Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   10 Table NL 2000 on Party to reduce variance (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374247)

11-08-2005 12:46 PM

10 Table NL 2000 on Party to reduce variance

Currently my game of choice is to 10 table the NL 2000 on Party. I have been doing quite well over the last 2 months but recently have taken a nasty hit over the last 3 days. Not a hit in the sense that I got crushed or anything, but I just dont like losing ever and it is disconcerting.

The main reason I 10 table (sometimes 13 table with FTP included) is because it reduces variance. Obviously playing this many games my style tends to be TAG but sometimes I can see that my opponents might view me Weak Tight because of my low V$PIP %. I think this image might give players a reason to try and raise me off hands more and bluff more often cause they think I will let go of my hand.

Normally I would welcome this action as I am entering the pot with premium hands but recently I have been getting nothing for cards and getting killed by getting pushed off hands cause I am just in there attempting to steal blinds or with AK and not hitting pairs.

Basically the point of this post is to get some feedback from some other high NL players who multitable. Just curious if you are playing as many tables as me if you are also playing a TAG style or is it possible to play LAG while playing this many tables? Do some of you think playing this many tables enacts the law of diminishing returns and therefore I should reduce the number of tables? What do you think is the optimal # of tables to play?

Perhaps I am just questioning myself after the Five 3 outers taht I lost my stack to in the past 3 days.

-Jumpman

thabadguy 11-08-2005 12:48 PM

Re: 10 Table NL 2000 on Party to reduce variance

Play 20 tables.

11-08-2005 12:49 PM

Thanks for the intelligent response.

jaydub 11-08-2005 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the intelligent response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask a stupid question and....

Yeti 11-08-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play 20 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!

11-08-2005 12:57 PM

Looks like I struck a nerve with the usual posters. Not sure why the repsonses. Only guess is that maybe it stems from jealousy, perhaps multitabling up to 13 tables is not a skill you have yet. Maybe one day you too can play at all my tables. I just dont recommend it.

ghostface 11-08-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like I struck a nerve with the usual posters. Not sure why the repsonses. Only guess is that maybe it stems from jealousy, perhaps multitabling up to 13 tables is not a skill you have yet. Maybe one day you too can play at all my tables. I just dont recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!!! Watch out KKF, Diablo, Strassa, etc.

Edit: or you could move up and focus on fewer tables, play better and make more.

Yeti 11-08-2005 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really, really love this messageboard.

Good luck BRO!!!!!!

edge 11-08-2005 12:59 PM

I play 4. I tried 8 for a bit, but I wasn't able to get proper reads and make moves; just straightforward boring poker. I play 6-max if it makes a difference (probably does).

yvesaint 11-08-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea ...when i think of all the things i want to be doing in the future .... 13-tabling 10/20 is #1 on the list

fsuplayer 11-08-2005 01:02 PM

is your SN jumpman on party?

11-08-2005 01:06 PM

The difference between me and you is that while I respect those players I do not revere them. In fact after reading KKF thread on his database my bb/100 hands is significantly higher. While these players are quality there are alot more players who simply choose not to post and create a reputation. This is not a thread about me gaining respect, nor is it a challenge. I dont really mind the responses. The only thing I care about it is money.

No that is not my SN and I would prefer not to say what it is.

punter11235 11-08-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I am just questioning myself after the Five 3 outers taht I lost my stack to in the past 3 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you new to poker or sth ? Five 3outers in 3days ? LOL.
Is it your worst streak ever ? If so you are the on the hottest run in the history of poker...

fsuplayer 11-08-2005 01:22 PM

look, the reason why people are laughing at your post and not giving serious replies is bc its pretty clear that you either dont understand poker and varience, or more likely, that you are lying/exaggerating.

a player good enough to win at a 10-20 level, let alone winning while playing 10 tables should know that 4-5 buyins dropped bc of bad beats is a normal weekly thing.

i asked your SN bc i have never seen anyone play that many tables in the last 3 weeks that party has changed.

maybe we just play at seperate times though.

