Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Virus Warning about pokergrapher - I'm pretty freaked out (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=273799)

4thstreetpete 06-15-2005 09:58 PM

Virus Warning about pokergrapher - I\'m pretty freaked out

Sorry if this has been posted before because I haven't seen it. I know a lot of people like to use pokergrapher (like myself) and having been using it for a while and love the program.

I just logged on to my computer and a virus warning popped up from AVG. It says it has detected a trojan on version 1.35, on the install exe file. I hadn't even opened up any windows or programs and only had my browser window open.
Without hesitation I deleted the file and when I opened my exlorer window again another virus warning popped up and again version 1.34 install exe file has a trojan.JH file on.

Has anyone ever got this? I'm pretty pissed because I really like this program but needless to say I'm pretty freaked out, doing a virus and spyware scan right now. I'm really hoping that it's AVG acting a little sensitive but it's unlikely as it says it has picked up a trojan. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

krazyace5 06-15-2005 10:01 PM

Re: Virus Warning about pokergrapher - I\'m pretty freaked out

I just had to download pokergrapher again today and it was clean.

Alot of different people are hosting this program so I guess it could depend on where you get it, maybe someone added the a trojan?

4thstreetpete 06-15-2005 10:07 PM

that's what I don't understand, I've had this program for a while now and it was working fine. I didn't do any upgrades or anything and today I got a virus warning just popped up from nowhere.

I got it from the pokertracker forum, on the pokergrapher thread. I think someone hosted 1.35 but that's where you can find it.

On a related note, for some reason my AVG could not update a few days ago for no apparent reason. These last few days it has been fine but something happened for it to trigger this warning. I just logged on my computer and this message popped up. I wasn't even doing a virus scan at the time.

Jeff W 06-15-2005 11:02 PM

AVG scored poorly in comparison tests(78% success). AntiVir performed best of all the freeware scanners at 86% detection rate.

Just an FYI. I am a former AVG user.

Make sure you have a good software firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 or a hardware firewall. This will lower your exposure to trojans.

4thstreetpete 06-15-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AVG scored poorly in comparison tests(78% success). AntiVir performed best of all the freeware scanners at 86% detection rate.

Just an FYI. I am a former AVG user.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty for the info. I had used nortons and mcafee prior to using AVG. I read some good reviews of AVG from maximumPC and from reviews of users from this forum. Pretty happy with the product and has caught a few viruses that nortons did not pick up. That was enough for me to dump nortons. I will check out Antivir thanks.

thegoose420 06-15-2005 11:39 PM

When I tried to opened pokertraker today, i got a message saying,"Sorry,this version expired Wednesday june 15th, please visit pokertraker.com for updates."
But when i went to the website there was only this message:
"Due to personal reasons I have had to stop work on this project. I have returned all offered donations and I thank everyone for their kind words and support while I was working on this."

Did this happen to anyone else? whats the deal? is there any other progams similar to poker grapher available?

razor 06-15-2005 11:50 PM

Download the latest (unrestricted) version from his site here...

Poker Grapher

thegoose420 06-16-2005 12:05 AM

thanks buddy

Nomad84 06-16-2005 12:53 AM

I had it installed already, but I figured I should get the installer while I still can, so I clicked your link. AVG told me it was infected. I'm curious whether or not it is possibly a false alarm due to similarities to a trojan included in recent AVG upgrades or something. Anyone have a known clean version that they could scan for comparison?

waffle 06-16-2005 01:00 AM

What virus did it say it was infected with?

Nigel 06-16-2005 01:06 AM

My 1.35 from the original link on this site scanned clean with Norton. I don't have other AV software.

Nigel

jasonHoldEm 06-16-2005 01:12 AM

I scanned it with TDS-3 (trojans) and NOD32 (anti-virus) and it passed both scans (I also scanned the files the installer created). Looks like a false alarm.

J

EDIT: I'm speaking of the file listed above from the pokergrapher website, if you downloaded from a mirror someone might have tampered with it.

juggernaut 06-16-2005 02:37 AM

I got the same virus warning. I tried to open pokergrapher today and found that it was expired, so I hopped on 2+2 and found a link with version 1.3.5, when I clicked to download it I immediately got the trojan horse virus warning. It asked if I wanted to delete it (weird since I didn't feel like I had downloaded it yet) and I said yes and closed Firefox. Then I ran a virus scan on my entire computer and it found the same trojan horse somewhere. I deleted it again. Freaked me out.

By the way, I also use AVG free edition. Maybe it's specific to that. Either way, I didn't bother looking for another version of pokergrapher after that.

4thstreetpete 06-16-2005 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What virus did it say it was infected with?

[/ QUOTE ]

it gave me a warning of the pokergrapher installerv1.35 exe file followed by trojan.JH. I had deleted it immediately so hopefully someone here can verify. Either way it's better to be safe than sorry, I'm done with this program and careful with other poker programs was well.

TheTROLL 06-16-2005 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I immediately got the trojan horse virus warning. It asked if I wanted to delete it found the same trojan horse somewhere. I deleted it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
It must have already been on your PC - if the download never completed and executed, it cannot have caused the infection. Sounds like the virus was already running and infected the file being created by the download process. If you recall the virus name, it's possible to check whether this is that particular virus's transmission vector at the various AV site (www.sarc.com etc).

