Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Microlimits Progress Quest: Post plans/updates/setbacks here. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=66406)

bisonbison 02-09-2004 02:47 PM

Microlimits Progress Quest: Post plans/updates/setbacks here.

I've been made to understand that user signatures have gone the way of the dodo, robbing me and many others of the ability to brag and commiserate about the short-term/long-term goals we've set ourselves as poker players.

So, rather than give up, I've decided to start a centralized thread for anyone who wants it, a la nykenny's 10k in 100 hours posts. If you're working your way up in limits, or shooting for a money goal, feel free to share, post interesting hands or celebrate milestones.

Here's me as of 2/9/2004, having started this new thing on New Year's Day.

Operation Boondoggle
Goal: .5/1 to 3/6 in 2004.
Milestones: 300BB @ each level.
Current limit: .5/1
Hands: 4539
Earnings: +243BB
Rate: 5.35BB/100

Comments: Well, I had a simply huge weekend, up 117BB in something like 20 table-hours of play, doing 3 .5/1 Party tables at a time.

Before this weekend, I'd been looking through my session data, and found that I'd been playing a lot of sessions of a half-hour or less. I decided I'd be getting better table reads and better pokertracker data on people if I played fewer, longer sessions. This weekend I played at least 9 sessions of an hour or more (3 tables at a time), and had pretty good results in all of them. Even for the tables where I posted a loss, I was able to better see which part of it was my own play and which part of it was variance due to table conditions.

All in all, I feel like I've really turned a corner in my poker abilities. I'm not great, and I'm not even particularly good, but I'm finally beating .5/1 consistently and confidently, and I don't find myself sweating preflop decisions much anymore. Can't thank micro enough for that, and I'm looking forward to moving to 1/2 in a couple of weeks. Too bad Party can't seem to keep the 1/2 10-seaters full.

Trix 02-09-2004 02:58 PM

Re: Microlimits Progress Quest: Post plans/updates/setbacks here.

The 1/2 tables suck at party imo, there isnt enough. I´ll skip them and try getting enough money for 2/4 instead.
Currently 2/3s of the way.
Good Luck
-Trix

bisonbison 02-09-2004 03:05 PM

Well, I know they're rock gardens, but I want to earn at least $600 more (after I reach 300BB at .5/1) before I give 2/4 a shot. That'll give me 225BB for 2/4, and if I earn 300BB at 2/4, I'll have 260BB for 3/6.

Once I break 300BB at .5/1, I figure I'll play as many 1/2 full games as possible, and if I can't find a decent table, play .5/1.

Trix 02-09-2004 03:11 PM

Oh, I missunderstood you then, I thought you wanted to have 300 1/2 BBs before moving up...

fluff 02-09-2004 03:16 PM

Consider bonus whoring. If you do, you should have no problem getting 300 BBs ($1200) for a 2/4 game while only playing 0.5/1 games for 300 BBs at that level ($300).

bisonbison 02-09-2004 03:17 PM

Earning 300BB playing 1/2 is the goal, but I only play at Party, and I'm not interested in making this harder than it already is.

I'll be playing as much 1/2 as possible, but if I'm winning consistently after a few thousand hands and it's clear that good 1/2 tables are just too scarce, I'll build a $900 bankroll in .5/1 + 1/2 and move on up to the promised land of 2/4.

IF I am winning consistently. IF I get the bankroll. Those are the main purposes of this thing, setting myself goals with clear ways to evaluate my performance and then moving up when it's clear I won't be in over my head.

Lost Wages 02-09-2004 03:24 PM

Hands: 4539
Rate: 5.35BB/100

Obviously you are playing well and are off to a good start but recognize that you are also running well. Expect some short term setbacks do to the high standard deviation in these loose games. The short term can eaisly be 10,000+ hands. Good luck.

Lost Wages

Sam T. 02-09-2004 03:28 PM

Well, I'm a few weeks behind you, and don't have a name for the operation, but it sounds like we're headed in similar directions. My goal is to move up as I show I can beat games over the long term. I started with a $200 buy-in and have been playing .5/1. I will move up when I get to $500.

