Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Hendrix (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=230228)

"spaceman"Bryce 04-11-2005 01:39 PM

Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Hendrix

How do I turn this into a poll?I dont know how to make the poll thingy.Anyway I vote Jimmy.

Sponger15SB 04-11-2005 01:41 PM

Re: Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Hendrix

[ QUOTE ]
How do I turn this into a poll?I dont know how to make the poll thingy.Anyway I vote Jimmy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Jimmy Hendrix?

Never heard of that guy, I'd vote Clapton.

InchoateHand 04-11-2005 01:43 PM

I've seen Clapton live, probably at his best. I wasn't around for Jimmy live, but it's clearly Jimmy.

Oh yea. And I prefer Clapton's music.

kerssens 04-11-2005 01:43 PM

Hendrix would kick Clapton's ass. Clapton is too sensitive and all those drugs probably gave Hendrix super strength.

"spaceman"Bryce 04-11-2005 01:43 PM

eh Jimi Hendrix

sam h 04-11-2005 01:46 PM

Hendrix is in an entirely different stratosphere than Clapton and his mediocre white man's blues.

Sponger15SB 04-11-2005 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eh Jimi Hendrix

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that guy....yeah hes good [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Clapton is better.

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 01:46 PM

Wait, do you mean like in a fight? Or in guitar playing abilities?

In a fight, definitely Hendrix, but Clapton is by far a superior guitar player.

Boris 04-11-2005 01:47 PM

Don't bother. Clapton shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Jimi.

turnipmonster 04-11-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Truth 04-11-2005 01:52 PM

its closer than you guys are making it out to be

"spaceman"Bryce 04-11-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What was Jimi's best song ? Is it "All along the watchtower?" or is it "purple Haze"? or is it something that I wouldnt choose....

touchfaith 04-11-2005 01:52 PM

Randy Rhodes

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's Clapton, and it's not close.

Uston 04-11-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's Clapton, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you prefer Clapton's music to Jimi's that's cool. If you think that Clapton was or is a superior guitar player, either technically or stylistically, you're terribly misguided.

Boris 04-11-2005 02:06 PM

He's certainly better than Clapton.

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, if you prefer Clapton's music to Jimi's that's cool. If you think that Clapton was or is a superior guitar player, either technically or stylistically, you're terribly misguided.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difficulty in this poll is that Hendrix and Clapton have two very different styles. Hendrix plays a fast, rock style, while Clapton leans more towards a slow, bluesy style.

That said, Clapton's mastery of slow blues guitar far surpasses Hendrix's mastery of fast rock guitar.

However, in all fairness, I do think that if he were still around today, Hendrix would be the greatest guitarist the world has ever known, but his career was cut too short and he was never really able to fully mature as an artist.

bholdr 04-11-2005 02:14 PM

I aggree with po boy:

this is an apples and oarnges thing- they're two totally different kinds of musiciand, and to compare the two is unfair. I personally prefer Jimi, but i really appreciate what clapton's done, too.

turnipmonster 04-11-2005 02:20 PM

oh come on. characterizing hendrix's style as "fast rock" is flat out ridiculous.

hogua 04-11-2005 02:22 PM

Jimi was one of the greatest (if not THE greatest), but I can't even image how incredible he'd be if he was still alive today. With another 35 years of experience, no one would even be close.

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh come on. characterizing hendrix's style as "fast rock" is flat out ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that characterizing Hendrix as "fast rock" is a little bit misleading and inaccurate, but I was trying to develop an argument and make a good juxtaposition against Clapton's different style. Fast rock seemed to fit the bill.

Boris 04-11-2005 02:26 PM

Did Clapton write any good songs?

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clapton definitely wrote at least Layla and Tears in Heaven, since he wrote them both about very personal topics (Layla was about how he was in love with George Harrison's wife, and the Tears in Heaven was about his son's death). I could go do a search and find all of the songs that he's written, but of course, I'm lazy.

EDIT: I just realized that you might have been focusing on the "good" part of that question. I would say that Layla is definitely his best song, but if someone wants to disagree, go right ahead.

asofel 04-11-2005 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimi was one of the greatest (if not THE greatest), but I can't even image how incredible he'd be if he was still alive today. With another 35 years of experience, no one would even be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duane Allman, if he hadn't died as well.

twankerr 04-11-2005 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was Jimi's best song ? Is it "All along the watchtower?" or is it "purple Haze"? or is it something that I wouldnt choose....

