Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   In omaha tournies... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=240972)

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 05:13 PM

In omaha tournies...

I have only found success by just waiting for the A2 hands unless im on blind or everyone folds to me except blinds.Does anyone else use this strategy? I am pretty new and so far this is the only way ive made cash. Does anyone else do this?Also what is wrong with this/what hands do you play?

Cleveland Guy 04-27-2005 05:47 PM

Re: In omaha tournies...

you need more than just A2 hands - A2 89 - no suits is very weak, as you might get half the pot.

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 05:49 PM

So in omaha I should wait for even better hands then A2???

CCx 04-27-2005 05:55 PM

"Waiting for hands" is a retarded strategy in any poker tournament.

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 06:03 PM

Not omaha h/l.

CCx 04-27-2005 06:06 PM

Hope we end up at the same table someday [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 06:33 PM

Hey i was asking for advice..mean people suck

FeliciaLee 04-27-2005 07:34 PM

There are way more nice people on this forum than mean, so let's just start over.

Okay, in a tournament there are many different strategies to succeed. It is very dependent on the amount of chips you are given and the structure.

In the only O8 tourney that I cashed big, the levels were an hour and we were given 3000 in chips, with blinds starting at 15/30 and gradually moving up. It was so slow that it was almost like a cash game. So it played a lot like a cash game. The "fast" O8 players quickly burned out trying to push with subpar hands.

In fast tourneys, waiting for A2, or "monsters" is such a horrible strategy, as I found out firsthand at Commerce in January. I totally got creamed by waiting for top hands.

Top tournament theorists seem to advise that if the structure is such that is more akin to a cash game, we play like we would a cash game. When things speed up, we have to play a lot more hands, and play them faster. Sometimes you just have to suck it in and push.

Keep asking questions.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net

Beavis68 04-27-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Waiting for hands" is a retarded strategy in any poker tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is a retarded response, I would expect more from a "poo-bah"

Cleveland Guy 04-27-2005 11:03 PM

Bryce - let me give you a longer answer.

Simply playing A2xx - will mean that many times you are playing for half the pot. So if it goes heads up - you will just get your money back, and what little overlay there is. but if no low comes, - you are throwing away your money.

You really want to get your hands in on pots you can scoop.

I play almost any 3 card -5 or 4 card -6 at least to see a cheap flop. High coordinating cards are also playable, as are hands like A3KK.

I think just waiting for A2 - is more of a long term survival strategy than a winning stragey.

Also - if you beocome that tight - you won't get any action on your hands unless you are beat or quartered.

I hope that helps.

GeoffM 04-28-2005 10:19 AM

Early, when still at a 10 seated table, I will only normally play suited aces with any 3 to the wheel. Of course, I will also play all high cards if I have a suited ace and will play AA at least for a flop.

If you're talking sitngo, then shorthanded O8 is a completely different game. More about buying position and free draws, and you can loosen up a bit and play a variety of other hands you would never consider.

Dominantly though, a good tourney, you will normally see about 20% of flops, and certainely you don't want to see more than 30% MAX.

"spaceman"Bryce 04-28-2005 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bryce - let me give you a longer answer.

Simply playing A2xx - will mean that many times you are playing for half the pot. So if it goes heads up - you will just get your money back, and what little overlay there is. but if no low comes, - you are throwing away your money.

You really want to get your hands in on pots you can scoop.

I play almost any 3 card -5 or 4 card -6 at least to see a cheap flop. High coordinating cards are also playable, as are hands like A3KK.

I think just waiting for A2 - is more of a long term survival strategy than a winning stragey.

Also - if you beocome that tight - you won't get any action on your hands unless you are beat or quartered.

I hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ] You are probably right but not on low level internet tournies.(about the action anyways) by just winning the lo you usually double up and quad up if you scoop.

lighterjobs 05-01-2005 01:27 AM

I have never played an omaha/8 tourney, but it seems like you would use pretty much the same strategy in a tournament and a cash game. but just raising with A2xx is really weak. you should always look for low cards, for example it is common to limp with A3xx and I usually raise if I have a high only hand (ie 9TJQ). but only playing A2 means you are playing for half of the pot, so you should play more hands if you want to have some big scores in a tournie and not creep into the money.

Buzz 05-01-2005 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is wrong with this/what hands do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bryce - The hands I play really depend on the circumstances.

I don't know as there's anything "wrong" with only playing A2XX hands. If it's working for you, go with it.

However, are you aware that there are various hands that do not have an ace and a deuce that are better than some hands that do?

For example, A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a better starting hand than
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

In addition, even 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], though not what i'd consider a great starting hand, is a better starting hand than the forementioned A278n. And there are worse A2XX starting hands than A278n, though that one is pretty mediocre. (Doesn't mean yours truly won't see the flop with any of them).

Indeed, lots of hands that don't have an ace plus a deuce are better starting hands than lots of hands that do.

Thus you probably are folding some better starting hands than you're voluntarily playing.

Buzz

tpir90036 05-04-2005 07:15 PM

I would love to hear more about O8 tournament strategy. I tried playing a limit tourney on Stars the other night and literally played a grand total of 4 hands voluntarily. 4!!

Now granted, I was running *super* dead with a healthy string of 6789's.... but what weaker hands to include escaped my mind. Especailly with the entire table seeing every flop and my likely check-folding if I played something like KK43ss. My biggest problem is that playing the later streets with these weak hands just burns my chips off since I never know where I am and end up passively calling down and hoping.