Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What should I do in Germany? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339695)

Thythe 09-18-2005 11:20 PM

What should I do in Germany?

I know nothing about what to do in Germany and am going there in early December. I'll only be there for a week and will probably spend a day or two in Amsterdam. Besides for that, what should I do? I'll have a train pass for access to the whole country but don't want to waste time on boring attractions. I'm in to historical type stuff (Berlin Wall, etc) and outdoors kind of stuff. Shopping, art, opera type stuff is definitely not what I want. Thanks for the help!

oreogod 09-18-2005 11:27 PM

Re: What should I do in Germany?

go to amsterdam, [censored] a hot prostitute for 50 euros (minus tip)

09-18-2005 11:30 PM

make shizer pr0n

Publos Nemesis 09-18-2005 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about what to do in Germany and am going there in early December. I'll only be there for a week and will probably spend a day or two in Amsterdam. Besides for that, what should I do? I'll have a train pass for access to the whole country but don't want to waste time on boring attractions. I'm in to historical type stuff (Berlin Wall, etc) and outdoors kind of stuff. Shopping, art, opera type stuff is definitely not what I want. Thanks for the help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore the donkeys. My two recommendations would be to go to a castle, which ever one makes sense. They have many there, so you should go to one close to wherever you are travelling. You should also go to a soccer game. They are really fun in Germany.

Thythe 09-18-2005 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go to amsterdam, [censored] a hot prostitute for 50 euros (minus tip)

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I already said I'm going to Amsterdam for sure!!

DasLeben 09-18-2005 11:41 PM

One word: Nürburgring.

Chalk the Karrusell with "OOT pwnz you, Leute," and post pics.

dibbs 09-18-2005 11:44 PM

My friend told me they have cigarette and beer machines there.

Granted if I was there I hope I'd find something better than that.

Thythe 09-18-2005 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One word: Nürburgring.

Chalk the Karrusell with "OOT pwnz you, Leute," and post pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, i'll do it. explain further

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 12:30 AM

Yes they do, which led my friends and I to assume that the legal smoking age in Deutschland was tall enough to reach the machine.
As for what to do, honestly, Germany (other than Munich and other Bavarian cities {must see the Benz HQ} Germany isn't that fun), now the southern German speaking countries are great (I'm looking at you Switzerland).

Cody

siccjay 09-19-2005 12:35 AM

Bang Bitches.

touchfaith 09-19-2005 12:41 AM

Hitchhike.

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/ar...654608-000.jpg

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

IronDragon1 09-19-2005 12:56 AM

[other things that happen in Eurotrip]

morgan180 09-19-2005 01:04 AM

go to hamburg - its an amazing city with great night life, good castles and culture - the rathaus is very cool. the keyes is germany's version of the red light district, you can walk around, look at hot chicks drink beer on the streets and then hit up some cool night clubs/bars. then at 4 in the morning the wharfs start to go off and people go from the bars to the warhfs to eat breakfast, drink more and party in to the middle of the morning. or go to munich and sit your ass down at a brew haus and get wasted. either city, great times. you could make the fat trek to berlin, but i would only do it if you are going to be there during the love parad -- which you won't.

jesusarenque 09-19-2005 01:08 AM

Spend most of your time in Bavaria. It is easily the best part of Germany. I highly recommend Regensburg. Also, Munich>Berlin.

fluff 09-19-2005 01:21 AM

Rent a Benz. Drive on Autobahn. Doesn't matter where or which way.

Thythe 09-19-2005 01:34 AM

I should ammend that my friend and I are visiting her last year's roommate in Berlin, so Berlin is our home base. Basically, then, if we go to Amsterdam, we can probably only visit one other city besides Berlin. Which would be the best? What to do there?

morgan180 09-19-2005 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should ammend that my friend and I are visiting her last year's roommate in Berlin, so Berlin is our home base. Basically, then, if we go to Amsterdam, we can probably only visit one other city besides Berlin. Which would be the best? What to do there?

[/ QUOTE ]

from berlin go to munich. go to the brew houses - see the sights, its very fun.

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 01:42 AM

Love Parade, F-in A cotton, F-in A.

Cody

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 01:43 AM

Bavaria is best depending on what you want. For cars and forests and art, sure, for gambling and metro Germany, the north is better (Krefeld, Berlin).

Cody

Thythe 09-19-2005 01:44 AM

I'm not much for art. I like forests, though. Nature/scenery is always good.

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 01:45 AM

Yeah it's Munchen FTW in that situation (hit up the HaufbreuHouse, goddamn that's misspelled)

Cody

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 01:46 AM

Head to South West Germany (the black forest), buy a cookoo clock (you can watch them get build) and eat the cake.

Cody

09-19-2005 01:52 AM

historical type stuff

if you are in Munich, go to Dachau. It was a concentration camp during WWII, and has been well preserved, and turned into a museum. i went there a few years ago, and it was fascinating. (it's a short train ride from munchen if i remember correctly.) it's definately a cool historical sight.

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 02:01 AM

Re: historical type stuff

Dachau was cool, but not what you'd probably expect if you're looking for Concentration Camp "feel". The museum is great, as is the movie they show, but honestly I was a little disappointed with the "feel" of the place (of course Dachau was a processing center, not a gassing center, so it was different than what I expected).

As an awful aside, I was once in Germany on a H.S. trip, and we went to Dachau, as we pulled up, the radio had that misfourtune to be playing "Another one bites the dust". Talk about awkward.

Cody

dynamite 09-19-2005 02:15 AM

Re: historical type stuff

Yeah, if it's your first time here are some things I would recommend checking out:
Munich -
Dachau, Brew houses (i.e. Hofbraeu, Lowenbraeu, Spaten), Neuschwanstein (about 2 hours from Munich), Alte und Neue Pinakothek.
Rhein-
Take a boat ride along the rhein and see the sweet castles. There is a great one that has tours that is called Schloss Marksburg. Duesselsorf and Koeln also have some cool attractions.
I've never been to Berlin or Hamburg but you could spend your whole week in just those two. There is a lot of beautiful country once you get out of the city, though.
Viel Spass!

tom441lbk 09-19-2005 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bang Bitches with no rubbers .

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed

DasLeben 09-19-2005 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitchhike.

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/ar...654608-000.jpg

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nie...wieder...Berlin!

darkcore 09-19-2005 06:22 AM

definatly stick to the bigger citys: berlin, hamburg, munich or cologne.

the redlight district in hamburg (called reeperbahn) is pretty interesting (maybe not as much as the one in amsterdam, though) and there are a lot of clubs and bars and other places to visit.

in munich you should visit the hofbrauhaus and of course a game of fc bayern muenchen in case you have the chance. there are also enough sites, clubs and other stuff so you can spend some days without boredom. but skip the redlight district.

when you go to cologne (not so interesting besides the 'koelner dom' imo), head for duesseldorf. not because duesseldorf is such a beautiful city, but there are a lot of good bars in a part called "altstadt".

oh, and in december you'll stumble across something called weihnachtsmarkt (christmas market). they'll be in every big city. visit one and get drunk.

forget the rest of the country and post some pics.

HesseJam 09-19-2005 06:54 AM

There is way too much to see in Germany for one week and since you'll have Berlin-Amsterdam as your main travelling route I suggest that you stay in the north to avoid lots of travelling. Also, you said you have a train ticket, so you are somewhat bound to the big cities. You can go to a lot a places by train but moving through the country side by train cannot be done time-effectively. Besides that, the wheather in December is mostly dreadful in Germany, so might be outdoor activities.

So, definately go to Hamburg and Bremen. They are pretty nice cities with a lot of sight-seeing to do and they are very liberal nightlife-wise. There are no pub/bar closing hours and you can get anything you want around the clock. For football, I suggest the Ruhrgebiet which is the coalmine/ industrial area and consists of around 15 cities. (This sounds horrible but as a matter of fact, most of the industrial stuff went down with the demise of the coal industry and the cities are quite clean now. Lots of mining museums there, if you are into that stuff. Also lot's of the easiest bangable girls). Go to a Schalke (Gelsenkirchen) or Dortmund match. You'll be lucky if you can get a ticket though.

If you like castles you could make a detour and do a riverboat ride down the Rhine which has the highest castle density in Germany.

Other than that, you could just do something that is off the beaten track that Americans like (Hofbräuhaus, Heidelberg, Rothenburg, Black Forrest, Neu-Schwanstein castle, Rhine): Rent a car. Start somewhere around Göttingen. Go south on the back roads (basically not the Autobahn) roughly direction Munich (maybe stay away from Eastern Germany). Stop anywhere where you feel inclined and do sight-seeing. You'll pass by at least 30 castles no matter where you go. You'll see more cities/ towns that look like the end of the middle ages than you can handle. Almost all of them have some sort of a museum. You'll also see a lot of very nice nature sceneries (though December is very triste). This would be doable in three days with a lot of time to see things. You'll end up in Munich, get your Hofbräuhaus fix, drop the car and go back to Berlin by train.

wacki 09-19-2005 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

ANTON!

ANTON!

ANTON!!

GEMME BIER TRINKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-19-2005 07:48 AM

Get drunk at various bars and start arguments about how great America's imperialistic tendencies are and how lame Germany is for not being more supportive. Post pics.

jakethebake 09-19-2005 08:35 AM

Do they have Taco Bell in Germany? If so, hit the Bell.

diebitter 09-19-2005 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bang Bitches

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang Fraulienes

FYP

milliondollaz 09-19-2005 08:56 AM

lots of good posts, here's what i would add as a 23 year old...

-go to the augustiner beer garden in munich. best beer in the world, beautiful cherry tree garden right next to huge office buildings, and if you go into the beer cellar at night (underground brick bunker - really cool) you can get a similar lound and friendly experience that you would get at hofbrauhous

-check out heidelberg. its in bavaria, so everyone is jovial, and it's one of the most beautiful cities i have ever seen. there is a castle that overlooks a river, and it's really well lit up at night. it's THE classic german small city. plus, there's a college there, so the bars downtown are packed and very fun. i'm extremely surprised nobody has talked about heidelberg yet. i've heard rumors that helen, GA was modeled after heidelberg.

-the deutsches museum in munich is my number 1 of all time. it's a science and technology museum, and i'm a mechanical engineer, so keep that in mind. but they've got some crazy stuff there, like the table where niels (sp?) and bohr first split the atom, the first car in the world, U-boat 1, that has been cut in half so you can see inside. lots of cool stuff.

- +1 on the football match

Worrots 09-19-2005 04:01 PM

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg....3714713492.jpg

Edit: well, that didn't work. Reedit: fixed?

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 04:11 PM

Bang Fraus mit keine gummis.

Cody

pokerdirty 09-19-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[other things that happen in Eurotrip]

[/ QUOTE ]

make out with your sister

Richard Tanner 09-19-2005 04:13 PM

Is Heidelberg the town with the crumbling castle on the hill, or is it the more modern town, I can't remember. In either case, it is a great time.

Cody

Thythe 09-19-2005 08:47 PM

All good advice so far, but like this poster said, I only have one week. I'll land on Sunday at noon, probably will leave on the train for Amsterdam Monday and come back Wednesday. This really leaves only time for one more city at most, excluding Berlin. What are the main things not to miss in Germany (sites wise, I can find drinking at night, thats for sure)? I don't really want to rent a car, or spend too much other time on the train.

Hamish McBagpipe 09-19-2005 08:59 PM

Find out where all the "urine" and "feces" videos are, ask all locals to pay back the Marshall Plan, and thank them for not dragging us into the abyss of world war for the third time in 100 years.