Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Puke- What a horrible ad (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372674)

TomCollins 11-05-2005 10:18 PM

Puke- What a horrible ad

web page

11-06-2005 11:23 AM

Re: Puke- What a horrible ad

Yeah, but that get's right to the heart of the matter. Homosexual marriages are illegal because God doesn't like them. It's a stupid ad, because you don't really need to reaffirm to the religious conservative base that homosexual marriages are contrary to God's design. There is no non-religious rationale for discriminating against same-sex couples that is reasonable.

The Don 11-06-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but that get's right to the heart of the matter. Homosexual marriages are illegal because God doesn't like them. It's a stupid ad, because you don't really need to reaffirm to the religious conservative base that homosexual marriages are contrary to God's design. There is no non-religious rationale for discriminating against same-sex couples that is reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]\

Yep. It is disturbing that people actually buy into that dogmatic BS and that they feel it is their right to impose their will on others.

Peter666 11-06-2005 02:14 PM

"There is no non-religious rationale for discriminating against same-sex couples that is reasonable."

This is not true. Homosexuals clearly break natural law, and their inability to produce offspring is detrimental to the human race. Also, for them to get the tax benefits of a normal couple would be a drain on the economy.

The pagan philosophers all condemned homosexuality as well. This is not a "Christian" thing.

The Don 11-06-2005 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pagan philosophers all condemned homosexuality as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to Socrates.

Peter666 11-06-2005 02:34 PM

Huh??? Do you know anything about Socrates?

sirio11 11-06-2005 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not true. Homosexuals clearly break natural law, and their inability to produce offspring is detrimental to the human race. Also, for them to get the tax benefits of a normal couple would be a drain on the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, 21st century and still you find people believing this crap.

Borodog 11-06-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"There is no non-religious rationale for discriminating against same-sex couples that is reasonable."

This is not true. Homosexuals clearly break natural law

[/ QUOTE ]

Which natural law is that? Conservation of energy? Momentum perhaps? The law of gravity?

[ QUOTE ]
and their inability to produce offspring is detrimental to the human race.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is? How so? My mother is 74 years old. Is her inability to produce offspring a detriment to the human race? I look around and see plenty of people pounding out squalling brats, more than enough to make up for those that either can't or choose not to.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, for them to get the tax benefits of a normal couple would be a drain on the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, how would someone being able to keep more of their own money be a drain on the economy? It clearly would be a boost for the economy, since they would have more funds to spend. Furthermore, even if it were a drain on the economy, wouldn't that mean that tax benefits for "normal" couples is a drain on the economy? Shouldn't your position then be to eliminate tax benefits for heterosexual couples, rather than simply deny them to homosexual couples?

[ QUOTE ]
The pagan philosophers all condemned homosexuality as well. This is not a "Christian" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some citations, please?

11-06-2005 04:17 PM

What do you expect from a bunch of drunken hillbillies who believe in a magical, non-existant figure as their savior?

Dynasty 11-06-2005 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you expect from a bunch of drunken hillbillies who believe in a magical, non-existant figure as their savior?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got nothing on them in the tolerance category.

The ad looked fine to me. It did a good job of conveying a message many believe.

bobman0330 11-06-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh??? Do you know anything about Socrates?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, read the Symposium...

whiskeytown 11-06-2005 04:48 PM

I saw a great bumper sticker today...

it said "Every time you mix religion and politics, someone gets burned at the stake"

Amen...

RB

CORed 11-06-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Homosexuals clearly break natural law,

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, thanks for bringing that to my attention. What "natural law" do they break?
What the heck is "natural law" anyway, and why should I care if somebody breaks it?
[ QUOTE ]
and their inability to produce offspring is detrimental to the human race.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, humanity is dying out because of all those non-reproducing homoxexuals. Oh, wait: We're at six billion and still rising.
[ QUOTE ]
Also, for them to get the tax benefits of a normal couple would be a drain on the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the most interesting statement in this whole, confused post. I always hear about the "marriage penalty". I was under the impression that married people pay more taxes, at least if both spouses are working. Then again, maybe you're a supply sider and meant to say that the aditional taxation would be a drain on the economy.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for demonstrating your ignorance. I'm sure that there were some pagans against homoxeuality, but "all" is certainly not correct. The ancient Greeks were very tolerant of homosexuality, as were some American Indian tribes. Intolerance of homosexuality is a common, but by no means universal trait of human cultures.

Manque 11-06-2005 05:57 PM

Isn't the reason we vote to impose our will on others?

Borodog 11-06-2005 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why some of us don't vote.

hmkpoker 11-06-2005 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more of an argument to deny heterosexuals tax benefits. (which, incidentally, I'd be in favor of)

coffeecrazy1 11-06-2005 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Resisting...urge to...feed...troll...

Peter666 11-06-2005 08:12 PM

You think I haven't? I have not read so many retarded statements in one thread as I have here.

Peter666 11-06-2005 08:13 PM

Good, it should. Let the burnings begin.

