Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Paul Phillips, $2-5 Mirage (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222962)

THE OUTLAW 03-30-2005 05:29 PM

Paul Phillips, $2-5 Mirage

The other day Paul Phillips wandered by my $2-5 game (shorthanded at the time) and dropped down what was left of his $10 chips from the $40-$80 limit game. He started firing right off the bat which didnt suprise me. In less than 30 minutes he had already burned through at least 4- $500 buy-ins. Raising to $20-$30 pre every hand, BIG dark bets when first to act, calling big bets with middle pair when checkraised big or all in, calling all in bets with draws and not nearly the odds.

To me his play looked horrible but Im wondering if he was taking all of these shots with the worst of it in order build a huge stack. Here is an example and my last hand at the table...

PP has a brand new $500 stack and raises a straddler to $50 LP comes over the top all in for $300, BB goes all in for about $400, He thinks for a second and calls w/ T7s.

It looked to me like this guy was just giving his money away but his attitude suggested that he was just gambling a bit and that all of the chips would be his soon. Do you guys think there is a method to his madness or think that he was just throwing a party for the table.

THE OUTLAW

Prevaricator 03-30-2005 05:32 PM

Re: Paul Phillips, $2-5 Mirage

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think there is a method to his madness or think that he was just throwing a party for the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The latter.

brick 03-30-2005 05:37 PM

I've alway wondered why good players like Paul Phillips and Dan N play in these lower limit games and gambooool it up.

Maybe he will enlighten us.

RYL 03-30-2005 05:42 PM

I sometime go crazy at 10c 25c pokerstars just for fun. I go all in with 72 off. CAll with J3. I just play around. It's fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

freemoney 03-30-2005 05:45 PM

yeah think about what a couple thousand is to a guy like Paul Phillips

Burno 03-30-2005 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've alway wondered why good players like Paul Phillips and Dan N play in these lower limit games and gambooool it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the same reason why I burn through 5 buyins a week at the stars .01/.02 NL tables.

It's very enjoyable to play completely awful poker for meaningless stakes after hours of focusing on playing your best game.

Paul Phillips 03-30-2005 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me his play looked horrible but Im wondering if he was taking all of these shots with the worst of it in order build a huge stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This new trend toward buyin caps drives me crazy. I have to be able to cover the table to properly dominate the game.

[ QUOTE ]
PP has a brand new $500 stack and raises a straddler to $50 LP comes over the top all in for $300, BB goes all in for about $400, He thinks for a second and calls w/ T7s.

[/ QUOTE ]

That hand was the turning point (that was my 4th $500 buyin.) I left the game a $3000 winner, barely able to carry all the racks to the cage. Not too shabby for six hours of 2-5 NLH. I don't normally reveal my cash game results but in this case it goes to the heart of your question.

[ QUOTE ]
his attitude suggested that he was just gambling a bit and that all of the chips would be his soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You left too early. They all came home where they belonged. I actually put on quite a clinic that night but it sounds like you left at exactly the wrong time.

kagame 03-30-2005 06:27 PM

one of my friends (mike j.) was playing in that game and i heard all about how well paul was playing, albeit super aggressive, and what great reads he was making...

DEFINITELY NOT THROWING A PARTY

JMP300z 03-30-2005 06:47 PM

On a side note, how is that game??? hard/soft?? Ill be in vegas next week and plan on spending time at the mirage.

Thanks in advance.

-Justin

theBruiser500 03-30-2005 06:53 PM

how can you dominate a game like that? if they are bad players you just have to wait for good hands.

kagame 03-30-2005 07:17 PM

speaking of paul:
http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_phot...050304-144-010

thats just classic ;-)

Paul Phillips 03-30-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how can you dominate a game like that? if they are bad players you just have to wait for good hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a strange perspective. It is they who end up waiting for good hands... which is what gets them in the end. Not that this table was loaded with bad players, just players with a lot less experience.

In limit you can beat bad players by tightening up. In no-limit there are a LOT of ways to beat them and tightening up is nowhere near the most profitable.

Michael Jensen 03-30-2005 07:26 PM

Perspective from a player in the game

I was playing at the table next to Paul Phillips and made a game change for the opportunity to play with him and to see if I could catch a big score off him early. I had these intentions because I noticed he was gambling with all types of hands for a lot of money in relation to the blinds.

At the same time I knew that once he doubled up he would start making a move to remove all the chips from the table. By the end of the night, that is exactly what happened.

Yes, he did gamble with marginal hands for his entire stack but it was only done as a quick attempt to double up. He commented several times on how difficult it is to only buy-in for $500. After 3 rebuys and many hands where he either doubled up his opponent or double or tripled up through his, he built his stack up to 2,000. A side note, after I had raised preflop on my first hand after a rebuy, Paul bet dark into 3 opponents and called my all-in with an open ended straight draw. My bust A-high flush draw held.

