Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Movies to watch with your kids (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393285)

HoldingFolding 12-07-2005 08:01 AM

Movies to watch with your kids

I'm talking here about movies that aren't specifically for children. Examples: 'Castaway' was a disaster because of the blood & the tooth scene, but 'Four Weddings & a Funeral' was a great success, though obviously they didn't understand it all, in conversation we often refer to elements of it (i.e. deafness, weddings, love etc.). I have 2 girls aged 6 & 7. Anything spring to mind?

theweatherman 12-07-2005 08:06 AM

Re: Movies to watch with your kids

Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects"

I figure, they are going to be desensitized to violence anyways, why not start em out early!

diebitter 12-07-2005 09:20 AM

Well, my default for being great for everyone tend to be kid ones, but I'd suggest:

George of the Jungle
Emperor's New Groove
Iron Giant
James Bonds
King Kong (the original)

A TV show that is strictly adult in script that my kids seem to love despite this is The Prisoner!

12-07-2005 09:24 AM

Shrek.

How has no one said Shrek.

Also Ghostbusters the original is great and actually funny as an adult, and lots of cool stuff to see as a kid.

gmrankin 12-07-2005 09:25 AM

i know my 3 year old loves Top Gun... mostly for the music and the planes... can't really think of anouther. I think i am going to kill my self next time i see or hear marry poppins

DukeSucks 12-07-2005 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also Ghostbusters the original is great and actually funny as an adult, and lots of cool stuff to see as a kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also any other movie that you liked as a kid that you haven't seen in a while. It's nostalgic for you and they seem to like it.
My daughter likes the Goonies and Back to the Future

12-07-2005 09:51 AM

I love watching movies that I used to enjoy as a kid, and seeing whether or not they're as good now, with all the jokes and dialogue you didnt get as a kid.

KaneKungFu123 12-07-2005 09:58 AM

Funny Farm
national Lampoon Movies

i think there were a bunch of good PG movies in the 70's/80's

Mars357 12-07-2005 09:59 AM

The Sand Lot
and when your kids get a little older
Stand By Me

KaneKungFu123 12-07-2005 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Sand Lot
and when your kids get a little older
Stand By Me

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget about Chris Farely.

CIncyHR 12-07-2005 10:16 AM

when I was a kid, The Dark crystal was AWESOME. I actually bought it on DVD last eyar, and its still sweet. Great fantasy.

Though, Devil's Rejects wasnt a bad suggestion....

Vavavoom 12-07-2005 10:17 AM

My Girl

12-07-2005 12:27 PM

spongebob squarepants...although utah and i laughed more than anyone else in the theater

diebitter 12-07-2005 12:27 PM

I second this. Spongebob was funny, especially when they ride the Hoff.

HoldingFolding 12-07-2005 11:03 PM

OK, thanks for all the replies, but they're not really what I had in mind. Spongebob Squarepants, Shrek, The Emperor's New Groove etc are all made for kids (although as the cliche goes - adults enjoy them too). What I'm after is movies made for adults, but which children would watch. Once again '4 Weddings...' was great because it could be referenced in later conversations & introduced them to a number of adult concepts that were unknown to them (plus it had Mr. Bean [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). Even though they didn't sit all the way through 'Castaway' they could relate to ideas like loneliness & survival, and it cropped up a number of times when we were on a vacation on a very similar looking beach on Phuket.

gamblore99 12-07-2005 11:42 PM

alladin

HoldingFolding 12-07-2005 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, thanks for all the replies, but they're not really what I had in mind. Spongebob Squarepants, Shrek, The Emperor's New Groove etc are all made for kids (although as the cliche goes - adults enjoy them too). What I'm after is movies made for adults, but which children would watch. Once again '4 Weddings...' was great because it could be referenced in later conversations & introduced them to a number of adult concepts that were unknown to them (plus it had Mr. Bean ). Even though they didn't sit all the way through 'Castaway' they could relate to ideas like loneliness & survival, and it cropped up a number of times when we were on a vacation on a very similar looking beach on Phuket.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
alladin

[/ QUOTE ]

My head is beginning to ache. And I believe it is Aladdin.

Blarg 12-07-2005 11:57 PM

Two little girls?

Spirited Away is your #1 choice. A little girl is the main character. And it's a truly great movie.
All the other Miyazaki stuff.
Old Yeller.
Beauty and the Beast -- the original one in the 30s. Very magical and beautiful. I'm not sure if you can get it with voice-over instead of subtitles, though.
The Red Balloon.
King Kong
The Iron Giant
The Seven Voyages of Sinbad(I think that's the name -- old stop-motion Ray Harryhausen special effects, very fun)
Robin Hood, the original one
Frankenstein(original one, it's not scary, Franky is pretty lovable really)

All this stuff is decent to great for adults too.

gumpzilla 12-08-2005 12:03 AM

Babe is solid.

Just about any Pixar movie. I particularly recommend the first Toy Story and Monsters, Inc.

Here's yet another vote for Iron Giant.

