Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Frogs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398768)

Zeno 12-15-2005 02:21 AM

The Frogs

An American is having breakfast, in Paris, one morning (coffee, croissants, bread, butter and jam) when a Frenchman, chewing bubble-gum, sits down next to him. The American ignores the Frenchman who, nevertheless, starts a conversation.

Frenchman: "You American folk eat the whole bread??"

American (in a bad mood): "Of course."

Frenchman: (after blowing a huge bubble) "We don't. In France, we only eat what's inside. The crusts we collect in a container, recycle it, transform them into croissants and sell them to the states."

The Frenchman has a smirk on his face. The American listens in silence.

The Frenchman persists: "Do you eat jelly with the bread??"

American: "Of Course."

Frenchman: (cracking his bubble-gum between his teeth and chuckling). "We don't. In France we eat fresh fruit for breakfast, then we put all the peels, seeds, and leftovers in containers, recycle them, transform them into jam, and sell the jam to the states."

After a moment of silence, The American then asks: "Do you have sex in France?"

Frenchman: "Why of course we do", he says with a big smirk.

American: "And what do you do with the condoms once you've used them?"

Frenchman: "We throw them away, of course."

American: "We don't. In America, we put them in a container, recycle them, melt them down into bubble-gum, and sell them to France."

__________________________________________________ __

By the way, is France still Burning?

Le Misanthrope

BCPVP 12-15-2005 02:27 AM

Re: The Frogs

It's too bad so many people here have no sense of humor. Nice joke, Zeno. I'll try to remember it.

MMMMMM 12-15-2005 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, is France still Burning?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're down to burning only 92 cars per day around this time. This is progress.

By the way, Zeno, you might enjoy this column (it mentions with relish the burning of French cars), or some other columns on his site.

http://www.takistopdrawer.us/2005/de...005-Dec-5.html

http://www.takistopdrawer.us/columnarchive.html

Autocratic 12-15-2005 03:05 AM

Bad joke.

tripp0807 12-15-2005 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. And I hate the French.

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 03:18 AM

The French are a joke on themselves but they just don't realize it.

BCPVP 12-15-2005 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What'd I tell you, Zeno. No humor here at all...

Il_Mostro 12-15-2005 03:44 AM

put a small smile on me, but really, one would think there is better jokes to tell about the french.

Zeno 12-15-2005 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
put a small smile on me, but really, one would think there is better jokes to tell about the french.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are. The joke was sent to me by a friend via e-mail. I admit its a bit average but why fuss about it. I felt like sharing it. Plus, it was a good way to introduce another jab at the French Failure. A bigger and better joke.

-Zeno

Il_Mostro 12-15-2005 04:21 AM

No fuss

thanks for sharing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

another one, although I assume you've all seen it:
google "french military victories" and press "I'm feeling lucky"

Zeno 12-15-2005 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I posted the same 'joke' in OOT. My experiment went equally well over there also.

Time for another hiatus.

-Zeno

Zeno 12-15-2005 04:36 AM

Thanks for the links, M. Interesting.

By the way. I purchased a book of poems translated by David Hinton called: The Selected Poems of Po Chü-I.

I am enjoying this work very much. I assume you know about this poet, if not look into his work. Reading his poems is a much more worthwhile expenditure of my time than, say, posting here. That is, unless John Cole shows up to explain everything ‘poetical’ to us lesser literary munchkins.

-Zeno

Zeno 12-15-2005 04:56 AM

Copy of another e-mail I just receive for the humorless crowd that so infests this forum. Stay gloomy.

__________________________________________________ ______

As many are aware, the French government recently announced a rise in its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The normal level is "General Arrogance," and the only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a recent
fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

It's not only the French that are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain:
"Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdain" to "Dress in Uniform and
Sing Marching Songs." They have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Seeing this reaction in continental Europe, the Americans have gone from "Isolationism" to "Find Another Oil-rich Nation for Regime Change." Their remaining higher alert states are "Attack Random
Countries (Ideally Those Without Any Credible Military)" and "Beg the British for Help."

The British are also feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940, when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the Great Fire of 1666.

-Zeno

tripp0807 12-15-2005 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Copy of another e-mail I just receive for the humorless crowd that so infests this forum. Stay gloomy.

