Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Matusow (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370402)

revots33 11-02-2005 01:16 PM

Matusow

For a while I thought this guy was entertaining - obnoxious, but in a mostly harmless kinda way. But after watching this year's WSOP I'm convinced he's just a tool. His annoying fake laugh when Raymer got moved to his table was bad enough, but what really got me was his condescending, "I'm in the presence of a Wuuuurld Champ-eeon. I feel so priv-e-lidged!" Gotta hand it to Fossilman for having the restraint to ignore him. Now there's 2 opposite ends of the spectrum in the class department.

TheBlueMonster 11-02-2005 01:19 PM

Re: Matusow

[ QUOTE ]
For a while I thought this guy was entertaining - obnoxious, but in a mostly harmless kinda way. But after watching this year's WSOP I'm convinced he's just a tool. His annoying fake laugh when Raymer got moved to his table was bad enough, but what really got me was his condescending, "I'm in the presence of a Wuuuurld Champ-eeon. I feel so priv-e-lidged!" Gotta hand it to Fossilman for having the restraint to ignore him. Now there's 2 opposite ends of the spectrum in the class department.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, I couldn't disagree more. Nothing about what Mike did in that situation reeks of obnoxiousness. If anything it was a humorous reaction to the perceived tension between the two. I never thought for a second that there was any ill will with his comments.

DonkeyChip 11-02-2005 01:32 PM

IMO, of the two episodes last night, the one with MM at the featured table was by far the more entertaining of the two. I agree about MM and GR at opposite ends of the class spectrum. But I like contrast.

27offsuit 11-02-2005 01:50 PM

Gots to love Matusow.

What did he say?......"Kiddie table.....down the street."

Love it.

MonkeeMan 11-02-2005 02:11 PM

He's a douche. And what about his angle shooting with fake moving of his chips into the middle of the table and then pulling them out. Douche.

Sykes 11-02-2005 02:34 PM

Much <3 for Mike.

Poker poker, it's all skill
Start with the worst hand, and work uphill.

Tell me that's not f'ing hilarious.

11-02-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Much <3 for Mike.

Poker poker, it's all skill
Start with the worst hand, and work uphill.

Tell me that's not f'ing hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a great player who plays to win (and he'll tell you 1000 times a day), he is obnoxious enough to put others on tilt (and himself sometimes), and really really knows how to play. How you could not respect that is beyond me.

tonypaladino 11-02-2005 04:44 PM

I kinda like him.

cwsiggy 11-02-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did he say?......"Kiddie table.....down the street."

[/ QUOTE ]

He also said this to Prahlad after making an absolutley crazy call (ace high only) for a winning 20k pot. This really pissed off Mahatma and started the awesome banter between them. Prahlad then of course busted Mike within the hour.

Exitonly 11-02-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-02-2005 05:12 PM

He's an a-hole, then again, so am I. I sometimes make fun of idiots that make stupid plays. I don't believe the crap that doing that will make them play better. THEY AREN'T CAPABLE OF PLAYING BETTER. They don't know how. If they tighten up to run me down because they're tilting and sick of hearing me, then it makes them even more predictable. Now I know they're waiting for a monster to trap me. And, usually, they're actually waiting for a monster, not trying to bluff me. It's like they want to show they know what they're doing.
In all walks of life there are pleasant people to deal with and people that are less pleasant to deal with. There are doctors with phenomenal bedside manner and other doctors that are pricks. There are teachers that are sweet, happy, and you look forward to going to their class and other teachers are mean. Some bank tellers are nice, with others you do your business and get the hell out of there. That's just life.

gobboboy 11-02-2005 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KingMedicine 11-02-2005 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, im giving him the thumbs up, too.

garyg1 11-02-2005 09:10 PM

you better think for two seconds then and I think you will see it differently. he is a total ass at the table.

