Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I'm being sued by the RIAA (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279094)

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 04:34 PM

I\'m being sued by the RIAA

I'm looking for some advice. Basically, I got caught using i2hub for sharing and downloading music on the internet 2 backbone.

The riaa filed lawsuits against 400+ college student across the country for copyright violations. They filed the lawsuits as john doe lawsuits. They then supenoed the colleges to turn over the identities of the IP addresses in violation.

I found out back in april after the list of ip's from my school was leaked on the internet that I was one of the unfortunate 25 from my college. I immediately loaded my computer w/ spyware, backdoors, viruses, and then corrupted the OS. I took it to CompUSA so that I could get them to document all the things wrong w/ my computer. My school's legal services department just notified me 5 days ago that they are turning over my identity to the RIAA effective yesterday (jun22).

What should I do? The reason I messed up my computer was so I could have a shot at pleading ignorance. Is this a good idea or no? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the etsimated $3500 settlement fee?

The RIAA has still not released a statement on how they got access to the I2 backbone. They applied back in Dec. 2004 and were denied by the I2 Committee. Should I wait it out and hope that a ruling that the RIAA illegaly obtained the evidence?

- Phil

Frills 06-23-2005 04:36 PM

Re: I\'m being sued by the RIAA

Sorry, but you got caught stealing, get a good lawyer

pshreck 06-23-2005 04:37 PM

Pay your 2,000 dollars and be done with it, not much else you can do.

wacki 06-23-2005 04:38 PM

***RIAA was notified of this post. You will be returned to the forum immediately***

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
***RIAA was notified of this post. You will be returned to the forum immediately***

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

crap now I'm really f'd

wacki 06-23-2005 04:38 PM

^^^ was only joking.

IndieMatty 06-23-2005 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but you got caught stealing, get a good lawyer

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pay the fine?

samjjones 06-23-2005 04:40 PM

Stick it in her pooper?

icepick 06-23-2005 04:40 PM

You played, and got caught. Pay up. Either to them or to a lawyer and gamble that he can get you off.

pshreck 06-23-2005 04:41 PM

By the way, the school I went to (Lehigh University) refused to give the indentity of any of the ip addresses. Saved my ass...

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the school I went to (Lehigh University) refused to give the indentity of any of the ip addresses. Saved my ass...

[/ QUOTE ]

you lucky bastard. I hate my school. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

gorie 06-23-2005 04:43 PM

destroy the computer. then shrug and keep your hands up and say in a stupid voice "what mp3s?" , keep a stupid look on your face and hold position until they go away. repeat if necessary.

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 04:44 PM

what happens if I cannot pay? (I can but that's besides the point) I'm sure there are many who cannot.

Also, do you think the "my computer was hacked and had spyware...blah blah blah" holds any water? I'm a computer engineer, so that makes it a little less believable hehe

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 04:47 PM

also, just for future reference I recommend getting a subscription to a binary newsgroup (newzbin.com). It costs $15/month, but you are safe from getting caught by these bastards.

David Wooderson 06-23-2005 04:48 PM

Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that mp3, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Phil_ivey_fan wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 04:52 PM

that's funny.

actually a little along the same line, my dad owns a restaurant. they have a cd player playing background music (from cds paid for by my father) for customers. One day he received a letter from the RIAA telling him that he needed to pay royalties for this else they would file a lawsuit. He ripped up the letter and never heard from them again.

at this point, I am just going to wait for them to contact me. Until then, all poker profit is going to the "i got bit.ch slapped by the riaa and now I'm vowing to never pay money for any digital copyrighted software again...besides pokertracker and playerview" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Soul Daddy 06-23-2005 04:53 PM

Awesome

pshreck 06-23-2005 04:54 PM

Now THAT is a gimmick account.

jakethebake 06-23-2005 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm pretty sure he was also all-county.

Soul Daddy 06-23-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm pretty sure he was also all-county.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just all-district I believe.

mmbt0ne 06-23-2005 04:57 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they can do this anymore, which is way some of my fellow GT students got pwned on this too.

