Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tom Cruise on Today Show (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279805)

DemonDeac 06-24-2005 04:53 PM

Tom Cruise on Today Show

holy crap. did anyone see that? he ripped Matt Laer a new one cuz apparently Matt doesnt know everything there is to know about ridalin.

this is pretty ridiculous. i dont know where to find it, but try and watch it.

jakethebake 06-24-2005 04:55 PM

Re: Tom Cruise on Today Show

Tom Cruise is an ass.

Shajen 06-24-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Tom Cruise is an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, I thought he was the man. Oh, yeah, never mind, that's only on wednesdays.

So, if I have it correct, on mondays he's an ass, tuesdays and wednesdays the man, and then the rest of the week an ass?

Got it.

jakethebake 06-24-2005 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tom Cruise is an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, I thought he was the man. Oh, yeah, never mind, that's only on wednesdays.

So, if I have it correct, on mondays he's an ass, tuesdays and wednesdays the man, and then the rest of the week an ass?

Got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he's pretty much always an ass when I'm polled.

sam h 06-24-2005 04:59 PM

Tom Cruise, MD

[ QUOTE ]
''Matt, Matt, you don't even -- you're glib,'' Cruise responded. ''You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done.''

[/ QUOTE ]

DemonDeac 06-24-2005 05:00 PM

he's boning Holmes. so hes aight in my book.
but on the show he looked coked out. something was up his ass.

big steve???

j/k

Shajen 06-24-2005 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tom Cruise is an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. Now I'm confused. How can I form an opinion without OOT telling me what it is? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

SpearsBritney 06-24-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tom Cruise is an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is so funny about that?

You're a jerk!

YOU'RE A JERK!!!!

jakethebake 06-24-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a jerk!

YOU'RE A JERK!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You feelin' o.k.?

SpearsBritney 06-24-2005 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a jerk!

YOU'RE A JERK!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You feelin' o.k.?

[/ QUOTE ]

[quote form T.C.]What is so funny about that?

You're a jerk!

YOU'RE A JERK!!!![/quote form T.C.]

jakethebake 06-24-2005 05:07 PM

Re: Tom Cruise, MD

[ QUOTE ]
''Matt, Matt, you don't even -- you're glib,'' Cruise responded. ''You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done.''

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course. Clearly being an action star, boning Katie and getting squirted by a phony microhone makes him an expert. Oh wait, I forgot scientology. Nevermind, those people are experts in everything. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jerkass333 06-24-2005 05:08 PM

Here is a transcript I stole from Fark. He's my new favorite celebrity.

jakethebake 06-24-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're a jerk!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this even is? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

SpearsBritney 06-24-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You're a jerk!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now I know you're just fcukin with me.

AngryCola 06-24-2005 05:12 PM

Re: Tom Cruise, MD

[ QUOTE ]
boning Katie

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... well... you believe that?

How silly.

asofel 06-24-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You're a jerk!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now I know you're just fcukin with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, jake wouldn't do that. its not in his nature...

MoreWineII 06-24-2005 05:36 PM

I think his mind is slipping. He's pretty cool when he's crazy though.

oreogod 06-24-2005 05:42 PM

Matt Lauer is the man!!!

Seriously, I thought he handled that situation well. That crap tom cruise was talking about, sounds like something from a Sciencetology pep rally. Dunno...I think ritalin helps people.

DemonDeac 06-24-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That crap tom cruise was talking about, sounds like something from a Sciencetology pep rally.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly what i said.

DOWN WITH THE SCIENTOLOGY CULT. DIE RON HUBBARD!! (although he may already be dead, but i dont think so)

oreogod 06-24-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That crap tom cruise was talking about, sounds like something from a Sciencetology pep rally.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly what i said.

DOWN WITH THE SCIENTOLOGY CULT. DIE RON HUBBARD!! (although he may already be dead, but i dont think so)

[/ QUOTE ]

If dead is cryogenetically frozen, than yeah sure, he's dead.

"He'll be back alright...oh he'll be back. You all shall RUE THE DAY, that HE comes back! Ever last mutha-[censored] one of you ritilian poppers will pay for your psychiatirc sins. " --Tom Cruise

okay, off my soapbox.

DemonDeac 06-24-2005 06:17 PM

cruise didnt really say that, did he?

thats insane

Deftoner 06-24-2005 06:29 PM

Cruise is the man...do your thing pimp.

Uglyowl 06-24-2005 07:51 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8343367

There is a link to a video. As a person who was helped at one time with an anti-depressent, I must say Cruise is an ass. Maybe when he has a real problem to deal with he will change his tune.

PassiveCaller 06-24-2005 09:39 PM

As much as you'd like to attribute this to Tom totally being crack ass he does have a point here and isn't as far off the rocker as many of you guys would believe.

While Adderall, or Ritalin may help, it treats the symptoms of the problem as opposed to the imbalances that create the problem. That is what in essence he is saying.

It's the old Western Medicine vs Eastern Medicine. Some believe you try and find what causes the imbalances to fix the problem.

I'm not a scientologist. While he has a point, he explained it in a rather contentious mannerism that makes people less likely to accept it and not in anyway more likely to understand it.

