Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   session review time again (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399599)

numeri 12-16-2005 11:42 AM

session review time again

Hello all,

It's that time again. For the uninitiated, there's a long explanation here with links and such I'm too lazy to do again.

Last time, the process was:

1. send me a PM saying you would like to be included
2. wait
3. by Monday evening, I will send you two usernames - the one you will be reviewing, and your reviewer*
4. PM your email to the 2+2er you will be reviewing
5. email a recent session (<200 hands) to your reviewer
6. review the session you were sent and reply via email, PM, AIM, etc.
7. discuss

* The size of the pool got pretty unwieldly last time, so I ended up just posting the pairings in a new thread. 50 PMs was just a bit too much. I plan on doing the same this time.

At this point, I already have a few committed. Here's the list so far:

adsman
Guruman
numeri
Vincent
xwillience

If you're interested in joining again, just PM me. I'll take submissions until Monday evening. Just in case, send your level as well.

I'd also like to get your thoughts on the process. At this point, the primary questions seem to be:

1. Should we split by level of play? If there is an overwhelming response, we could do something like 0.5/1-2/4 and 3/6-5/10.

2. Videos? We might also consider including these somehow for those who are interested.

If there's some debate, maybe we can set up a poll. In general, people seem to be happy with the format, and now I'm just rambling so I'll stop.

Cheers,
~Dan

EDIT: PM your level(s), too - just in case.

Guruman 12-16-2005 11:53 AM

Re: session review time again

i love reviewing the sessions of people that play at higher stakes than I do. It gives me a good look at what I can expect when I move up. I also like to test my analysis of how to play people at those levels.

I also don't mind having people below my level critique my play. If its undefendable then its undefendable.

I'm not perfect. I just try to play that way. (I suck at that though) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

numeri 12-16-2005 12:40 PM

Let me further the discussion about pairing by levels. I know there are mixed feelings about this, so lets do a poll and see if anyone responds.

Wynton 12-16-2005 01:08 PM

I voted for split into the 2 levels, though I actually prefer splitting into the precise levels. My fear, though, is that it'll be too hard for you to make sure 5/10 players only review and get reviewed by other 5/10 players, etc.

There are good and bad players at all levels. And I'm sure I can learn from everyone. But frankly, I'd much rather be do this with people who are playing pretty similar levels.

12-16-2005 01:44 PM

I don't like the split idea much. If you're going to do it, having the two levels is much better than individual pairings, but I don't think it accomplishes much. I'm at 5/10 now but I can certainly use critique from a 1/2 player, even if he or she has just started. It's always nice to have someone who's so focused on the fundamentals. I mean, sure, everyone wants a review where the focus is on third-level thinking and value betting your opponent, etc etc. But the basic stuff is crucial too, and easy to take for granted if you're 4-tabling on autopilot.

12-16-2005 02:33 PM

I found last week's session reviews to be incredibly useful in that they made me spend some time thinking about hands in more depth than I usually do, and I want to thank numeri for organizing these reviews.

I don't like the idea of splitting the reviews by level. For one thing, the levels that we play at are only a crude approximation of ability. I am currently trying to move up to Party 3/6, and am up slightly over a few thousand hands. Does that meant that I am a better player than someone who is beating 2/4? I don't think so. More importantly, I have played enough to know that I don't know very much about poker, and there is a lot that I can learn from talking to people playing 1/2 or .5/1.

MexKrax 12-16-2005 04:40 PM

I still have yet to hear from the person who was suppposed to be reviewing my hands from the last time we did this. Did this happen to anyone else?

POKhER 12-16-2005 04:45 PM

I dunno, i guess it kind of sucks in a sense to have your hands reviewed by someone who is clueless.

Then again, you can't really exclude "beginners" from it as the whole point is to learn.

Anyhow im about to pm you saying IM IN.

I'd say split by levels, the game changes as you move up... indentify where it changes significantly and split.

Then again sites vary so someone playing 5/10 at absolute and someone playing 1/2 at UB.... may not be a whole lot different(bad example meh...).

POKhER.

Wynton 12-16-2005 04:46 PM

Yeah, happened to me too. I also received no feedback from the person I reviewed, which would have been nice.

jba 12-16-2005 04:47 PM

well I reviewed a session and they guy I reviewed never responded, and I felt like it was just a waste of my time. I dunno about this whole thing.

12-16-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still have yet to hear from the person who was suppposed to be reviewing my hands from the last time we did this. Did this happen to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this happened to me. It was kind of my fault too because I never got in touch with him (I've been very busy so it wasn't a big deal). I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that the match-up thread drops off of the first page so quickly. Is there a way we could sticky it or something? I guess then nobody could respond...

Guruman 12-16-2005 05:04 PM

it happened to me the first time. IMO the potential knowledge gained is worth the risk of not having someone respond.

