Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Poll: Best Beer Country? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=162325)

Skjonne 12-15-2004 12:45 PM

Poll: Best Beer Country?

Really, I just want to make my first poll. I'm bored while working late 'cause the in-laws arrived today

But feel free to discuss

ThaSaltCracka 12-15-2004 12:49 PM

Re: Poll: Best Beer Country?

Clearly the U.S.

Patrick del Poker Grande 12-15-2004 12:52 PM

The only beer I'll drink without feeling like I've settled for whatever crap somebody has comes from England or Ireland.

The once and future king 12-15-2004 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your funniest post ever.

ThaSaltCracka 12-15-2004 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your funniest post ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I felt like saying it. To be honest with you, I really like a lot of beer, country is irrelevant. Also, I stand corrected on Newcastle. I tried it a couple weeks ago, pretty good.

Actually, I will stand by the U.S., but thats just because my favorite beers are all made within a 200 mile radius of me.

Emmitt2222 12-15-2004 01:49 PM

Definitly Germany, most especially Oktober brau and Christmas brau, just wish I could take them home with me but they arent bottled. Belgium, Czech and Ireland beer are all close seconds. Didnt find anything special in England. The one country I liked the least with beer was Spain, their stuff sucked.

daryn 12-15-2004 01:50 PM

i have a feeling like it should be germany or czech, but i don't have enough experience to make the call.

Iceman 12-15-2004 01:54 PM

Anyone who answered anything other than Belgium doesn't know Belgian beers.

Leo99 12-15-2004 01:58 PM

Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is. Ireland has two good beers. England has a ton of good beers: Harvey's, Young's, Bass, Newcastle.... Germany makes a ton of helles, a few alts and even fewer dunkels. Viennese or Marzen Octoberfest style is good but not enough variety in Germany and no ales. US has the most variety and some of the best ales. Stoudt's, Brooklyn, Victory, Sirrea Nevada, Liberty, Sam Adams and a whole lot more. US #1, England #2.

J.R. 12-15-2004 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but stella artois is arguably equally underrated, at least given what I understand is the consensus concerning the rating of mass produced beers. And it is nowhere near the best belgian beer.

Your failure to even mention Belgium is the silliest thing about your post.

chabibi 12-15-2004 02:12 PM

the fact that the US is on the list and canada isnt is a disgrace. american beer isnt even beer its just brownish water with a little carbonation. even american brands that are brewed in canada are better than there american counterparts

ThaSaltCracka 12-15-2004 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that the US is on the list and canada isnt is a disgrace. american beer isnt even beer its just brownish water with a little carbonation. even american brands that are brewed in canada are better than there american counterparts

[/ QUOTE ]stfu.

Q8offsuit 12-15-2004 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Chimay Grande Reserve and then everything else.

SomethingClever 12-15-2004 02:17 PM

Portland, Oregon has more breweries than any other city in the world, including any city in Germany.

So the answer is clearly Portland, Oregon.

PhatTBoll 12-15-2004 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canada makes some good beers, but this post is, in a word, ignorant. Don't judge all American beers by bud light and coors.

SomethingClever 12-15-2004 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Belgian beers are my favorite, too. The answer's still Portland.

Boris 12-15-2004 02:20 PM

Belgium I think is the best for dark, heavy type beers. The Chech Republic is the best for lagers.

goofball 12-15-2004 02:26 PM

i'll have to go with portland too.

but belgian beers are the best.

and it's not close.

Leo99 12-15-2004 02:26 PM

I have a personal bias against Belgians. I don't like fermentation flavors and the Belgians are big on using the yeast to add the banana and clove flavors. The Trappist ales are certainly strong and flavorful. Stella Artois doesan't count as a Belgian in my mind. It's just an American lager type of beer made a little heavier for the Belgian market. Canadaian beers are the same style as American light lager. Again, a touch heavier for the Canadian market but certainly nothing remarkable. Le Fin du Mond from Canada is certainly a great Belgian style beer.

Patrick del Poker Grande 12-15-2004 02:50 PM

n/m

beerbandit 12-15-2004 03:04 PM

i do not drink any of that fancy [censored], so i voted us -- i have had a few sifferent canadian beers and they were pretty good

cheers

jakethebake 12-15-2004 03:09 PM

I voted U.S. just because my favorite is Shiner Bock. But the U.S. has the worst too (Miller Lite, Coors Light, Budweiser). After Shiner Bock I'd probably say Guinness though. Still, lotta good American microbrews that are better (IMO) than a lot of foreign beers people really like. I kinda think people just like the sound of saying, "American beer is pisswater. I only drink (fill in your favorite European country here) beer.

Oh yea, Orion from Okinawa is good too.

