Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   the dreaded "describe your weaknesses" interview question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=254930)

Rhone 05-18-2005 10:16 PM

the dreaded \"describe your weaknesses\" interview question

What's the best way you've answered this or seen it answered in a job interview?

masse75 05-18-2005 10:17 PM

Re: the dreaded \"describe your weaknesses\" interview question

Puppy Dogs. I'm a sucker for puppies.

SpearsBritney 05-18-2005 10:21 PM

I have people skills. I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

YourFoxyGrandma 05-18-2005 10:21 PM

Sometimes I catch myself working a little TOO hard.

gorie 05-18-2005 10:21 PM

"I WORK WAYYYYY TOO HARD"
"I accept being underpaid"
"I am just too efficient sometimes and I run out of work to do."

actually i think i just say something like "i'm shy.. but once i get use to being around people i'm fine." because it is true.

gorgeous 05-18-2005 10:23 PM

Stick it in her pooper.

Cubswin 05-18-2005 10:23 PM

Go ahead and identify a minor weakness you might have had and then discuss how you overcame it. An example from The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Interview:

"I used to have some difficulty staying organized on the road. But then I got into the habit of making journal notes immediately after each customer call. I just learned to take the time to do it -- then and there. Since then, I've always been together, in the home office or out on the road."

Rhone 05-18-2005 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these "turn the weakness into a strength" strategies are a little too transparent...

The strategy Cubswin gave of giving an example of how you overcame a weakness seems like a good idea.

whiskeytown 05-18-2005 10:29 PM

"sometimes I'm a perfectionist" one is so BS - recruiters see right thru it these days - I had a really good one once but forgot it -

RB

Vince Young 05-18-2005 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-18-2005 10:32 PM

Frankly, if they're going to ask such a lame, unimaginative question, they deserve a stupid, unimaginative answer.

mmbt0ne 05-18-2005 10:34 PM

I find it hard to take work seriously all the time when I make more money from poker than your salary.

*Note: I couldn't say it.

ThaSaltCracka 05-18-2005 10:42 PM

I just recently answered this question with this reply:

I think one thing that is my weakness is sometimes I restrain myself from taking the initiative to learn new things. I get so caught up in what I am doing that I don't think I can add anything else to my day, and I think thats a weakness for me because I think it is preventing me from reaching my full potential as a worker. I know I can learn these new things and adapt to the new work load, and I think that is something I need to start doing.

damaniac 05-18-2005 10:45 PM

Smithers: What would each of you say is your worst quality?

Man 1: Well, I <am> a workaholic.
Man 2: I push myself too hard.
Homer: Well, it takes me a long time to learn anything, I'm kind of a goof-off...
Smithers: Okay, that'll do.
Homer: ... a little stuff starts disappearing from the workplace...

bump 05-18-2005 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just recently answered this question with this reply:

I think one thing that is my weakness is sometimes I restrain myself from taking the initiative to learn new things. I get so caught up in what I am doing that I don't think I can add anything else to my day, and I think thats a weakness for me because I think it is preventing me from reaching my full potential as a worker. I know I can learn these new things and adapt to the new work load, and I think that is something I need to start doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I think that this is too much of a real weakness and could prohibit you from getting a job if you are in an organization where it is possible to move up the ladder. This shows that you don't have the aptitude for management.

[ QUOTE ]
I accept being underpaid

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was ever interviewing anyone and they said this as an answer to the question you could be damn sure I was going to lowball them on their salary offer!

gorie 05-18-2005 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these "turn the weakness into a strength" strategies are a little too transparent...

[/ QUOTE ]
i know, i was kind of mocking it.
that's always what you're told to do, but i agree with you.

then again, the "work too hard" thing is probably a safe way to go if you aren't sure what else to say..

gorie 05-18-2005 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I accept being underpaid

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was ever interviewing anyone and they said this as an answer to the question you could be damn sure I was going to lowball them on their salary offer!

[/ QUOTE ]
next interview:
"SOMETIMES I SAY THINGS I SHOULDNT. oh and i am always willing to work a lot of overtime."

slickpoppa 05-18-2005 10:55 PM

My greatest weakness is answering questions about my weaknesses.

Matt Flynn 05-18-2005 10:58 PM

"Kryptonite."

Mr. Zero 05-18-2005 11:03 PM

Here's the thing. It's all relative. If I was to say "I'm too competitive", is that a weakness? As an attorney probably not. But maybe. When I'm playing ping-pong with my girlfriend, it certainly is.