You people need to learn how to share stupid stuff like commercials and other allowable TV clips.

guller 06-23-2005 05:00 PM

Too bad you destroyed all the files. They may have been worth the couple thousand you're going to have to pay for them.

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they can do this anymore, which is way some of my fellow GT students got pwned on this too.

You people need to learn how to share stupid stuff like commercials and other allowable TV clips.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. I'm also one of those GT students, and I am always good about not sharing, but I felt safe sharing on this network seeing as it is available (upon approval by a committee) only to educational and government entities (read: no private business - RIAA, MPAA).

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too bad you destroyed all the files. They may have been worth the couple thousand you're going to have to pay for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. they're backed up. I'm not that dumb (although the jury is still out on that one).

IndieMatty 06-23-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily the best celebrity gimmick account. I applaud.

[censored] 06-23-2005 05:03 PM

Trying to [censored] up your computer perhaos one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

Benholio 06-23-2005 05:03 PM

Get a lawyer and go for the Yahoo Music defense, as recommended by Mark Cuban.

As seen on Slashdot
"Mark Cuban is arguing over at Blog Maverick that with the introduction of Yahoo!'s new $5 per month music service that this needs to become the new de facto 'damages' that the RIAA ought to be able to claim when suing kids. After all, when the kids could have paid for the music via Yahoo! for $5 a month it makes it hard to say the music loss is worth more than that. 'The RIAA can no longer claim that students who are downloading music are costing them thousands of dollars each. They cant claim much of anything actually. In essence, Yahoo just turned possession of a controlled music substance into a misdemeanor. Payable by a $5 per month fine.'"

Of course, it isn't airtight, but I like it.

Alobar 06-23-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that mp3, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Phil_ivey_fan wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

[/ QUOTE ]

good work. A gimmic account with promise. Don't eff it up, you are sitting on a winning ticket here

phil_ivey_fan 06-23-2005 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a lawyer and go for the Yahoo Music defense, as recommended by Mark Cuban.

As seen on Slashdot
"Mark Cuban is arguing over at Blog Maverick that with the introduction of Yahoo!'s new $5 per month music service that this needs to become the new de facto 'damages' that the RIAA ought to be able to claim when suing kids. After all, when the kids could have paid for the music via Yahoo! for $5 a month it makes it hard to say the music loss is worth more than that. 'The RIAA can no longer claim that students who are downloading music are costing them thousands of dollars each. They cant claim much of anything actually. In essence, Yahoo just turned possession of a controlled music substance into a misdemeanor. Payable by a $5 per month fine.'"

Of course, it isn't airtight, but I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good advice...thanx looking into it now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

wacki 06-23-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.

Benal 06-23-2005 05:11 PM

Ahh the joys of living in Canada, where sharing music is actually legal.

[censored] 06-23-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is about money then they should take the settlement offer as they are bound to spend more than 3500 in legal expenses.

pshreck 06-23-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad Canada has no culture to speak of.

Patrick del Poker Grande 06-23-2005 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but dubbed cassette tapes suck.

Benal 06-23-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad Canada has no culture to speak of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wont get into this with you, but you are waaay off base here pal.

FYI - American "culture" is nothing to be proud of.

[censored] 06-23-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what other types of property would I be allowed to steal in Canada?

wacki 06-23-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is about money then they should take the settlement offer as they are bound to spend more than 3500 in legal expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fear &gt; some puny settlement.

Benal 06-23-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Where Sharing music ONLINE is actually legal"

Happy?

Patrick del Poker Grande 06-23-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Where Sharing music ONLINE is actually legal"

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but when is the internet going to make it to Canada?

pshreck 06-23-2005 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wont get into this with you, but you are waaay off base here pal.

FYI - American "culture" is nothing to be proud of.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me your argument so I can laugh at it.

EDIT:

I'm going to read some Canadian literature for now so I won't be able to read it right away.