Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Watch Waxie Move Up (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399252)

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 09:29 PM

Watch Waxie Move Up

Standard?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

Movin' On Up Hero ($28.80)
MP2 ($24.65)
MP3 ($23.80)
CO ($51.15)
Button ($12.30)
SB ($10.10)
BB ($30.05)
UTG ($26.90)
UTG+1 ($32.95)

Preflop: Movin' On Up Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Movin' On Up Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Movin' On Up Hero raises to $4.75</font>, MP3 calls $2.75.

Flop: ($9.85) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Movin' On Up Hero bets $10</font>, MP3 calls $10.

Turn: ($29.85) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Movin' On Up Hero bets $14.05 (All-In)</font>, MP3 calls $9.05 (All-In).

River: ($52.95) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $52.95

PoBoy321 12-15-2005 09:31 PM

Re: Watch Waxie Move Up

The pre-flop 3-bet SUCKS.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 09:34 PM

Why? I want to end the hand right there. have you ever played AK OOP? It sucks when the flop looks like that.

If he 4-bets, I'm gone.

PoBoy321 12-15-2005 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? I want to end the hand right there. have you ever played AK OOP? It sucks when the flop looks like that.

If he 4-bets, I'm gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because without a read, he has a pretty narrow handrange or QQ/KK/AA/AK, and with the possible exception of AK, none of those are folding to a 3-bet.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 09:38 PM

I think he'll re-raise with a hand range that is wider than that at 25NL and the call of the 3-bet elimates AA/KK, IMO.

DoomSlice 12-15-2005 09:39 PM

If you want to end the hand preflop you need to raise it more than $2.75 more.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 09:44 PM

Actually, I want to end it by folding if he re-raises and I want him to just call if he has a hand &lt; AA-KK. If an A or K falls on the flop, I am usually ahead. I think villian grossley misplayed his hand and wouldn't have had the opporunity if I hadn't offered a lot of chances for him to make mistakes.

12-15-2005 09:48 PM

Don't 3 bet AK unless guy is a LAG/maniac, and if you do make a real raise PF. Not getting away from that hand on the flop.

12-15-2005 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to end it by folding if he re-raises and I want him to just call if he has a hand &lt; AA-KK

[/ QUOTE ]
Some players will smooth call your 3bet. Why not end it when you miss on the flop, instead of folding before you get a cheap chance to outflop JJ-KK and any other random [censored] he has?

He called a PSB, he isn't scared of your ace. I think he either stacked you with his FH or you split with trip aces K kicker.

Also, by 3betting preflop, you are probably committing your stack if you hit with TPTK. Not necessarily a good thing.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You aren't just playing it OOP, you're building a pot OOP! Now you got your stack in without any helpful information at all.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 09:57 PM

Hero ($55.75)
UTG+1 ($29.40)
MP1 ($3.60)
MP2 ($43.05)
MP3 ($17.30)
CO ($25)
Button ($29.30)
SB ($26.55)
BB ($37.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($5.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, MP3 calls $5.

Turn: ($17.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.05</font>, MP3 calls $9.05 (All-In).

River: ($35.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $35.20

They are 2-betting at 25NL with A9.

einbert 12-15-2005 10:01 PM

How do you move up to $25 NL?

Were you playing play money tables before this or what?

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 10:04 PM

10NL at Stars. If you really want the total story of my poker journey, PM me and I'll tell you. It's pretty interesting/funny.

12-15-2005 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you move up to $25 NL?

Were you playing play money tables before this or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed.

Anyways, if your going to 3-bet this preflop, raise it much more than that. I prefer just calling the initial raise.

Isura 12-15-2005 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I want to end it by folding if he re-raises and I want him to just call if he has a hand &lt; AA-KK. If an A or K falls on the flop, I am usually ahead. I think villian grossley misplayed his hand and wouldn't have had the opporunity if I hadn't offered a lot of chances for him to make mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thought process in this hand is not very clear. So you want to bloat the pot preflop against TT-QQ, waste more money and fold to a push against KK-AA. All this when you will only hit top pair about 35% of the time on the flop...

Edit: and QQ-TT are not going to payoff that often on an Axx or Akx or Kxx flop anyways.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 10:12 PM

I disagree that TT-QQ won't pay off, even with the stack sizes in the OP.

