Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Einstein versus...... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=165587)

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 12:35 PM

Einstein versus......

Say you have Einstein and the world's greatest limit hold 'em player, let's say David Sklansky, in a heads-up match.

Assume Einstein has never played the game before, but is taught the basic rules before beginning.

Starting chips 10,000. The blinds are set at 5/10, and never go up.

Who wins?

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 12:36 PM

Re: Einstein versus......

Sklansky.

nicky g 12-22-2004 12:37 PM

What about Einstein vs a bear? Say you train Einstein in no holds barred fighting for a year first? Who wins?

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 12:37 PM

Sklansky, next question.

PhatTBoll 12-22-2004 12:38 PM

Ditka

Alobar 12-22-2004 12:41 PM

einstien wouldnt stand a chance

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky, next question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so cut and dried?

With the blinds and betting limits so low relative to the size of the stacks, don't you think one of the greatest minds of all time would have time to adapt and perhaps put up a challenge?

What if the stacks were a million chips?

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky, next question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so cut and dried?

With the blinds and betting limits so low relative to the size of the stacks, don't you think one of the greatest minds of all time would have time to adapt and perhaps put up a challenge?

What if the stacks were a million chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 12:43 PM

here is why its Sklansky too, and I will use anecdotal evidence to support it. Michael Jordan was/is a phenomenal athlete, but he tried to play pro baseball. He was basically taught the basics, and maybe even a little bit more than the basics, but he couldn't even come close to hanging with people that had been playing for years. Its the same way in poker. As Bernie would say, you get out what you put in, and no one could possibly be a winning player right of the bat, no matter how smart they are.

jakethebake 12-22-2004 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Einstein vs a bear? Say you train Einstein in no holds barred fighting for a year first? Who wins?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends what kind of training he gets. Is it Gracie Jiu Jitsu? What would be the best stylew against a bear. I know the correct answer but want to see what people will say. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 12:47 PM

Greatest minds of all time? He'es definitely up there, but what about Newton, Socrates, Archimedes, DaVinci, Van Gogh, Shakespeare. All great minds, but they'd all suck at Poker. I'll take Richard Millhouse Nixon over any great mind any day in a poker game.

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here is why its Sklansky too, and I will use anecdotal evidence to support it. Michael Jordan was/is a phenomenal athlete, but he tried to play pro baseball. He was basically taught the basics, and maybe even a little bit more than the basics, but he couldn't even come close to hanging with people that had been playing for years. Its the same way in poker. As Bernie would say, you get out what you put in, and no one could possibly be a winning player right of the bat, no matter how smart they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the analogy.

But don't you think that Einstein would grasp almost immediately the nature of the game and all the probabilities? Plus he would most likely understand the fundamentals of game theory right off the bat, too, which is important for HU play.

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 12:48 PM

Well, I said "one" of the greatest minds of all time, and I don't think that can be argued.

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 12:51 PM

I am sure he would pick all that up quickly, but in one session, very doubtful. Plus there is no telling how a bad beat would affect him. I think if someone as smart as him(or for that matter any of the "great" minds throughout time) spent several hundred hours studying poker, they would kill everyone at it. There are some things waaay to complex for me to truely grasp about gambling and for that matter poker. They would also be very analytical and decisive. But to be honest with you, who says Sklansky isn't all of those things already?

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greatest minds of all time? He'es definitely up there, but what about Newton, Socrates, Archimedes, DaVinci, Van Gogh, Shakespeare. All great minds, but they'd all suck at Poker. I'll take Richard Millhouse Nixon over any great mind any day in a poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]All of these clowns were Free Masons and in the Illuminati [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], supposedly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

jakethebake 12-22-2004 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of these clowns were Free Masons and in the Illuminati [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], supposedly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Were? They discovered the secret of immortality centuries ago and they're still alive and still rule the world from behind the curtain.

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure he would pick all that up quickly, but in one session, very doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah... but this would be an incredibly long session, even if it was capped on every street on every hand.

Let's raise the stacks from 10,000 chips to 500,000.

With a bet limit of 10, that'd take like a year.

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I said "one" of the greatest minds of all time, and I don't think that can be argued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i think my post started off arguing whether Einstein was one of the greatest mind of all time, but then I stopped myself before saying something dumb. I don't blame you for the confusion.