Matt Flynn 11-08-2005 01:26 PM

To me, optimum strategy for four-tabling is adjusting to opponents and playing a slightly loose style. For 13 tables, it has to be supertight-aggressive. The solution to people taking stabs at you is to occasionally stab back with nothing. It does not have to be often.

I am curious how you can play that many hands. How do you fold that fast? Does your index finger hurt?

Matt

jaydub 11-08-2005 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, optimum strategy for four-tabling is adjusting to opponents and playing a slightly loose style. For 13 tables, it has to be supertight-aggressive. The solution to people taking stabs at you is to occasionally stab back with nothing. It does not have to be often.

I am curious how you can play that many hands. How do you fold that fast? Does your index finger hurt?

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

His father was an alien and thus he has the power to stop time by touching his index fingers together.

AZK 11-08-2005 01:31 PM

Do you also buy in for 400 while 10 tabling?

etizzle 11-08-2005 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have never seen anyone play that many tables in the last 3 weeks that party has changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

AZK 11-08-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a player good enough to win at a 10-20 level, let alone winning while playing 10 tables should know that 4-5 buyins dropped bc of bad beats is a normal daily thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

captZEEbo1 11-08-2005 01:43 PM

DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS. I'm just like you, the only time I ever really have losing days is when I 1-table high stakes poker (25/50+) and variance (re: bad play) rapes me. I rarely post a losing day, let alone losing week if I'm sticking to 8-9 tabling 5/10 or 10/20 nl. Just remember it doesn't really "reduce varaince" by playing 10 tables, it just reduces the chance you post losing days b/c you play that many more hands than most and play a more TAG style than most. Yeah whenever I post a losing day after I 8-9 tabled 1000 nl or 2000 nl I know I must've been on extreme donk tilt and it wasn't poker gods.

edit: pm me if you wanna chat on aim or something

11-08-2005 01:48 PM

I appreciate the response Matt. The reason I created this post was to get responses like that. Some prefer to play 4 tables and they believe this is optimal because they are still able to obsereve everything and make moves on certain opponents. I like to play 10 tables because of my style of play. Currently I am most comfortable playing super tight aggressve. I see this as a way to reduce variance as small as possible. Also, the way I view poker on PP is that the majority of times you are going to get paid off is when you are either playing a complete donk, or when you have many premium hands. The way to increase both of these variables to increase the number of tables/hands played. On any given night if I only play 4 tables I might not have many premium hands but if I would have sit at 4 different tables then I would have had a huge rush. Hopefully playing that many tables will even things out.

I just aquired the skill over time. Started with NL 100 and worked my way up. I have been playing for over 3 years now and a mechanical engineer going to law school so I believe I have some apptitude. Also, never lacking confidence or competitiveness.

flawless_victory 11-08-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you also buy in for 400 while 10 tabling?

[/ QUOTE ]
O man... that is funnt, but i also a solid speculation...
AHAAHAAHA.

GL jumpman!

11-08-2005 01:59 PM

The answer to this question is no. I buy in for $2000. I dont understand why so many of you find this so hard to believe. I truly think it is because many people that do this probably dont post on here often. I see many players/know players who regularly play 10 tables. Not all at NL 2000 though.

This thread has turned to sh*t and hope it gets deleted. Can I request that.

flawless_victory 11-08-2005 02:01 PM

hi jinberg!

Yeti 11-08-2005 02:02 PM

We find it hard to believe, because myself and others probably have 1 million hands combined in that game.

And we can't think of a single person who 10-tables.

AZK 11-08-2005 02:05 PM

I do see a few who say, 7 table. I mean there have been times where I've put up 7, but that is excessive. Caspis,stu,buddy,slothrop,pit,etc, are a few that I've personally seen on 6+....

flawless_victory 11-08-2005 02:07 PM

OMG caspis!
haha.
this is him.
haha.