Once he had some ammunition, he played exceptionally well. I know this because I sat to his immediate right for the majority of the time. He won several pots with relentless aggression. Picking perfect spots to push hands through and made accurate reads with very marginal hands. Furthermore, he made many bets in which he enticed his opponent to come over the top of him and he made countless calls with 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th pair for up to $200-$300 and was correct in doing so a majority of the time.

He had a lot of gamble in him preflop but played exceptionally after the flop.

My results were very poor in the game (not surprsingly of course), but I did have several spots where I was willing to put my money in with 2nd or 3rd pair after Paul had bet up to $300, but another opponent beat me to it. I would have been good most of the time. But instead of waiting for another opportunity I crippled myself after building my stack to nearly 1400 after a lucky double after flopping a flush. I ended up embarassing myself in the game in how I played my final game, but it was due to the amount of pressure Paul was putting on me and everyone else.

It did not matter how the cards fell that night, it was only a matter of time until he took us down one by one. It was a pleasure playing with him and although I ended up crippling myself with 2 poor decisions late in the night with a large stack, I am happy with some of the reads I had made against him but was unfortunate enough to have a caller in front of me time and time again. He also made several blocking bets on the river that were meant to entice his opponent to make a move at the pot. I remember three times where I was enclined to make the move but thought twice figuring he wasn't that strong but that he was just waiting for me to make a move at the pot just to see how fast he would call with middle pair.

When I was first dealt into the game I figured I knew what his strategy was and I was correct. It was very enjoyable to watch him build up his fortress of chips in that he did it with such mastery. Even though most of my chips found there way to his stack to my left, I got exactly what I wanted. I wanted to see what it was was like to sit to Paul Phillip's right. Let me tell you what it was like, it was tough, and that's an understatement.

It was nice playing with you Paul. I hope it will happen again, but next time I'll sit on your left and bet dark your straddle.

Michael Jensen
BraveJayhawk

Ulysses 03-30-2005 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why capped buy-in games suck. When a lucky fish like Phillips triples up w/ T7s, you want to be able to pull out $1500.

Michael Jensen 03-30-2005 07:37 PM

Re: Perspective from a player in the game

I realized I might have made it seem like I had a good read and played well against Paul. I want to clear this. He had me guessing all night. Putting a alot of pressure on me, more often than not getting heads up with me by reraising behind me when I opened up for a raise. He did this many time when he was on the button or on the cut-off. I just mentioned the things I did right or would have if I had the opportunity to go heads-up. The pressure he put on me lead me to make poor decisions which lead to my demise. What a great card player. I was very much impressed.

Ulysses 03-30-2005 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I left the game a $3000 winner, barely able to carry all the racks to the cage.

[/ QUOTE ]

You tourney guys might not know this since you rarely ever leave with chips. You can tip a chip-runner to color up for you. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I actually put on quite a clinic that night but it sounds like you left at exactly the wrong time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone earlier talked about throwing a party. Just the other night I played in a $.50/$1NL game online. It was mainly to blow off steam after a crap run at $25/50NL. But that didn't mean I didn't want to win. I always want to win when I play, and I imagine that's the same for you. Even for low stakes, it's not fun for me to just give away money like an idiot. In that game, I played and min-raised 100% of my hands pre-flop. And early on, I gave unlimited action to all the short buys at the table. But I played great post-flop and was busting people left and right. I left the table w/ about $650, up about $450. And every pro $.50/$1 player there was talking about the idiot lucksack fish.

creedofhubris 03-30-2005 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a strange perspective. It is they who end up waiting for good hands... which is what gets them in the end. Not that this table was loaded with bad players, just players with a lot less experience.

In limit you can beat bad players by tightening up. In no-limit there are a LOT of ways to beat them and tightening up is nowhere near the most profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

So. Obviously throwing tons of money into speculative hands preflop to double/triple up is a positive expectation play for you. (Doubt it would be for most of us.)

In your opinion, how much of the benefit of that move is the power of the eventual big stack in your hands, and how much comes from the crazed table image it buys you?

Let's put it this way. Say you sat down at a table of decent players with NO capped buy-in, with a healthy stack.

Do you feel it would still be a positive play to go into maniac mode upon first sitting down, in order to encourage players to take shots at you later? (You're wearing a wig and a clown outfit, so no one recognizes you and realizes what you're up to.)

Thanks for your feedback.

creedofhubris 03-30-2005 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though most of my chips found their way to his stack to my left

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat change.

kagame 03-31-2005 03:21 AM

keep grinding creed

creedofhubris 03-31-2005 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
keep grinding creed

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what I meant.

If you're gonna play, sit to his LEFT.

