Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Big 10 Pick of the Week - Purdue +16 at Penn State (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364620)

TomCollins 10-24-2005 07:11 PM

Big 10 Pick of the Week - Purdue +16 at Penn State

Purdue has lost a lot of games this year, but they have some talent. They have been close in many of their losses.

Penn State will win this game, but it should be by less than 16 enough of the time.

DougOzzzz 10-24-2005 07:12 PM

Re: Big 10 Pick of the Week - Purdue +16 at Penn State

[ QUOTE ]
Purdue has lost a lot of games this year, but they have some talent. They have been close in many of their losses.

Penn State will win this game, but it should be by less than 16 enough of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough to take a team 0-7-0 ATS this year.

kyro 10-25-2005 01:38 PM

They kind of remind me of PSU the last 2 years. Keep every game close, but find some way to lose each one.

I'll stay away (partially because I hate betting against my teams) but Purdue can't be that bad of a pick.

Personally, I think the Wisconsin/Illinois game is the Big 10 Game of the Week and has already been discussed in another thread.

noggindoc 10-25-2005 01:43 PM

TomCollins, let's not forget your advice on the "ridiculous value" of taking OSU at Penn State. You still smarting from that game? I'd stay away from this one.

CCx 10-25-2005 02:13 PM

I think Penn State will treat their homecoming crowd to a whoopin', but I'm staying away.

kyro 10-25-2005 03:08 PM

another pick....

Michigan State is currently -18 at home against Indiana.

Indiana is still a year or two behind, but they have shown vast improvements. Meanwhile, it appears MSU is settling into a nice late season suckfest.

I'm putting a small bet (I don't bet enough to play units, but we'll say 1/2 unit) on Indiana to cover the 18 points. MSU by 10.

TomCollins 10-25-2005 04:15 PM

You are using results oriented thinking.

TomCollins 10-25-2005 04:16 PM

Re: another pick....

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan State is currently -18 at home against Indiana.

Indiana is still a year or two behind, but they have shown vast improvements. Meanwhile, it appears MSU is settling into a nice late season suckfest.

I'm putting a small bet (I don't bet enough to play units, but we'll say 1/2 unit) on Indiana to cover the 18 points. MSU by 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indiana is improved, but they are still Indiana. MSU can light up bad teams, not sure I see much value here on either side.

kyro 10-25-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indiana is improved, but they are still Indiana.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means. You can't improve and still be as bad as you once were. Indiana's really only been blown out once (at OSU) and MSU has been horrid as of late.

NajdorfDefense 10-25-2005 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like PSU in moderate size, already booked at -15. I think Purdue gets beat up for PSU's homecoming.

Nice helmet.

Naj

10-25-2005 09:52 PM

Down to +14.5, looks like some money going in on them.

10-25-2005 09:54 PM

Is Wisconsin -20 not the pick of week? Illinois lost by 23 to Indiana and Penn State was up 56-3 by half at Illinois. Wisconsin is a little beat up on defense but their offense should be able to score plenty on IL's pathetic D.

MyTurn2Raise 10-26-2005 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Wisconsin -20 not the pick of week? Illinois lost by 23 to Indiana and Penn State was up 56-3 by half at Illinois. Wisconsin is a little beat up on defense but their offense should be able to score plenty on IL's pathetic D.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's up there

noggindoc 10-26-2005 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw come on Tom don't use some trite poker phrase, I was just getting in a good natured jab about OSU and Penn State.

TomCollins 10-26-2005 01:46 PM

Indiana has improved from beyond terrible to pretty bad. If OSU can put up 41 on someone, that shows their defense is quite bad. Michigan State is so streaky, its hard to tell what they will do. They could score 50 or score 20, I don't think there is any good prediction here in what they will do. Anyone know the O/U on this game?

kyro 10-26-2005 02:12 PM

They put up 35 on MSU and 31 on Iowa. It's not 41, but it's close.

noggindoc 10-29-2005 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love it TomCollins. Keep betting against Penn State. Pick of the week!

TomCollins 10-29-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was a good pick until the meaningless touchdown hit. Results oriented thinking.

noggindoc 10-29-2005 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You still crack me up using the Sklansky lines with the sports betting. Good stuff man. Make sure to take Wisconsin next week Tom!