I understand what you guys are saying, but I disagree. When I posted this hand, I was pretty sure I knew that you guys were going to attack the hell out of that 3-bet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Isura 12-15-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think he'll re-raise with a hand range that is wider than that at 25NL and the call of the 3-bet elimates AA/KK, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion is wrong.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 10:18 PM

See my other post in this thread for details.

djhoneybear 12-15-2005 10:33 PM

I'm not sure of the point of posting a hand when you already know the correct way to play it. Just because your villian raised with A9 doesn't mean that you did the right thing. Also be careful about hanging yourself with top pair. Your going to lose a lot of money with TPTK to two pair hands or sets. Its also good to remember that AK is an underdog against any pair.

Godfather80 12-15-2005 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero ($55.75)
UTG+1 ($29.40)
MP1 ($3.60)
MP2 ($43.05)
MP3 ($17.30)
CO ($25)
Button ($29.30)
SB ($26.55)
BB ($37.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($5.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, MP3 calls $5.

Turn: ($17.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($35.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Your raise UTG with AJo is silly. Fold that hand. Then you check raise the flop. Why, to fold out worse hands, but guarantee getting stacked by a set? Just lead out for 3/4 of the pot.

Isura 12-15-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See my other post in this thread for details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.. I hope you do very well in your poker career. You clearly don't need this forum though.

Morrek 12-15-2005 10:43 PM

This is 25nl, villain reraising pre and calling a re-re-raise means he has 77+ or any K or A, unless he's "bluffing" or "gambling" with 27o or whatever. However, if you want to be able to beat opponents on higher levels you will have to start giving your villains a little more credit than what is standard on 25nl. On higher levels they will for instance not pay you off(atleast mostly not) on A or K high flops with TT-QQ as they do all the time on 25nl.
I realize that you'll probably win alot of the time in these kinds of hands but it's just not good play

yvesaint 12-15-2005 10:48 PM

3-bet pf is ok depending on the opponent, but the amount sucks. it sounds to me that youre raising purely for information.

you also say you release to a 4-bet. if i held AA in villains hands, i would not 4-bet here at all. why would i want to possibly lose you? plus, id love to let you continue being the aggressor, especially w/me in position

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:17 AM

You don't think I will alternate my play when I move up?

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:19 AM

Would the typical players at 25NL do that? I don't think so.

I agree with you about the optiomal way to play AA in this situation, but I don't think most 25NL players are thinking that way when they have "weapons of mass destruction." They can't wait to put their chips in the middle.

FYI, I would never make that 3-bet against a player that I had a read on as being a tough, agressive player.

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:20 AM

You're silly!

Do you believe in monsters under the bed? If you're playing AJ UTG that weakly, then you are missing a lot of value in 25NL.

PoBoy321 12-16-2005 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're silly!

Do you believe in monsters under the bed? If you're playing AJ UTG that weakly, then you are missing a lot of value in 25NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's really not. And try not to criticize people who are trying to help your play too much.

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:22 AM

I always try to post hands that I think will create good discussion. I do think I played the hand correctly, but I'm open to arguments that I did not.

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:23 AM

Dude, that is not what I am saying at all. Everything I've learned about poker, I learned from this forum. I have made love for 2+2 and all posters.

I posted this hand because I thought it was interesting and that it would generate good discussion. I think it did, even if I don't agree 100% with what people are saying.

PoBoy321 12-16-2005 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always try to post hands that I think will create good discussion. I do think I played the hand correctly, but I'm open to arguments that I did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by your responses to some of the responses which crticize your play, you aren't.

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:46 AM

I'm not just willing to concede that I made the wrong decision, but I'll try to be a little nicer. I certianly don't want to give the impression that I am a know-it-all.

At the same time, when people say "This is always incorrect." or "This is always wrong." I think they are being a little silly.

PoBoy321 12-16-2005 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not just willing to concede that I made the wrong decision, but I'll try to be a little nicer. I certianly don't want to give the impression that I am a know-it-all.