Any way, if you want a real GreatesMindEver/Poker Player, I'll take Renes desCartes

elwoodblues 12-22-2004 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, is your question really - Could Einstein learn to play poker (given enough time) as some great players? If so, probably.

andyfox 12-22-2004 01:06 PM

There's an Einstein exhibit, here in L.A. at one of our museums; I'm going to attend next week. I'll see if there's any information there to help answer the question. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I've heard that Einstein ended up at Princeton because Cal-Tech refused to pay him the $10,000/year he wanted as his salary. After all, who did he think he was, Einstein? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, is your question really - Could Einstein learn to play poker (given enough time) as some great players? If so, probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd have the intelligence, but I don't think he'd have the discipline to spend a year on something as boring as poker.

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure he would pick all that up quickly, but in one session, very doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah... but this would be an incredibly long session, even if it was capped on every street on every hand.

Let's raise the stacks from 10,000 chips to 500,000.

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically, you are asking if Einstein could learn the game, properly, in a year while solely playing and doing no studying? No, I don't think he could, regardless of how smart he was, he would constantly revert back to bad habits and misplays.

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i think my post started off arguing whether Einstein was one of the greatest mind of all time, but then I stopped myself before saying something dumb. I don't blame you for the confusion.

Any way, if you want a real GreatesMindEver/Poker Player, I'll take Renes desCartes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, some of those guys from the olden days were pretty smart, I tell ya.

Ever read any Neal Stephenson? Really, really, really intelligent historical characters figure prominently in a lot of his works, and he writes about them in a way that's pretty fascinating.

Guys like Newton, Hooke, Huygens and Leibniz, for example.

ThaSaltCracka 12-22-2004 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of these clowns were Free Masons and in the Illuminati [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], supposedly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Were? They discovered the secret of immortality centuries ago and they're still alive and still rule the world from behind the curtain.

[/ QUOTE ]no, more precisely, this means they obviously had x-ray visions, and thus could read all the cards. duh!

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 01:19 PM

Hooke? that microscope guy, I love him, he discovered the cell, didn't he? Another cool guy of historical interest, Carnot. he named a cycle after himself

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 01:26 PM

Yeah, there's this part in "Quicksilver" where Hooke and some other guy (a fictional character) are doing an experiment on how long they can keep a dog alive by using a bellows to make it breathe. Of course they have cut the dog open to observe its heart while they're doing this.

Pretty sick, but fascinating.

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 01:29 PM

if I ever get around to a reading list, this guy is on the list (Stephenson).

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 01:31 PM

Read Cryptonomicon first. Then Snow Crash. Then the others.

jagoff 12-22-2004 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greatest minds of all time? Newton, Socrates, Archimedes, DaVinci, Van Gogh, Shakespeare.

[/ QUOTE ]

MORONS!

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 12-22-2004 01:33 PM

Bruce lee could beat sklansky.

jdl22 12-22-2004 01:35 PM

Apparently John von Neumann sucked at poker. One would expect him to be much better than Einstein so I'm going to go with Sklansky.

Evan 12-22-2004 02:02 PM

I think Einstein would be in trouble against far weaker players than David Sklansky. Honestly, I would bet on myself in the scenario you described. Poker is not a very intuitive game in many repects.

jakethebake 12-22-2004 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bruce lee could beat sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]
But could he beat a tiger?

SomethingClever 12-22-2004 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not a very intuitive game in many repects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but neither is the theory of Relativity...

Lazymeatball 12-22-2004 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now i dare you to provide some correlation between the two.

jakethebake 12-22-2004 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now i dare you to provide some correlation between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand either one well enough. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

daryn 12-22-2004 03:14 PM

einstein would get crushed vs. almost anyone on this site. well, not the idiots. you know what i mean.

poker's not his game. he would get checkraised on the turn, and all he would be thinking of is how to unify gravity with the quantum forces.

Patrick del Poker Grande 12-22-2004 03:47 PM

Don't you guys remember when Mike McD walked into the judges' game? I would own Einstein. Bring it, Al!

FatMan 12-22-2004 03:54 PM

Why not add Stephen Hawking, Sir Isaac Newton and Data. They can all play on the Holodeck.

MS Sunshine 12-22-2004 04:00 PM

"Van Gogh"

I think this one might have tilt issues.

MS Sunshine