Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Online all-in etiquette question... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388336)

ElSapo 11-30-2005 12:40 PM

Online all-in etiquette question...

I just "played" a tournament where I joined a table for a HU SNG with someone already there. On the first hand, he is set "all in" for some reason.

On subsequent hands, blinds are posted. If I raise, he folds. He auto-folds the SB.

Is there proper etiquette here? Is it somehow wrong to raise the BB each hand and simply take it down?

soko 11-30-2005 12:57 PM

Re: Online all-in etiquette question...

It's not illegal for you to do so, you agree to the risks involved in online play when you sign up and when you're seated. If you wanted to be a nice guy you could stall and fold your SB as well for a few mintues until he gets back but nobody is forcing you to do so.

BigBiceps 11-30-2005 12:57 PM

I would give him 3 minutes to return.

Then if he doesn't then take his buyin.

11-30-2005 01:13 PM

I have been booted a few times and nobody ever waited for me so I say screw em.(ok so maybe I am a little bitter)

augie00 11-30-2005 01:29 PM

Lol. Don't wait for him. Take his blinds as fast as you can. Are you kidding?

SCfuji 11-30-2005 01:34 PM

as you can see from the responses here that nobody will give you time so why give them time?

zaphod 11-30-2005 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not illegal for you to do so, you agree to the risks involved in online play when you sign up and when you're seated. If you wanted to be a nice guy you could stall and fold your SB as well for a few mintues until he gets back but nobody is forcing you to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If he is offline for a long time, he is actually using your time(if you are waiting and not taking his blinds). Time is money, he is wasting your time, so you should take his money. Don't feel bad about it, he would have done the same thing.

junkmail3 11-30-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol. Don't wait for him. Take his blinds as fast as you can. Are you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]

WalkAmongUs 11-30-2005 03:32 PM

do you refund someone their buyin when you knock them out a tournament too?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

tripp0807 11-30-2005 03:39 PM

OP:

I've been in both situations. When I was the DC'd player, I called Bodog and got my money back because it was a problem with their software.

In the other situation (HU SNG), I stalled as long as I could. The guy came back in something like 4 minutes. I raised the amount of money I had won while he was offline and told him to raise so that I could fold and we'd be even. If it had gone on much longer (say up to around 7 or 8 minutes), I'd contact support and ask them to kill the match and return money to me and the other player. I'd expect the same courtesy in return, though I likely wouldn't get it. However, I'm not going to angle shoot just because someone else does.

11-30-2005 03:46 PM

If it's not a HU match, there is nothing wrong with taking the blinds every time.

11-30-2005 06:49 PM

Even if it is HU there is nothing wrong with taking the blinds. Are you guys serious who said they would wait??

CCx 11-30-2005 07:03 PM

I raise every time as fast as humanly possible until he comes back to the table.

Sure, you could do the "right" thing - but connection problems on someone else's end shouldn't force you (per the moral policy) to begin hating money.

11-30-2005 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP:

I've been in both situations. When I was the DC'd player, I called Bodog and got my money back because it was a problem with their software.

In the other situation (HU SNG), I stalled as long as I could. The guy came back in something like 4 minutes. I raised the amount of money I had won while he was offline and told him to raise so that I could fold and we'd be even. If it had gone on much longer (say up to around 7 or 8 minutes), I'd contact support and ask them to kill the match and return money to me and the other player. I'd expect the same courtesy in return, though I likely wouldn't get it. However, I'm not going to angle shoot just because someone else does.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow... a true gentleman... It's nice to have these around still...

May the cards smile upon you my man... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Beavis68 11-30-2005 08:27 PM

No offense, but you are a fool and could have been banned for collusion.

Benholio 11-30-2005 08:31 PM

Against an unknown player I will most likely go ahead and take the blinds, unless I was playing at a buy-in that isn't significant to me. I did have this happen once when heads-up at a 6-7 man tourney against an opponent that I had been playing with and chatting with all day, and I ran out my clock each hand until he returned (we were both doing empire MTT runs for VIP points). I have to have a reason of some sort to do this though, normally I would just take the blinds.

11-30-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm what??? It's heads up!!!!!

And if it's like a 4-player heads up, and you split the pot, that's perfectly legit... After all, both ppl beat separate players on different tables...

You have no idea what you're talking about man!!!!!

zaphod 11-30-2005 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

PartySNGer 11-30-2005 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just "played" a tournament where I joined a table for a HU SNG with someone already there. On the first hand, he is set "all in" for some reason.

On subsequent hands, blinds are posted. If I raise, he folds. He auto-folds the SB.

Is there proper etiquette here? Is it somehow wrong to raise the BB each hand and simply take it down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would implore the other players to stall until he got back and if they didn't I would start crying.

11-30-2005 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would implore the other players to stall until he got back and if they didn't I would start crying.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

StacysMom 11-30-2005 09:54 PM

I am not convince waiting is the "right" thing to do. IF you are trying ot make friends, maybe it is. If you are playing to make money, its part of the game, especially in this medium. However, its part of the game in B&M too. If you are away from the table, you post and fold. I would take his buy in and expect him to do the same.

tripp0807 12-01-2005 03:11 PM

Sorry for the bump, just wanted to respond.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys serious who said they would wait??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, you could do the "right" thing - but connection problems on someone else's end shouldn't force you (per the moral policy) to begin hating money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate money. I just don't think it's right to do it. Do unto others...

Also, I'm looking to make money playing poker, not by what I consider to be shooting angles.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but you are an idiot. Who am I colluding with? Who am I colluding against? Myself?

[ QUOTE ]
I am not convince waiting is the "right" thing to do. If you are trying ot make friends, maybe it is. If you are playing to make money, its part of the game, especially in this medium. However, its part of the game in B&M too. If you are away from the table, you post and fold. I would take his buy in and expect him to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just doing it because I do think it's right. And how does it apply on the net more than B&M? A person in a B&M made a conscious decision to get up and were well aware of the consequences (btw, I assume you're talking about a tourney, not a cash game). On the net, if someone's gone for > 5 minutes, they're almost certainly disconnected.

Karak567 12-01-2005 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh

Beavis68 12-01-2005 08:50 PM

tripp, you chip dumped.

people have had their accounts locked up for all sorts of strange things.

players have had their accounts closed for chip dumping at heads-up cash tables. So, you are an idiot.

12-01-2005 09:44 PM

Turneys are about stealing the blinds. This is a turney. Steal the [censored] blinds.

ZPinhead 12-02-2005 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...and then I would pull myself together and make it to the final table only to blow it on a bad semi-bluff.

Alobar 12-02-2005 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP:

[/ QUOTE ]

good deal. This is what I would do as well. I dont buy all that "well theyd do it to you, so you do it to them" its angle shooting plain and simple IMO. I however wouldnt wait on support, if it went on longer than 5 minutes id just run his stack down and then transfer him his buy in back. Tho I guess Id be eating the vig. So contacting support is the way to go. But if the site I was at is anything like party, im not wasting my time with support, so id prolly just transfer him back his buy-in less whatever I had to pay the house. Which I still think is fair.

mackthefork 12-02-2005 05:30 AM

I wait for a while, but you have no compulsion to do so.

Mack

tripp0807 12-02-2005 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tripp, you chip dumped.

people have had their accounts locked up for all sorts of strange things.

players have had their accounts closed for chip dumping at heads-up cash tables. So, you are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my biggest pet peeves is dealing with idiots. You, sir, are an idiot.

I am not chip dumping if I give a guy his chips back that I won while he was disconnected. Chip dumping is the act of one player giving his chips to another so that the second has an edge over others. My giving chips back is for fairness, not so that he has an edge over me.