At the same time, when people say "This is always incorrect." or "This is always wrong." I think they are being a little silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since you didn't include a read, we have to assume that there isn't one, and without a read, there is a standard, typical way to play it, which is what people are suggsesting. If you have a read that suggests otherwise, it's important that you give it.

Isura 12-16-2005 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're silly!

[/ QUOTE ]

What data do you have to back this up? Give me pokertracker positional statistics for yourself, comparing the EV of folding versus raising AJ in early position. Better yet, do it for 100 players with more than 10k hands in your database.

Please stop posting such incorrect and baseless advice like it is a fundamental truth. You are making a fool of yourself by doing this.

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:52 AM

Alright, fair enough. I've obviously been a little too flippent in my responses and I need to re-think them a little bit. Obviously I am just getting started and have a lot to learn.

In particular, the post you're quoting above was totally out of line. I'm really not trying to come off as this big of a jackass, it's just sort of happening. Apologies.

Andrew Fletcher 12-16-2005 01:56 AM

I guess the point that Isura made about poker tracker really should make me shut up a little bit. I mean, obviously everything I am saying is in the context of playing only about 1k hands over the past few weeks. I don't have poker tracker yet and although I understand why it rules and all the implications of not having it, well, yeah. My argument sort of ends there.

I guess I'm also wary making decisions based on poker tracker for some weird reasons, but they mostly have to do with a biography I read of Bob McNamera.

Wayfare 12-16-2005 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, fair enough. I've obviously been a little too flippent in my responses and I need to re-think them a little bit. Obviously I am just getting started and have a lot to learn.

In particular, the post you're quoting above was totally out of line. I'm really not trying to come off as this big of a jackass, it's just sort of happening. Apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dangerous to post a hand and then have a snappy response for everyone who comments that indicate you already think you know how to best play the hand.

If that's the case, no reason to use these boards.

scrapperdog 12-16-2005 03:06 AM

Waxie I understand why you are getting snappy. Because we yell at your play almost every hand you post. However, there is a good reason we yell at your play almost every hand you post. You dont seem to care the slightest about what position you are in with your pre flop raises or reraises.

Godfather80 12-16-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with disbelieving others and proving things to yourself. All great players do this (more or less) as they move up.

The thing is: you can begin to get an inkling that AJo will lose you money raising it UTG after you play 20,000-40,000 hands. Or, you can accept that if many of the Mods and high volume posters are saying the same thing, then there is probably a good reason for it.

TWP used to have Mr. Kool Aid as his avatar because he thought that posters on 2p2 were a little too willing to take certain ideas about the game as fact. But TWP also logs a great deal of hands and speaks based on a lot of experience.

What I'm saying is that you can keep your own council when reading these forums, but its a lot more beneficial when you have exhausted the resources of others, not when you are just starting out.

Wayfare 12-16-2005 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero ($55.75)
UTG+1 ($29.40)
MP1 ($3.60)
MP2 ($43.05)
MP3 ($17.30)
CO ($25)
Button ($29.30)
SB ($26.55)
BB ($37.65)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't decide if the preflop raise or the call of the reraise is worse.

I don't see any hands that you have significant equity against that would reraise preflop. Maybe his range includes PP-AQ (AT?) only one of which you beat for anything at all.

Moreoff you are out of position. Flop play lets him off the hook and you are still behind most of his range. Flop bet/3 bet would be better.

Ug this hand gives me the shudders.

EDIT: AJ is a hand that fish lose some of the most money with because they call preflop raises with it and then hit their hand and think it's the nuts. I accept that a J high flop is better than an A high flop, but you are only going to get J as top pair like what, 10% of the time? I would much rather have 89s than AJo facing a raise even out of position. At least you could be confident that you are head if the money goes in...

djoyce003 12-16-2005 02:18 PM

in general I tighten up if I get reraised.....you are either folding out a dominated hand, or you are giving a better hand like Kk the chance to reraise you...see the flop cheap, if you flop an ace you are probably ahead, if you don't you are probably behind and I'd fold...that's how I tend to play it.

beavens 12-16-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your raise UTG with AJo is silly. Fold that hand. Then you check raise the flop. Why, to fold out worse hands, but guarantee getting stacked by a set? Just lead out for 3/4 of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you always fold AJo UTG??