[/ QUOTE ]

Watchtower isn't his song, so he doesn't get credit. I'd choose "Hey Joe" or "Manic Depression."

twang 04-11-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Anyone saying "and it's not even close" have no idea what they are talking about. I suppose what they have in mind is some clip of a stoned out of his mind Hendrix setting his guitar on fire vs a middle-aged Clapton sleeping his way through a charity concert. Put that way, I guess Hendrix is cooler.

But guitar playing wise, it's pretty damn close. These guys wrote the book.

/twang

nothumb 04-11-2005 02:46 PM

Hendrix was the greatest. Ask Clapton, he'll probably tell you the same thing.

NT

"spaceman"Bryce 04-11-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watchtower isn't his song, so he doesn't get credit. I'd choose "Hey Joe" or "Manic Depression."

[/ QUOTE ]
It may not be his song but have you litsened to Bob dylans version then compared?? he made it his own.Everyone knows Bob dylan is an amazing songwriter.

turnipmonster 04-11-2005 02:47 PM

you're just overlooking that hendrix sounded great on a slow blues, "red house" being a prime example. clapton is a great player and I love his earlier stuff for his melodic sense and great time feel at any tempo. but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not). jimi's sonic palette was huge, clapton's tone has remained fairly constant.

jimi was a true original and changed the way people think about the guitar. I don't think even a clapton fan would say this about clapton.

--turnipmonster

nothumb 04-11-2005 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're just overlooking that hendrix sounded great on a slow blues, "red house" being a prime example. clapton is a great player and I love his earlier stuff for his melodic sense and great time feel at any tempo. but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not). jimi's sonic palette was huge, clapton's tone has remained fairly constant.

jimi was a true original and changed the way people think about the guitar. I don't think even a clapton fan would say this about clapton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put.

I like Clapton a lot by the way, except when he did "I Shot the Sheriff."

NT

turnipmonster 04-11-2005 02:49 PM

please, clapton didn't write any book. what can you find in clapton's playing that isn't in buddy guy's or albert king's? in my opinion, not much. hendrix redefined the instrument.

--turnipmonster

Hermlord 04-11-2005 02:54 PM

In terms of being a vituoso guitar player, meaning the ability to produce desired sounds on the guitar without being hindered by technical constraints, it's Jimi, and there's absolutely no conceivable argument otherwise. None. If you ask 1000 well-trained guitarists/musicians, I would be amazed if you got less than 999 agreements.

Now, in terms of musical or songwriting ability, obviously that's much more a matter of taste. I love Clapton, but Hendrix was just on his own plane.

Incidentally, I think Steve Vai might be the most virtuosic guitarist that ever lived, and yes I am including classical guitarists in that. I also think he is better musically than most people give him credit for.

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Touché

turnipmonster 04-11-2005 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and yes I am including classical guitarists in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate arguments like this, but do you know about yamashita?

razor 04-11-2005 03:02 PM

Jimi

twang 04-11-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not).

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget that he died young. That always works wonders for getting a solid genius status. As for the rythm-melody thing, I think that's Hendrix's most important contribution to rock guitar. Of course, he was an absolutely amazing lead player too.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's pretty much impossible to listen to the radio for more than ten minutes without hearing a couple of Clapton licks. His lead playing has had a HUGE impact on rock guitar. All meat-and-potatoes leads we hear everywhere would probably not be there without Clapton and that's a huge contribution IMHO. I agree that Jimi pushed things a lot more though.

/twang

twang 04-11-2005 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please, clapton didn't write any book. what can you find in clapton's playing that isn't in buddy guy's or albert king's? in my opinion, not much. hendrix redefined the instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jimi and Clapton are both souped up bluesplayers. Sure, Jimi pushed things a lot more, but to be honest, his more experimental stuff haven't had such a huge impact on music as him ripping through old blues licks and playing some of the meanest rythm guitar ever. Both built their careers on the shoulders of Kings and Guys and Wolfs and that's how rock guitar became rock guitar. I just can't imagine what would have happened if Jimi and Clapton wouldn't have been there to popularize the blues.

/twang

Pocket Trips 04-11-2005 03:31 PM

cross town traffic

istewart 04-11-2005 03:43 PM

NT is right on this one. Clapton would tell you the same thing and I believe has, more than once.

Clapton should be mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix, but Hendrix is clearly better.

Also, "Tears in Heaven" is possibly the gayest song ever, that doesn't help his case.

ucfryan 04-11-2005 03:47 PM

They're both awesome.