Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mark Blade's, "Professional Poker" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352208)

MrGrob 10-07-2005 12:03 AM

Mark Blade\'s, \"Professional Poker\"

All,

The above noted book is by far the best book I have read about "going pro" ever (might even be the 1st devoted 100% to this subject for all I know). I am about 1/2 way through it at this time, but will be buying Mark's other 2 books as soon as they are available based on what I have read so far.

I am currently trying to get back to school for teaching and I plan on playing part-time for a living while doing it. This book was in the right place, at the right book store, at the right time for me. I highly recommend anyone thinking of "going pro" to read and reread it. It is dead on what I have already experienced, and is packed with good advice that has already saved me from a few mistakes.

Be well, all...I just wanted to give a report on a book that I found to be excellent that happened to not be a 2+2 book (I am really shocked that this was not a 2+2 book, given how great I feel it is...). Let me know what you think (if you read it).

"See" you at the tables,
MrGrob

benfranklin 10-07-2005 01:56 PM

Re: Mark Blade\'s, \"Professional Poker\"

For those who have not seen it, Mason reviews a number of new books in this month's magazine, including this one. He gave it a rating of "8".

SNOWBALL138 10-07-2005 03:51 PM

I agree with you about Mark's book. He did a very good job. The bankroll advice is terrific.

tek 10-15-2005 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The above noted book is by far the best book I have read about "going pro" ever. I will be buying Mark's other 2 books as soon as they are available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the book available at B&N? Also, what are his next two books about?

SNOWBALL138 10-15-2005 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the book available at B&N? Also, what are his next two books about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine at border's. His next two books are on general poker strategy, and on "the mental game". I definitely recommend this book. Mark's writing is lucid, and well informed. Its a pleasure to read.

Some readers will find some of the sections lack concision, but perhaps the book's generous organization will benefit those for whom reading and learning are not always the same thing.

tek 10-15-2005 09:35 PM

Have you read No-Limit Life by Charlie Shoten yet? I can't find it in Minneapolis and wanted to get a review before I order it from the Gambler's Book shop in Vegas.

10-20-2005 04:27 PM

I've actually talked to Blades online and he's incredibly down to earth and his advice for me was written off the cuff but it was just as thoughtful as what he outlines inside these pages.

steamboatin 10-26-2005 03:22 PM

I liked the book. It made a lot of sense but you can make a pretty good case for it being an infomercial for the next two books.

It doesn't sell as many books but I would have liked to see him write the very best poker book that he is capable of and not just try to milk us for all he can get.

PJS 10-26-2005 04:00 PM

Does Mark Blade have a website?

PJS

steamboatin 10-26-2005 04:17 PM

Funny you should ask, about one thousand times in the book, He suggests you visit markblade.com.

edited for noun/verb disagreement.

Mason Malmuth 10-27-2005 05:07 AM

Hi Steamy:

I disagree. The best way to sell your subsequent books is to write a great first book. It also helps if your second (and third) books are also great. Today, thanks to the Internet, word gets around quickly. I think both Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie will strongly agree with these comments.

best wishes,
Mason

steamboatin 10-27-2005 08:47 AM

You are right. He first book is a blatant attempt to sell more books but I am less inclined to buy the next one.

SNOWBALL138 10-27-2005 09:05 AM

Who cares? Magazines have adds. Television programs have "to be continued" cliffhangers, and 2+2 uses the same "To fully understand this, we recommend you buy x, y, and z books of ours."

Profit rules. Get with it.

steamboatin 10-27-2005 09:22 AM

I have a large number of 2+2 books and I don't remember a single blatant plug.

Have you read Mark Blade's book or are you just talking out of your ass?

GoSharks 10-27-2005 03:47 PM

I could list more but here are a few specific examples from Tournament Poker for Advanced players where they are in effect shilling for other 2+2 books. . .

TPFAP: pg 106. . . "see Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth for further discussion"

pg 3. . . "If you are not yet at that level where you can beat medium sized poker games, you need to study The Theory of Poker, Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players, Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players, High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players, and other appropriate books published by Two Plus Two Publishing LLC."

pg 7. . . "See my book Poker, Gaming, & Life for more discussion"

pg 52. . . "For those interested in Omaha high-low-split eight-or-better, I suggest High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players by Ray Zee."

pg 95. . . "A more detailed analysis of rebuying can be found in Poker Tournament Strategies by Sylvester Suzuki."

