Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   You love your Fish Soooo much, but....... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=136225)

tripdad 10-15-2004 02:02 AM

You love your Fish Soooo much, but.......

let's say you have a fish tank with lots of fish in it. you love these fish more than anything you can imagine. you feel bad that they do not understand you or your unconditional love for them. sometimes you try to pet them, or comfort them, and they all scatter. they are deathly afraid of you. you've got to find a way to express your love to your fish in a way they will understand, so they will not fear you any longer and instead welcome you into their lives and embrace your love.

how do you do this?

there is a logical answer which i will post later if nobody gets it right.

cheers!

BusterStacks 10-15-2004 02:06 AM

Re: You love your Fish Soooo much, but.......

give them more company. they will love the strength in number.

Earthy Tones 10-15-2004 02:11 AM

i think it's either become a fish, or grill the fish on the barbeque..

or maybe get one of those little fish castles that you put in the tank.

Gimpy 10-15-2004 02:45 AM

Dixie battered and deep fried.

kalooki45 10-15-2004 05:57 AM

The easiest way would be to become a fish yourself, I think. That way, you could 'speak fish' and relate to their state of being.
You'd never be able to get them to understand the totality of humanity, 'cause they have no point of reference, but they could 'get it' in fish terms.

If you can't become a fish, then I guess you have to build up their trust by treating them kindly, being around a lot, and giving them 'treats'. Eventually, they will trust you.

But would they understand your 'unconditional love' as a concept? Probably not, if they have no equivalent emotion themselves. If you wanted them to understand "love", you'd have to do some fancy engineering, and put it into their little fish hearts--lol

Michael Davis 10-15-2004 06:04 AM

Put them in a pot and do a really thorough cleaning of their tank out of love. Then return them and watch them all die from ammonia poisoning. Free them and flush them out to the ocean, just like in Finding Nemo.

-Michael

bigpooch 10-15-2004 07:00 AM

Either:

1) Become a fish.

2) Serve up a few scrumptious humans (or parts thereof) for
fishfood every day. For example, if you make a shortlist
of candidate 2+2ers, there would be at least the challenge
of finding them and catching them. Just make sure you are
careful to clean the tank regularly; don't serve leftovers!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Peter Harris 10-15-2004 07:44 AM

i haven't looked at other posts, but my money is on releasing them into their favoured habitat.

Regards,
Pete Harris

BugSplatt 10-15-2004 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't looked at other posts, but my money is on releasing them into their favoured habitat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, start by showing them the WSOP on ESPN, give them a computer, plug them into the net, and they will find their way "home," like spawning salmon.

Bug

tek 10-15-2004 11:04 AM

And I thought Sklansky was losing it...

tripdad 10-15-2004 05:34 PM

the correct answer, as many have guessed, is to become a fish.

a preacher once used this analogy in church to explain the logic behind God's decision to, in effect, become a man and show His unconditional love for us.

His hope being that we will accept that love, and welcome Him into our lives.

cheers!

garyc8 10-15-2004 05:37 PM

This is really kinda f***ed up.

Senor Choppy 10-15-2004 05:56 PM

Are you sure the correct answer was becoming a fish and not deep-frying them?

God has had far more experience killing human beings in horrible, grotesque ways than he has 'becoming' them.

Michael Davis 10-15-2004 06:01 PM

Blech.

TomCollins 10-15-2004 06:38 PM

HAAHHAHAHAHAHA

Where sir, can I buy a machine to turn me into a fish?

Al Schoonmaker 10-15-2004 10:09 PM

There is nothing logical about an answer that is impossible to implement.

You state that you should become a fish. In poker, you can do so, but it would be stupid. In the story you told, the fish were in a tank. You can't become one.

Al

Justin A 10-15-2004 11:43 PM

The fish obviously are scared of you, so you leave them alone and don't try to be friendly.

Justin A

Blarg 10-16-2004 12:33 AM

Yes, there was not a "logical" answer. This was just some religious claptrap. I'm sure you moved one step closer to Jesus posting it.

My answer would be, first of all, that fish will never understand anything, much less love. So, just smack the cat in front of the fishbowl. At least they'll have a laugh out of it.

tripdad 10-16-2004 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing logical about an answer that is impossible to implement.

[/ QUOTE ]

just assume for a moment that there is an all powerful, all knowing God. now it's not so impossible, right?

cheers!

tripdad 10-16-2004 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

God has had far more experience killing human beings in horrible, grotesque ways than he has 'becoming' them.

[/ QUOTE ]

i still do not understand the utter disdain toward God and religion being expressed by so many posters on this forumn. are you all really so miserable as to attack faithful people simply because you have no faith?

it's quite interesting to me personally that every time a post is made concerning God or religion, it instantly becomes the hottest thread going. yet a majority of the responses are negative toward God or any replying poster who expresses faith in God. it is quite obvious to me that all who express such disdain are hoping to find something to grab ahold of that they can believe in. so, they ridicule in hopes of spurring argument which they hope produces some sort of logic behind God and salvation. that is where everyone starts out before accepting the Truth. the yearning inside is the Holy Spirit guiding you.

you know what, though? the questions most ask are impossible to answer really. Christians do not have any answers to the big questions, just faith that the Bible, which we believe in our hearts to be the actual words of God, is the absolute truth. we certainly do not deserve to be ridiculed for that belief, no more than a gambler should be ridiculed or looked down upon by a self described Christian.

cheers!

