Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Who the hell IS this guy? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388990)

DRD66 12-01-2005 05:46 AM

Who the hell IS this guy?

Saw this guy a lot for a few months, always at UB .25/.5. Then he seemed to vanish, and I moved to .5/1. A week or so ago I added a .25/.5 table as I worked on multi-tabling, and today I see him again. Just can't figure it out.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8...teryman6lp.jpg

post flop agression=2.53; 19 winning sessions out of 27

I've always wondered about this guy. If it's a statistical fluke, it's a big one. If not, how is he making these numbers work?!? He always seems to be at the looser tables, doesn't do anything obviously dumb. Just plays a TON of hands and wins a lot.

Anyone seen anything like this? Doubt he's a 2+2 with these VPIP/PFR #'s. His name starts with "Y" if any UB players want to check their PT (I'll PM a full name, or post it if a mod says it's OK). I'm not looking for vengence for suckouts, only down ~35bb against him in 550 hands. I just want to know how someone puts up these numbers.

bottomset 12-01-2005 05:49 AM

Re: Who the hell IS this guy?

6max or 10handed

KneeCo 12-01-2005 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doubt he's a 2+2 with these VPIP/PFR #'s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this assumption is a leap.

DRD66 12-01-2005 05:51 AM

all full-ring, never seen him at a table with less than 8 people. Also, RARELY seen at more than 1 table, and never chats.

DRD66 12-01-2005 05:53 AM

If he's here, luv to know it. Seems to go against most pf advice on this forum. And successfully.

mackthefork 12-01-2005 06:47 AM

Not me, but I have a rate similar to that (8 per 100) for 14,000 hands, those games are terrible even compared to 50/1.

Mack

bottomset 12-01-2005 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's here, luv to know it. Seems to go against most pf advice on this forum. And successfully.

[/ QUOTE ]

for 2500hands .. there is a guy that plays 30/60+ that has similar stats and destroys the games, but he's the exception

AlmightyJay 12-01-2005 07:37 AM

Has DERB jumped down to micro limits?

Webster 12-01-2005 08:05 AM

I really don't see that much wrong except for the VPIP. 10BB/100 is not that outlandish at that level and it's very few hands.

12-01-2005 08:11 AM

He plays goot. Notice the steal attempts and blind defense. Thats expert play imo. Maybe he gets a tiny bit carried away but its a lot better than only stealing 20% and folding 70% of your BB.

stuartharris 12-01-2005 08:16 AM

I've probably played a couple of thousand hands against this guy myself. At first, I thought he was very good. He is, but his strategy, I believe, is to take full advantage of people who play too tightly. Play back at him and he often goes away.

checkmate36 12-01-2005 08:34 AM

For being so good you would think that he would be playing higher than .25/.50.

12-01-2005 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For being so good you would think that he would be playing higher than .25/.50.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he just started out? Maybe he is experimenting? I also think its strange though.

car ramrod 12-01-2005 10:09 AM

my brother is just learning the game and his stats are 32/16/2. He is winning a decent amount at .5/1 over 10K hands (something like 1.9BB/100) I am trying to get him to read 2+2 and to tighten up, but so far unsuccessful.

2K hands really can't tell you much.

jaxUp 12-01-2005 10:14 AM

I have had stints of hands where I ran at (-5) to (-7) BB/100 over 2k hands at 5/10. I am going to go ahead and say this sample size is not worth putting much stock in. That being said, I do believe that playing this style of poker could be quite profitable in the right games, especially if single-tabling.

12-01-2005 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my brother is just learning the game and his stats are 32/16/2. He is winning a decent amount at .5/1 over 10K hands (something like 1.9BB/100) I am trying to get him to read 2+2 and to tighten up, but so far unsuccessful.

2K hands really can't tell you much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would love to be able to play 32/16 and win. Maybe he is a natural hand reader.

car ramrod 12-01-2005 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he is a natural hand reader.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

He is a good poker player, as we have both played poker for a long time, but I think he is running goot. I do think that at .50/1 you can be a winning player with his stats.

Koss 12-01-2005 12:13 PM

My guess is he's a good postflop player who plays a little too loose and has been running well over 2500 hands. Nothing too spectacular there.