TheBlueMonster 11-02-2005 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you better think for two seconds then and I think you will see it differently. he is a total ass at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
no see, I have thought about it. He played awesome poker at this years ME and if anything was quite toned down from the "old" Mike. Do you know about the weeks of frustration leading up to the ME for Mike? I see much of his "antics" this year being a result of stress.
I also think there are much much worse people than Matasow. You haters are just jumping on the Norman Chad "Mike the Mouth is an ass" bandwagon. Ironically that's probably the same people who berate Chad all the time.

SoftcoreRevolt 11-02-2005 09:29 PM

Mike is the best thing to happen to poker since people started betting on it.

DDH 11-02-2005 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no see, I have thought about it. He played awesome poker at this years ME and if anything was quite toned down from the "old" Mike. Do you know about the weeks of frustration leading up to the ME for Mike? I see much of his "antics" this year being a result of stress.
I also think there are much much worse people than Matasow. You haters are just jumping on the Norman Chad "Mike the Mouth is an ass" bandwagon. Ironically that's probably the same people who berate Chad all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

And he's actually come off looking not too bad this year. COmpare him to Stillman, and the Sinky British guy, the two of them have been way more annoying the Mouth this year (At least what's been shown), and the Matusow is a much better player then both of them. Yeah, he can be an ass at times, but he's been nowhere near the biggest ass in WSOP this year.

utmt40 11-02-2005 10:05 PM

Mike, you da man!

Rasputin 11-02-2005 10:47 PM

He's a flaming douchetard

utmt40 11-02-2005 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> You're </font> a flaming douchetard

[/ QUOTE ]

11-02-2005 11:58 PM

Kiddie game...DOWN THE STREET.

11-03-2005 01:43 AM

Does the bankteller thing also apply to prostitutes?

wonderwes 11-03-2005 02:44 AM

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug!"

11-03-2005 06:29 AM

Mike Matusow is the greatest thing to happen to poker since Hellmuth.

11-03-2005 10:59 AM

Matusow is good for the game and is a great poker. Man I am so tired of this "nice guy" syndrome that we've got in america. Judge the guy on his talent, not his personality. No wonder corporate america sucks, we're not in high school anymore people.

Indy

revots33 11-03-2005 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow is good for the game and is a great poker. Man I am so tired of this "nice guy" syndrome that we've got in america. Judge the guy on his talent, not his personality. No wonder corporate america sucks, we're not in high school anymore people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said anything about his talent. He's a great player, no question. So are Ivey, Brunson, Negraneau, Raymer, and a bunch of other great players who manage to be great without acting like total a-holes at the table.

I'd say the real syndrome in America is the idea that antisocial and obnoxious behavior is somehow "cool" and that douchebaggery equals entertainment. It's the same thing in sports. Act like an idiot = get on Sportscenter. Play the game with class = zero highlight reels and zero endorsements. Idiotic behavior is now rewarded in America. Humility is mocked as being "boring". That's why I'm such a big fan of Raymer. The guy probably had the best 2-year run in the history of the WSOP, and managed to be classy and humble while doing it.

A guy can be funny and entertaining without being a jerkoff to the other players (Layne Flack comes to mind). Matusow is really not very funny or witty, unless you just find someone acting obnoxious to be funny in and of itself. Personally I don't find screaming, "I've got big cajones!" at your opponent to be funny, or normal behavior for an adult - but I'm sure a lot of people do.

Rasputin 11-03-2005 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

They are two completely different things. You act like the fact that he's an excellent poker player means that either he can't be, or we shouldn't comment on his douchetardiness.

The man is a hell of a player. He's also an enormous throbbing tool. There are outstanding players who aren't tools and there are tools who aren't outstanding players. They aren't related.

Indiana 11-03-2005 11:49 AM

Sorry, neighbor was over last night and I forgot to log him out. Being a Matusow type is perhaps accepted in sports but no matter how talented you are, if you dont kiss ass and play great golf you wont go to the top in corporate USA. In sports I think that there is a place for trash talking and quite frankly I really enjoy it. I'm not talking about Ali stuff like pounding a guy and calling him an uncle tom (frazier) but some smack introduced into the game can be fun and healthy. I do agree that Matusow has a big mouth and says some stupid stuff, hell the guy is majorly depressed and traumatized as a person, but he's as real as it gets and certainly adds an angle to our game that I find fascinating.

