Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   And people say Mass drivers are aggressive? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383266)

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 11:18 AM

And people say Mass drivers are aggressive?

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6797/untitled4ab.jpg

TheMainEvent 11-22-2005 11:40 AM

Re: And people say Mass drivers are aggressive?

The best part is that they had to sit there right next to each other for hours afterward.

BTW, you guys are the worst. That's funny though.

TheBlueMonster 11-22-2005 12:17 PM

awesome pic, but I agree that Mass. drivers are by far the worst in the world.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't the worst; we are aggressive. The rest of you are just a bunch of pussies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

benza13 11-22-2005 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't the worst; we are aggressive. The rest of you are just a bunch of pussies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, people from Mass arent bad drivers, it just seems like it to the untrained eye.

swede123 11-22-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're not claiming to be the most aggressive drivers in the world, but I still feel it's important to point out how the most crazy and aggressive American driver is a pussy cat compared to most drivers in any typical European city. Barcelona, for example, has some crazy fuckers on the road. I imagine things are as bad or worse in some Latin American countries.

Swede

benza13 11-22-2005 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're not claiming to be the most aggressive drivers in the world, but I still feel it's important to point out how the most crazy and aggressive driver is a pussy cat compared to most drivers in any typical European city. Barcelona, for example, has some crazy fuckers on the road. I imagine things are as bad or worse in some Latin American countries.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, and one that anyone who has traveled in the Caribbean would agree with. Drivers in the US are very tame compared to other areas of the world. Mass drivers are just among the most agressive in the US.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 12:49 PM

I've never been to Barcelona specifically, but I propose that the aggressiveness of local drivers anywhere is inversely proportional to the average width, simplicity, and surface consistency of the local road infrastructure.

Boston has the narrowest, most screwed up roads with the most potholes anywhere in the U.S., so naturally we are the most aggressive drivers.

TheBlueMonster 11-22-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're not claiming to be the most aggressive drivers in the world, but I still feel it's important to point out how the most crazy and aggressive American driver is a pussy cat compared to most drivers in any typical European city. Barcelona, for example, has some crazy fuckers on the road. I imagine things are as bad or worse in some Latin American countries.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've driven with some of these Euro-Wackos. While they may be insanely aggressive, they at least have a basic idea of where their car is going. I have a sneaking suspicion that Mass. drivers have no concept of where their car ends and another begins

icepick 11-22-2005 12:59 PM

Nice pic...but anyone else open this thread looking for a rail gun or something?

swede123 11-22-2005 01:00 PM

Hahah. I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title. I guess I've played too much Masters of Orion.

Swede

TheMainEvent 11-22-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to Barcelona specifically, but I propose that the aggressiveness of local drivers anywhere is inversely proportional to the average width, simplicity, and surface consistency of the local road infrastructure.

Boston has the narrowest, most screwed up roads with the most potholes anywhere in the U.S., so naturally we are the most aggressive drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this seems to be true, but it doesn't make sense to me. If the roads themselves are inherently dangerous, why would you compound that by driving fast and aggressive?

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this seems to be true, but it doesn't make sense to me. If the roads themselves are inherently dangerous, why would you compound that by driving fast and aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't pretend to understand why.

swede123 11-22-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't pretend to understand why.

[/ QUOTE ]

The roads are narrower due to poor city planning, overcrowding. The drivers respond to this by driving more aggressively, since this is the only way to get anywhere.

In areas with poor road conditions, potholes etc. this is further magnified by people having older, crappier cars they don't care about, and thus driving even more crazy since they don't worry about small fender benders and what not.

Swede

splashpot 11-22-2005 01:50 PM

The cars in that pic don't have MA license plates. MA plates are either green or red. Those look like NY plates.

splashpot 11-22-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
It's crazy in China too. In Beijing, forget about driving, I'm afraid to cross the street on foot. Seriously.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cars in that pic don't have MA license plates. MA plates are either green or red. Those look like NY plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, yeah - that was the point...say the subject with the emphasis on "Mass" and you'll get it.

jstnrgrs 11-22-2005 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, people from Mass arent bad drivers, it just seems like it to the untrained eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree, but latelly, I've been seeing some stupid things that drivers do. The one that I am most annoied by right now is moving to the left before turning right or vice versa. If you are turning right, you should move to the right so that other dirvers can (privided the road is wide enough) get by on the left. Same thing for turning left.