SoftcoreRevolt 12-01-2005 12:13 PM

The tables he plays at, are they extremely passive as well as extremely loose? His VPIP makes it look like he's playing a lot of hands people here normally play in LP in EP, counting on the fact the hand will be multi way, and that there will be no raise.

The PFR seems too aggro for even the Ed Miller "raise to punish weak limpers" although maybe he's doing it in EP too and getting a lot of cold callers.

TomBrooks 12-01-2005 12:25 PM

I played Party 5/1 full at 30/10 and beat it for around 4BB/100 over 25k. My blind steals are only were only 22% though, his are 49%. That would probably account for his higher pfr right there.

The biggest difference between me and him I think is our post flop aggression. Mine was only 1.43. I think it was a little on the low side because I couldn't push a lot of the hands I was playing very hard. It seems unusual to me that he could. I'm sure the deck is hitting him hard and he's running good over this span also.

bozlax 12-01-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a statistical fluke, it's a big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be too harsh, but the only "statistical fluke" I see is that this thread has survived for 7 hours without being locked. Seriously, sample size, yada yada.

[ QUOTE ]
If not, how is he making these numbers work?!? He always seems to be at the looser tables, doesn't do anything obviously dumb. Just plays a TON of hands and wins a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a winning combo to me. Probably just one-tables, and pays attention. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not looking for vengence for suckouts, only down ~35bb against him in 550 hands. I just want to know how someone puts up these numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you're not. Nice "bad streak" post.

Entity 12-01-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see that much wrong except for the VPIP. 10BB/100 is not that outlandish at that level and it's very few hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think saying that 10bb/100 at .5/1 isn't outlandish is a pretty outlandish statement.

Aaron W. 12-01-2005 12:39 PM

LAGs have a better chance of staying in the green longer than they should (compared to LPPs) because their variance is so much higher.

12-01-2005 04:25 PM

My stats for .25/50

5k hands.
30% VPIP
9.5% PFR
2 AF

12.47BB/100
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

stuartharris 12-01-2005 08:02 PM

"Sounds like a winning combo to me. Probably just one-tables, and pays attention."

At the risk of keeping a thread going that you want killed, I have to report that this player (starts with Y, contains A and H) always three tables, never chats, and never even responds to others' chat. I think he IS paying as much attention as one can under such circumstances, but he's profiting from players who are loose preflop and then fold to his postflop aggression. As I said previously in this thread, he'll generally give it up if you play back at him.

12-01-2005 08:28 PM

Those about look like my stats for .50/1.00 six max, for about the same sample size. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm just waiting for the other end of variance to kick in. Think I should tighten up??

Steve

12-01-2005 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Sounds like a winning combo to me. Probably just one-tables, and pays attention."

At the risk of keeping a thread going that you want killed, I have to report that this player (starts with Y, contains A and H) always three tables, never chats, and never even responds to others' chat. I think he IS paying as much attention as one can under such circumstances, but he's profiting from players who are loose preflop and then fold to his postflop aggression. As I said previously in this thread, he'll generally give it up if you play back at him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm 99% sure I know who you're talking about. In my database, he's -0.60 BB/100 through 614 hands. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

DRD66 12-01-2005 10:06 PM

That's the guy. So the #'s I have are possible. And you're right, he CAN be bullied. He must spend a lot of time on table selection and take great notes. Plays exceptionally well OOP, and steals like a master. Wonder if he could pull it off at a higher level?

Thanks for all the info. Guess this guy got under my skin 'cause he's got my leaks plugged. My VPIP is high (not near 30, though), but my postflop play isn't good enuf to make up for it. My AG is a little low, too, all streets. Getting better at steals, but will probably never PFR 19%. Can't beat him, can't join him. Well, I've found some stuff to work on in my game, time to get off my butt and do it.

checkmate36 12-02-2005 06:45 PM

I haven't been around 2+2 for very long but I already know bozlax's posts are the ones to read.

VoraciousReader 12-02-2005 06:51 PM

I am locking this thread. This is essentially a stat discussion, and a low-content one at that. Anyone with any concerns, or who would like to reopen this discussion, please PM me.
-Racious