Sephus 10-16-2004 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure the correct answer was becoming a fish and not deep-frying them?

[/ QUOTE ]

just like in raiders of the lost ark.

BugSplatt 10-16-2004 02:02 AM

The fish anology is lame, dude. Come on!

Bug

Peter Harris 10-16-2004 06:33 AM

not so impossible, but i still prefer the idea of releasing the fish into their native habitat. That saves all that messy transformation business and they're more likely to love me for my compassion than have me turn into a fish. After all, i may be a complete tosser as a fish, who's to say they'll like my fishy attitude?

By that rationality, letting them go free is much better for all concerned. I stay on dry land, scuba diving now and again to stay in touch with my fishy roots, they get to go where they like, exercising free will, and no-one has to be cooped up in a tank with someone they may not like.

Regards,
Pete Harris

tripdad 10-16-2004 01:48 PM

a lot of people do not really understand what many Christians believe....that Jesus IS God...God took the form of man to demonstrate His love and to save us from eternal absence from God(Hell). (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost...one in the same) it's not easy at all to explain, so the fish analogy is just an oversimplified way of doing that.

cheers!

BugSplatt 10-16-2004 02:32 PM

You know Tripdad, there are far more similarities between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam than there are differences. One main difference, however, is that the latter two - while holding Jesus in high regard (a prophet, I suppose) - don't consider Jesus to be the son of God.

The main similarity? You all think you have "The one RIGHT way."

If it is RIGHT for you, great! Leave it at that. I can think of entire races (North American Indians, for one) who were far better off before Christianity came along and pillaged what was theirs. When it became too much trouble bumping off the natives, they went after the next thing of convenience - the native's food supply. The buffalo was slaughtered to the brink of extinction.

You do not have a monopoly on "the one right way."

End of story,

Bug

tripdad 10-16-2004 03:26 PM

nowhere in any of my posts do i denigrate another's religious beliefs.

cheers!

EliteNinja 10-17-2004 09:37 PM

In order to show true love to your fish, you must prepare them raw with the finest soya sauce and wasabi. You must be one with your fish by eating them raw.

tek 10-17-2004 10:54 PM

Jesus Shmesus. Religion is the biggest scam. How does someone (assuming he really existed, which I don't believe) who "died for your sins" (boo hoo hoo) help you get through each day?

With all the "intelligence" humans have, I still marvelat animals ability to just do what they need to do and not worry about shjt they have no control over.

Some of you religious fanatics must be the biggest fish at your poker tables...

Yes, something created the universe. Ok, now get over it and do what you need to do each day instead of acting like fuking cavemen with hi-tech toys. You guys are one step removed from doing rain dances and sun worship rituals. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TomCollins 10-17-2004 11:49 PM

Methinks its the other way around, the raindancers are probably a step ahead.

Blarg 10-18-2004 04:43 AM

What annoys me is that proselytizing religions can't stop trying to drag everything down to their favorite topic. Like this thread - I didn't know I was going to be ambushed by a Jesus promo when I clicked it open. And that was no accident. I felt like I'd been conned -- and I was. Kinda creepy and slimy.

When this kind of thing happens to people their whole lives, it pretty easily explains why they get so sick to death of hearing about religion -- yeah, YOU know the one I'm talking about -- yet one more time.

Nobody likes being ambused "as a favor" to them.

kalooki45 10-18-2004 06:11 AM

I think you all have it backwards.
When you come on a poker forum, and see someone spouting off and spreading falsehood about something you know to be true--you want to correct the error.
The Christians on this site didn't start the attacks--merely defended the truth.
If you don't want to acknowledge any truth but your own--why read ANYTHING? Obviously, you know enough to "do what you need to do" already.

Blarg 10-18-2004 07:37 AM

I think you have it backwards. Nobody is attacking you. I've never even heard of you, and even if I had, I would have no interest in either knowing your spiritual beliefs or attacking you. I think you're paranoid. The world isn't out to get you, and neither am I.

The world is a big place. Most people don't want to hear one idea of "truth" being pounded into them over and over again, especially "for their own good," as it usually is. Deal with it. Get over it. And whatever other snappy get-back-to-reality and stop-being-so-selfish one liners apply.

I have a friend who is convinced that Christians are constantly thinking about Jews, and everyone else, too, who is not Jewish really still does take Jews as the center of the world, because their denying the truth of Judaism is really a form of rebellion and anger and prejudice, not to mention simple lack of enlightenment. Even non-believers or people who have never heard of Judaism are really an intimate part of some cosmic drama with Jews at the center and everyone else merely playing antagonists or supporting roles. I swear, anything that happens, he finds a way to work Jewishness into it. He reminds me of Woody Allen sometimes.