11-08-2005 02:09 PM

When I say 10 table it would be more accurate to say 6-7 NL 2000, 1-2 NL 1000, and the rest comprised of NL600 and 400. Sorry if it was misleading. And yes, those are the players I see every night. Just curious if any knows or has any opinions on Robisphere. Seems to play very LAG but does quite well from what i have observed. Much different style than me. Usually see him on 2 tables or so.

Yeti 11-08-2005 02:09 PM

heheheheh

Yeti 11-08-2005 02:10 PM

Robespierre sucks. He is definitely a loser in these games.

Thanks for clearing the table situation up. 6-7 seems a lot more reasonable.

Matt Flynn 11-08-2005 02:21 PM

Both of you guys and VanVeen cough up how you do this, especially the 13-tabler. How do you handle it when you have four simultaneous hands that require playing? How do you handle the repetitive motion trauma? I am really interested.

r3vbr 11-08-2005 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both of you guys and VanVeen cough up how you do this, especially the 13-tabler. How do you handle it when you have four simultaneous hands that require playing? How do you handle the repetitive motion trauma? I am really interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you play 20% of hands, you usually only have to pay attention to 1 every 5 tables. Dual monitor is essential if you're gonna play more than 8 tables.

Also, when multitabling massively, go to control panel, acessibility options, mouse, and configure a keyboard button to replace mouse clicking. that way, you can alternate between clicking with right hand index finger and left hand.

I used to multi-table 20+ tables at NL100 btw, nowadays only 6 table at NL1000.

11-08-2005 02:32 PM

Reason I am able to do this is primarily because of a proper computer/monitor setup. Secondly, I would describe my play as very mechanical and therefore it does not require me to intensely think about the hand. All based on numbers and information readily available to me. Obviously I make different plays when playing different opponents.

chuddo 11-08-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Robespierre sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

he once said in the chat: "i secretly love men. err little boys. tell no one"

James282 11-08-2005 03:53 PM

You are totally Phallusy.
-James

Matt Flynn 11-08-2005 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Since you play 20% of hands, you usually only have to pay attention to 1 every 5 tables. Dual monitor is essential if you're gonna play more than 8 tables.

Also, when multitabling massively, go to control panel, acessibility options, mouse, and configure a keyboard button to replace mouse clicking. that way, you can alternate between clicking with right hand index finger and left hand.

I used to multi-table 20+ tables at NL100 btw, nowadays only 6 table at NL1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding. Will do.

Can you post your monitor setup? I have twin Samusung 213T's and lay four tables across the top with PokerOffice boxes underneath each. I take it you instead use a PT heads-up display? Or do you use four monitors? If you use four monitors, what type of rack do you use?

btw anyone who has trouble with PO or PT software being a CPU hog you can go Control-Alt-Delete to get the process manager, click the processes tab, right click on the mysql... and java... processes and set their priority to "below normal". That prevents table freeze during high-load moments.

Matt Flynn 11-08-2005 03:57 PM

Can you outline your monitor setup? Do you use 2 or 4? Box or line? Horizontal or vertical orientations? Thanks.

1800GAMBLER 11-08-2005 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do it by unknownly playing basic and slowly all decisions merge to looking the same, fine details dissappear, constructive complete thoughts get replaced by 'i have trips i have to call'. Eventually your game becomes worse than it was 6 months ago but you also have the fun of looking forward to the time you get to tilt off stacks when you time out of you $1000 pot with top set.

Matt Flynn 11-08-2005 04:12 PM

Can this skill be acquired or is it strictly genetic? Also, was there an anal probe involved? For whatever reason alien visitations in the South tend to include them.

MaGi 11-08-2005 04:15 PM

playing TAG reduces variance a lot. I've made a lot more money playing more LAG (this is 6 max or the 2k tables when they're short-handed) but there is obviously a lot more variance too.