Skipbidder 12-08-2005 12:25 AM

I had a very different experience. When I re-watched the Dark Crystal, I was very disappointed by the weak story. Blame CGI that the movie no longer looks "cool".

lighterjobs 12-08-2005 12:30 AM

caddyshack.

edit- forgot about the nude scene.

rudedog78 12-08-2005 12:34 AM

The Princess Bride is a good movie to watch with kids/family... IMDB

Blarg 12-08-2005 12:35 AM

I don't mind old effects. I don't believe in ghosts, but I suspend disbelief when I see a horror flick. You gotta kinda go with the flow on these things.

This reminds me of a great one, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, with Kirk Douglas. The special effects aren't a big wow by today's standards, but the movie is still a really fun movie. It doesn't bug me that CGI has made everything look so much better.

Heck, I think I like the old Ray Harryhausen flicks better now than I did when people were still really wowed by them.

12-08-2005 02:44 AM

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

kids love swears

theweatherman 12-08-2005 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my default for being great for everyone tend to be kid ones, but I'd suggest:

George of the Jungle
Emperor's New Groove
Iron Giant
James Bonds
King Kong (the original)

A TV show that is strictly adult in script that my kids seem to love despite this is The Prisoner!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Prisioner is [censored] awesome.

12-08-2005 02:49 AM

actually I dont think shrek is a kids movie at all.

but then again Im in school for comp animation so I like that stuff.

I still stand by damn near any movie made by that "comedy pack"... murray, chevy, akroyd... think old snl with some others, and boom,

hows that for a slice of fried gold.

tolbiny 12-08-2005 02:59 AM

Bill murry movies like "groundhog day" are good. I'm not to sure how the suicide scenes would fly with 6-7 year olds, otherwise its good for all ages. The animated version of Watership down is very good, not at all a children's movie that adults like, but also not entirely an adult movie kids can watch. If you read to your kids its a great book (though it doesn't have any female chars for the first 75%, not sure how little girls react to that, my experience has more to do with rope and tape than books and movies).

Blarg 12-08-2005 03:35 AM

I think all these teen sex comedies aren't really the greatest for 6 and 7 year old girls.

KneeCo 12-08-2005 03:57 AM

I look foward to sharing Hayao Miyazaki movies with my kids should I ever have any, especially "My Neighbor Totoro" when they are very young.

HoldingFolding 12-08-2005 04:12 AM

Miyazaki's stuff is great. I'm trying to bring my daughter's up to be bilingual (Japanese & English), so they watch the Japanese version. That's also another reason I'm interested in movies for adults with a lot of conversation/humour rather than action.

blendedsuit 12-08-2005 05:00 AM

Here are some great movies

give me a break guys, a lot of your suggestions are jokes.

The Sound of Music
The Wizard of Oz
The Never Ending Story
cool runnings
Crocodile Dundie

Blarg 12-08-2005 06:11 AM

Have you tried any of Kurosawa's samurai movies? They've got lots of character development, of course they've got that Japanese thing going, and they have some action too. Plus they're legit classics, and good enough to watch over and over again. They're not inappropriate for kids, either, I don't think. There's lots of killing of people, but it's not done in a gory way, so no upsetting the kids or exposing them to too harsh stuff worries there.

On the Chinese front, I would have happily eaten up the Once Upon a Time in China series(3 flicks) as a kid. With Jet Li, who I don't even care for all that much, but he's great in these movies. I'm an especially big fan of the second one. It's an enjoyable character, a real do-gooder patriot.

I guess most everything Jackie Chan has ever done is good for kids, too. Though most of the films aren't that great unless you like Chan or just kung fu flicks. The Once Upon a Time in China films stand up a little better just as films.

diebitter 12-08-2005 06:13 AM

Re: Here are some great movies

Last Dragon

and not movies, but any nature documentaries by the BBC (Blue Planet, Life on Earth, Walking with Dinosaurs)

MrMon 12-08-2005 06:18 AM

Six to seven year old girls LOVE The Sound Of Music.

Also find the 1993 version of The Secret Garden.

Some girls will like the Star Wars movies, some will not.

E.T.

Bend It Like Beckham works well.

daveymck 12-08-2005 06:32 AM

My daughter is at that age, not sure about watching all the films together but films she likes and has in her room at the moment and watches often are

Ghostbusters (Got the I and II box set)
Matilda (Roahl Dahl story)
Princess Diaries
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Johnny English (Rowan Atkinson (mr Bean) and more importantly Natalie Imbrulia looking totally gorgeous throughout)
Red Dwarf (Uk Series)
Dr Dolittle (Eddie Murphy one)
Original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

She will watch other stuff with us on a night when she keeps getting up but nothing particulary comes to mind (she quite likes the bits of Lost she has seen). Four Wedding though seems a bit too much for me too many [censored] in it

tonypaladino 12-08-2005 06:42 AM

Older woody allen movies

HoldingFolding 12-08-2005 08:57 AM

OK. Good stuff. Cool Runnings & Bend it like Beckham definitely fit the bill. Plenty to talk about, minimal violence.