Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why is it possible to get runner runner cards to win? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=385492)

soko 11-26-2005 07:47 AM

Why is it possible to get runner runner cards to win?

Seriously. I am completly dumbfounded.

Perhaps it is my skills that don't allow me to grasp the concept of calling down with garbage

Are there people who exist, who feel, even at higher limit poker that calling down 2 random cards and hitting gutshot gutshot runner runner straight draws are worth shooting for?

Alright so I got bad beat by are few 1-33 shot drawouts, the post isn't asking for sympathy, I am serious interested

Do enough people exist in the world to call down with such grabage and hit such rare and unbelievable draws or do they just know what cards are going to come?

Pepsquad 11-26-2005 07:54 AM

Re: Why is it possible to get runner runner cards to win?

Yes, these people exist...and thank God for them. Your job would be much more difficult without them.

Jimbo 11-26-2005 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do enough people exist in the world to call down with such grabage and hit such rare and unbelievable draws or do they just know what cards are going to come?

[/ QUOTE ]

They obviously know what cards are coming. Do you think these people wwould step into the path of a speeding car if they didn't know it would swerve and miss them at the last moment? Why do you think people win the lottery? They know what numbers will be drawn for the jackpot.

Although these type of people with psychic powers are somewhat rare when you encounter one or more at your table you might as well either just hand them your bankroll or get up and find a softer game.

Jimbo

PokerAmateur4 11-27-2005 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it is my skills that don't allow me to grasp the concept of calling down with garbage

Are there people who exist, who feel, even at higher limit poker that calling down 2 random cards and hitting gutshot gutshot runner runner straight draws are worth shooting for?

Alright so I got bad beat by are few 1-33 shot drawouts, the post isn't asking for sympathy, I am serious interested

[/ QUOTE ]
Lame post

pzhon 11-27-2005 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it possible to get runner runner cards to win?

[/ QUOTE ]
"Because you touch yourself at night."
<font color="white">What a stupid question.</font>

11-27-2005 06:26 AM

have you even read SSHE?

11-27-2005 10:43 PM

It's obviously because online poker is rigged. No question.

Ricardido 11-27-2005 11:51 PM

Surely its good thing if theyre calling bets with random junk to suckout on you?

BluffTHIS! 11-28-2005 12:23 AM

It's possible because they don't spread flop-only HE, and insist on a 5 card board. But if they did spread it, the only action you would often get would be action you didn't want.

11-28-2005 12:43 AM

You think you have skills after a post like this? You're as big a fish as any.

winky51 11-28-2005 12:53 AM

In the midst of all the sarcastic responses I will give you a real one.

Lets say you got AK and flop As Th 6d in a loose game. This seems like a reasonable safe flop for you vs 6 loose players. So now you get just 3 callers. Assume the following hands

Jh 9h
8d 7c
Td 4d

With the board above you will win 56% of the time. Of course by the river only the fish that hits is showing his rediculous hand which seems to be the largest suckout on the planet. People play like idiots and out draw you with seemilngless retarded odds, thats poker. Add all these little chances together and its much larger than you think. Like ants taking down the large beetle. I have seen players call 2 cold with one over and a backdoor draw to beat my pair + draw. They do it and its frustrating.

But you also have to know when you have a marginal hand with more outs. Take this for example.

Opponent Qd Jc
You Ah 2h
Flop: 3h Qs 2d

It seems like you are far behind here but in actuallity you have a 26.2% chance to win by the river.

Change the hands to this

Opponent Qd Jc
You Kh 4h
Flop: 3h Qs 5d

You basically have nothing. No draw no pair. But if you add up all the weak backdoors and overcard you look at 20.7% to win the hand by the river. So now take 5 loose players calling with these kinds of hands. Adds up doesnt it.

So when facing several loose opponents their added crappy draws can make you 50/50 at best sometimes. 6 players call with a 6% chance to win each is still 36% chance they beat you. Hope this helps.

Kaeser 11-28-2005 03:24 AM

I think one of the best examples of this was in super system. They show hand where you have AK on a K high board against six other hands. Every card above a 3 on the turn that didn't help made someone else at least 2 pair.

tongni 11-28-2005 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 100/200 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 3d 7d (straight, seven high).
Hero has As Ks (one pair, aces).
Outcome: SB wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Thread over.

winky51 11-28-2005 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 100/200 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 3d 7d (straight, seven high).
Hero has As Ks (one pair, aces).
Outcome: SB wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Thread over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not he actually had an amazing 9% chance to beat you on the flop. Man that was a brutal bad beat.

11-28-2005 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They obviously know what cards are coming.