Sometimes I have to tell him, hey, believe it or not, everything in the world is not about YOU. It's not personal, and it's not invalidating your beliefs or your right to them. We just don't give a damn! You're not as important as you think, and you need to accept it and move on. You need to leave people with their own dignity, too, and respect their right to be themselves and not just bit players in your own personal story.

Unfortunately, he doesn't believe it. Not one word.

He's the only Jewish guy I've ever known who is that bad, by the way. I've lost count of the Christians I've known like that decades ago.

Imagine if someone were trying to work blackberries into every conversation, by hook or by crook. For your own good, of course. After a while, you'd be going, What the F*** is with the damn blackberries already!

You know you would.

kalooki45 10-18-2004 08:18 AM

LOL I like that post!
As a mild defense, a lot of the threads started here are in response to a post by Sklansky, who basically states that
1. God doesn't exist
2. All Christians are idiots
3. If you don't believe as I do (Sklansky) YOU'RE an idiot, too..heh

So starts the storm...and in my opinion, by far the most interesting threads on here have arisen from it--so "Well done, Sklansky!"

I don't take it personally, and hopefully I'm not paranoid..but I think that one reason we're all here is to consult/debate/discuss with others about the truth of various matters--ranging from poker hands to infinity! Truth matters to me; I think it does to you, too.
No one can know it ALL--so we all feel out our personal "bit of the elephant" and try to put the pieces and reports together..

PS no one who sincerely believes in God thinks that they are "the center of the universe"...they think HE is.. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Peter Harris 10-18-2004 08:35 AM

let's leave interpretations to ourselves. This is technically libellous, as David has not stated

"God doesn't exist"
"All Christians are idiots"
"If you don't believe as I do (Sklansky) YOU'RE an idiot, too.."

If you choose to interpret them that way, best leave it in your mind, as comments such as these could be subject to litigation.

I would choose to interpret Sklansky as asking for the logical foundation of why religious people choose to believe in a deity.

I would not say X states Y as that is treading dangerous legal waters.

Regards,
Pete Harris

spamuell 10-18-2004 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
similarities between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam... The main similarity? You all think you have "The one RIGHT way."

[/ QUOTE ]

With regards to Judaism at least, this isn't true. There are orthodox Jews who are willing to accept that there is one Absolute Truth which can be interpreted in more than one way by humans, and there can be several correct relative Truths, although this does not mean that everything claiming to be truth is correct. For example, see The Dignity of Difference by Chief Rabbi Dr Jonathan Sacks.

Anyway:

[ QUOTE ]
You do not have a monopoly on "the one right way."

[/ QUOTE ]

What gives you the authority to say this? Maybe there is one right way that there is a monopoly on. How can you say that there is not?

Anyway, isn't saying that there is no monopoly on the right way essentially claiming that it is right that there is no right way, which is claiming that there is at least a monopoly in relation to monopolies on the truth?

kalooki45 10-18-2004 01:23 PM

Peter,
you SOUND like a Brit,
but you THINK like an American! lol

tripdad 10-18-2004 05:54 PM

i didn't think my post was "preachy" in the least. i was just stating a fact.

even though it is my duty as a Christian to spread the word of God, this is certainly one area, among MANY, which i fall well short.

cheers!

Blarg 10-18-2004 06:17 PM

There was nothing whatever factual going on. This was not a question of logic with a logical answer.

You roped people in under the premise that there was a factual answer, then lowered the boom on them by ambushing them with your religion whether they had wanted you to jump on them with it or not. Your "correct" answer was not "correct" at all, but merely one that you felt served the supposedly "worthwhile" purpose of attempting to indoctrinate people by ambush, and nothing more.

Your endeavor was an illegitimate and sneaky one, and purely selfish. I doubt Jesus would have to resort to such lame, lowball tactics.

Yuck.

If you think your cute little set-up involved "facts" and wasn't preachy, you're pretty self-deluded.

Peter Harris 10-18-2004 06:43 PM

heh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have a black belt in litigation.

Stay cool!
Pete H.

tripdad 10-18-2004 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was nothing whatever factual going on. This was not a question of logic with a logical answer.

You roped people in under the premise that there was a factual answer, then lowered the boom on them by ambushing them with your religion whether they had wanted you to jump on them with it or not. Your "correct" answer was not "correct" at all, but merely one that you felt served the supposedly "worthwhile" purpose of attempting to indoctrinate people by ambush, and nothing more.

Your endeavor was an illegitimate and sneaky one, and purely selfish. I doubt Jesus would have to resort to such lame, lowball tactics.

Yuck.

If you think your cute little set-up involved "facts" and wasn't preachy, you're pretty self-deluded.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact i was referring to was that many Christians believe that God became man. i thought it was fairly obvious that you could not turn yourself into a fish. sorry if you are THAT confused and angry.

cheers!