Since I started tracking my play in detail on January 27th:

Current limit: .5/1 (on Party, but I'm going to start playing Paradise for the bonus)
Hands: 1195
Hours: 24.25
Earnings: +138 BB
Rate: 5.7BB/hour

Questions:
-Everything I've read tells me that this winning-rate cannot be sustained. Statistically speaking, am I headed for a crash?

On the horizon:
-Playing multiple tables. I tried it for play money, and had a hell of a time keeping track of where I was sitting, let alone the cards. Mebbe I'm stoopid.
-Trying a Sit n' Go. Different than the ring game, but could be a fun change of pace.
-Read HFAP. So far I've been relying on WLLH and Sklansky and Malmuth's introduction to the game.

Good luck, and stay tuned.

Trix 02-09-2004 03:31 PM

I can still improve my game playing .5/1 and I will probably hit 1200 in a week or two anyways, so im fine.

bisonbison 02-09-2004 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you are playing well and are off to a good start but recognize that you are also running well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this weekend really skewed things. On Friday, I was at about 3.00/100. That's why I've set the earning goals, to keep me from moving up any faster than I might otherwise want to.

B Dids 02-09-2004 03:34 PM

My goals.

I've got 50 bucks (so 25BB at the .5/1 table- right) in Party. I want to make another 25BB, and cash that out- so I'm functionally playing for free.

Then I want to play till I hit a sufficient bankroll to play at the 1/2 tables. Suggestions on what that bankroll should be? How many BB should you be playing with at any given time?

scotnt73 02-09-2004 03:34 PM

you should try the 1/2 6 max. you just sit down with a fork in each hand. of course you have to spend a few days getting used to shorthanded. i lost 250$ the first 4 days before getting the hang of it and winning the 250$ back that weekend. i actually have enough bankroll nowdays for 3/6 full tables but am waiting for 1000 more dollars so i can play 5/10(6 max). its TONS more fun too.

bisonbison 02-09-2004 03:39 PM

I've got 50 bucks (so 25BB at the .5/1 table- right) in Party. I want to make another 25BB, and cash that out- so I'm functionally playing for free.

A BB is equal to the bet size on the turn and river, so for .5/1 a BB = $1, for 2/4 a BB = $4. So $50 = 50BB at .5/1.

I would strongly suggest not cashing out until you have built a bankroll. You will still be playing from your profits as long as you're profitable, but if you suffer a downswing, you'll be glad you don't have to do redeposit. Trust me, it's dispiriting.

If you're not willing to reload, a very comfortable roll for a winning player is 300BB.

RcrdBoy 02-09-2004 03:44 PM

Good luck with your goals.

I've just passed the 300BB barrier (started with 50) playing at .50/$1 on Party. Have around 5k hands in my database and continue to try and plug leaks.

The frustrating part about moving up for me is getting over the fear of losing my hard earned roll and playing more WT than I already do.

I play semi-regularly $4/$8 live and buy in for $100 and don't ever worry about busting out.

Anyone else have/had that problem when moving up levels?

-Mike

Lost Wages 02-09-2004 03:49 PM

Statistically speaking, am I headed for a crash?

No, there is no tendancy for things to "even up". However, if you play long enough you will have extended periods where you have a net loss (1000's of hands).

Trying a Sit n' Go. Different than the ring game, but could be a fun change of pace.

Yes, very different, but also a lot of fun. For some reason I prefer the no-limit SNG's even though I play limit ring games. I guess I like the option of pushing-in if I get short stacked. Don't play the $5 SNG's at Party, they have a $1 charge which is the same as the $10. UB has $5+.50 SNG's.

Read HFAP

Good idea.

Lost Wages

B Dids 02-09-2004 03:54 PM

Thanks. I'll think twice about cashing out. In part I'm tempted to cash out because by not doing so I'm making something of a commitment to spending a hell of a lot of time in front of my computer- and I do too much of that already. If I can actually realize profits from it (rather than just having it sit in a non-interest earning account) it makes it more worthwhile.

