Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Favorite hand to crack aces (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298100)

college kid 07-22-2005 06:21 AM

Favorite hand to crack aces

Just curious about fun stories of cracking aces and what your favorite hands are to do it--and of course the story associated with that.

Some of my fun stories, which I'm sure you all would find boring so I won't tell them, involve 43s, 42o, J3s, 87s, and my all time personal favorite hand, Big Lick-- 96 (Suited of clubs or spades being my choice).

And I think we all should take a moment of silence to thank those in the poker community who think 4:1 means invincible.

Also, at teh Excalibur, where they let you spin the wheel if your aces are cracked, the 1-2 NL is just the best for cracking aces--though I haven't been there since I moved up to 2-5 and mostly play online anyway.

Matt Williams 07-22-2005 07:35 AM

Re: Favorite hand to crack aces

One time I was playing $1-$2 no-limit at the Trop and had 2-7o while being the big blind. Three players call and the flop was 2-7-7. One guy bet $20, the others fold and I went all in with something like $150. He called and showed pocket aces. I show my hand and eventually doubled up. He was so p!ssed off, he got up in a rush to leave and tripped on one of those food carts and fell over.

The_Missile 07-22-2005 07:47 AM

A favorite of mine to crack aces is KK/QQ. I've done it once or twice with kings, and about a week ago against my friend I tripped up my QQ on the turn when he had aces. But just a couple of days ago my friend returned the favor when his KK tripped on the turn. Oh well.

stokken 07-22-2005 08:56 AM

Where do u play??
Please sit at my table!!
My favorite hand to crack 43s , 42o ,J3s, 87s,and 96s, and all its likes are the ROCKETS

galahad_187 07-22-2005 09:11 AM

my favorite hand to crack AA with is AA. i've had it happen to me once, and i did it to someone else once.

gasoltub 07-22-2005 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do u play??
Please sit at my table!!
My favorite hand to crack 43s , 42o ,J3s, 87s,and 96s, and all its likes are the ROCKETS

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the essence of the OPs post.

I believe he meant the hands that give you the most warm and fuzzy feeling when you happen to crack someones aces.

djoyce003 07-22-2005 10:59 AM

I like doing it with 22. That 2 out on the board looks so harmless and it's the ultimate insult cracking the rockets with 22.

DrFeelgoodRC 07-22-2005 11:09 AM

AA vs AA we ended all in pre flop and I hit the 4 flush.

Cerril 07-22-2005 11:56 AM

KK and AK are my favorites as well. I had a reverse-reverse against a friend with AAvQQ as the last hand of a night where he caught a Q on the flop and I caught a flush on the river.

I think re-cracking a hand that's ahead of my aces (or just having aces hold up by improving) feels a lot better than any time I crack aces.

sully4321 07-22-2005 01:15 PM

personally, i feel bad cracking aces

ChuckyB 07-22-2005 01:28 PM

I'll tell you what hand is not my favorite...AT.

Last night, 7 people left at 3-table tourney. All-in on pre-flop raiser with AA. He shows AT, ten is one of my suits. He rivers the straight. 93 per cent to win and I don't.

For as bad as 42 and the rest sound, they have a better chance than AT. (A9o is the worst I could find)

ThinkQuick 07-22-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The most money I ever lost on a hand was when a guy when runner runner bicycle with 42s to beat my (now second nut) set of aces.

Sponger15SB 07-22-2005 01:41 PM

On the bubble in a SNG I once pushed with 82o and cracked AA

Black Aces 518 07-22-2005 01:58 PM

I played a guy headsup who would push to any raise. Luckily I get AA, so I minraise. He pushes like clockwork, I yell suck it bitch (it was online) and call. He tables 84o and the flop is K44. I'm waiting for him to post in this thread so I can track him down and firebomb his house. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Sponger15SB 07-22-2005 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played a guy headsup who would push to any raise. Luckily I get AA, so I minraise. He pushes like clockwork, I yell suck it bitch (it was online) and call. He tables 84o and the flop is K44. I'm waiting for him to post in this thread so I can track him down and firebomb his house. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you actually yelled out "suck it bitch"???

