Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Saitek Eclipse (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=236304)

AngryCola 04-20-2005 04:17 PM

Saitek Eclipse

(cross-posted in OOT)

It had been an extremely long time since I last upgraded my keyboard, but it was well worth the wait.

I wanted a high quality standard keyboard with a small footprint.
Let me tell you, good standard keyboards are becoming hard to find. Everyone wants to sell me these media keybaords which have a whole mess of extra buttons that I'll never use.
Of course these keyboards are always larger than standard, too.

How else would they make room for all the buttons I'll never use?!? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

So, after a long search, I found the Saitek Eclipse. It's very new and is based off Saitek's "Gamer's Keyboard".
I ordered it through Amazon (already sold out) the first day it was listed, and it just came today. I'm very impressed. The keys are all respnsive and quiet, and it actually leaves a smaller footprint than my old standard keyboard. It does have 3 media keys above the number pad, but they are only for volume control, and are not at all in the way.

http://www.moddershq.net/siteMedia/r.../eclipse17.JPG
http://www.moddershq.net/siteMedia/r.../eclipse18.JPG
http://www.moddershq.net/siteMedia/r.../eclipse19.JPG

Ah, did I fail to mention the backlit keys and such?
Well, that's not the main reason I wanted this keyboard, but it sure does give it a sweet look.
The lighting can be toggled between high, low, and off.

Also, it comes with an adjustable wrist rest that can easily be removed entirely.

If you are in the market for a new keyboard, I highly recommend the Eclipse. I found it for $39.99 on Amazon. It's listed at $59.99 retail.

I Play 2 Ski 04-20-2005 04:32 PM

Re: Saitek Eclipse

schweet. I want one

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 04:49 PM

very nice.

am ordering now if they have it wireless

AngryCola 04-20-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Granny.

They do not make a wireless version.
The battery consumption for the lights would probably be too high. They do have an 'executive' version of this keyboard with the same layout and no lights, but I believe it's wired too.

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 04:59 PM

nice mousepad to go with your keyboard
(image clickable)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/prod.../flexiglow.jpg

if anyone knows where i can find an illuminated wireLESS keyboard, pls let me know

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 05:02 PM

The battery consumption for the lights would probably be too high

ahhh

fwiw, i have a dell/logitech wireless keyboard that i have never changed the batteries on (2 years+)
but it does not have a single light. not even a power indicator so that's probably why

AngryCola 04-20-2005 05:07 PM

Yeah, I've seen those, but I recently invested in a super slick non-lit mousepad. I can't see myself dropping another $15-$20 on one anytime soon.

But my new mouse (when it comes out), will match perfectly.

https://www.razerzone.com/store/secu...mapreorder.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for an illuminated wireless board, but I don't recall seeing one. In fact, the Eclipse is one of the very few successful attempts at backlit keys.

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 05:14 PM

I'll keep an eye out for an illuminated wireless board, but I can't recall seeing one.

please do. i have a real utility purpose for it (though it IS cool looking). i slither around alot at night and would disturb the family less with a lit keyboard

In fact, the Eclipse is one of the very few successful attempts at backlit keys.

this one is much more money. how come? is it because every key has own lite or something?

clickable

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/prod...k_keyboard.jpg

Gator 04-20-2005 05:15 PM

Gyration Mouse

Along the same lines, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Gyration Mouse. I have visions of sitting in my jacuzzi holding the mouse and playing online.
I sometimes do this with the laptop resting on my knees. Not very safe - for the laptop or me!
Anyway, gyration feedback would be appreciated.

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 05:20 PM

actually, screw this one. no num pad

MowrMowr 04-20-2005 05:36 PM

I've been looking at one of these for awhile, so I can ditch the keyboard altogether when playing poker (i.e. right hand on mouse, left hand on numpad):

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...mp;dcaid=15890

Does anyone have one or one similar? Do you like it?

