Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   board games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387149)

gorie 11-28-2005 08:49 PM

board games

what are your favorite board games to play with family or friends (if people still do this).?

any newer games that you think are good ?

SCfuji 11-28-2005 08:50 PM

Re: board games

life - entertaining, easy to play, and takes just the right amount of time for a boardgame

Hotrod0823 11-28-2005 08:51 PM

Cranium and for some reason my wife enjoys Balderdash.

Get a few in you and you get some pretty funny definitions.

TheBlueMonster 11-28-2005 08:52 PM

Backgammon, cribbage, chess.

istewart 11-28-2005 08:53 PM

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/9...ladders4ga.gif

Schneids 11-28-2005 08:54 PM

If I had a favorite board game it'd be Settlers of Katan.

slickpoppa 11-28-2005 08:54 PM

Risk
Monopoly
Stratego
Settlers of Catan
Clue
Anything game that will lead to heated arguments between family members

Nicholasp27 11-28-2005 08:56 PM

risk
monopoly
balderdash
pictionary
chess
stratego
scattergories

JonPKibble 11-28-2005 08:58 PM

boggle

SCfuji 11-28-2005 09:02 PM

had a few buddies that played that a lot. but to expand the board game arena to card games 'lunch money' is really fun but i dont think they print it anymore.

nothumb 11-28-2005 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
boggle

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

vexvelour 11-28-2005 09:03 PM

scrabble. best game ever.

Ulysses 11-28-2005 09:21 PM

we play scrabble in my family! holla.

WackityWhiz 11-28-2005 09:29 PM

Tribond is a good one

4_2_it 11-28-2005 09:35 PM

My 8-year-old daugther pwns at Risk. I plan on teaching her how to shoot craps soon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

11-28-2005 09:38 PM

Settlers with Catan with the Cities and Knights expansion
Carcassonne
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Apples to Apples
Quiddler

icepick 11-28-2005 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carcassonne
San Juan
Puerto Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

A man after my own heart.

tonypaladino 11-28-2005 09:51 PM

Haha, I love how the biggest ladder goes to the kid doing something more dangerous than any of the "chute" kids.

JonPKibble 11-28-2005 09:53 PM

How about a Crimson Challenge board game?

JMP300z 11-28-2005 09:57 PM

Second lunch money, settlers, apples to apples and puerto rico.

Will add al hambra and guillotine.

-JP

gorie 11-28-2005 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carcassonne
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Apples to Apples
Quiddler

[/ QUOTE ]

these are the kind of games my bf buys all the time!. he is nuts and has a buttload of them. i haven't played most of the games he buys, but i like carcassone and san juan and lost cities.

today i was trying to think of something to play at christmas with my family (something fun but not too dumb). things like risk take too long but we all like that one. my mom has always liked trivial pursuit so maybe i'll buy an updated version of that so i might actually know some of the answers.

my bf was telling me i should get apples to apples because he's heard it's suppose to be a good game , but i looked at the back of the box in the store and it looked stupid ? you just lay down a card like "shocking" and everyone plays a card like "my first kiss" or "lightning" or whatever and vote on what is the funniest ? is that really fun , am i missing something ?

never heard of quiddler, i'll have to look that one up.

astroglide 11-28-2005 10:20 PM

apples to apples does work great in mixed/family situations and it can scale to an infinite amount of players. just forget about playing it with a timer, that's lame. the fun usually comes from intentionally wrong answers, or the negative reactions to those who do it.

since your bf is a "gamer's gamer", for more family-oriented stuff have him try these:

ticket to ride (2-5 players)
ingenious (2-4, team play optional)
manila (3-5)
geschenkt (3-5)
ricochet robots (1-infinity)
king me! (3-5)
i'm the boss (3-5)
liar's dice (2-6)

read about them at boardgamegeek.com and buy them at thoughthammer.com

i've rated about 175 games, you can see them at http://tinyurl.com/a5k83

11-28-2005 10:20 PM

Apples to Apples is one of the greatest family games ever. I used to work in a game store and was demoing it to this lady. I put down 'kinky', the match she put down was 'chains'.

Apples to Apples is the envy of the gaming industry now. It has already surpassed 1,000,000 units sold. That doesn't happen with [censored] games except Monopoly.

Quiddler is a card based word game. Very fun and a MENSA Select game.

discounted games online: http://thoughthammer.com/

great resource for reviewing games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/index.htm

slickpoppa 11-28-2005 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, I love how the biggest ladder goes to the kid doing something more dangerous than any of the "chute" kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting observation, although skating on thin ice is arguably much more dangerous.

Reef 11-28-2005 10:24 PM

chess is numero uno

checkers and monopoly are also cool

Aloysius 11-28-2005 10:27 PM

Scrabble is awesome.