You wouldn't happen to play 3 tables on 3 separate computers?

Black Aces 518 07-22-2005 02:27 PM

No, but what a great idea. Hmmm. So you have the 3 tables, AND you have the 3 monitors. Suhweet.

Regarding suck it bitch, I was very annoyed with his push every hand strategy, especially given my constant stream of 92, T4, J3, etc. When you are begging for even a mediocre hand to snap this tard off, and you get the glorious AA, and you know exactly what to do to get all his $$ in, it's a good feeling.

JKDStudent 07-22-2005 04:08 PM

I had KK. Betting capped pf and on the flop with 3-players. K comes on the turn. Showdown shows that both other players had AA.

That was fun.

college kid 07-22-2005 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do u play??
Please sit at my table!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Yeah well, if you have $500 sitting in front of you, make it $15 to go preflop, and I know you just can't lay down that high pair, I will glady see a flop with any two random cards. I'll be more than happy to sit at your table and have you walk away wondering what the hell just happened to all your chips. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

baronzeus 07-22-2005 06:16 PM

I've never cracked aces before.

adamstewart 07-22-2005 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where do u play??
Please sit at my table!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the essence of the OPs post.

I believe he meant the hands that give you the most warm and fuzzy feeling when you happen to crack someones aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think stokken understood the OP completely. And I happen to agree with him completely.

By the simple fact that the college kid made the original, <font color="white">idiotic, pointless </font> post, I think I would love have him sitting at my table.

Think about it this way: When asked, "What's your favourite hand?", anyone who answers anything different than AA is biased by their own irrational, susperstious beliefs.

Adam

college kid 07-22-2005 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never cracked aces before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: I just saw that you are a veteran and probably have been playing much longer than I have--therefore, I apologize for being so dense that I didn't see you were kidding. I'm slow sometimes... Now then, back to my post.

-----------------------
Either you haven't been playing too long or you are way too weak tight. There's no way after playing any decent amount of time that you didn't see a flop with jacks or something and set and crack aces--it just happens.

It's also fun to talk about how superior a player you are after pulling some BS like cracking them with a four duece. If I do that early in a session I order a beer, start talking so much BS, and I just wait for a hand, because let me tell you--I get more action then I can handle!

It's so fun. Nobody notices that I haven't seen a flop in three rounds, they just remember the [censored] four two. I don't call a raise because I think I am good--it's an investment to get myself into a potentially very profitable situation. I wouldn't call if I was against decent players--there's no way my implied odds are there--but with people who think hold em is two card stud and just can't fold those rockets, it's a gold mine.

Also, I will call raises with any cards against people I know will almost certainly lay a hand down if it's worse than TPTK. It's fairly easy to see who are the weak guys. Then they just get bothered that I steal so much from them, get their aces, don't let them go, even to an all in reraise on the end, and just leave the table confused and frusterated about how such a crazy idiot got all the chips.

Very few people actually pay attention to my play in other hands and notice that I do have some clue about what I am doing. And I don't go in with 42o against those guys.

college kid 07-22-2005 06:32 PM

It's not superstition, it's a matter of knowing a guy will not be able to lay down his aces even when it's quite apparent that they are no good. Not only that, he will toss away all his chips too in that situation. It's playing the person, not the cards. And as I said, I will happily sit down with any of you who don't understand that.

adamstewart 07-22-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not superstition, it's a matter of knowing a guy will not be able to lay down his aces even when it's quite apparent that they are no good. Not only that, he will toss away all his chips too in that situation. It's playing the person, not the cards. And as I said, I will happily sit down with any of you who don't understand that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're speaking gibberish now.

[ QUOTE ]
It's playing the person, not the cards

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this cliche. Please, though, explain to me how it has any relevance to "What hand do you most like to crack AA with?"

Please pay careful attention to the fact that in order to "crack somoeones' aces," there must be a showdown, and you must show down a winning hand. (In other words, the actual cards do have relevance.)

I look forward to your reply.