Indy

Indiana 11-03-2005 11:51 AM

If he's a douche, then let me ask you this. Who would you rather party with at da club? Raymer or Matusow?

Indy

revots33 11-03-2005 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a douche, then let me ask you this. Who would you rather party with at da club? Raymer or Matusow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually try to avoid hanging out with obnoxious ex-cons, although to be fair I'm a little old for partying at da club these days.

Again, this question assumes that being a nice guy must = boring, which I don't agree with. Don't know Greg but there's no reason to assume he wouldn't be a cool guy to hang out with.

imported_The Vibesman 11-03-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said anything about his talent. He's a great player, no question. So are Ivey, Brunson, Negraneau, Raymer, and a bunch of other great players who manage to be great without acting like total a-holes at the table.

I'd say the real syndrome in America is the idea that antisocial and obnoxious behavior is somehow "cool" and that douchebaggery equals entertainment. It's the same thing in sports. Act like an idiot = get on Sportscenter. Play the game with class = zero highlight reels and zero endorsements. Idiotic behavior is now rewarded in America. Humility is mocked as being "boring". That's why I'm such a big fan of Raymer. The guy probably had the best 2-year run in the history of the WSOP, and managed to be classy and humble while doing it.

A guy can be funny and entertaining without being a jerkoff to the other players (Layne Flack comes to mind). Matusow is really not very funny or witty, unless you just find someone acting obnoxious to be funny in and of itself. Personally I don't find screaming, "I've got big cajones!" at your opponent to be funny, or normal behavior for an adult - but I'm sure a lot of people do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a good post.

As for who I'd rather hang out with, if I was in the bar with a loud obnoxious egotistical cokehead like Matusow, I can almost guarantee we would be trading fists in about two seconds. I cannot stand this type of guy.

Miles Ahead 11-03-2005 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Layne Flack comes to mind)

[/ QUOTE ]

Flack: Ask me what I got.

Matusow: What do you got?

Flack: You beat!

idrinkcoors 11-03-2005 03:02 PM

After Matasow said, "Kiddie poker is down the street. Down the street." I would have loved to hear the guy he beat say,
"How do you know? Is it close to the Clark County jail?"

Wake up CALL 11-03-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Raymer, no contest. I would be concerned about all the undercover cop friends that hang with Mike.

Indiana 11-03-2005 05:52 PM

Ok. I like u guys so I'm gonna divulge a little something. Time and place, July/WSOP. I'm hitting on the cardplayer girls and one of them says that of all the poker players she had met, the one that she really liked and would do is Matusow.

Indy

dibbs 11-03-2005 05:57 PM

Seeing how him and GR seem to be jokey together now that lil needling seemed incredibly harmless to me, Raymer knows Matusow and how he is, he knows hes just dicking around for the most part I'd assume.

I think it would have been funny if the two actually held ESPN for ransom.

troymclur 11-03-2005 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a stupid analogy (well, i guess its more of an implied analogy). Who i'd rather party with has [censored] all to do with who has a tolerable poker presence.

To answer your question (even though you never asked me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]),I'd rather go to jail for buying cocaine, for a friend, than party with a bi-polar ex-con degenerate junkie. Besides, at least Raymer won't need you to stake him for the door charge.

11-03-2005 08:09 PM

Mike Matusow is the most entertaining person on TV besides Eddie Murphy. And it's not even close!

TheBlueMonster 11-03-2005 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Matusow is the most entertaining person on TV besides Eddie Murphy.

[/ QUOTE ]
when was the last time you saw Eddie Murphy on TV?

11-04-2005 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the bankteller thing also apply to prostitutes?

[/ QUOTE ]
You tell me.