That said- I really enjoy the game, and want to get better- and your point about re-buying and a good bankroll size is well taken.

Lost Wages 02-09-2004 03:55 PM

The frustrating part about moving up for me is getting over the fear of losing my hard earned roll

Don't be afraid to move back down if things don't go well. Also, think of your playing bankroll as a tool, not money.

I play semi-regularly $4/$8 live and buy in for $100

That's a very short buy-in. Standard is about 25BB or $200 for 4/8.

Lost Wages

bunky9590 02-09-2004 04:06 PM

4/8 you should be buying in for 200. IMHO

CardCuda 02-09-2004 04:38 PM

Started 11-01-03 with $280.00 keeping records and such - current "operation":

Goal: $2000 B/R by 04/01/04 @ .50-1.00 then will play $1-2 (2 tables)

Milestone: +1200.00 1/28/04

Curr Limit: .50-1.00 2 Tables (some $1-2 play)

Current B/R: $630.00 (cashed out $900.00) Playing on Net earnings! Sweet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rate: 4.33/Hr. @ .50-1.00 (2 tables)
6.21/Hr @ 1-2 (single table) 78 hrs of play

I'm confident that I could move to 1-2 now, (I take shots at it here and there now) but I want the added B/R I will play 500hrs at each level and continue to move up with a substantial cushion to soak up the variance.

I did take a shot @ $2-4 12/11/03 and got kicked pretty hard (-50BB's) recovered @ .50 tables and will be back when I'm better prepared 2005 probably.

PS - I only play 1 site (Paradise) So I might Bonus Whore the other sites soon, before making a permanent move to the $1-2 game. Build the B/R again and move some to another site

Festus22 02-09-2004 04:40 PM

Good post.

I've been playing steadily for about the past 9 months or so almost exclusively at the micro limits. I just crossed $3K in earnings with maybe $800 of that coming from bonus whoring. I played a little over 1000 hands at Party $1/2 and my rate was lower than that of Party $0.5/1 so I stopped $1/2. I have about 250 hands at $2/4 and am down 18 BB's. I probably played too tight (14% Flops) but didn't get a lot of hands either.

Now my issue is I know I busted my butt building my bankroll to date and don't relish the thought of giving a ton of it back while trying to figure out if I can be profitable at $2/4. But to give it a fair shot, I know I need to expect a downswing. It's the old risk/reward balancing act.

So what's the best plan when $1/2 sucks and $2/4 places several weeks of profit at risk to give it a decent shot?

ChipWrecked 02-09-2004 06:32 PM

1/2 short-handed Party

Oh, Yeah!!! I love this game. Playing the short-handed strategy in HPFAP will get you the money.

The players used to full-table will curse you and question your (to them) maniacal play; which makes it all the more fun. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: While clearing a bonus at Empire, I've been sitting at .50/1 tables with three or four players. You have to jump tables a bit but it's worth it.

"Morrrris! Din-din!"

fluff 02-09-2004 07:12 PM

"Now my issue is I know I busted my butt building my bankroll to date and don't relish the thought of giving a ton of it back while trying to figure out if I can be profitable at $2/4. But to give it a fair shot, I know I need to expect a downswing. It's the old risk/reward balancing act."

Go play the 0.5/1 games at Pokerstars. Those games are about as hard if not a bit harder than Party 2/4 games. So you can learn tough tables at a cheaper price.

RcrdBoy 02-10-2004 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I play semi-regularly $4/$8 live and buy in for $100

That's a very short buy-in. Standard is about 25BB or $200 for 4/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? I usually have $200 on me, but have never come close to rebuying. I've only played a handful of times so I know it doesn't even come close to giving me a real idea of how these tables play, but man they seem soft. Live has been so much more passive than on line.

In more than 30 hours of live play I haven't even seen a check raise and the hand selection is just as loose as Party .50/$1.00.

Either way, they compliment each other nicely.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Mike

jonahmavesin 02-10-2004 01:50 AM

Re: 1/2 short-handed Party

Is short-handed actually more profitable?

