Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   All time great NCAA FB teams... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399424)

12-16-2005 02:08 AM

All time great NCAA FB teams...

Who the hell made this list? ESPN wants you to vote on the Top 10 NCAA FB teams ever and this is the list they give you
here

They can't be serious with this list? '02' Ohio State? They might be the worst team from this decade. None of Jimmy Johnson's Miami teams? Or How about Charlie Ward FSU teams?

I don't know who made this list, but they must be on crack. There must be some weird criteria that I'm missing. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one thinking this list is way off.

bernie 12-16-2005 03:23 AM

Re: All time great NCAA FB teams...

'91 Huskies. Good luck against that defense.

b

Jack of Arcades 12-16-2005 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'91 Huskies. Good luck against that defense.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

No joke.

Victor 12-16-2005 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'02' Ohio State? They might be the best team evaaaaaaaa

[/ QUOTE ]

Chairman Wood 12-16-2005 04:35 AM

'94 PSU? Didn't they not even win the National Championship that year (granted they were jipped out of it). In my lifetime '82+ it is either the '95 Cornhuskers or this year/last years USC teams.

Jeremy517 12-16-2005 05:39 AM

This year's USC isn't even the best USC team of the last three years, much less one of the best teams ever.

Clarkmeister 12-16-2005 12:22 PM

95 Huskers are the best team of the modern era and I don't see anyone remotely in their league.

pokerdirty 12-16-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
95 Huskers are the best team of the modern era and I don't see anyone remotely in their league.

[/ QUOTE ]

BreakfastBurrito 12-16-2005 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to disagree with them being best, but from a talent standpoint, hard to argue against 01' Miami being in their or anybody else's league.

UATrewqaz 12-16-2005 03:55 PM

1992 Alabama

Barely average offense, one of the best defenses in college history.

MyTurn2Raise 12-16-2005 06:26 PM

02 Ohio State is the worst national champ in my lifetime

It took about 5 games worth of favorable calls/bounces to get them to that level...absolutely awful national title team
Before I get flamed:
1) Miami game-regardless of whether it was a hold or not, the flag came out way after the play. Plus, the Clarett strip back was a total butcher of the rules. When the Miami player's knee hit the ground, he still had both hand on the ball in a possessive way. Clarett had to take away the ball before the knee hit, which didn't happen. It's one of the worst calls ever, because the game was likely over if the play was called correctly.
2) Against Northwestern, there were 2 completely obvious out-of-bound calls on receptions blown in Ohio State's way. The game was close at the time and likely to remain so.
3) Against Penn St, 2 pass interference/non-interference calls were blown in the last 4 minutes in Ohio State's way
4) The Illini tied the game in OT. Walter Young caught the ball inbounds in the back of the endzone. Any replay shows that. Absolutely blown call, which took away the Illini's chance to win the game
5) The sole TD against Michigan, which was the difference in the game, was a false start by the right side of the Ohio State line. Ohio State started early and was able to blow Michigan off the ball. Clarett ran right behind that 'surge.'

That team struggled like hell to beat mediocre/crappy teams.

Ohio State has had at least 3 better teams in the last 15 years that just didn't catch every [censored] break.

That year is a black eye on college football's past.

Victor 12-16-2005 06:41 PM

dude that team gave lessons on how to win football games.

UATrewqaz 12-16-2005 07:18 PM

I couldn't agree more about '02 Ohio State, worst team to win the title ever.

We as poker players all know a horrible player can win a tournament with suck out after suck out after bad beat, etc.

02 OSU = suck out kings

Nothing against OSU, but lady luck was giving them a BJ the whole season.

kyro 12-16-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude that team gave lessons on how to win football games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say it with me.

Mo-ney.

pokerdirty 12-16-2005 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more about '02 Ohio State, worst team to win the title ever.

We as poker players all know a horrible player can win a tournament with suck out after suck out after bad beat, etc.

02 OSU = suck out kings

Nothing against OSU, but lady luck was giving them a BJ the whole season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 02 OSU team was definately not the worst team ever to win the nat'l championship. The 02 Miami team that OSU beat that year was better than the 01 team the year before.

All anyone remembers about that game was the damn pass interference call in the 2nd overtime. No on remembers how OSU controlled the game for the first 3 quarters, or how much help Miami got from the zebras in that fourth quarter to even tie the game and send it to OT.

I'll agree that OSU probably doesn't deserve to be on this list, due to so many of their games were so close, to both good and mediocre teams. But they did beat a team that would have been on this list had they won that game.

Victor 12-16-2005 10:46 PM

this is true. osu completely outplayed miami in that game. watch it again if you get the chance. miami was lucky to even stay in the game.

Your Mom 12-16-2005 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread over. Thanks for giving my boys their due.

holeplug 12-17-2005 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 02 Miami team that OSU beat that year was better than the 01 team the year before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno the 01 team I think had a better defense. The 02 team gave up over twice as many points as the 01 team did.

maxsick 12-17-2005 01:18 PM

The 3 Best Teams I've Seen (since '93 or so): 95 Nebraska, 01 Miami, 04 USC

Clarkmeister 12-17-2005 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 02 Miami team that OSU beat that year was better than the 01 team the year before.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/Orly.jpg

Sincere 12-18-2005 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be completely blind. Tommy Frazier and that weakass option run wouldnt do squat in todays game. 99 FSU is the best team ever, just about every player on that team is in the NFL.

Sincere 12-18-2005 10:32 PM

99 FSU is the best team ever.

99 FSU is the best team ever, just look at the players in the NFL from that team, Most of these players are still in the NFL.