Adam

college kid 07-22-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're speaking gibberish now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't understand how the situation I have been describing can be profitable, then I am at a loss to help you--or just too dumb to clearly explain it. But I don't think I'm the idiot here.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate this cliche. Please, though, explain to me how it has any relevance to "What hand do you most like to crack AA with?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The cliche you hate is a cliche because it is applicable in so many situations, this being one of them. There is no relevance or correlation with this and having a favorite hand, I just know there are some fun stories people have about when they have cracked aces and was curious about some of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Please pay careful attention to the fact that in order to "crack somoeones' aces," there must be a showdown, and you must show down a winning hand. (In other words, the actual cards do have relevance.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's where I've been going wrong all these years. Thanks Einstien.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

And BTW, you wouldn't happen to play football in Carolina would you??? I know an Adam Stewart who does--and would happily argue this in person if you are him.

adamstewart 07-22-2005 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I supposed to reply to? You've yet to respond to my post. Somehow it seems you have managed to type a full page of words, but have not really conveyed explanation to my original question.

Adam

PS. And no, it must be another Adam Stewart.

adamstewart 07-22-2005 07:55 PM

Back to the original post....

This discussion is getting side-tracked and confusing. Let's get back to your original post:

[ QUOTE ]
Some of my fun stories, which I'm sure you all would find boring so I won't tell them, involve 43s, 42o, J3s, 87s, and my all time personal favorite hand, Big Lick-- 96 (Suited of clubs or spades being my choice).

And I think we all should take a moment of silence to thank those in the poker community who think 4:1 means invincible.

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) Please tell us a few of these stories. How exactly did these hands play out?

(2) Were any of the hands like 43s, 42o, J3s not played from the blinds? If so, please explain.

(3) Most of us realize that 4:1 favourites are not invincible. However, please explain where, when, and why you like to be a 4:1 underdog.

Adam

07-22-2005 07:58 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

college kid 07-22-2005 08:05 PM

Re: Back to the original post....

1. The hands almost always play out like this--I call a small raise preflop. If I don't flop trips or a straight or something awesome, I call small cheap bets to the river. Then I raise an ungodly amount on the end, putting the guy all in. The moron calls. I don't go in with crap against half way decent players who realize that something is wrong there--I am talking about finding people who just can't believe that aces have been beaten and give me their whole stack. That's how the hand invariably plays out.

2. If I find a person like the guy in the above paragraph and he and I have lots of chips, then yeah, I'll play them in any position. Of course all the other considerations have to be in place, but yeah, I'll call with anything from any position if the situation is right.

3. Because I'm getting 30:1 in implied odds.

I hope I have finally explained myself. I am not advocating playing crap because I think "any two will do." I am talking about people who donate when their aces aren't good and make up for all the missed odds and then some. I don't sit down at a table and shove preflop with 42o.

adamstewart 07-22-2005 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My all time favorite is the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This one time it was late in a tourney and the blinds were increasingly eating up stacks. Everytime I went all in preflop with a hand like KTs, A9s or any PP of 7's and above I took a big lead just by stealing the blinds.

So anyways, this one time I raised only 3BB with the very KQs. And a dude goes all in. While I'm thinking what to do, he types in "Let's dance", putting himself on a small PP. So I call, he had AA.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Turn: 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] That puts my opponent's heart in his mouth as any K, any Q, an Ace, a 9 or any hearts would win it for me.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] All the draws didn't matter after all and I type in "Thank you come again".

Actually I cracked them Bullets a couple of times the same tourney with the same K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and once more in a heads-up tourney the same day.

My all in time unfavorite is the AK. Heads up tourney, I go all in with AK, the dude has AA. Flop KKx, turn: x, river: A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, there are a lot of MySpace people and Sports Illustrated readers around here lately.

Adam

college kid 07-22-2005 08:11 PM

While it sounds like a fun day with KQ of hearts, I think you mistyped the aforementioned hand. You have two pair there, he has a straight. And I hate slick too when I run into aces--it's so good for tourneys in every situation except against aces--then it really sucks balls.

baronzeus 07-22-2005 08:37 PM

I don't get it. Didn't you lose to a straight?

mdeck 07-22-2005 08:37 PM

Luckily they seem to only have found the General, and Internet boards. Hopefully it stays that way.