The Ram 04-02-2005 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having also been at that table, which I transferred to given that it's rare to get to play with a big name player at such a low limit and I'm a reasonable player and bankrolled enough that I could take a whooping at 2/5 and not be upset, I think the thing that I picked up most about Paul's play is his ability to make rapidfire equity calculations. Now, I say this with a degree of embarassment given that I've played online professionally for almost 18 months and still don't know enough of these numbers, but I'm fairly confident that most of the "crazy calls" Paul was making were no worse than marginally -EV, and those that were in fact "bad" were largely made in the hopes of getting a big pot with which to play bigger stacked poker.
In general however, I think Paul played a pretty conservative game. Now, before you all balk at that comment, once he got bigstacked he was still ramming and jamming a lot PF, but postflop he no longer was getting his money in w/ smallish hands/draws looking to make a big score (unless he got it in first, at which point fold equity easily balances out any lack of pot equity) but instead playing a pretty solid game based on punishing the weak and avoiding the strong: in short, he bullied everyone around to the absolute best of his abilities.
All that said, and Paul I say this with every ounce of due respect because I do admire your talent, I think you could afford to be a little less forward about how badly you intend to crush a low limit game like this. As only a decent player myself but quite likely one of the top two players at the table after you, I thought it kind of rude that after I cashed out a reasonably big stack then came by the table on my way out to just introduce myself and tell you it was great playing with you, all you could say to me was that you couldn't believe I left with money before you got to take it.
To repeat, I do respect your game and you seem like a nice guy, but that was (in my opinion) totally classless. I don't say this with any air of grievance and would welcome the chance to play at your table again, but I think you're a better man than that and should consider acting accordingly.

(for your edification paul, if you're reading this, i was the guy w/ 6c5c vs. your AcKc).

Paul Phillips 04-02-2005 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All that said, and Paul I say this with every ounce of due respect because I do admire your talent, I think you could afford to be a little less forward about how badly you intend to crush a low limit game like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I intend to crush every game. Call it a positive attitude. I don't know exactly what I said that bothered you but I'm sure it was good-natured.

You wouldn't want me to patronize you by pretending I had any other ambition but taking your money. It's a poker game; that's why I'm there.

Fnord 04-02-2005 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Someone earlier talked about throwing a party. Just the other night I played in a $.50/$1NL game online. It was mainly to blow off steam after a crap run at $25/50NL. But that didn't mean I didn't want to win. I always want to win when I play, and I imagine that's the same for you. Even for low stakes, it's not fun for me to just give away money like an idiot. In that game, I played and min-raised 100% of my hands pre-flop. And early on, I gave unlimited action to all the short buys at the table. But I played great post-flop and was busting people left and right. I left the table w/ about $650, up about $450. And every pro $.50/$1 player there was talking about the idiot lucksack fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one learn to play this g00t? Why aren't players like this owning the game?

Ulysses 04-02-2005 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one learn to play this g00t? Why aren't players like this owning the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they move up in limits.

SCfuji 04-02-2005 07:55 AM

no worries about the people that double through you just being satisfied and leaving?

id get up and leave as soon as you lost one of your early gambool buy-ins to me.

Shaman 04-02-2005 09:36 AM

Michael Jensen:

What specifically were the differences in his approach pre-accumulation and post-accumulation?

You say, "Once he had ammunition, he played exceptionally well". Can you please elaborate? How exactly did he utilize the "blocking bet"?

mr. shred 04-02-2005 11:21 AM

How do you think spirit rock wins on ub. the same way. people will criticize his play on certain hands but in the big picture he is looking to take stacks not win hands. he will play from behind knowingly and gamble. It takes a big bankroll and a lot of nerve. thats how you win money.

Fnord 04-02-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he is looking to take stacks not win hands. he will play from behind knowingly and gamble. It takes a big bankroll and a lot of nerve. thats how you win money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, explain this line of thought. I'm trying to learn how to be better than just another nut peddler in fishy games. I've been searching through archives but can't really find anything direct. Anyone care to share a link?

anduril 04-03-2005 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it kind of rude that after I cashed out a reasonably big stack then came by the table on my way out to just introduce myself and tell you it was great playing with you, all you could say to me was that you couldn't believe I left with money before you got to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know exactly what I said that bothered you but I'm sure it was good-natured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound good-natured to me. As a fellow decent NL cash game player, I agree that was not a cool thing to say, be it to a true fish or a polite player who thinks (or thought) highly of you. No one said you needed to patronize, but a simple "thanks" or "good luck to you" would've sufficed. I mean, geez, you would not have appreciated it if a better player did the same to you before you became a great player. Being a good poker player doesn't give you the right to be rude.

Paul Phillips 04-03-2005 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound good-natured to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I forgot you were there too. Another expert comes out of the woodwork! For some reason, your post captures everything I hate about 2+2 so perfectly that it has inspired me to stop posting here indefinitely.

