Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PF questions allowed? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398225)

stoxtrader 12-14-2005 10:08 AM

PF questions allowed?

6 handed, both villains have 2k, I cover, 10/20 structure.

open AKo for 60 in the CO, button makes it 140, SB folds, BB calls. your action with 350 in the pot?

what if stacks were deeper, say 4k effective same blinds...?

my play to follow in a bit.

captZEEbo1 12-14-2005 11:36 AM

Re: PF questions allowed?

this really depends on looseness of BB and button, however I don't mind a fold here.

Yeti 12-14-2005 11:43 AM

Call both.

turnipmonster 12-14-2005 11:48 AM

ugh really? I almost never call in situations like this, what's your reasoning/gameplan?

captZEEbo1 12-14-2005 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ugh really? I almost never call in situations like this, what's your reasoning/gameplan?

[/ QUOTE ]My guess is that he's looking for AAK flop to stack KK

Yeti 12-14-2005 11:49 AM

My reasoning : it's cheap.
My gameplan : play poker.

I am a sophisticated player, as you can see.

captZEEbo1 12-14-2005 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] So you are calling that reraise with any 2 you opened simply because "it's cheap"?

stoxtrader 12-14-2005 11:54 AM

I made a slight overbet reraise (750). I guess kind of a squeezeplay.

I would fold to a push. Both folded pre-flop.

Calling is also an option, but I think you have pretty bad reverse implied odds here. I think if no A or K flops you are pretty much done, and if one does, you still want to play a small pot, which will be difficult given pre-flop action.

Yeti 12-14-2005 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] So you are calling that reraise with any 2 you opened simply because "it's cheap"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a trick question? I can't wait to see a flop here with nearly all my holdings, of course.

turnipmonster 12-14-2005 11:57 AM

hmm, still like reraising or folding. calling is cheap so can't be terrible, but how often are you going to take it down with a reraise? pretty often IMO.

stoxtrader 12-14-2005 12:00 PM

I would like calling better with smaller stacks. I think a raise is better as you get deeper. as a default anyway, without reads/history.

durrrr 12-14-2005 12:32 PM

after your raise you should be calling a push imo.

stoxtrader 12-14-2005 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after your raise you should be calling a push imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is interesting. let me think about it for a bit. I think you may be right, but want to do the math on how often the pusher or 3rd player has AA/KK here, which at that point is relatively likely I think.

BobboFitos 12-14-2005 12:48 PM

this thread is sorta similar

durrrr 12-14-2005 01:32 PM

he needs to have AA > than he has any other hand other than KK in order for you to be folding here. In other words you'd need to know him really really well to fold after a push. Also i don't like preflop much.

fsuplayer 12-14-2005 05:05 PM

i agree with you on all counts in this thread.

i see people do this smaller raise with middish PP's, good aces, and even strong kings. I am in great shape, esp. with position. and esp. if he decides to represent and A or K when it hits.

edge 12-14-2005 05:26 PM

I call and look to put my stack in with a K or A. This preflop scenario doesn't really show strength. It's a button resteal of a CO steal, and neither the button nor the blind necessarily has a good hand.

12-14-2005 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call and look to put my stack in with a K or A. This preflop scenario doesn't really show strength. It's a button resteal of a CO steal, and neither the button nor the blind necessarily has a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's probably a button resteal of a cutoff steal (which I agree it could be), why not re-raise preflop and fold to a preflop push like he did? By doing this you can fold weaker hands and go ahead and take down the pot. Putting your stack in on an A or K flop allows small blind to maybe catch a set, etc. etc., what hands are going to pay you off when you flop an A or K? Just curious as to your reasoning and respectfully asking (I've been beating 5T and T-20 for awhile but only recently started reading here, trying to get involved).

edge 12-14-2005 06:08 PM

Yeah, that's probably better. I just see the pot odds and can't resist calling [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

KaneKungFu123 12-14-2005 07:38 PM

against unknowns, i call.

FoxwoodsFiend 12-14-2005 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what hands are going to pay you off when you flop an A or K?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against most even slightly aggressive opponents, if you hit your A or your K you can normally check-raise and at least pick up a good-sized continuation bet

fsuplayer 12-14-2005 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's probably better.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, its not.

when you 3 bet you fold out weak hands and he will push with some hands you are a coinflip against, and certainly those that have you in trouble.

also, lots of these guys 3bet a steal with a decent K or A.

which is why you SHOULD call here pf. you have a semi disguised hand.

turnipmonster 12-14-2005 08:37 PM

you think he's pushing w/JJ/QQ/TT here!?!?

fsuplayer 12-14-2005 08:55 PM

some % of the time, certainly. esp. QQ.

and he is pretty much never folding 1010+ in my experiance.

if you 4 bet and are called, whats your plan for a range of flops?

mother_brain 12-14-2005 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which is why you SHOULD call here pf. you have a semi disguised hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats usually my line with regular stacks against general opponents. Big Checkraise A10-AJ when an A flops.

James282 12-15-2005 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some % of the time, certainly. esp. QQ.

and he is pretty much never folding 1010+ in my experiance.

if you 4 bet and are called, whats your plan for a range of flops?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of what you are said, but you have no clue how often he is folding TT in your experience. He isn't showing you TT and folding. A lot of times he folds and you figure "man, he had must have had KQ" when sometimes he folded QQ or something. It's like the people who play limit who say "nobody folds any pair on the river here ever, so don't bluff." People fold the pairs all the time, but sometimes they call. You only see the times they call.
-James