Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   ***Official BCS Selection Thread*** (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391249)

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:02 PM

***Official BCS Selection Thread***

5pm East on ABC.

I'll post the games as they are announced.

imported_CaseClosed326 12-04-2005 06:03 PM

Re: ***Official BCS Selection Thread***

I predict a lot of bitching in this thread.

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:04 PM

Obviously,

Rose Bowl

#1 USC vs #2 Texas

WLVRYN 12-04-2005 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I predict a lot of bitching in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. Oregon is the only one that could be getting jobbed since OSU will be #4 (and an automatic BCS birth)thanks to the two upsets yesterday. ND is a clear choice over Oregon for a multitude of reasons already discussed.

imported_CaseClosed326 12-04-2005 06:13 PM

I stand by my prediction.

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:15 PM

Orange Bowl

#3 Penn State vs #22 Florida State

EricW 12-04-2005 06:16 PM

lol FSU

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:17 PM

i feel bad for PSU. They've played great all year, and get stuck against a weak FSU team.

FSU deserves to play West Virginia

MasterShakes 12-04-2005 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel bad for PSU. They've played great all year, and get stuck against a weak FSU team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't PSU always get stuck? Hasn't Patterno had three undefeated teams, none of which have won the "national title"?

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:28 PM

Fiesta Bowl

#4 tOSU vs #6 Notre Dame

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

imported_CaseClosed326 12-04-2005 06:28 PM

w00t let's go ND

WLVRYN 12-04-2005 06:29 PM

ND is an automatic in since they finished top 6. I wasnt sure where they'd finish with VT and LSU also having 2 losses. They would have gotten the birth anyway.

TomCollins 12-04-2005 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ND is an automatic in since they finished top 6. I wasnt sure where they'd finish with VT and LSU also having 2 losses. They would have gotten the birth anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Oregon can't complain.

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:29 PM

Sugar Bowl

#7 Georgia vs #11 West Virginia

edited to fix name of bowl and add ranks

TomCollins 12-04-2005 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Orange Bowl

Georgia vs West Virginia

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

MasterShakes 12-04-2005 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't PSU always get stuck? Hasn't Patterno had three undefeated teams, none of which have won the "national title"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they hadn't blown that game to Michigan, they likely wouldn't have made it in anyway. They also likely would have gone on to win their bowl game, making it his 4th undefeated non-national championship team.

TomCollins 12-04-2005 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they hadn't blown that game to Michigan, they likely wouldn't have made it in anyway. They also likely would have gone on to win their bowl game, making it his 4th undefeated non-national championship team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Computers would have had them at #1. It would have been close.

WLVRYN 12-04-2005 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Now Oregon can't complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they can, but it will probably fall on dear ears. Its too bad that there are only 3 other teams that have the same or better record than them and Oregon got shut out, but they also shouldnt be scheduling I-AA opponents either. I cant believe that they didnt try to buy their way out of that game after what happened to Auburn last year. Why any decent I-A program would schedule a I-AA opponent is beyond stupid.

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Computers may have had them at number 1. too bad that the human polls count for 2/3s of the calculation.

WLVRYN 12-04-2005 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Computers may have had them at number 1. too bad that the human polls count for 2/3s of the calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas was #1 in the BCS earlier this year when SC was #1 in both human polls, so it could happen. I guess PSU could have stolen a few #1 votes in the human polls, which may have been enough to get them up there, but I dont think anyone could really think that PSU is better than either Texas or SC. I told you guys a few weeks back that Michigan saved PSU fans a bunch of complaining about how they were getting screwed.

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:51 PM

these season highlights are bring back bad memories for everyone, unless you happen to be a USC/Texas fan.

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 06:54 PM

for some reason, they showed the Capital One Bowl, which will be

#9 Auburn vs #18 Wisconsin

SomethingClever 12-04-2005 07:01 PM

I'm boycotting all games except for USC/Texas.

[censored] every part of the country that's not Oregon.

Clarkmeister 12-04-2005 07:01 PM

To all you SEC bashers, I'll take Georgia against WV. Any takers?

WLVRYN 12-04-2005 07:02 PM

For all the Michigan haters out there, rejoice. I heard that we got jobbed and will be going to Alamo Bowl vs Nebraska rather than the Outback Bowl vs Florida. They took Iowa rather than us, and we beat Iowa this year. I would have liked to play Florida.

private joker 12-04-2005 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so now you jump on our bandwagon after picking LSU to beat Shockley and the Dawgs yesterday. Sigh.

Clarkmeister 12-04-2005 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so now you jump on our bandwagon after picking LSU to beat Shockley and the Dawgs yesterday. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me where I picked LSU. Please.

banditbdl 12-04-2005 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad? The reason you have the human element is to keep what would have been an undefeated PSU team at #3.

ChromePony 12-04-2005 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Oregon can't complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure this is entirely accurate...

pokerdirty 12-04-2005 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad? The reason you have the human element is to keep what would have been an undefeated PSU team at #3.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you for spelling out my point. moron.

Mr. Zero 12-04-2005 10:11 PM

Three compelling matchups. If only the Big East wasn't part of the equation, we might have had four. For all the BCS critics (of which I'm one), it actually worked this year.

lastchance 12-04-2005 10:37 PM

*cough* FSU *cough*

If only Va Tech beat FSU, we'd have 4 nice matchups.

Clarkmeister 12-04-2005 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it actually worked this year

[/ QUOTE ]

It "works" every year in which there are exactly two undefeated major conference teams. And that's about it.

MyTurn2Raise 12-04-2005 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're probably talking about me....the blue background with the Chief

I did pick Georgia to win the SEC back on October 23rd in the final 8 thread...so I'm not exactly a Georgia basher

utmt40 12-04-2005 11:37 PM

BCS sucks!

MyTurn2Raise 12-04-2005 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BCS sucks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not disagree more

Mr. Zero 12-04-2005 11:46 PM

I'll watch Bowden v. Paterno.

private joker 12-05-2005 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Show me where I picked LSU. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my bad. You and My Turn 2 Raise have the same avatar.

Sluss 12-05-2005 09:36 AM

Nice. Well we got one, maybe two good games out of the BCS. I say maybe two beacause I think USC will throttle a highly overrated Texas team. That leaves us with only ND vs. OSU and I have to work during that game. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Hornacek 12-05-2005 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it actually worked this year

[/ QUOTE ]

It "works" every year in which there are exactly two undefeated major conference teams. And that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

and the sad thing is it woulda worked with the old system too.

the bcs pretty much solves what it was set forth to do: choose the best 2 teams (scientifically, which may be flawed), to play for the national title.

any time there are 3 undefeated teams and no playoffs, people are going to whine and bitch about it.

honestly, to all your BCS bashers out there, what do you expect this system to do, magically give on of the three teams a loss?

Playoffs are the only solution, but the greedy NCAA won't have any of it.