-2005 05:38 PM

Moving to Vegas...Help Needed!

Hello All. I'm moving to Vegas in mid December and need help finding an apartment. I've been to Vegas many times but have never strayed far from the strip and have no idea about the surrounding areas. I need help at least figuring out what areas are best. Here's what's important to me:

-I'd like to spend $800-$1100 / mo on a 1-bedroom spacious apartment
-I'd like to be close to the strip (<10 minute drive prefferable)
-I'd like to live in a decent area....I'd like it to be mostly white / middle class section of town. I don't want to fear for my life when walking around at night
-I'm 25 and single so close proximity to young people would be nice.
-close proximity to shopping would be nice.

Please help me in any way you can. I don't necessarily need specific apartment complexes but general areas, web-sites with more info, or other relavant info would be helpful....

For those of you currently in Vegas, i look forward to seeing you at the tables there. Thanks in advance for the help!

TruePoker CEO 10-24-2005 06:49 PM

Re: Moving to Vegas...Help Needed!

"I'd like to be close to the strip (<10 minute drive prefferable)"

If you make that 15 minutes, and learn the back routes such as Frank Sinatra Drive, you could live almost anywhere that meets your other criteria. Get used to driving, the good news is that on the East side of town and on the freeways, they drive fast.

As a threshold issue though, why would you move there if you have no idea what the off-strip areas are like ?

Try Green Valley (Henderson) or the Lakes (West)areas. Get a 6 month lease on an apartment to see if you'd like to make it longer term.

I do not know what rents are like these days, but $1100 should be doable for an older, not-very spacious apartment.

Truepoker CEO

aggie 10-24-2005 06:59 PM

Thanks for the advice?

[ QUOTE ]
As a threshold issue though, why would you move there if you have no idea what the off-strip areas are like ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm moving to Vegas mainly to play poker. I'm sure there are decent areas to live and that I'll find other things to do.

[ QUOTE ]
Get a 6 month lease on an apartment to see if you'd like to make it longer term.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much the plan....My partents also live in LA so i plan on spending some time with them and also checking out the LA poker scene. This is probably not a lifelong decision

[ QUOTE ]
I do not know what rents are like these days, but $1100 should be doable for an older, not-very spacious apartment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is suprising to me. From looking briefly at rent.net it looked like $1100 would get me an upper end 1-bedroom apartment. I don't need something luxurious. My main requirements are a decent neighborhood, >750 sq feet, w/d in apt.

Thanks again!

TruePoker CEO 10-24-2005 07:13 PM

"I'll find other things to do."

One more thing ....

There is no sex in the Champagne Room.

aggie 10-24-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no sex in the Champagne Room.

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMMIT!!!

gonores 10-24-2005 07:55 PM

I moved in August to the Green Valley area. I'm 17 minutes off-peak drive time to the Bellagio. There's plenty of shopping and stuff to do within 5 minutes of anywhere you live in Green Valley. I wholeheartedly endorse it.

There are young people pretty much everywhere in Vegas. You'll be fine.

I also echo the sentiment that you should get a 6 month lease and plan from there.

Ed Miller 10-25-2005 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is suprising to me. From looking briefly at rent.net it looked like $1100 would get me an upper end 1-bedroom apartment. I don't need something luxurious. My main requirements are a decent neighborhood, >750 sq feet, w/d in apt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You skipped the part where he said he didn't know what rents were like these days. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] $1100 is PLENTY for a one bedroom no matter where you want to live. My fiancee and I live in a 1,000+ sq. ft. 2 bedroom and pay $955 in Green Valley.

bugstud 10-25-2005 12:12 AM

yeah you can get a 3 bedroom house renting for that much.

accountant71 10-25-2005 03:15 AM

I rent a four bedroom house for $1200 in Copper Creek, which is a very new, very nice area about 10 minutes from strip on Tropicana. So a one bedroom apartment is very doable for $1100.

Photoc 10-25-2005 04:14 AM

I have a 2 bedroom near GVR for 1k a month. 2 bath with washer/dryer and it's 1200 sqft on the second floor.
www.apartmentguide.com

ThaHero 10-25-2005 06:46 AM

This entire post makes me realize how much LA sucks...I'm sure things are even worse in NY.

Sciolist 10-25-2005 07:25 AM

No Useful Content from Me

Man, rent is so cheap in the US. I pay more than $1100 pm to live centralish London, and I share. That is going to be my new whining subject.

10-25-2005 07:41 AM

Another one bites tne dust.

kenberman 10-25-2005 09:02 AM

Re: No Useful Content from Me

[ QUOTE ]
Man, rent is so cheap in the US. I pay more than $1100 pm to live centralish London, and I share. That is going to be my new whining subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

try moving to NY, San Fran, or Boston.

depending on neighborhood, nearly equivalent to London.

Sciolist 10-25-2005 09:08 AM

Ah, but London is great. Plus you can't buy proper chocolate in the US.

kenberman 10-25-2005 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, but London is great. Plus you can't buy proper chocolate in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true! Milka (my favorite) can be found in the US, you just gotta look. ditto for high end british chocolates.

Ed Miller 10-25-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 2 bedroom near GVR for 1k a month. 2 bath with washer/dryer and it's 1200 sqft on the second floor.
www.apartmentguide.com

[/ QUOTE ]

We're neighbors. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cwsiggy 10-25-2005 02:18 PM

Why rent Ed? Cmon - get in the game and buy a place! Phil Ivey and Mimi Tran own like 57 home in Vegas between them. Catch up!

youtalkfunny 10-25-2005 04:03 PM

This may be the worst time to buy real estate in the history of Las Vegas. That market is SOOOOOO much more likely to crash, than grow.

Just read a piece about some gigantic real estate investor who is dumping all his US holdings now. He predicts the crash will begin in cities where speculators went crazy in recent years: Las Vegas and Miami.

Funny, he made an analogy comparing real estate investing to polo: "I feel perfectly safe out there with other professionals, but if amateurs get involved, someone can get killed. Amateurs charge around, not knowing when to back off, and even the savvy pros can get taken down with them." His point is that the real estate market is being driven by idiots.

How many of you read that, and thought about poker?

youtalkfunny 10-25-2005 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, rent is so cheap in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think those numbers are cheap? I'm renting one side of a relatively new 3 BR 2 BA duplex in an average neighborhood for $750.

Of course, Mississippi real estate is not quite as coveted as LA or Vegas.

Eclypse 10-26-2005 10:29 AM

STUPID QUESTION

I've been looking at some of the renter's web sites and have a question:

What is the difference between an "appartment" and a "flat"?

10-26-2005 12:35 PM

Re: STUPID QUESTION

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

US/UK terms for the same thing

Eclypse 10-26-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

US/UK terms for the same thing

[/ QUOTE ]

But, at www.apartmentguide.com there are listings at the same building--with the same number of bedrooms--for two different prices. One is listed as a flat, and the other is listed as an apartment.

Jedster 10-26-2005 10:40 PM

some apartments, typically only 2br or 3br, are multi-level (especially if they have a garage). Flats aren't multilevel.