Vern 06-16-2005 09:00 AM

I have been unable to find any reference to trojan.jh in any virus encyclopedia. I run NAV 2005 + Zone Alarm + hardware firewall and have never gotten a warning about it or anything like it.

Vern

TheTROLL 06-16-2005 11:35 AM

The .jh suffix is just a sequential code to distinguish it from all the previous variants (.aa,.ab,.ac etc) - the virus scanner would have displayed (or logged) a name of Trojan.<SOMENAME>.jh - it is the <SOMENAME> that identifies the underlying nasty.

Steven 06-16-2005 12:29 PM

I had the same thing today.

in my AVG Vault under virus name it says Trojan horse Proxy.JH.

It was found on both PokerGrapherInstallv134.ee and PokerGrapherInstallv135.exe

The last one i just downloaded today as the previous version was expired. After i read this thread i updated my AVG, scanned my pc and it found the 2 files.

Vern 06-16-2005 04:58 PM

I just went to AVG's website and searched for such a listed virus and it returned no results. If you get more information let me know. I am about 95% confident that it is a false alarm, but I like to be closer to 100% and w/o being able to even find that Trojan listed anywhere, even AVG's site, is a little frustrating.

Vern

waffle 06-16-2005 05:04 PM

I just installed AVG Free and did a full system scan. I found nothing. I have PokerGrapher 1.3.5 installed and I downloaded it from the official site. I can also run PokerGrapher with the resident on-access scan working and no warning occurs.

zerosum 06-16-2005 05:06 PM

Turn off AVG's heuristics testing and run it again. AVG's heuristics mode has been cited numerous times for producing *false positives* in software that has tested negative on numerous other virus/trojan detection software.

I examined PokerGrapherInstallv135.exe here, <http://virusscan.jotti.org/>. The result was negative for trojans, viruses, etc.

Here's the MD5 for my copy of PokerGrapherInstallv135.exe:

d6868beea9cdbf3803bc3d21994d04d1

If you use the online service in the link above, please check your file's MD5 against mine. The service will produce the MD5 for you. If your MD5 is different, then so is your program -- i.e., it's been altered.

MD5 info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

Steven 06-16-2005 09:27 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Als antwoord op:</font><hr />
If you use the online service in the link above, please check your file's MD5 against mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

After i restored the file from the vault i tried to do this, but got the message: " The file you uploaded is 0 bytes. It is very likely a firewall or a piece of malware is prohibiting you from uploading this file"

i tried to install the file but received an error! I think AVG did'nt restore the file well.

Now i try to download the 135 file again from the location mentioned in this thread, and receive an error: cant copy PokerGrapherInstallv135, acces denied.

This is getting above my head. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

zerosum 06-16-2005 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now i try to download the 135 file again from the location mentioned in this thread, and receive an error: cant copy PokerGrapherInstallv135, acces denied.

[/ QUOTE ]

The link worked for me just a few minutes ago. I did not save the file, but I could have without a problem.

4thstreetpete 06-16-2005 10:40 PM

In response to the installer being altered in any way, I highly doubt it. Only because I got a warning on both installer files 1.35 and 1.34.
1.35 was downloaded from someone who decided to host it on the pokertracker forums and 1.34 was on the official download page on page 1 of the pokertracker thread.

dandy_don 06-16-2005 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
figured I should get the installer while I still can, so I clicked your link. AVG told me it was infected. I'm curious whether or not it is possibly a false alarm due to similarities to a trojan included in recent AVG upgrades or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. AVG picked it up right away. AVG says it is a Trojan Horse Proxy.JH

Ghazban 06-16-2005 10:51 PM

I'm having the exact same problem (also using AVG) and getting the trojan warning when I try to download. I'm on my way out the door right now so I can't try anything else but just wanted to jump in and report that you aren't the only one.

zerosum 06-16-2005 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In response to the installer being altered in any way, I highly doubt it. Only because I got a warning on both installer files 1.35 and 1.34.
1.35 was downloaded from someone who decided to host it on the pokertracker forums and 1.34 was on the official download page on page 1 of the pokertracker thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time Out.

Here's a link to a 2+2 post that has a link to the official PokerGrapher site.

http://tinyurl.com/92llf

The link in the post references PokerGrapher v1.3.4.

If you want to get a copy of PokerGrpaher v1.3.5 from the source, the official PokerGrapher site, do the following:
1. copy the link location for v1.3.4 from the 2+2 post referenced above,
2. paste that link into your browser's address bar,
3. change the last number in the link (now in your address bar) from 4 to 5, so the final portion of the link looks like this: PokerGrapherInstallv134.exe
4. press *enter* to initiate the download.

Folllow these steps, and you'll have v1.3.5 from the source.

Then read this post by me in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/ayzqd

zerosum 06-16-2005 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. change the last number in the link (now in your address bar) from 4 to 5, so the final portion of the link looks like this: PokerGrapherInstallv134.exe

[/ QUOTE ]

The above instruction from my post should read as follows (correction in red):

3. change the last number in the link (now in your address bar) from 4 to 5, so the final portion of the link looks like this: PokerGrapherInstallv13<font color="red">5</font>.exe