(I could do an ev calculation. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

numeri 12-16-2005 05:07 PM

Part of this might have been because I wasn't able to PM everyone. It's taken me almost an hour with 20 different people to PM - just to make sure everything was set up correct - and sending 50 just didn't sound appealling.

I've still found it very helpful, and I know others have as well. I wouldn't get too disappointed if you didn't hear from someone. I've had that happen to me, but I still enjoyed reviewing the other person.

Dopey 12-16-2005 05:10 PM

I haven't heard back from the person reviewing my hands, but I accept the blame for that as I went away right after the pairings where made and only got a HH to him a few days ago.

I was more bothered by the fact that the person I was supposed to review never sent anything. Reviewing someones elses play was the main reason I signed-up for this, as I did a review post of one of Pokher's session and it made me think alot more about my game than I normally do.

I sent a PM, so I am in again. Hopefully I get matched up with someone who actually sends something this time.

Dopey [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Guruman 12-16-2005 05:30 PM

Hey Dopey,

If you'd like a spare session to review and want to see me tilt at a wild table, check out this session.

Those opponents will keep you up nights. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

adsman 12-16-2005 05:41 PM

I voted no split.

Good insight can come from the most unlikely sources. My reviewer this time has about 20 posts to his name, a complete newbie - he did a great review of my session. We're all here to learn and we can all contribute in some way. Plus for those hoping to move up, reviewing a session at a limit higher than the one you play can be a big additional help.

I would like a return to the random partner generator method - I liked the surprise.

keep up zee good work numeri.

Dopey 12-16-2005 05:49 PM

Guruman,

Can't access the session, I guess because i don't have a gmail account. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I sent a PM if you want to e-mail it to me I'd be interested in taking a look.

aargh57 12-16-2005 05:52 PM

Hey numeri,

I'd like to do a session but am going to be on vacation after X-mass for a week (Vegas baby!!). I'm assuming it will start the 19th and go to the 2nd? I'm sure that some others will be in the same situation around the holidays. Thanks.

POKhER 12-16-2005 05:54 PM

If anyone here wants to do a "Sweat for a sweat" then post hands we disagree on, on this forum that'd be much better than going through 200 hands.

I find sweats far more interesting. Also help note taking and keep me concentrating aswell as learning more.

Anyone interested? Preferably play above or at $1/2 6max - AIM is: POKhERLH - Anyone can add me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thought i'd post it here rather than spam the board.

Numeri i pmed you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

numeri 12-16-2005 06:10 PM

some key points

I'd like to make a couple points.

First, I know some of this is due to the lack of follow-through on my part in not sending a PM to everyone, but there were obviously a few who did not respond or participate the last time. Please do not submit your name if you do not intend to participate.

Second, aargh57 makes a good point about the holiday season. I will also be very busy travelling. Since I'm in charge [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], I propose making this a three-week session. All reviews should be completed by Monday, January 9th. For those who aren't busy and feel this is extraneous, feel free to set up your own!

Also, the split poll is ... well ... split. Interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll hold off judgement for now.

Dopey 12-16-2005 06:12 PM

Pokher,

Explain your "Sweat for Sweat" idea, I might be interested.

Peter Harris 12-16-2005 07:36 PM

sweat for sweat

i sweated ads for 2 hours last week. He's done 45mins of sweat for me. Having a 2+2er over your shoulder stops you fecking up at the tables. Peers make peeps nervous.

scotty34 12-16-2005 07:45 PM

I am probably going to have to sit this one out. I'm headed home for christmas, so I won't have a computer with PT. I will voice that I think the 2-level split is probably a good idea. It's not that I don't feel I can learn from players at lower levels - I found my last session to be great. However, the difference in game dynamics between 5/10 and .5/1 is huge. It just seems to make more sense to me for sessions to be carried out where the reviewer has experience with the type of play that is happening.

12-16-2005 07:45 PM

I agree with guruman, these hand review sessions are really, really useful. I didn't get any comments back from the guy I reviewed but that probably serves me right for failing to return more than half the hands of the guy I reviewed one month earlier [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

As for being reviewed myself, I got more out of the session review (guruman reviewed me and gave me a smackdown when I spewed) than anything on this forum in a long time. In fact, it helped "get my groove back" to play 5/10. I think it's a safe bet if the person who's supposed to be reviewing you doesn't, just bookmark this thread and come back in a week or two and pm one of us, I know I'd be happy to give a little back to this community that's constantly improving my game.

POKhER 12-16-2005 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokher,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get on AIm or MSN - Ill just type myhands to you as we play and you can say "bet" "fold that hes got you beat". "Ah2c" "AcAc RIGGED".

Then we argue over folding it and both think we're right so post on 2+2 and then we get an answer... then 2+2ers argue about it and think they're both right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1hour for 1hour. I play with my cash, you watch... you play your games and ill watch.

This has got to be more "stakes" suited i think though as aggression of at 20/40 game(Extreme example) will probably make a 1/2 player fold a hell of alot for example.