For anyone interested, you can add a wireless mouse which works on the same receiver for just a few bucks more. Search buy.com for Part #CDX5N4

Richter 04-20-2005 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

you play poker with a wireless keyboard?!? ur nuts

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

you play poker with a wireless keyboard?!? ur nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i do. why do you say this? because if it fails?

i have a wireless mouse too. however, i also have a wired keyboard and wired mouse within reach and could get them hooked up quickly. i only play one table, and have switched from dsl to dial up in an emergency so i never feared the wireless stuff.

of course, it will now happen to me at next important tourney.

Blarg 04-20-2005 06:39 PM

I don't like the small enter key, but I love the backlighting! That's really nice.

timprov 04-20-2005 06:43 PM

Do they make it in Dvorak?

AngryCola 04-20-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the small enter key, but I love the backlighting! That's really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The enter key is standard.

Some keyboards have oversized enter keys, though.

Freakin 04-20-2005 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been looking at one of these for awhile, so I can ditch the keyboard altogether when playing poker (i.e. right hand on mouse, left hand on numpad):

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...mp;dcaid=15890

Does anyone have one or one similar? Do you like it?

For anyone interested, you can add a wireless mouse which works on the same receiver for just a few bucks more. Search buy.com for Part #CDX5N4

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a wireless numpad/mouse combo for like $40 from bestbuy. I like it for wireless mouseless poker.

Freakin

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 07:51 PM

I bought a wireless numpad/mouse combo

this is not same unit, right? i just searched and see they are seperate.

i would LOVE to find a wireless mouse that is also a num pad. anyone ever hear of such a beast?

Cubswin 04-20-2005 09:17 PM

Whats the purpose of a keyboard that lights up??? dont tell me you guys cant find the right keys in the dark.... looks like its time for mavis beacon... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

cubs

GrannyMae 04-20-2005 09:18 PM

help see the keys better, can use in low/no light.

pretty too

Blarg 04-20-2005 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The enter key is standard.

Some keyboards have oversized enter keys, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That smallish enter key has become standard since they started adding on more and more crap buttons onto keyboards. A big fat L-shaped enter key was made popular by IBM on its typewriters and was easy to find on keyboards until a few years ago. Most typists I've talked to like it a lot better. It's getting more and more aggravating trying to find it, though.

What's even more aggravating is when they make the shift keys the same size as regular keys. That's brutal.

Blarg 04-20-2005 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the purpose of a keyboard that lights up??? dont tell me you guys cant find the right keys in the dark.... looks like its time for mavis beacon... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely handy for games.

AngryCola 04-20-2005 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi!

Did you read my post?
I already mentioned the lights were just a bonus.

I type at ~60 WPM

KaiShin 04-20-2005 11:30 PM

I'd love it if they made it in a split natural format, and included a number pad. As it is, its kinda meh.

smoore 04-20-2005 11:33 PM

These are probably too geeky for poker players but I've used them for years, I love them. No keypad for granny tho. The "professional" ones are the only keyboards I've found that feel remotely close to a Sun type4 keyboard. The lite ones are still quality but feel more like a good laptop keyboard. The control key is in the correct place so they tend to drive pc users nuts.

Happy Hacking Keyboards

AngryCola 04-20-2005 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love it if they made it in a split natural format, and included a number pad. As it is, its kinda meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then you would just need it to be natural, because it has a number pad.

Also, the split natural format is only available in non-standard POS keyboards most of the time.

I can see how it would be 'meh' to someone who likes those kinds of keyboards, but I'll take a 'meh' standard keyboard with no excess any day.

KaiShin 04-20-2005 11:37 PM

Haha, yeah I was looking at the green one posted farther down for some reason. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I find natural keyboards are getting rarer these days. I guess people didn't really like them, but once you get used to one I find it a lot easier to type for longer, and I actually type faster with one now than I did with a standard KB.

For gaming I only use the left side of the keyboard anyway, so it doesn't interfere with anything that way.

Anyone seen that modular "gamer" keyboard? I forget who makes it offhand.

I agree the Saitek one looks nice, and the price is right.

x2ski 04-21-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's time... although I own it, I never learned it. Gotta see the keys man!

Just call me indexfingertyper boy