Is variance higher?

Doesn't the rake eat you up?

As for bankroll progress - I am up to 450BB at 1/2. When I hit 600, I'll move to 2/4 with 300BB. It will definitely be nice to get out of these damn 1/2s!

HajiShirazu 02-10-2004 11:03 PM

I started one of these 2 weeks ago, and just got won my 300bbs to move up to 1/2. I don't see what's wrong with the 1/2 full games at party. The pots aren't as big, but I have actually been taking some of them down with bluffs.

Trix 02-13-2004 11:12 AM

Started 4. of January 04.
Goal: 1 Month at each limit and then move to the next with sufficient bankroll.
Febuary sux, too short.

bisonbison 02-14-2004 02:41 PM

Well, I broke 300BB at .5/1 today since 1/1/2004, but I've earned the last 50 or so kinda ugly (see the Gigantic pot post) and tilt-like (calling raises w/gutshot straight draw and spiking my 4 outer). So I think I'll spend 1000 more hands in the land of .5/1 and see if I can't keep my VP$IP under 20, my PFR above 5 and my postflop chasing in check.

Brian 02-14-2004 02:52 PM

A Poker Odyssey

I am doing something similiar to this that JasonHoldEm (now JustJason) came up with. Both are very similiar in nature to the OIC. You can read more about it at: www.pokerodyssey.com .

Anyways, I am still going to 3 table 3/6 (have to pay the bills :P), but I changed my 4th table into a .5/1 table about a week ago. So far here are my stats (I may keep a journal like Jason if anyone would be interested in reading it):

Start Date: 2/02/04
Start Money: $0 [well, ok, a little bit so I could play [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]]

Current Date: 2/14/04
Current Money: $129

I am currently up 129bb, which means only about 20 more bb to go until I hit 1/2. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I started off really rocky, down about 60 bucks, and almost decided "f it, I am going back to 3/6". But, I want to get to 15/30 pretty soon, and this seems like the best way to do it, so I gritted my teeth and beared it. Eventually the dry streak settled and I am close to 1/2. I sure didn't think it'd take this long to get past .5/1, but it has been a long time since I played and I had to make a couple of strategy adjustments. Such as taking off the auto-raise button when I see AJo or 99 in EP, etc.

-Brian

bisonbison 02-27-2004 04:40 AM

Well, two weeks ago I said I'd met my bankroll goal for .5/1 but I wanted to spend another thousand hands or so tuning up before moving up. It turned out I hit a big downswing, 120BB, absolutely my most brutal time since I sort of got my feet under me last fall.

Well, steady play over the last 2000 hands has brought me back above 300BB at .5/1, and I think I'll start playing a table of .5/1 and a table of 1/2 (10 handed) at the same time to ease into the next level.

One thing I'm wondering about (I've played 150 hours, 8600 hands, so I know that the stats are very vague right now): my winrate is 3.6/100 hands, and my Standard Deviation seems huge at 18.6/100 hands. Is this a number I should worry about, does it just mean that I'm playing a lot of high variance hands, or is the sample size so small as to be meaningless?

I just feel like these large bankroll fluctuations are partly the games but a lot my own play. Is it too much?

AviD 02-27-2004 11:14 AM

I've been playing PokerStars for a little over a week now and the .5/1 are certainly alot tougher and tighter than Party. Bluffing and Semi-Bluffing seems to be quite profitable there, whereas at Party you get called alot more than you'd like.

Last night was the first aggressive table session I had at PS, and a strange table texture...same players but constant shifts from LAG to tight. Probably a good time to move out onto another table...but I did manage to win about 10BB in about 2 hours before dropping about 10BB on the 2+2 Party table! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ric 02-27-2004 05:30 PM

I've been playing since a little before New Year's, seeing if I do well at Hold 'em or not. I got my Party account because my dad decided that he wasn't doing well and gave it me to play around with. I asked for WLLHE for my birthday, and since using some of the concepts in that and HPFAP I've been able to turn that $30 into about $260 (including deposit bonuses) playing .50/1. I think I'll give 1/2 a shot this weekend, if that doesn't work out I'll drop back to .50/1. It was good timing that I got the $20 Party bonus and the 'FEBRELEASE' bonus just as I was switching my money back to Party from Pacific. I've been having a blast, and learning a lot. It's a fun experience.

symphonic 02-27-2004 05:42 PM

Operation Stop Sucking!