[ QUOTE ]
a simple "thanks" or "good luck to you" would've sufficed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so sorry I didn't have time to consult with you on how to exist in the universe. I've been inept at it so far and I hear you teach such wonderful classes.

Yeti 04-03-2005 10:44 AM

Meh, calm down, the lot of you.

anduril 04-03-2005 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I forgot you were there too

[/ QUOTE ]
sweet, a disillusioned pro gets reprimanded for being rude and starts making more incorrect generalizations. Good work, Paul. BTW, your inferring sarcasm has no bearing on what happened. I was trying to be nice myself without calling you other inappropriate names. I just said what everyone else was thinking, but I couldn't care less if you don't like me. Would it matter if I ever played a hand of poker in my life? No. You're still being retarded.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm so sorry I didn't have time to consult with you on how to exist in the universe

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, saying good luck to a fellow poker player would change his existence in the universe and blow his mind. Better stick to berating and putting down everyone you see.

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you teach such wonderful classes

[/ QUOTE ]
again, your sarcasm, while confusingly unrelated, still has no bearing on the situation. Perhaps you should use your winnings to pay a speech writer.

Paul, I was seriously just trying to remind you that your comments to the other player were unnecessary, as was your response to him and to me. You went on the defensive so quick it tells me either you have to defend yourself constantly or your personality is that of a short temper. I don't really care that you go to every low-limit table planning on destroying everyone there, and I don't care that you're Paul Philips or just some guy on 2+2. I don't think I'm better than you, in fact I know you are leaps are bounds beyond my skill. But who cares? Is it so hard to shake a guys hand because he thinks highly of your poker skill? I don't think so. Chill out dude. No ones universe is going to change because you converse with them. My new dream is to meet you at the WSOP and get it all-in preflop when we both have aces and I catch a flush. The universe is changing!!

THE OUTLAW 04-03-2005 02:48 PM

Thanks for the reply Paul. I was unaware that you read and posted on this site.

Its good to know that there was a "method behind your madness". I had been wondering about this strategy long before I had played with you in this game. I usually play in the 1/2 games that are capped at 100 and 200 and have only seen this strategy applied by two players. One a tourist and one a local. Both players always end up have huge stacks.

I wish I could have played longer but I had plans with the girlfriend. When you sat down I gave her a call to delay our plans so that I could try to learn something from your play. Then after my AA hand I figured it was time to get going. I was nice playing with you. Thanks again for the reply.

THE OUTLAW

Fnord 04-03-2005 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I forgot you were there too. Another expert comes out of the woodwork! For some reason, your post captures everything I hate about 2+2 so perfectly that it has inspired me to stop posting here indefinitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cries*

Beerfund 04-03-2005 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply Paul. I was unaware that you read and posted on this site.

Its good to know that there was a "method behind your madness". I had been wondering about this strategy long before I had played with you in this game. I usually play in the 1/2 games that are capped at 100 and 200 and have only seen this strategy applied by two players. One a tourist and one a local. Both players always end up have huge stacks.

I wish I could have played longer but I had plans with the girlfriend. When you sat down I gave her a call to delay our plans so that I could try to learn something from your play. Then after my AA hand I figured it was time to get going. I was nice playing with you. Thanks again for the reply.

THE OUTLAW

[/ QUOTE ]

Open your mouth, take out PP's balls, go about your meager life.

SpaceAce 04-03-2005 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound good-natured to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
a simple "thanks" or "good luck to you" would've sufficed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so sorry I didn't have time to consult with you on how to exist in the universe. I've been inept at it so far and I hear you teach such wonderful classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has your social maturation really been retarded to the degree suggested by this post? Do us a favor, stick to your promise not to post here. We already have enough hyper-egotistical posters to go around.

I'd sure like to think this guy is an imposter.

SpaceAce

miajag81 04-03-2005 06:49 PM

What was the over/under again on Paul leaving in a huff?

jayheaps 04-03-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All that said, and Paul I say this with every ounce of due respect because I do admire your talent, I think you could afford to be a little less forward about how badly you intend to crush a low limit game like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously , that is true. The real question is... why choose to play 2-5 NL at Mirage instead of 10-20 NL at Bellagio?

I intend to crush every game. Call it a positive attitude. I don't know exactly what I said that bothered you but I'm sure it was good-natured.

You wouldn't want me to patronize you by pretending I had any other ambition but taking your money. It's a poker game; that's why I'm there.

[/ QUOTE ]

J_V 04-03-2005 07:51 PM

Paul Phillips is classless. Very simple.

J_V 04-03-2005 07:53 PM

It's amazing how you end up reeling in every thread you enter. I can' wait for a new post to "defend your actions." What it a few too many Coronas again?