__________________________________________________ ______

As many are aware, the French government recently announced a rise in its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The normal level is "General Arrogance," and the only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a recent
fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

It's not only the French that are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain:
"Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdain" to "Dress in Uniform and
Sing Marching Songs." They have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Seeing this reaction in continental Europe, the Americans have gone from "Isolationism" to "Find Another Oil-rich Nation for Regime Change." Their remaining higher alert states are "Attack Random
Countries (Ideally Those Without Any Credible Military)" and "Beg the British for Help."

The British are also feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940, when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the Great Fire of 1666.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Now these are funny to a Francophobe (or is it Francophile?).

BCPVP 12-15-2005 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now these are funny to a Francophobe (or is it Francophile?).

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on whether you like France or not.

tripp0807 12-15-2005 05:07 AM

Hate.

Il_Mostro 12-15-2005 06:28 AM

Applause

Much better, this caused me to laugh and imediately send it on to collegues.

diebitter 12-15-2005 10:12 AM

Now this I like better.

MMMMMM 12-15-2005 11:47 AM

Thanks, Zeno. I am not familiar with that poet by name, although I hold in very fond regard an old book (now sadly lost), which contains a compilation of Chinese poetry along with Chinese wood-block reprints of mountain scenes, gorges, rivers, etc. Perhaps some of Po Chu-I's poems are in that book. Come to think of it, I will now be searching for used copies of that book and for the book you recommend.

I am more familiar with Japanese haiku poets than with Chinese poets, and I really should read some more Chinese poetry. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Cyrus 12-15-2005 11:58 AM

Le Heil Hitler

[ QUOTE ]
You might enjoy this column (it mentions with relish the burning of French cars), or some other columns on his site.

http://www.takistopdrawer.us/2005/de...005-Dec-5.html

http://www.takistopdrawer.us/columnarchive.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so that it's clear :

Takis Theodoracopoulos expresses his admiration for Le Pen. And Le Pen is a neo-fascist and a racist.

Of course, you never can tell. There's no lowest point to this crowd's predilections.

Zeno 12-15-2005 03:54 PM

Also look for Wang Wei (699-759 C.E.), said to be a great master of Ch'an poetry and also T'ao Ch'ien.

-Zeno

Zeno 12-15-2005 04:02 PM

Re: Le Heil Hitler

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, you never can tell. There's no lowest point to this crowd's predilections.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nadir hasn't been reached yet? I feel fortunate. Please PM me when we scrape bottom so I can enjoy the show.

I try and elevate the plane a bit with some poet talk and see what happens. Of course, I pulled on the rubber band both ways in this thread. Balance is key. And no, don't make any snappy jokes. Too average for this crowd.

-Zeno

Autocratic 12-15-2005 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a matter of that. I have a normal sense of humor, though I prefer more edgy jokes. I prefered the second batch. In general I hate jokes that consist of a fictional conversation in which someone ends up getting "dissed" (the dissed person is usually among a group that the joke teller finds annoying). They're just stupid.

MMMMMM 12-15-2005 04:53 PM

I really don't know much about Le Pen, Cyrus, but I did appreciate the column by Taki.

Of course, what better way is there to stifle discourse and debate, than by hurling accusations of racism and fascism? I thought it particularly telling that Taki related how processions of schoolchildren had been organized to march calling for Le Pen's death. Somehow, even if Le Pen is all you say, it seems to me he isn't the only "fascist" in France--or elsewhere. Those who would squelch free speech and debate (as Le Pen was effectively squelched in France) seem to me at least as guilty of such things.

Is it possible that Le Pen might actually have a point, and that the cumulative effect of years of unbridled immigration of poor unskilled North Africans and Algerians is actually harming the country? Only those with completely pre-closed minds would dismiss the possibility out of hand, or refuse to entertain debate upon the subject. And that, according to Taki, is exactly what has happened to Le Pen, as the elite statists "shouted him down."

Maybe Le Pen is indeed a racist and a fascist; I don't know. But his calling for a lessening of such immigration is just common sense in my opinion--something that seems sorely lacking nowadays, especially amongst the insulated and politically correct elites that run Europe.

And besides, Taki sure knows how to write a column.