Trying to make 300BB for 1/2, then move up, and continue to do so until i'm out of the micro limits.

Current status: +53BB($103 total bankroll, started at $50) at .5/1 after 2 hours of play. (I just started this Operation last night [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

ctv1116 02-27-2004 05:48 PM

bisonbison, Homer in his simulation about skill vs. luck, assumed a 1BB/hr win rate and 10BB/hr standard deviation. Assuming you play 50 hands/hr, that corresponds to a 14.1 BB/100 hands standard deviation. And considering that 0.5/1 is much looser and wilder than say, 5-10, you're standard deviation seems about right.

AviD 02-27-2004 06:00 PM

Good start, 26.5BB/hour. Just don't get too set on those numbers...because they are sure to lower! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

B Dids 02-27-2004 06:07 PM

I'm current at around 6BB/HR. I'm up to 105 from my original 50. I played two tournaments and lost, so my winnings/progress for my .5/1 play is really more like 125 total/75 in profit.

symphonic 02-27-2004 06:34 PM

Oh trust me, I know. Those are merely my numbers since starting my project, my numbers normally aren't nearly that high. I had a hot run of cards last night is all.

Trix 03-02-2004 03:02 PM

Update

Hi all

Reached +1200 today [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I thought I would have been there ealier, but had some nasty swings. It was good practice for playing without tilting when loosing though. I need more of that, loosing affects my game [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
I´m glad people told me to play 1/2, though I probably would have made it faster at the .5/1 tables. Definatly learned more by moving up.

For those who cares about the stats:

It´s 5.29$/Hour/Table, It´s a mix of 2* .5/1, 1* 1/2 and 2* 1/2.

Next goal is +1800, so I hope I can make 600 more before the 4. of April and futher improve my game while doing it.

Thx for the help all.
-Trix

B Dids 03-02-2004 04:15 PM

Re: Update

My update... Moving costs money- had to cash out 60 to cover myself till payday. I'm planing on putting it back into play, but maybe at Stars instead.

PokerNoob 03-02-2004 04:51 PM

I've been playing since last fall and I've at least 4 or 5X'ed my original buy in. I've been doing some bonus whoring. I bought PokerTracker at the beginning of Febuary and my ring game stats (1,700 hands all at party 2/4) are 4.8 BB/100 hands. I've been playing a good many $10+1 SNG's at party and I'm at least 80% in the money. I've been playing a lot of 6 max 1/2 at the prima skins to clear bonus and tournament qualify. Its hard to keep track, but my roll keeps going up, so I guess I'm doing ok.

I feel that I am at a crossroads though. I don't think my play is getting much better. There is no doubt I need to crack a few books. I also don't know where I should go from here. I'd like to improve my full ring game and see if I can really beat this level badly and move up. But I'd also like to develop some sharp shorthanded and headsup skills. I also enjoy Sit and Go's and think maybe I should try the $30+3's. There's also the whole world of pot and no limit to explore. But I feel like I should concentrate mainly on just one thing for now. I also want to get back to my own OIC. I think I am in 3/6 in that particular endeavor, but I've been doing the shorthanded stuff instead.

I think my plan for this month will be: 1) Clear the empire bonus at 2/4 full ring. 2) Clear the small site monthly bonuses at 1/2 or whatever level is right for my roll. 3) Try some $30+3's 4) Personal OIC at 3/6. 5) Read a book. I guess HEFAP??? Any other suggestions?

AviD 03-02-2004 05:08 PM

Re: Update

Trix:

What are your stats like?

BB/hour?
BB/100?
VP$IP?
Flop percentage?
Hours of play?
Number of hands?