Peter666 11-06-2005 08:15 PM

Without heterosexuals, you don't have a family, the basis of a society.

CORed 11-06-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we come to the meat of the matter. The usually unstated belief among homophombes that if homosexuality is not vigrously repressed, everybody will turn gay. That's right folks, for the majority of you who are heterosexual, the only reason you are sexually attracted to people of the opposite gender is the sure knowledge that you will be punished, by God and the state, if you dare to do what you really want to do, and have sex with people of the same gender. If we don't persecute gay people, next thing you know, everybody will be gay, and h o m o sapiens will be doomed to extinction.

CORed 11-06-2005 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think I haven't? I have not read so many retarded statements in one thread as I have here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So quit making them.

Borodog 11-06-2005 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Peter666 11-06-2005 11:27 PM

Homophobes are that way because of nature. They don't choose to be homophobes. Why don't you let them live as they please?

11-06-2005 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Homophobes are that way because of nature. They don't choose to be homophobes. Why don't you let them live as they please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im still waiting for you to tell us how Socrates, who repeatedly directly alluded to personal sexual relations with boys, was a god-fearing straight man.

Please, enlighten me.

PoBoy321 11-07-2005 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Im still waiting for you to tell us how Socrates, who repeatedly directly alluded to personal sexual relations with boys, was a god-fearing straight man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he said that the only real love was between two men.

11-07-2005 01:19 AM

Im not claiming to be a Socrates expert, if your statement is true, I wasnt aware, I only read The Republic, and Plato's book about Socrates. Im assuming that he was speaking platonically, but again I may be wrong.

All I know is that I bs'd my way through a 10-page paper on why his ideal city couldn't exist and was unfair to its populace

so Pete, where you at buddy? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PoBoy321 11-07-2005 02:34 AM

linky

I'm trying to find a brief quote that sums up his argument, but I can't, so I'll paraphrase.

Basically, Socrates says that we love what we love what we want and we want what we can't have, because if we had it, we wouldn't want it and wouldn't love it, and most of all, we want immortality and youth, so the most natural kind of love is between an older man and a younger boy (in this sense, it means like 16 or 17 years old) because the man loves youth.

Peter666 11-07-2005 02:55 AM

If one has read the "Repulic" or "Gorgias" and some other works one obviously knows that Socrates was against all excessive sexual behaviour, and even rejected physical contact! Men should love each other like a father loves his son was his conclusion. Plato goes into more detail about the unnaturalness and despicability of homosexuality in his LAWS.

Peter666 11-07-2005 02:59 AM

You who have never heard the concept of natural law, either legal or moral? Have you gone beyond the 10 grade?

PoBoy321 11-07-2005 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If one has read the "Repulic" or "Gorgias" and some other works one obviously knows that Socrates was against all excessive sexual behaviour, and even rejected physical contact! Men should love each other like a father loves his son was his conclusion. Plato goes into more detail about the unnaturalness and despicability of homosexuality in his LAWS.

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Socrates and Plato weere two different people.

B) Socrates was involved in numerous homosexual relationships (e.g. Alcibiades in the Symposium).

EDIT: And a linky from someone with more time and energy to research this.

The Don 11-07-2005 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why voting (and the state in general) is bullshit.

Peter666 11-07-2005 03:30 AM

Did you even read your link? Socrates had a sensual feeling for Alcibiades but later rejected it as shameful. This is written in the article itself. And you conclude that he had numerous homosexual relationships because of this???

We have a serious problem with reading comprehension here.

11-07-2005 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Athenian society in general tolerated this homosexual relationship and excused it with a wink, if it did not violate the bounds of decorum (e.g., sexual aggressiveness and promiscuity on the part of an erômenos or carrying on this kind of affair after the boy had become a man and/or after the older male had married). On the other hand, among the wealthy Athenian aristocracy, the romantic association between erastês and erômenos was idealized and positively encouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-07-2005 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Homosexuals clearly break natural law, and their inability to produce offspring is detrimental to the human race.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about sterile people? Old people? Nuns? Priests?

PoBoy321 11-07-2005 04:50 AM

Socrates, later in his life, decided that all sexual activity was shameful, yes. That doesn't negate his earlier homosexual activity, nor does it change the fact that he was attracted to men.

You would do well to practice what you preach.

superleeds 11-07-2005 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If one has read the "Repulic" or "Gorgias" and some other works one obviously knows that Socrates was against all excessive sexual behaviour

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you havn't read them as these were written by Plato. (And yes, I know he uses Socrates as the main conduit for his (and that is Plato's) ideas. He does this as a literary vehicle not because he and Socrates agreed on everything, fyi they didn't).

tolbiny 11-07-2005 11:25 AM

"and their inability to produce offspring is detrimental to the human race"

Are you talking about evolution here? how is it detrimental?

11-07-2005 12:20 PM

Stop arguing with peter, you won't get anywhere. I mean for chrissake he defends slavery and genocide. It will only piss you off that people like him exist and encourage opression and burnings at the stake.

Meech 11-07-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao at the irony.