TomCollins 10-30-2005 12:37 PM

If you give Wisconsin 16 points, I'll take them. Also keep in mind I said to take PSU with the points at Michigan.

kyro 10-30-2005 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Purdue was lucky to be in the game. It could have so very easily been 21-0 at halftime. I'm not saying it was a "bad" pick or that noggindoc isn't an incredibly annoying homer, but I'm just pointing out that the game could have been a blowout had the ball bounced a different way early.

MyTurn2Raise 10-30-2005 05:34 PM

I think you have your homer view on...Purdue had the breaks/bounces go against them in the first half. That was also a nice field goal the Lions got to end the first half when there should have been no time left. Very long final second. Very long. Some would say the scorekeeper stopped the clock a full two seconds before the officials blew the whistle on the field or the play on the field had ended.

10-30-2005 08:46 PM

"I told you so"'s are stupid and pointless in sports betting. It would be easy to evaluate the game different ways to say both sides were a solid value. Be happy you won or unhappy you lost, but don't pat yourself on the back, and claim you knew it all along because you were right.

TomCollins 10-30-2005 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also forgot I took PSU - 16.5 vs Illinois too.

kyro 10-30-2005 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have your homer view on...Purdue had the breaks/bounces go against them in the first half. That was also a nice field goal the Lions got to end the first half when there should have been no time left. Very long final second. Very long. Some would say the scorekeeper stopped the clock a full two seconds before the officials blew the whistle on the field or the play on the field had ended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is how the game went.

Penn State drive down the field. Stall at goal line. 3 points. Purdue can't move the ball, kick to returner who makes a bonehead play and fumbles it. Purdue plays short field and scores as a result. Penn State drives the length of the field, stalls at the goalline. Purdue, does absolutely nothing, gives it back.

I realize we can argue about what ifs and the like, but Penn State was moving the ball well, and Purdue wasn't. It's that simple. Many things had to go right for Purdue only to be down by 7.

The end of the half field goal may have been a gift. I will freely admit it will be tough to be unbiased considering how many times Big Ten refs have screwed over the Nittany Lions in the past 3-4 years. But it looked to me as the ball went out of bounds as the time hit one second. If it was two seconds as you say, Purdue should have said something about it, and they didn't.

MyTurn2Raise 10-31-2005 05:45 AM

Well...we definitely agree that big ten officiating sucks and I do think Penn St has been on the short end more than most. It's Chinatown. (I think this is one of many reasons why Penn St's move to the big10 was illadvised.)

Of course, I'm a biased Illinois alum who hopes that Illinois will stay within 30 of the Nittany Lions next year. At least, stay within 30 by halftime.

kyro 10-31-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you give Wisconsin 16 points, I'll take them. Also keep in mind I said to take PSU with the points at Michigan.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about 10.5? Yikes, I realize we're at home and have played wonderful there, but 10 points seems to be a lot. Somebody want to talk me out of putting down some money on Wisconsin? (The money I put down is, in all relativity, meaningless. I will root hard for PSU regardless, but I don't like passing up what seems like easy money.)

10-31-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about 10.5? Yikes, I realize we're at home and have played wonderful there, but 10 points seems to be a lot. Somebody want to talk me out of putting down some money on Wisconsin? (The money I put down is, in all relativity, meaningless. I will root hard for PSU regardless, but I don't like passing up what seems like easy money.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There cant be much, if any, value betting against PSU at home.

kyro 10-31-2005 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. I even said this weekend after they looked terrible against Purdue and still covered...

"I can't believe I would ever think about taking a team against PSU the rest of the year. I think I'll pick them to cover every game from now on."

doh!

MyTurn2Raise 10-31-2005 07:52 PM

I think the question is will Wisconsin be able to put up points on Penn St. Clearly, Wisconsin's D will give some, 24-35, to the Nittany Lions. Can Wisconsin's very good, dual-threat offense find some chinks in that amazing Penn St D.

Oh hell, I'm going Wisky on the moneyline, but I don't like it much. Alvarez just has this tendency to get the Big10's BCS birth when he's close. (Except for last year.)

noggindoc 11-06-2005 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]