P.S. to Zeno,

Sorry if this has diverged from the light intent of the thread--I just thought you'd like some of Taki's columns, and your query about French cars burning made the column seem a rather appropriate fit (at least in that regard, if not in all regards).

12-15-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The nadir hasn't been reached yet? I feel fortunate. Please PM me when we scrape bottom so I can enjoy the show.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

That show is currently playing at the Other Other Topics forum. Bring your own adult beverages and snacks. Viewer discretion advised.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I pulled on the rubber band both ways in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

More effective than trying to push on one.

12-15-2005 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a good way to introduce another jab at the French Failure
-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?

coffeecrazy1 12-15-2005 06:16 PM

phobe...but that means fear, not hate

zipo 12-15-2005 06:18 PM

>>Of course, what better way is there to stifle discourse and debate, than by hurling accusations of racism and fascism?<<

This is a common tactic, so common that these kind of accusations and mischaracterizations are ignored and dismissed.

I think this has to do with the increasing irrelevance of PC, together with an increasingly media-savvy culture summarily rejecting such clumsy attempts to spin debate in this way.

All in all, a healthy development.

12-15-2005 10:46 PM

Zeno...

<ul type="square"> http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a2...awgs/laugh.gif[/list]

And to those with their panties all twisted up...

<ul type="square"> http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a2...wgs/aetsch.gif[/list]

peritonlogon 12-15-2005 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
phobe...but that means fear, not hate

[/ QUOTE ]
Those were the good old days

PoBoy321 12-15-2005 10:56 PM

Eh, it got a chuckle out of me, but it's really not a french-specific joke.

Zeno 12-16-2005 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was a good way to introduce another jab at the French Failure
-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Jackcase,

Indulge yourself.

Cheers,

-Zeno

Cyrus 12-16-2005 02:04 AM

Le Pen is mightier than the turd

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't know much about Le Pen.

[/ QUOTE ] Which is why I am bringing a few facts about the man to your attention. Your admiration for Taki should be tempered.

Le Pen quote, August 31st 1996 : ""Yes, I do believe in the inequality of races! Olympic games show clearly inequalities between the back and white races concerning, for example, athletes, and runners in particular. It’s a fact. [...] I’m stating what I see. [...] Egalitarianism is simply absurd." Et moi je dis, vas the faire enculer, pièce d' emmerdeur.

Fools such as li'l zipo here (who tries hard to be irrelevant again) will ignore to their detriment the significance of European neo-facists such as Le Pen and his numerous followers in France, people who attack Muslims one night - and paint swastikas in Jewish cemeteries the next.

But perhaps some of the folks here will probably find a lot of common ground with Taki (or Le Pen) in their attitudes towards "towel heads" and "camel jockeys"...

[ QUOTE ]
Those who would squelch free speech and debate (as Le Pen was effectively squelched in France) seem to me at least as guilty of such things [as fascism].

[/ QUOTE ] This is correct, despite being a gross exaggeration. (Fascism is alotgether a very different thing. I cringe whenever Bush is accused of being a fascist.) For what it's worth, I believe that freedom of speech is essential in a democracy, whether it's the speech (expression and dissemination of ideas) of neo-fascists like Le Pen, Holocaust deniers like Faurisson, German neo-Nazis, etc etc. Europe is lagging way behind the United States in this respect.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that Le Pen might actually have a point, and that the cumulative effect of years of unbridled immigration of poor unskilled North Africans and Algerians is actually harming the country?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, in my opinion Le Pen is correct in that aspect -- but there are many other politicians, who happen to be more mainstream than that neo-fascist, who are arguing against totally free immigration and are making their case with more intelligence, less inflaming rhetoric, none of the supremacist ideology and more constructive proposals. Le Pen has effectively sabotaged the public dialogue necessary for France to find a way ahead on the issue of immigration.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, Taki sure knows how to write a column.

[/ QUOTE ] I already told you : Taki's writing is his saving grace. He is a true son of a bitch otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. to Zeno. Sorry if this has diverged from the light intent of the thread.

[/ QUOTE ] You could atone by providing a joke that's better than the Zeno ear-clapper. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

vulturesrow 12-16-2005 03:21 AM

Re: Le Pen is mightier than the turd

[ QUOTE ]
I already told you : Taki's writing is his saving grace. He is a true son of a bitch otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. The man can turn a phrase but some of the things I have read by him are downright nauseating.