Skjonne 12-15-2004 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your funniest post ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the US do have an extremely large amount of micro breweries. 1,600 was the last number I heard. So the answer could easily be The US. I don't think a lot of the good US beers reach Europe though. Anchor and Brooklyn beeing exceptions

Skjonne 12-15-2004 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one country I liked the least with beer was Spain, their stuff sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I left out Spain for a reason

San Miguel
SOL
AK Damm
Yuk

Skjonne 12-15-2004 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. As Leo99 suggests belgian breweries do go heavy on the yeast. At lot of people dislikes that. Actually I claim you have to practice to get to like belgian beers. But it's worth the effort!

Skjonne 12-15-2004 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beg to differ. It's not as hoppy as other czexh lagers but it's certainly not as anonymous as the big SIL's (Standard International Lager) like Carlsberg, Bud, Heinecken, Carling's...............

Skjonne 12-15-2004 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that the US is on the list and canada isnt is a disgrace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mate. Maybe I'm too unfamilar with canadian beers. About the only ones making it to Denmark are Labott (SIL) but then about half a year we got the series from Unibroue. Know that brewery? They make fantastic belgian style beer. Can't remember all the names but Trois Pistoles is a great Brune type and Raftman is an amber ale made on whisky malt

[ QUOTE ]
american beer isnt even beer its just brownish water with a little carbonation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you know as little of american beers as I do of canadian [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Skjonne 12-15-2004 06:13 PM

No votes for Scotland?

Really?

Benal 12-15-2004 06:14 PM

mmmmmmmmm beer

buffett 12-15-2004 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I left out Spain for a reason
San Miguel

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually San Miguel is from the Philippines, but it's still a crappy beer.

My answer, though, is Belgium AND England. The best beer drink is half a glass of Lindeman's Framboise Lambic with Young's Double Chocolate Stout poured on top of it. Some people call it a Chocolate Truffle, some a Chocolate Covered Raspberry. I call it heaven.
-web

SomethingClever 12-15-2004 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people call it a Chocolate Truffle, some a Chocolate Covered Raspberry. I call it heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blech! I call it gay! [no offense; welcome to 2+2! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]]

My favorite beers:

Alaskan Amber
Belgian Trippel-style Ale (from any pretty much any brewery)
Guinness
Fat Tire
Newcastle
Mac & Jack's African Amber

I could go on and on.....

Skjonne 12-15-2004 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually San Miguel is from the Philippines

[/ QUOTE ]

Not This one. But you're right, there is a San Miguel Brewery in the Phillippines too. Never seen any beers from them in Europe though. You're in the US, right?

[ QUOTE ]
My answer, though, is Belgium AND England. The best beer drink is half a glass of Lindeman's Framboise Lambic with Young's Double Chocolate Stout poured on top of it. Some people call it a Chocolate Truffle, some a Chocolate Covered Raspberry. I call it heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. You're kidding of course? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

JPinAZ 12-15-2004 07:44 PM

It's kind of hard to compare beers in the US to beers in England, Germany, Belgium, etc. You'd really have to compare the US to Europe. England has the bitters & stouts, Germany has the lagers, Belgium has the trappists, etc. Here in the US we make 'em all. And for an excellent Belgium style grand cru, go hunt down a bottle of Avery Brewing Beast. Be warned, at 18+%/vol it's not to be trifled with.

Diplomat 12-15-2004 08:33 PM

What would make the list, Tennants?

-Diplomat

BadBoyBenny 12-15-2004 08:36 PM

Best Belgian you ever had?

For me it is LaTrappe Quad, they don't make it any more, I think the LaTrappe monastery sold their brand to a larger brewery a few yeras ago, but this was phenomenal.

Diplomat 12-15-2004 08:38 PM

Five years ago I'd have said Canada's Micro-brewed beer beats just about anything in the States, but now it's pretty close, since a lot of the large brewing companies bought the micro-brews up here. Major brand to major brand though, I put Canada -slightly- ahead of the US. Most UK beers destroy all of N.A. though. The best beer I've ever had would have to be John Smith's Extra Smooth...from Newcastle, I believe.

-Diplomat

ethan 12-15-2004 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging from the poll results, lots of people fit the above description. Their loss, because Belgian's the answer and it's not close.

Richard Tanner 12-15-2004 08:52 PM

Been to Europe, answer (of course it varies on personal taste) is Germany, end of debate. As a bonus it's inbetween 15-20% alcohol, that'll get you blitzed. Prima!

Cody

cornell2005 12-15-2004 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but stella artois is arguably equally underrated, at least given what I understand is the consensus concerning the rating of mass produced beers. And it is nowhere near the best belgian beer.

Your failure to even mention Belgium is the silliest thing about your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

i HATE stella. i would vote for germany or belgium.

ThaSaltCracka 12-15-2004 08:57 PM

Lets be honest, all the major beers in CA taste an awful lot like all the popular beers in the U.S.

None of them are really anything to write home about, but none really suck either. Their all average tasting, which is why they appeal to so many people.