MCS 07-28-2005 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My all time favorite is the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This one time it was late in a tourney and the blinds were increasingly eating up stacks. Everytime I went all in preflop with a hand like KTs, A9s or any PP of 7's and above I took a big lead just by stealing the blinds.

So anyways, this one time I raised only 3BB with the very KQs. And a dude goes all in. While I'm thinking what to do, he types in "Let's dance", putting himself on a small PP. So I call, he had AA.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Turn: 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] That puts my opponent's heart in his mouth as any K, any Q, an Ace, a 9 or any hearts would win it for me.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] All the draws didn't matter after all and I type in "Thank you come again".

Actually I cracked them Bullets a couple of times the same tourney with the same K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and once more in a heads-up tourney the same day.

My all in time unfavorite is the AK. Heads up tourney, I go all in with AK, the dude has AA. Flop KKx, turn: x, river: A.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have made at least one error in telling this story.

I feel like Encyclopedia Brown solving "The Case of the Cracked Aces." How did Encyclopedia know CANUCKS POCKER's story never happened?

(and yes, a couple other people pointed this out as well)

golferbrent 07-30-2005 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious about fun stories of cracking aces and what your favorite hands are to do it--and of course the story associated with that.

Also, at teh Excalibur, where they let you spin the wheel if your aces are cracked, the 1-2 NL is just the best for cracking aces--though I haven't been there since I moved up to 2-5 and mostly play online anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite beat of A-A was with 4-5 of clubs in a 15/30 limit game. The hand played like this...

UTG player raises for the 4th consecutive time and UTG+1 cold calls the raise and I 3-bet with 4-5c. Pot gets capped and we see the flop 3 handed. Having played with the capper a lot in the past including already alot tonight... I know he can cap with alot of hands and it doesnt have to be A-A.

The flop comes 7-5-2 with one club. The capper leads and the CC'r folds and I raise, he raises, I raise, he raises, I raise, he finally just calls.

The turn is a 4 and I have hit my gin card. Capper leads again and I raise, he just calls.

River is a 10 and he checks and calls and MHIG!!

The funny thing was on the end when he called he said "Did you flop a set?"
I reply "No but two pair must be good!"

It was a fun hand that I got lucky on... but it did wonders for my image... as I play 99% of the time live against a very regular lineup and turning over a play like that certainly makes them pay me off even more!!

drgnfly8 07-30-2005 12:09 PM

Re: Back to the original post....

[ QUOTE ]
1. The hands almost always play out like this--I call a small raise preflop. If I don't flop trips or a straight or something awesome, I call small cheap bets to the river. Then I raise an ungodly amount on the end, putting the guy all in. The moron calls. I don't go in with crap against half way decent players who realize that something is wrong there--I am talking about finding people who just can't believe that aces have been beaten and give me their whole stack. That's how the hand invariably plays out.

2. If I find a person like the guy in the above paragraph and he and I have lots of chips, then yeah, I'll play them in any position. Of course all the other considerations have to be in place, but yeah, I'll call with anything from any position if the situation is right.

3. Because I'm getting 30:1 in implied odds.

I hope I have finally explained myself. I am not advocating playing crap because I think "any two will do." I am talking about people who donate when their aces aren't good and make up for all the missed odds and then some. I don't sit down at a table and shove preflop with 42o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, let's analyze the guy's mistakes with AA which even allows this ugly scenario to unfold:

1. He bets too little pre-flop. Why the hell isn't he raising at least 3xBB or 5xBB if there is action ahead of him.

2. He is not betting enough on the flop - assuming a non-dangerous flop, he should be betting at least Pot Size or 1.5xPot Size. If the flop is dangerous, why the hell is he calling any large bets.

3. Never call a massive all-in bet with AA unless you have at least trips. Especially if it comes on the river.

07-30-2005 01:23 PM

ive never done this or seen this happen, but cracking aces with another pair of aces by getting a flush would be pretty funny.

DesignProdigy 07-31-2005 11:53 AM

i'm going to go with the other set of aces.. hitting 4 suited cards on the board for the flush

utmt40 07-31-2005 12:25 PM

The other two Aces.