Sortof a I know it all you don't and that never bodes well for presenting a case.

PassiveCaller 06-24-2005 09:41 PM

Yes it can help people in the right situations but that doesn't make it the best way to tackle the problem, see my other response.

You can play a hand many different ways and still get a good result, but that doesn't mean it was the "best way".

oreogod 06-24-2005 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cruise didnt really say that, did he?

thats insane

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But he probably would. ( I made it up)

wonderwes 06-25-2005 12:21 PM

1 out of every 4 americans get some type of psychiatry help.

jakethebake 06-25-2005 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so depressing i may have to seek psychiatric help.

wacki 06-25-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8343367

There is a link to a video. As a person who was helped at one time with an anti-depressent, I must say Cruise is an ass. Maybe when he has a real problem to deal with he will change his tune.

[/ QUOTE ]

"There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in the human body.

.... There's ways through vitamins, exercise, and various things."

-tom cruise

wow

RicktheRuler 06-25-2005 02:07 PM

Ritalin does help people when prescribed properly. Unfortunately, many doctors pass it out like candy.

I thought Mat Lauer did a good job as well--"Im not prescribing ritalin here Tom".

jakethebake 06-25-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Mat Lauer did a good job as well--"Im not prescribing ritalin here Tom".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. He shoulda squirted him with a gag microphone though.

DemonDeac 06-25-2005 02:16 PM

yea, Lauer was a professional through the whole thing

PassiveCaller 06-25-2005 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point being?

jakethebake 06-25-2005 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point being?

[/ QUOTE ]

A large portion of the general American public is pathetic.
<font color="white"> No. i'm not saying everyone that goes to a psychiatrist is pathetic, just most of them. </font>

PassiveCaller 06-25-2005 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A large portion of the general American public is pathetic.
<font color="white"> No. i'm not saying everyone that goes to a psychiatrist is pathetic, just most of them. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This I won't disagree with.

astroglide 06-25-2005 04:23 PM

scientology does appear to be a load of horseshit, but i too take task with the 'chemical imbalance' asssertions that are bandied about by the psychiatric community (and have become accepted by the general populous).

namely, when people speak of 'chemical imbalances' they refer to somebody being off mentally in some way: depressed, sociopathic, whatever. they declare that they are 'imbalanced', but would generally be unable to declare in what way, or maybe not even define what 'balance' is in actual measurements. it's not as if people are taking drug X which will correct their exact 13% deficiency in dopamine which was determined by objective chemical measurement.

i haven't been assessed for these sorts of problems, nor have i taken any meds along those lines. i know many people that have though, and regardless of the name or prescription it always seems like the result of the drug is to make them numb. if they have anxiety, they become numb to it. ditto depression, ditto violence, etc. and also the rest of life. it doesn't look like hard science is being applied, just script-writing stuff along the lines of, "if you take this the bad symptoms will be mitigated and you'll also have all sorts of emotional and sexual desensitization."

despite my lack of knowledge about them, i do generally see scientology as a cult. but i'm glad that, unlike other more popular things i see as cults like mormonism, there are certain 'challenging' aspects like the anti-med sentiments which are being forced onto the public. whether you agree with it or not, it certainly can't hurt to evaluate why positions are held. as long as it's not going to send people into "it's all my fault!" spirals, i think it would only behoove people have more accountability with regard to their mental condition (even if we're not in complete control).

maryfield48 06-25-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ritalin does help people when prescribed properly. Unfortunately, many doctors pass it out like candy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched the clip with an anti-Cruise disposition. I don't like his work, or his persona. But I think he nailed Lauer with the "glib" comment. Yeah I know, he's a morning TV guy - a milieu in which affability is a more important quality than most traditional journalistic skills. But he knew he was going to ask Tom about the issue - don't you think he had a professional responsibility to arm himself with a better line of argument than "I know people who've been helped by [whatever]"?

I think that if you had come upon the discussion with no prior knowledge of the issue, you'd conclude that Cruise owned Lauer.

jakethebake 06-25-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that if you had come upon the discussion with no prior knowledge of the issue, you'd conclude that Cruise owned Lauer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you're an idiot that completely ignores the complete lack of rationale in Tom's arguments or the fact that all he did was keep saying his opinion over and over w/o any real evidence.

EDIT: Not that I completely disagree with what he was trying to say.

PassiveCaller 06-25-2005 05:30 PM

Excellent post, astro

PassiveCaller 06-25-2005 05:37 PM

The only reason I'm even defending Cruise at all is because I did have prior knowledge and have done the research on Adderall, and Ritalin.

Cruise did an awful job of defending his point and came off contentious and made his point "easy to dismiss". That along with the whole image from the Scientology, and the fact that the Scientology [censored] is mostly a loud of bullshit and weird at best.

I also would argue he didn't really feel the need to present evidence here when talking to a "talk show host" that hadn't done the research and he felt the whole thing was pretty futile.

Do your own research on adderall, ritalin, and other cures to the problem and maybe it'll be enlightening towards medicine and health in general, I implore you.