Depending on context I can probably label any character trait as a strength OR a weakness.

fnord_too 05-18-2005 11:03 PM

Geography.

gorie 05-18-2005 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My greatest weakness is answering questions about my weaknesses.

[/ QUOTE ]
i like this.

peachy 05-18-2005 11:08 PM

ive always answered it as that i cant let something go unfinished...that i get over determined to make something work, etc etc - so it works to mah benifit!

bdk3clash 05-18-2005 11:09 PM

"Sometimes on job interviews I just want to leap across the desk and stab the person who's interviewing me in the throat with their letter opener. Do you guys have dental?"

tbach24 05-18-2005 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mah

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you're back to doing this. It always makes me laugh.

jaxUp 05-18-2005 11:15 PM

I have a series of job interviews coming up...this is going to be fun.

whiskeytown 05-18-2005 11:16 PM

how about "I think being disrespectful to the people hiring me and my bosses makes me seem like a stronger leader"

that'll work - [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Gamblor 05-18-2005 11:21 PM

Funny everyone here works OOT hard.

billyjex 05-18-2005 11:25 PM

it's questions like these that make me not want to even bother with a real job when i graduate.

TimM 05-19-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's questions like these that make me not want to even bother with a real job when i graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never gotten a job from interviews. I've always known someone who knows someone, etc.

I really hope I never have to do one of these.

Duke 05-19-2005 01:46 AM

Psychoanalyzing myself. That, and fitting into small spaces.

~D

YourFoxyGrandma 05-19-2005 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The strategy Cubswin gave of giving an example of how you overcame a weakness seems like a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i know, i was kind of mocking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

JackThree 05-19-2005 02:11 AM

i usually respond by saying i sometimes have a tendency for perfectionism

Blarg 05-19-2005 02:43 AM

Stupid questions like this. They make me want to punch my interviewer in the face.

Daliman 05-19-2005 02:46 AM

I used to be a recruiter, and I figured out the PERFECT response to this while doing that, and for my own interviews. It's actually true for me though.

"My biggest weakness is that I learn too fast. Now, obviously, that doesn't seem like a weakness, but what ends up happening is that a job that takes 3 months to train for I learn in 3 weeks, and then my supervisors don't feel the need to have to train me anymore and often a situation will come up where I am left on my own early on and I don;t know the proper procedure because it is something that you can only learn through experience."

Worked for me. THe last 13 jobs I have interviewed for, I got an offer on,(mind you, these weren't big-deal jobs by any stretch, but still, it's a tiny bit impressive to me.)

The Legend 05-19-2005 02:49 AM

farm animals

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

TheWorstPlayer 05-19-2005 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a recruiter, and I figured out the PERFECT response to this while doing that, and for my own interviews. It's actually true for me though.

"My biggest weakness is that I learn too fast. Now, obviously, that doesn't seem like a weakness, but what ends up happening is that a job that takes 3 months to train for I learn in 3 weeks, and then my supervisors don't feel the need to have to train me anymore and often a situation will come up where I am left on my own early on and I don;t know the proper procedure because it is something that you can only learn through experience."

Worked for me. THe last 13 jobs I have interviewed for, I got an offer on,(mind you, these weren't big-deal jobs by any stretch, but still, it's a tiny bit impressive to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was interviewing you, I would say "If you are saying that is your BIGGEST weakness, I am saying you are a [censored] liar. And I'm a big tool for asking this question that I got from googling 'interview questions'."

daryn 05-19-2005 05:02 AM

my unimaginable laziness.

Dr. Strangelove 05-19-2005 06:31 AM

Hookers and coke. And giving stupid answers to stupid questions.

Rotating Rabbit 05-19-2005 08:37 AM

I've never failed an interview, done 8 in total (university, investment banks etc.)

Its appears to be a dumb question (almost all interview questions do) but its useful because it tests whether you can play the game.

And in this game what matters is not just what you say, its how you say it. You get lots of points for evidence. A good answer is one that a) brings in evidence, b) shows desire to stop the weakness c) is modest and yet d) doesnt actually really state any weaknesses.

E.g. 'Well in the past, when I was working on <insert (and its on your cv)> I focused too much on the small details of this one section because it irritated me it wasnt quite right, when I definitely should have focused most on this other section which needed much more work. So this meant I was under a lot of pressure to finish in time. Luckily I did manage to on this occasion, but it was a really close shave....But I've done my best to learn from this to happen again so now I always try to plan my time ahead better! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]