Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Lets Talk Food (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401651)

toss 12-19-2005 09:53 PM

Lets Talk Food

There are so many threads in OoT about food; so many that it could probably warrant a seperate forum about food and food only.

Today I'd like to ask a question about why it seems that food tastes better from its place of origin rather than somewhere else. I'm taking about New York or Chicago style pizza, Mexican food, barbeque, pastries, everything.

I've only eaten Pizza in southern California so I can really comment on this. Does pizza in NY or Chicago really taste superior to pizza served elsewhere around the country or world? I hear people talk about how Rocco's Place or Rick's pizza give them gastro-orgasms and what not. I watch stuff on the travel channel glorifying 100 year old stove ovens fueled by charcoal used to bake pizza thats out of this world. Now is this really true or is it all psycholigical? Does pizza baked in an ancient oven really taste better than one cooked in a modern oven? I guess I'll travel to find that out for myself one day.

12-19-2005 09:56 PM

Re: Lets Talk Food

I live in Boston and I will drive to NYC for the pizza or a hotdog from a cart.

toss 12-19-2005 09:57 PM

Guess that answers my question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But it creates another one!

Why can't other places learn how to perfectly mimic the style in which the food is prepared?

tonypaladino 12-19-2005 09:59 PM

New York pizza and bread tastes better because of the tap water.

12-19-2005 10:01 PM

I can see why an old oven will affect the taste of food. It's like when you buy a new grill for your house. The first two or three rounds of burgers just don't taste right, you got to break it in, but after 15 20 meals cooked really taste good. Think of it like seasoning. Also I don't think restaurants in CA can get properly dirty with all that damn sunshine :P

RRRRICK 12-19-2005 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many threads in OoT about food; so many that it could probably warrant a seperate forum about food and food only.

Today I'd like to ask a question about why it seems that food tastes better from its place of origin rather than somewhere else. I'm taking about New York or Chicago style pizza, Mexican food, barbeque, pastries, everything.

I've only eaten Pizza in southern California so I can really comment on this. Does pizza in NY or Chicago really taste superior to pizza served elsewhere around the country or world? I hear people talk about how Rocco's Place or Rick's pizza give them gastro-orgasms and what not. I watch stuff on the travel channel glorifying 100 year old stove ovens fueled by charcoal used to bake pizza thats out of this world. Now is this really true or is it all psycholigical? Does pizza baked in an ancient oven really taste better than one cooked in a modern oven? I guess I'll travel to find that out for myself one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure Pizza originated in Italy, not New York and Chicago

Blarg 12-19-2005 10:05 PM

San Francisco is well known for its sourdough. Things like the peculiar air pressure caused by the bay are cited, and sometimes the water.

Sometimes people have tested this sort of thing and come out finding that none of it makes any difference.

toss 12-19-2005 10:08 PM

Yes pizza originated in Europe, but whats your point? Tempura and sushi wasn't orignated from Japan.

I think many people will agree what pizza got its "character" when it made to the new world.

toss 12-19-2005 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see why an old oven will affect the taste of food. It's like when you buy a new grill for your house. The first two or three rounds of burgers just don't taste right, you got to break it in, but after 15 20 meals cooked really taste good. Think of it like seasoning. Also I don't think restaurants in CA can get properly dirty with all that damn sunshine :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, its true that you have to break in a grill before the steaks and burgers taste right.

istewart 12-19-2005 10:12 PM

Seafood, obv.

12-19-2005 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Chicago, and I don't think there is anything special about the pizza. I think Pizza Hut is just as good as anything I have eaten from a local pizza place.

kenberman 12-19-2005 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no you won't

Blarg 12-19-2005 10:14 PM

You need some no-necks from Jersey disposing of a few bodies in your pizza oven before it gets that authentic old country flavor.

12-19-2005 10:14 PM

I'm from Chicago, now in LA. Can't get a Chicago Style Pizza or hotdog out here that doesn't taste like a cheap immitation. I'm sure New Yokers would agree.

istewart 12-19-2005 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Chicago, and I don't think there is anything special about the pizza. I think Pizza Hut is just as good as anything I have eaten from a local pizza place.

[/ QUOTE ]

gg

12-19-2005 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no you won't

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes I will. What would stop me? It's a 5 hour car ride, I've driven to DE to get laid, turn around and come back. That took 8 hours.

12-19-2005 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure Pizza originated in Italy, not New York and Chicago

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it originated there, but it evolved in the USA. Just like what we consider to be Chinese or Mexican food isn't really Chinese or Mexican, but an American version of it. I'm pretty sure American pizza and Italian pizza can be considered as two different types of food.

tonypaladino 12-19-2005 10:19 PM

Regarding the pizza thing: I don't think it's a coincidence that Chicago and New York are cited in surveys as having the best tasting tap water, and also the best pizza.

istewart 12-19-2005 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the pizza thing: I don't think it's a coincidence that Chicago and New York are cited in surveys as having the most Italians and also the best pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

12-19-2005 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have no taste buds.

12-19-2005 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have no taste buds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just don't know where to go. I have been to 3 or 4 local places since I have been here, and while I think the pizza is good, IMHO it's nothing special.

bugstud 12-20-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have no taste buds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just don't know where to go. I have been to 3 or 4 local places since I have been here, and while I think the pizza is good, IMHO it's nothing special.