MMMMMM 12-16-2005 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't know much about Le Pen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I am bringing a few facts about the man to your attention. Your admiration for Taki should be tempered.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think my appreciation of his columns is an untempered admiration of every thing he writes, or everything about him or who he likes? Didn't I make it clear from a previous thread that there are things one may agree or disagree with in Taki's columns? Is a standard for writers that we now must agree with ALL of their views, and admire ALL whom they admire--or if not, shun them entirely?

[ QUOTE ]
Le Pen quote, August 31st 1996 : ""Yes, I do believe in the inequality of races! Olympic games show clearly inequalities between the back and white races concerning, for example, athletes, and runners in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus are you claiming that whites are the athletic equivalent of blacks, on average? Got anything to back up that assertion? Ever look up top running records in recent years? Blacks dominate the highest levels of the sport of running even more so than they dominate the sport of basketball.

Obviously there are actual physical differences between the races. However, equality of rights should be the most important guiding principle. Equality of rights however does not imply, nor does it even have anything to do with, matters of actual physical qualities.

Now, IF Le Pen further asserts that blacks are inherently mentally inferior (does he actually claim that? I don't know if he does or not), I'd say that is a baseless and troublesome statement. However, that has no bearing on whether Taki writes a good column or makes some good points of his own. And I don't have to like every person a columnist likes, in order to appreciate their columns. Nor should you.

[ QUOTE ]
You could atone by providing a joke that's better than the Zeno ear-clapper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's an old one by now, well-known to grizzled veterans of this forum, but for everyone else, check out this link:

French Military Workout

Cyrus 12-16-2005 11:23 PM

Another ear-clapper

[ QUOTE ]
It's an old one by now, well-known to grizzled veterans of this forum, but for everyone else, check out this link:

French Military Workout

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a grizzled veteran of Monty Python's Flying Circus and I think this clip is taken from one of their skits. It's not originally an anti-French joke. Some web guy probably posted it up as such.

And the limp-wrist "joke" is a little tired.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/9193.jpg

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously there are actual physical differences between the races.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to back that up? Please give me a biological definition of "race" to begin with. Good luck finding one.

MMMMMM 12-17-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to back that up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, let's see... blacks have darker skin, whites have lighter skin, Asians have yellower skin; blacks have curlier hair, and are more prone to high blood pressure...OBVIOUSLY, these are physical differences.

12-17-2005 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing about race is obvious or universally accepted. From the Columbia Encyclopedia:

[ QUOTE ]
Many physical anthropologists believe that, because there is as much genetic variation among the members of any given race as there is between different racial groups, the concept of race is ultimately unscientific and racial categories are arbitrary designations. The term race is inappropriate when applied to national, religious, geographic, linguistic, or ethnic groups, nor can the biological criteria of race be equated with mental characteristics, such as intelligence, personality, or character.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM 12-17-2005 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing about race is obvious or universally accepted. From the Columbia Encyclopedia: ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it may be that the definition of "race" is giving the trouble here. Maybe "race" is not the best term for certain obvious group characteristics or differences (what would a better term than "race"? I don't know). However, whatever term is used, there are certain obvious differences such as skin pigmentations, greater susceptibility to certain diseases such as sickle-cell anemia and high blood pressure, etc. It is A FACT that those characteristics are not randomly distributed. So if you don't want to call it "race", what then would you call it?

Since there are some clear physical differences, it is not wrong to suppose that there may be other physical differences as well--one of which is borne out by the example of tremendous black dominance in the sport of running. By the way, I recall reading, many years ago, that blacks on average have a higher proportion of fast-twitch leg muscle, compared to whites who have a relatively higher proportion of slow-twitch leg muscle, which helps account for the fact that blacks are even more dominant in sprinting, whereas whites tend to be more distance runners.

Even if there is argument about the word "race", it cannot be denied that there is medical evidence which shows that "African-Americans" are more susceptible to, which diseases? Sickle-cell anemia and high blood pressure? And that is the main point, in my opinion--that the "groups" (since the word "race" seems so controversial) have definite tendencies toward certain physical characteristics which are not in all respects equal. That some such characteristics and differences clearly exist is what I meant by "obvious."