Although these type of people with psychic powers are somewhat rare when you encounter one or more at your table you might as well either just hand them your bankroll or get up and find a softer game.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to be psychic, you just need a pattern map.

11-28-2005 04:37 PM

I just started studying Chaos Theory. I think that'll give the ability to predict what's going to happen in a loose aggressive game.

11-28-2005 06:04 PM

You should be happy that you can get beat by 1:33 shots. It's what keeps those less skilled in the game - most of the time with the belief that they are good poker players.

11-28-2005 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely its good thing if theyre calling bets with random junk to suckout on you?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I always hear. But from what I've seen it isn't really true. Yes, the odds and such dictate that you want these types of calls. But when one of these luck-sacks is catching his runner-runner crap, it seems to go on forever. You SHOULD be winning, but he just keeps on catching those miracle cards. Then, the luck-sack goes to another game gives away all of the money he took from you to another player.

I don't care what anyone says... It's frustrating as hell when someone constantly sucks out on you. The notion that you actually want them making those calls against you isn't very comforting when he's counting your money.

BluffTHIS! 11-29-2005 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care what anyone says... It's frustrating as hell when someone constantly sucks out on you. The notion that you actually want them making those calls against you isn't very comforting when he's counting your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing at a level appropriate for your bankroll, then this should not be a problem long term. But if those suckouts endanger your roll, then you need to drop down in limits.

11-29-2005 03:40 AM

No, you won't find many of them, because they have gone broke and can't afford to play anymore. Since I do this for a living, I can tell you that I have busted many a player's bankroll after watching tables for awhile and then sitting at the ones where I can find those type of players.

Let them have their beat on you and laugh about it, because if they don't leave the table you will get their stack. If they do leave, make sure you have log of the time they played, their username, and the site, because you will want to watch for them when they come back.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-29-2005 10:08 AM

a) you want people to chase like this

b) make sure when you get beat like this you're not just seeing the hand that beats you. Your opponent may well have had what he thout were other outs to the best hand.

11-29-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lame post

[/ QUOTE ]

Fellas, Fellas, he jst needs a little lovin'

There is a whole forum for this stuff now, the mod should be a liscensed shrink, cause this is gonna be good.

KingDan 11-29-2005 06:04 PM

I know some intelligent people who truly believe in 'feelings' in cards.

People who call looking for runner runner aren't playing to make money, they are playing for entertainment. If they hit, good for them. Don't be a dick about it and ruin their fun.

gabbahh 11-29-2005 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously. I am completly dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-29-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some intelligent people who truly believe in 'feelings' in cards.

People who call looking for runner runner aren't playing to make money, they are playing for entertainment. If they hit, good for them. Don't be a dick about it and ruin their fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the "don't be a dick about it is really important" -I hate to see a bad player berated at the table 'cos thier 7-2o beat pocket A's - it might make them leave the table for one thing.

ohnonotthat 12-07-2005 07:50 AM

Quote:

Make sure when you get beat like this you're not just seeing the hand that beats you. Your opponent may well have had what he thout were other outs to the best hand.

Excellent point.

Also, the OP quoted odds of 33-1 against hitting runners to a gutshot; this is not the correct figure.

The actual odds are 1-1; it either happens or it doesn't.

So help me I had a guy say that almost word for word the other day; and 3 of the other lemmings nodded in agreement.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

sunek 12-07-2005 08:06 AM

Sometimes they just read the board or opponant badly. Middle set againts top pair with no draws needs runner runner to win, however you will experience these situations often and not think much about it. Only when you opponant wins 1-2 % at the times you will start to think and make postings like yours.

sunek

12-07-2005 12:46 PM

Dear Soko,

I have to say that, sometimes, action junkies will take a shot at the crazy because of the feeling generated when they win and when they lose. I have done it and I honestly feel that sometimes, you play poker for business and others for the thrill. Poker is very boring when the thrill is not there. For me, I enjoy both the long waits and the occasional craziness that is generated from "doing the wrong thing at the right time." I get the shakes when that kind of thrill happens. But, If you really are a strict poker player, and hope to make a living at it. you must be willing to do crazy things from time to time. Poker, like life, is all about the thrill, the skill and the accomplishment of making it through another day or hand.
Good Luck and Good skill to you..
yours truly,
IamSuperman

12-07-2005 02:34 PM

I'm psychic to the point to where I can't say what the next card will be, but I CAN tell you what it won't be.....whatever it is I need to fill my hand.

12-07-2005 04:25 PM

if no one ever chased runner-runner, you wouldnt win big pots.