[/ QUOTE ]

gino's east, giordano's, rosati's, aurelio's. Try at least 2 of these before saying that, and yes at least one of these is more famous and has better thin crust than deep dish.

12-20-2005 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have no taste buds.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm talking deep dish pizza. Uno's, Lou Malnatti's, Gino's etc.

Skip Brutale 12-20-2005 02:15 AM

Well I feel you should focus on lean meats, nuts, greens, fruits, eat starches in deffinate moderation. Drink a gallon of water a day.

If something didnt exist 10,000 years ago, or it was never alive, you shouldn't eat it.

Clarkmeister 12-20-2005 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uw_madtown 12-20-2005 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First one I've seen that is absolutely deserving.

Gino's and Giordano's are [censored] mana from heaven disguised as sauce, cheese and bread.

samjjones 12-20-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no you won't

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes I will. What would stop me? It's a 5 hour car ride, I've driven to DE to get laid, turn around and come back. That took 8 hours and 20 seconds .

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

dcasper70 12-20-2005 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no you won't

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes I will. What would stop me? It's a 5 hour car ride, I've driven to DE to get laid, turn around and come back. That took 8 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you'd stop in New Haven after 2.5 hours. I'd take you to Pepe's on Wooster St and you'd forget New York had Italians...

mrkilla 12-20-2005 03:28 PM

The Pizza thing is not close, NY Pizza just flat out taste better then any place else. Even NJ and CT which are right next store are "Ok" slices but nothing to right home about. But in NYC the places that don't make a good slice usually go under while the ones that do can charge 3 dollars and everyone goes there.
Sbarro pizza seems to be the closest thing outside of NY that taste like NY style pizza.

But usually things that orignate in a place taste better there becasue, well they been there so long. Like BBQ in texas is outstanding from what I here. Theres nothing Like a Maryland crab cake either. The "locals" won't stand for stuff that doesnt taste authentic so the places that server the local cuisine have to measure up to a higher standard.

Gunny Highway 12-20-2005 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love hot dog cart hot dogs from NY, but if the OP is in SoCal, he can just mosey down to TJ for a better one than I've ever had in NY. TJ hot dogs are the [censored].

toss 12-20-2005 03:33 PM

I really need to go on a road trip or swomething. Hit up all those good eats I've been hearing about and B&Ms along the way. Then again they don't have that in New York.

12-20-2005 03:45 PM

Can't really speak to other types of food, but the #1 reason Mexican food doesn't taste the same outside of New Mexico is there's no chile in it, red or green. If it does have chile, then it's weak-ass chile. The heat or bite or whatever you want to call it can be addicting. Jalapenos don't cut it. I suppose you could ship frozen chile to wherever. Maybe this is how Garduno's in the Palms does it...I'll have to eat there next time I go to Vegas to see.

Damn I'm hungry for some rellenos.

ScottieK

mrkilla 12-20-2005 03:46 PM

Yea pokers dead right now in NY but theres rumor regarding a few B+M's ... AC and FW arent far off though

MonkeeMan 12-20-2005 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Food Fight!

http://www.filmsite.org/filmfotos/animalhouse.jpg

Gunny Highway 12-20-2005 03:55 PM

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2...alhouse0ez.gif

Rduke55 12-20-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I feel you should focus on lean meats, nuts, greens, fruits, eat starches in deffinate moderation. Drink a gallon of water a day.

If something didnt exist 10,000 years ago, or it was never alive, you shouldn't eat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Sounds like you're just waiting to die.

12-20-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sbarro pizza seems to be the closest thing outside of NY that taste like NY style pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then maybe people just tend to prefer what they grew up with. I have never been to New York and therefore have never had real NY style pizza, but I think Sbarro completely blows. That's just my opinion.

Pizza Hut >>>>> Sbarro

I mentioned I live in Chicago, but I grew up in Phoenix and my favorite pizza place is still the local place called Barro's that we would always order from. If I grew up in Chicago and moved to Phoenix, I would probably think Barro's sucked (and a lot of people in Phoenix do) and would be sitting there in Phoenix craving a stuffed sausage pie from Giordano's or something.

I am going home to Phx for Christmas and I was excited that I would get to have some Barro's. Then I thought it was kind of odd that I was sitting in Chicago craving pizza from Phoenix.

I think people create biases based on what they grew up with and what is local for them.

MrMon 12-20-2005 04:19 PM

Growing up in St. Louis, many of the local varieties are very popular, but I can't stand them. Imo's is horrible and I can't even get past the front door of White Castle due to the smell. But I love Ted Drewes Frozen Custard, Rich & Charlie's, and the many varieties of toasted ravioli. Pizza is definitely better in Chicago.

Best hot dogs come from Home Depot. But that's because I have a 4 year-old buddy who comes along. Nothing improves the flavor like having your son enjoy it with you.

MonkeeMan 12-20-2005 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2...alhouse0ez.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] cracks me up every time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

RRRRICK 12-20-2005 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes pizza originated in Europe, but whats your point? Tempura and sushi wasn't orignated from Japan.

I think many people will agree what pizza got its "character" when it made to the new world.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your oringinal post you stated place of origin.
Do you have any idea how arrogant or ignorant you sound?
Of course not your American its in your constitution to be both.

I think many Americans would agree, dont think many Italians would.

Like everything else Americans took a simple idea revolutionised it and made it there own.

The rest of world is in awe of you