I also really like Go - Go (Baduk in the Korean)

tonypaladino 11-28-2005 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Haha, I love how the biggest ladder goes to the kid doing something more dangerous than most of the "chute" kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting observation, although skating on thin ice is arguably much more dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice that one. I stand corrected. FMP

gorie 11-28-2005 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
apples to apples does work great in mixed/family situations and it can scale to an infinite amount of players. just forget about playing it with a timer, that's lame. the fun usually comes from intentionally wrong answers, or the negative reactions to those who do it.

since your bf is a "gamer's gamer", for more family-oriented stuff have him try these:

ticket to ride (2-5 players)
ingenious (2-4, team play optional)
manila (3-5)
geschenkt (3-5)
ricochet robots (1-infinity)
king me! (3-5)
i'm the boss (3-5)
liar's dice (2-6)

read about them at boardgamegeek.com and buy them at thoughthammer.com

i've rated about 175 games, you can see them at http://tinyurl.com/a5k83

[/ QUOTE ]
we apparently own ticket to ride and ingenius , i'll have to look at them to see if it'd be something my family would like. thanks for the other suggestions too!

gorie 11-28-2005 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apples to Apples is one of the greatest family games ever. I used to work in a game store and was demoing it to this lady. I put down 'kinky', the match she put down was 'chains'.

[/ QUOTE ]

but won't the 'SIIHP' card always win even though it's obviously suppose to be the 'funny' one even though it probably isn't really that funny ?

i guess i'll have to try it just to see what the fuss is about. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

11-28-2005 10:46 PM

My family loves Cranium. It's like charades, trivial pursuit and pictionary all rolled into one. You have to have enough people for teams. Really fun.

gorie 11-28-2005 11:25 PM

has anyone played scrutineyes ? that thread recently on '75 bands in this photo' or whatever reminded me of that game. i haven't played it in a long time but i remember it being pretty cool.

11-28-2005 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but won't the 'SIIHP' card always win even though it's obviously suppose to be the 'funny' one even though it probably isn't really that funny ?

i guess i'll have to try it just to see what the fuss is about.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's all about picking an answer that will appeal to the judge. So you aren't necessarily trying to pick the SIIHP or the funniest answer, but whatever is going to tickle the judge's fancy. One of my old roommates used to like answers that were just way off base but most people do like the funniest answer.

I promise, if you play it with your family, after the first game is over, several people will be clamoring to play again.

And the guy that invented it is a really down to earth guy so it's going to a good cause. His other games suck though.

OtisTheMarsupial 11-28-2005 11:51 PM

Taboo, Balderdash, Boggle, Uno, Spades

PokerGoblin 11-29-2005 01:13 AM

Checkers but my g/f won't play me cause I am too good.

Monopoly but it takes too long and my g/f always beats me.

Trivial Persuit but my g/f won't play me cause I am too good.

Rummikub but my g/f won't play me cause I am too good.

So basically the only game I can get my g/f to play with me is Monopoly, cause she beats me every time (she cheats by whoring the free parking money all the time, I only land on that [censored] when it's empty).

PG

PokerGoblin 11-29-2005 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My family loves Cranium.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played Cranium once while enebriated and in a social setting with a group of friends and acquaintances. It would have been nice to know I was going to have to hum before I volunteered for the performing arts task.

I made quite an ass of myself trying to hum 'Margaritaville', and for some reason all my sculptures out of molding clay always seem to resemble large, skinny purple erect penises. That doesn't mean I am gay does it?

I hated that game. My team did win though, no thanks to me of course.

PG

11-29-2005 12:45 PM

Chess - competitive against good chessplaying friends, but I'll play anyone.

Parcheesi, Yahtzee, Monopoly (NO money in the middle), checkers, Clue, Pictionary, used to play Rummikub with my mom....and Cranium is great for small parties.

ScottieK

11-29-2005 12:49 PM

Axis and Allies. Spent much of my youth building up my infrantry at Kareila. It still is my favorite game of all time, including poker/video games/sports.

Nicholasp27 11-29-2005 12:51 PM

i love rummikub

and parcheesi is the bomb

for card games, it's all about spades

cranium is good fun as well

durron597 11-29-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

today i was trying to think of something to play at christmas with my family (something fun but not too dumb). things like risk take too long but we all like that one. my mom has always liked trivial pursuit so maybe i'll buy an updated version of that so i might actually know some of the answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original Settlers of Catan is a good choice for sort of a laid back game, my brother, his wife and I can finish a game in 15 minutes now. Usually doesn't take more than 45 minutes, or an hour if you have people that always take forever to play.

I wouldn't want to play Carcassone (the math can get annoying) or (especially) Puerto Rico with very casual gamers.

Streetcar is a great game, everyone always likes it no matter what sort of person they are.

Other good choices are Acquire and Formula De.

[ QUOTE ]

my bf was telling me i should get apples to apples because he's heard it's suppose to be a good game , but i looked at the back of the box in the store and it looked stupid ? you just lay down a card like "shocking" and everyone plays a card like "my first kiss" or "lightning" or whatever and vote on what is the funniest ? is that really fun , am i missing something ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like it, but I would say it's more "funny" than "fun". I know a lot of people that don't like it. Don't play it totally sober, buzzed is the ideal state.

11-29-2005 01:02 PM

Nobody mentioned Junta. If you never want to speak to your friends again, play this one with them for real money.