Peter Warrick WR
Anquan Boldin WR
Talmon Gardner WR
Marvin Minnis WR
Chris Weinke QB
Travis Minor RB
Brett Williams T
Montrae Holland G
Jamal Reynolds DE
Corey Simon DT
Roland Seymore DE
Alonzo Jackson DE
Tommy Polley OLB
Bradley Jennings MLB
Brian Allen OLB
Mario Edwards CB
Tay Cody CB
Chris Hope FS
Derrick Gibson SS
Sebastian Janikowski K

Jack of Arcades 12-18-2005 10:34 PM

Half those players were freshman in 99, and what, 5 of them have had productive careers?

Sincere 12-18-2005 10:37 PM

Doesnt matter, that many NFL players on one college team, come on, not to mention Wire to Wire and demolished everyone.

Jack of Arcades 12-18-2005 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt matter, that many NFL players on one college team, come on, not to mention Wire to Wire and demolished everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the players on the list didn't even see the field, and most of the players haven't done [censored] in the NFL. I bet Miami '01 has a better list, since just about every team in the league has three hurricanes on the roster.

Jack of Arcades 12-18-2005 10:57 PM

'01 Hurricanes. Might have errors.

Kellen Winslow
Phillip Buchanon
Vernon Cary
Najeh Davenport
Ken Dorsey
Markese Fitzgerald
Joaquin Gonzalez
Frank Gore
Jamaal Green
Andre Johnson
William Joseph
Alfonso Marshall
Darrell McClover
Jerome McDougle
Willis McGahee
Clinton Portis
Ed Reed
Brett Romberg
Mike Rumph
Jeremy Shockey
Sean Taylor
Jonathan Vilma
Vince Wilfork
D.J. Williams

Clarkmeister 12-18-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be completely blind. Tommy Frazier and that weakass option run wouldnt do squat in todays game. 99 FSU is the best team ever, just about every player on that team is in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 1995 is so long ago. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

First, you better re-check each teams records and results if you seriously think that FSU team was more dominant than that Nebraska team. It's not even close in terms or results. Second, that Nebraska team annihilated a Florida team that came back intact the following year to win the National Championship basically with ease.

rwperu34 12-19-2005 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This year's USC isn't even the best USC team of the last three years, much less one of the best teams ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This year's USC team is just as good as last year's USC team.

rwperu34 12-19-2005 01:45 AM

The 95 Huskers and 04 Trojans are the best national champs in my time, which stretches back to the days of Marcus Allen, Hershel Walker, and the real Curt Warner. If I had to choose it would be the 95 Huskers. Or the 04 Trojans.

'02 Ohio State was by far NOT the worst. The '90 co-champs of Georgia Tech and Colorado were far worse, and they can't even touch the '84 BYU Cougars.

bottomset 12-19-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'01 Hurricanes. Might have errors.

Kellen Winslow
Phillip Buchanon
Vernon Cary
Najeh Davenport
Ken Dorsey
Markese Fitzgerald
Joaquin Gonzalez
Frank Gore
Jamaal Green
Andre Johnson
William Joseph
Alfonso Marshall
Darrell McClover
Jerome McDougle
Willis McGahee
Clinton Portis
Ed Reed
Brett Romberg
Mike Rumph
Jeremy Shockey
Sean Taylor
Jonathan Vilma
Vince Wilfork
D.J. Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that is the largest level of NFL talent on any modern college team, 11 first rounders, and some very good pros

12-19-2005 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If modern era means from '95 on. Give me the '71 Husker team. 38 points per game, 8 allowed, won that classic over Oklahoma that they still talk about today.

12-19-2005 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year's team had a great defense. This is year their D is average.

rwperu34 12-19-2005 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year's team had a great defense. This is year their D is average.

[/ QUOTE ]

This year's D is worse, but thier offense is better. The points allowed are off because of playing better offenses. If USC beats Texas easily, this team will rate right with last years team.

Jeremy517 12-19-2005 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponents PPG in 2004: 13.0
Opponents PPG in 2005: 21.3

Opponents total offense in 2004: 279.3
Opponents total offense in 2004: 344.7

This year's USC team is far worse defensively in almost every category than last year's team.

CarlSpackler 12-19-2005 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

99 FSU had the worst defense of any national champion since 1990. They're also lucky they got to play that overrated VaTech team (who was beating them in the 4th quarter, lol), instead of the 99 Huskers and their nasty defense (Solich should have been fired that year for not going undefeated...).

CarlSpackler 12-19-2005 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The most amazing statistic about the 95 Huskers, was not only did they average about 400 yards rushing a game, but they allowed 0 sacks and did not have one running play go for negative yards the entire season. What makes this mind boggling accomplishment even more impressive, is that Nebraska was playing their 3rd, 4th, and 5th string players in the 4th quarter in just about every game (and the backups started playing in the 3rd quarter of like half their games). No team will ever accomplish this feat again.

DrCool 12-19-2005 07:18 PM

The 91 Huskies were freakin amazing. Their defense was one of the best I have ever seen. I remember quite a few plays where it would be 3rd and 10 and the opposing offense would commmit a penalty. Instead of making it 4th and 10 and forcing a punt like most teams would do they would just back up the opponent another 10 yards for a 3rd and 20 because they were so confident in their defense. They were an amazing team to watch.

rwperu34 12-19-2005 08:09 PM

Another good question will be, where does Texas rank if they win?

Vince Young 12-19-2005 08:17 PM

Why would you even entertain such a silly thought?

rwperu34 12-19-2005 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you even entertain such a silly thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which thought is silly? That Texas might win or if they do win they would be one of the best teams of recent history?