Anyhow i'm at .5/1 for partys bonus then back to 1/2 for a bit and some 2/4 at pacific [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

If your interested, PM Me - Or whoever is at your stakes that you want to do this with.

Numeri Why not do this once a month, and each week the reviewers who get paired up send eachother a session. After that month they switch to a new reviewer.

1 week trial, then they must re-arrange it if they hate their reviwer(no hard feelings).

Hows it sound?

12-16-2005 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pokher,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get on AIm or MSN - Ill just type myhands to you as we play and you can say "bet" "fold that hes got you beat". "Ah2c" "AcAc RIGGED".

Then we argue over folding it and both think we're right so post on 2+2 and then we get an answer... then 2+2ers argue about it and think they're both right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1hour for 1hour. I play with my cash, you watch... you play your games and ill watch.

This has got to be more "stakes" suited i think though as aggression of at 20/40 game(Extreme example) will probably make a 1/2 player fold a hell of alot for example.

Anyhow i'm at .5/1 for partys bonus then back to 1/2 for a bit and some 2/4 at pacific [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

If your interested, PM Me - Or whoever is at your stakes that you want to do this with.

Numeri Why not do this once a month, and each week the reviewers who get paired up send eachother a session. After that month they switch to a new reviewer.

1 week trial, then they must re-arrange it if they hate their reviwer(no hard feelings).

Hows it sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokher- I really like this idea of having it go on 4x during a month, but this only works if the reviewer is paired up with the reviewee and not a daisy chain where i review a, c reviews me, d reviews c, etc etc. But I do like this idea. Can we do this numeri? Please?

kidcolin 12-16-2005 10:25 PM

I missed the first one, and I'm going to have to miss this one since I'm going back to Sassachusetts for Christmas. But this is a great idea and I don't know how I missed it last time around.

I like the level splitting idea. I'd be happy reviewing a 3/6er's play.

Guruman 12-16-2005 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for being reviewed myself, I got more out of the session review (guruman reviewed me and gave me a smackdown when I spewed) than anything on this forum in a long time. In fact, it helped "get my groove back" to play 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

aww, you're sweet. I'm still trying to stick at 2/4. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

numeri 12-17-2005 12:38 PM

Bump for the Saturday crowd. At the moment, it looks like the 'split' vote is winning, so be sure to send your level as well.

nomadtla 12-17-2005 03:44 PM

Re: some key points

[ QUOTE ]
Second, aargh57 makes a good point about the holiday season. I will also be very busy travelling. Since I'm in charge [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], I propose making this a three-week session. All reviews should be completed by Monday, January 9th. For those who aren't busy and feel this is extraneous, feel free to set up your own!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing 4 weeks with this in the micros for this reason as well. Though three weeks seems more fitting. Since I link you for any microer that would need it I must go edit quickly to 3 weeks so we stay on the same weeks.

Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Thomas

trainslayer 12-17-2005 03:51 PM

Re: some key points

[ QUOTE ]

Also, the split poll is ... well ... split. Interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll hold off judgement for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This swung it for me. I'm in, PM sent. Plus I should have my new puter set up in plenty of time too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I didn't vote on the split, makes no nevermind to me.

numeri 12-17-2005 04:28 PM

current list (Saturday)

Here's the list so far. A few are missing levels - I'll just assume the lower unless told otherwise.

aargh57
ADDboy
adsman
Alex1212
Aurigamortis
car ramrod
DarkKnight
dietlime
Dopey
GME
Guruman
Happydaz
have it all
ImsaKidd
Koss
kross
monthlynut
mvoss
numeri
Peter Harris
pistolero
POKhER
Somekid
TheDelChop
trainslayer
Tsai Shen
Uben
Vincent
Wynton
xwillience
yoshi_yoshi

Still plenty of time to get in!

numeri 12-18-2005 11:35 AM

bump

Bump for the Sunday crowd.

numeri 12-19-2005 10:09 AM

updated list

Here's the list as of Monday morning:

aargh57
ADDboy
adsman
Alex1212
Aurigamortis
AUrigamortis
car ramrod
DarkKnight
dietlime
Disconnected
Dopey
GME
Guruman
Happydaz
have it all
hemstock
ImsaKidd
Koss
kross
monthlynut
mvoss
numeri
Peter Harris
pistolero
POKhER
Somekid
Stonewalled
TheDelChop
trainslayer
Tsai Shen
Uben
Vincent
Wynton
xwillience
yoshi_yoshi

It looks like the 'split' votes are in the lead right now, so unless the voting changes significantly, I'll be pairing with the split.

adsman 12-19-2005 10:35 AM

Re: updated list

This could be crazy, don't take it from me, I mean what do I know, but......

what are the chances of Aurigamortis and AUrigamortis being the same person?

numeri 12-19-2005 10:48 AM

Re: updated list

Ha! That's what happens when I get two PMs - you get on the list twice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks ads.