-----------

So, is this an egregious breach of trust? Hardly. 2+2 books are regarded as the industry standard across most categories, and the listings make sense in the context of the discussion at hand on those particular pages. The advice to check out these books for more in-depth discussion on concepts that don't necessarily need further expansion in a book about specific tournament strategy is good. People would be well advised to read these specific books if their interest is in a certain game, or concept. TPFAP isn't about general poker strategy, so it rightly points readers in the right direction if they have an interest in a particular topic beyond the stated goal of the text.

It's just that saying 2+2 never does it is wrong. They do, but I think they do so responsibly. They're not trying to sell second-rate books from a bunch of hacks, which some poker books undoubtedly are, they're pointing people in the direction of books they have published, partially to boost sales, but also because they BELIEVE in the quality of those books. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I do have a problem with authors who intentionally truncate their books in order to offer a follow-up volume, which could easily have worked as a single book, in a blantant effort to extract more sales. Most of the time, people who resort to this sort of nonsense probably don't deliver the goods in either volume. Can anyone say Phil Hellmuth?

steamboatin 10-27-2005 05:04 PM

I didn't veiw these as sales pitches. They are discussing a specific topic and giving an exact reference to where you could get more information.

Mason Malmuth 10-27-2005 07:28 PM

Hi Steam:

We also don't say something like:

And now, let me toot my horn, toot, toot, and recommend the very best book on poker ...

Best wishes,
Mason

Jeffage 10-27-2005 07:34 PM

Something about picturing you saying that with a little horn in your hand just made me crack up lol.

Jeff

Wada 10-28-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't veiw these as sales pitches. They are discussing a specific topic and giving an exact reference to where you could get more information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. Its completely two different things.

About half way through his book, I got so sick and tired of reading the "Read my next book" lines along with the commercial/sales pitch footnotes. It got so redundant that after a while I was able to tell that in the next couple of sentences I knew I would be reading his sales pitches.

Totally annoying and because of it, I probably wont buy his future books. It sounded so much like a plea for help rather than just producing a book and allowing the reputation to precede itself for the future books.

Mark Blade 10-28-2005 05:50 PM

Hi Wada,

Fair enough. As you, Steamboatin, and Mason have pointed out, the mentions of my upcoming books may have been overdone. Although other readers have informed me that it wasn't an issue for them, I'd be foolish to ignore such comments as yours. And especially from such an informed reader like Mason. So I won't. They will be toned down in any future printing.

Thanks for the feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Best regards,
Mark Blade

SNOWBALL138 10-28-2005 08:14 PM

Hi Steam,

Hope everything is well with you.
It surprises me that you are asking if I've read the book when I published a review of it on this forum. Also, I discuss the book within this thread. I stand by my original conclusion:

"Profit rules. Get with it."

-Snowball

GoSharks 10-29-2005 12:19 AM

Steamboatin, look at what Snowball ACTUALLY said. . .

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 uses the same "To fully understand this, we recommend you buy x, y, and z books of ours."

[/ QUOTE ]

The examples I gave were exactly this type of statement. As I think I made clear, I don't have a problem with them doing it, in fact, they have every right to do so, but to say they NEVER attempt to advertise one book inside of another is just false. That said, the books they list are first-rate.

Look closely at what I actually said, those plugs made perfect sense in the context of the discussions on those pages, they're worlds removed from the 'I'd tell you this now, but you need to buy my next book' type of nonsense this thread originally started out decrying.

I just felt the need to defend Snowball, who made an accurate statement. Look at the quote he made, then look at the quotes I listed. They follow EXACTLY the pattern that Snowball said they did. Does this mean Mason should be at all defensive or upset about this? Certainly not, the recommendations make sense contextually, and they're not withholding information just to sell more books. They're simply highlighting the fact that more information is available about a specific game or circumstance that falls outside the scope of the book at hand. What Mark Blade has been accused of is quite a bit different.

I think where Snowball went wrong was in assuming that these two things amounted to the same thing, they don't. It's one thing to draw attention to another book, it's quite another to write a book that acts solely as a house organ for a subsequent book.

Anyway, 2+2, keep putting out quality books and I'll keep buying 'em. Whether the footnotes tell me to or not.

steamboatin 10-29-2005 05:12 AM

You should read exactly what I said.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a large number of 2+2 books and I don't remember a single blatant plug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then reread your reply and it appears that you went to a lot of trouble to agree with me that there are no blatant plugs in two plus two books.

steamboatin 10-29-2005 05:15 AM

I am sorry if we hurt your feelings but I am certain your next book will be better because of this discussion.