Voltron87 11-22-2005 03:19 PM

I was in boston last weekend and it was an absolutely awful driving city. first off the intersections are all bizarre and badly designed, and the drivers are maniacs. so yeah, badly designed intersections. big pain

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 03:19 PM

This reminds me of what happened to a buddy of mine a few years back. He was driving behind a really slow old woman for a while...finally she put her left blinker on and slowed down, so he started to pass her on the right....and she turned right and crashed into him. When asked why she did this, she replied "I was trying to give you notice to go around me on the left." I mean...wow...just wow.

LetYouDown 11-22-2005 03:22 PM

That looks really really familiar. Any idea exactly where this was? It looks like Western New York, just north of the Peace Bridge. Either way, my guess is the guy is in an EZPass lane and didn't have one...so he stopped like an idiot. I just can't imagine how long someone would have to sit there before I'd get pissed off enough to do something that retarded, lol.

TheMainEvent 11-22-2005 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of what happened to a buddy of mine a few years back. He was driving behind a really slow old woman for a while...finally she put her left blinker on and slowed down, so he started to pass her on the right....and she turned right and crashed into him. When asked why she did this, she replied "I was trying to give you notice to go around me on the left." I mean...wow...just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

So by "passed her on the right" you mean "illegally passed her on the shoulder"?

TheMainEvent 11-22-2005 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That looks really really familiar. Any idea exactly where this was? It looks like Western New York, just north of the Peace Bridge. Either way, my guess is the guy is in an EZPass lane and didn't have one...so he stopped like an idiot. I just can't imagine how long someone would have to sit there before I'd get pissed off enough to do something that retarded, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess was it was two lanes merging into one that turned into a pissing contest and nobody backed down.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So by "passed her on the right" you mean "illegally passed her on the shoulder"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I suppose - I know the area it happened, there is a breakdown lane of sorts. Is that illegal? I've definitely done it in front of cops before.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess was it was two lanes merging into one that turned into a pissing contest and nobody backed down.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I envisioned it too.

I have no idea where this picture was taken though.

imported_The Vibesman 11-22-2005 03:46 PM

Yes, passing on the right is illegal. From your story, your buddy was at fault, at least in Massachusetts.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, passing on the right is illegal. From your story, your buddy was at fault, at least in Massachusetts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe legally...but a little common sense goes a long way. I mean, who in their right mind thinks that is actually a use for a turn signal?

Anyway, there's got to be gray area in this rule too - at what point does it become okay to proceed? When the other car has completely crossed to the other side of the road, when they are off the road entirely, or what? I'm not being a nit, I really would like to know when it is technically legal to go past someone who is turning left.

imported_The Vibesman 11-22-2005 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe legally...but a little common sense goes a long way. I mean, who in their right mind thinks that is actually a use for a turn signal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't make the laws, lol. And being from Massachusetts, I don't really know anyone that uses signals for anything. I always felt turn signals were a sign of weakness.

2planka 11-22-2005 04:12 PM

What are these "turn signals" you speak of? My vehicle is quite large, surely others can see it turn.

2planka 11-22-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ne/Leghorn.jpg

That boy's 'bout as sharp as a bowlin' ball. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brainwalter 11-22-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more common than you think. And possibly standard back in her day.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am baffled. Can this possibly be true? Why would turn signals have 2 EXACTLY OPPOSITE meanings?

TheMainEvent 11-22-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am baffled. Can this possibly be true? Why would turn signals have 2 EXACTLY OPPOSITE meanings?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true to any large extent I think it pretty much seals that deal that old people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true to any large extent I think it pretty much seals that deal that old people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just googled for a while and could not find anything to support this. As far as I can tell, turn signals were always intended to indicate which direction you are about to turn. All is well and good with the world.

Jurollo 11-22-2005 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god someone mentioned Barcelona, I have never been so terrified in my life as I was in a cab in Barcelona, it is basically a 2 lane US highway turned into a 4 lane one and not widened. Nuts!
~Justin

disjunction 11-22-2005 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just googled for a while and could not find anything to support this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's this (in Mexico):

[ QUOTE ]

Learn local driving signals.

In Mexico, a blinking left turn signal on the vehicle in front of you could mean that it is clear ahead and you may pass, or it could mean the driver is making a left turn. An outstretched left arm may mean an invitation for you to pass. When in doubt, do not pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...onal_1174.html

Slow Play Ray 11-22-2005 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All is well and good with the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP