Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What is Wrong with the Yankees? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=80591)

ChristinaB 04-17-2004 06:31 PM

What is Wrong with the Yankees?

How can they keep losing to those awful Red Sox?

Aceshigh7 04-17-2004 06:42 PM

Re: What is Wrong with the Yankees?

They are missing Pettite and Clemens. None of the starters they have now have the heart and tenacity those two guys have.

Michael Davis 04-17-2004 11:18 PM

Heart and tenacity are highly overrated in professional sports.

-Michael

craig r 04-18-2004 04:33 AM

Well, first off the red sox are not awful. second, these two teams are very evenly matched this season (not in every area, but all around). If these two teams faced each other 100 times this year, it could easily be split 50/50. add to the fact that the yankees bats have not been hitting very well all season and that could help them lose to bos. i think once there bats come to life they are going to start crushing teams (especially since there pitching is not horrible). But, until that happens, let the linesmakers put up lines of -280 and we should just keep betting them dogs.

craig

The Dude 04-18-2004 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with the Yankees?

[/ QUOTE ]
They are the personification of all that is evil and bad in this world.

[ QUOTE ]
How can they keep losing to those awful Red Sox?

[/ QUOTE ]
God's will.

jdl22 04-18-2004 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are the personification of all that is evil and bad in this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto for the Lakers and Real Madrid.

Kurn, son of Mogh 04-18-2004 09:49 AM

Having been a Sox fan for over 30 years, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times the Sox have dominated the Yankees in April & May. As we in New England have learned from history, it doesn't matter who wins these games. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

ChristinaB 04-18-2004 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having been a Sox fan for over 30 years, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times the Sox have dominated the Yankees in April & May. As we in New England have learned from history, it doesn't matter who wins these games. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am glad you guys are already preparing yourselves for defeat in the pennant race this year. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Kurn, son of Mogh 04-18-2004 12:31 PM

I am glad you guys are already preparing yourselves for defeat in the pennant race this year.

Time will tell, and today is indeed a good day to die.

andyfox 04-18-2004 01:34 PM

The team is hitting.206. Pettitte and Clemens did very little hitting.

The team will hit. They have a line-up that will produce a lot of runs.

More to the point, Pettitte, Clemens, and Wells won 52 games last year. That's a lot of games to make up. Brown has thus far been terrific, Vasquez has pitched only two game, one very good, one pretty bad. Mussina has been terrible, and really, didn't pitch too well last year either. It's not impossible that his days as a quality starter are over. If that is indeed the case, the Yankees won't be able to compete with the Red Sox with their current starting rotation, no matter how many runs they score.

It's not time for the Yankees to panic. If they scratch out a win today, they'll be 6-6 with a team batting average that is last in the majors. If they can go 6-6 during such a stretch, they should be OK in the long run.

But, as a Yankee fan, I still think their longtime strength, which has been their starting pitching, might be suspect this year.

andyfox 04-18-2004 05:31 PM

Yanks Win Sunday

And they have Brown pitching against Arroyo tomorrow, so, more than likely, they'll end up splitting the series.

Still, another poor starting pitching performance for the Yanks. Right now, it looks like their achilles heel. One can overcome mediocre hitting or fielding, or even middle relief, but not starting pitching.

daryn 04-19-2004 05:31 PM

Re: Yanks Win Sunday

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
And they have Brown pitching against Arroyo tomorrow, so, more than likely, they'll end up splitting the series.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The Dude 04-19-2004 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, as a Yankee fan...

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish you would have put this line at the beginning of your post, that way I could have discounted its validity withougt having had to read it! I wasted 10 seconds of my life because a damn Yankee fan doesn't know what to include in his introduction! 10 seconds I'll never get back... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

The Dude 04-19-2004 06:46 PM

BTW, jdl22, I share your sentiments about the Lakers - although not nearly on the same level as the Yankees. Pretty much I just hate Shaq.

Six_of_One 04-19-2004 06:57 PM

Where does this hatred of the Lakers come from? I mean, it's not like they can buy players that other teams can't afford, like the Yankees can.

The Dude 04-19-2004 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where does this hatred of the Lakers come from? I mean, it's not like they can buy players that other teams can't afford, like the Yankees can.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true. The Lakers aren't schoolyard bullies (the type that carry guns, that is) like the Yankees. I used to like the Lakers until they got Shaq. My strong distaste for the Lakers is due to the fact that I hate Shaq and Malone. (I never liked Gary Payton or Phil Jackson, either.)

All that said, the Lakers are several notches below the Yankees on the evil scale. (The Oakland Raiders are somewhere in between.)

jdl22 04-19-2004 09:39 PM

I hate the Lakers because I'm a Portland fan and I'm tired of getting (I'll censor myself here)ed by them nearly every year. I also hate that I can't watch a basketball game without hearing Walton go on and on about Shaq making it all too obvious that they are lovers. Not joking here, I was once watching a Dallas game against Portland. They were discussing the versatility of Dirk Nowitsky (sp?) and Bill Walton says "He's right up there with the most versatile players today like Kevin Garnett and Shaq." WTF is that! Shaq is perhaps the least versatile players in the history of the league.

As for the un asked about Real Madrid I used to like them, a friend from High School was a foreign exchange student from Madrid. Real Madrid are actually far worse than even the Yankees for buying players that others can't afford. At one point they broke the transfer record three consecutive years. Last year they bought the worlds most famous player. Every year there is huge debate over which superstar will be playing for them. It's disgusting. As a fan of Sevilla, a relatively small Spanish team, I can't with a clear conscience cheer for Real even in the Champions League.

andyfox 04-20-2004 12:01 AM

Re: Yanks Win Sunday

Which is, of course, why I don't bet on sports. Used to be a couple of heavy bettors would come ask me what I thought, and then go the opposite way. With good results.

I still think the Yankees have rotation problems. Brown is still a stud, even though he was just fair today, but beyond that, they look shaky.

andyfox 04-20-2004 12:03 AM

I don't think I've hidden my Yankee fandom on this forum.

Born in New York in 1953, I became baseball conscious in 1960. The Dodgers and Giants had left, the Mets weren't yet born, and the Yankees had Mickey.

Case closed. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

andyfox 04-20-2004 12:13 AM

Maybe he meant "valuable," instead of "versatile."

Thorw it down, big man, throw it down.

Jim Kuhn 04-20-2004 12:15 AM

Andy,

You are excused. You have a valid excuse for being a Yankee fan! Just like I was born to redneck parents!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

jdl22 04-20-2004 01:38 AM

Maybe he meant valuable but that sure as hell is not what he said. In fact, after he made that comment he was called out by one of the other announcers and proceeded to argue that Shaq has skills other than shoving his ass into his defender and dunking.

If any team brought in a sumo wrestler he would score 10 points a game at most.

andyfox 04-24-2004 12:14 AM

Update

I still say the Yankees have rotation problems.

When was the last time a team lost their number 1, 2 and 3 starters, who won 52 games the year before, yet still won a pennant?

John Cole 04-24-2004 03:57 AM

Re: Update

To answer your rhetorical question: probably not since anyone began calling starters numbers 1, 2, and 3. Note that Vasquez (sp?) goes on three days rest on Sunday. Desperation time in the city?

Kurn, son of Mogh 04-24-2004 09:51 AM

Further update

It's still April

John Cole 04-24-2004 11:08 AM

Re: Further update

And, such a lovely April it is here in New England. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

BTW, when the Sox failed to score in game seven with runners on second and third and none out, I turned to my stepdaughter and said, "The Red Sox will lose."

"How do you know?" she asked.

"I know."

Saw a New York plate the other day that read "RDSOXFAN."

Kurn, son of Mogh 04-24-2004 12:24 PM

My realization of the impending loss came after the topof the 8th. I had run out of the den to iron a shirt for work the next day. When I came back in my first sight was Pedro on the mound. My "NOOOOOO!!!!" rang through the neighborhood. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

MMMMMM 04-24-2004 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, when the Sox failed to score in game seven with runners on second and third and none out, I turned to my stepdaughter and said, "The Red Sox will lose."

"I know."

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, John, it would be helpful if you would mention to her the Fundamental Theorem of the Boston Red Sox:

The more likely the Red Sox are to win, the more likely they are to lose

Zeno 04-24-2004 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"I know."

[/ QUOTE ]

Blazers Vs. Lakers game 7 WC Finals (In reality, the NBA title game) . Start of Lakers 'Comeback in the 4th quarter'.

I knew.

-Zeno

jdl22 04-24-2004 01:53 PM

No $hit that was awful.

You from Oregon?

andyfox 04-24-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Update

Too early in the year for "desperation," but they simply don't have enough starters. With Mussina struggling for about a year now, that leaves them with just two quality starters. There is no fifth starter.

andyfox 04-24-2004 03:51 PM

Those feelings are terrible, aren't they? I felt the same thing when Rivera made the bad throw to second base in the ninth inning against Arizona.

Some things just aren't meant to be.

daryn 04-24-2004 04:30 PM

good game we got brewing here... top of the 11th ny and bos tied 2-2.

daryn 04-24-2004 04:40 PM

wow.. you know it's bad when you can hear the "yankees suck" chant on TV, and they're playing in new york.

daryn 04-24-2004 04:41 PM

big whiff by my man ortiz with the bases loaded [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

andyfox 04-24-2004 04:57 PM

Yankees can't hit, can't field (two errors by Brown today), and can't pitch (with the exception of Brown, Gordon, and Rivera).

Their fielding has been suspect the last few years; their hitting will be good; but their pitching needs help. With the staff they have now, they won't make the playoffs.

daryn 04-24-2004 06:21 PM

even though it's april, and this stuff happens basically every season, it really doesn't look like this yankee team will make the playoffs like you said. they are in need of serious change.

John Cole 04-25-2004 09:01 AM

It wasn't a feeling. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

John Cole 04-25-2004 09:05 AM

Similarly, I had gone to the bathroom. My "WTF" rang through the house.

My stepdaughter has now become a Red Sox fan. Like me, she realizes the pace of the game allows for multiple complaints during the course of the game.

John Cole 04-25-2004 09:09 AM

Careful! Almost Broke MMMMMM\'s Record of Responding to Your Own Posts