Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   A harder problem...one for GoT (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=108981)

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:05 PM

A harder problem...one for GoT

Ran across this problem a couple of weeks ago, and found it quite challenging.

Question 1: What is the sum of all numerical answers in this quiz (including this one)?

Question 2: How many questions in this quiz have an answer of True?

Question 3: True or False - Question 1 has the highest numerical answer in this quiz.

Question 4: How many answers are the same as this one (including this one)?

Question 5: True or False - All numerical answers in this quiz are positive.

Question 6: What is the average of all numerical answers in this quiz (including this one)?

Question 7: True or False - The answer to question 4 is greater than the answer to question 2.

Question 8: What is the answer to question 1 divided by the answer to question 8?

Question 9: True or False - The answer to question 6 is equal to the difference between answers 2 and 4, minus the product of answers 8 and 4.

Question 10: What is the answer to this question?

aloiz

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:08 PM

Re: A harder problem...one for GoT

Man, now I'm going to have to go find a pencil...Can't believe I don't have one in my office. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

GoT

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:21 PM

Question: Can Q10 have more than one answer??

GoT

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:25 PM

I don't think I'll answer that just yet. If no one seems to be getting anywhere I'll throw out a few hints. However I will say as stated you should have enough information to answer the question without having to make any major assumptions.

aloiz

daryn 08-02-2004 07:25 PM

#1 is impossible to answer

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:26 PM

#1 is impossible to answer

No it's not. But #8 IS. This quiz is flawed. #8 has no solution.

GoT

jwvdcw 08-02-2004 07:26 PM

I think every question is impossible...eating dinner now, will look at it again later.

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:26 PM

Almost impossible but not quite. You're overlooking one case.

aloiz

daryn 08-02-2004 07:28 PM

don't give me that infinity bull

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:29 PM

No infinity is not an answer to any question.

aloiz

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:31 PM

Okay, here's my answers assuming that Q10 can have 2 answers. HOWEVER, I think Q8 is flawed. But assuming I ignore that and pretend it's not, here's my answers:

<font color="white">1: 0
2: 2
3: False
4: 2
5: False
6: 0
7: False
8: 0*
9: True
10: True, -4

*The answer to #1 has to be zero or infinity, and for the sake of this quizlet, it's not going to be infinity. So #1 equals zero, and also has to be the square of #8, which states "What is the answer to question 1 divided by the answer to question 8?" This would mean that the answer to #8 also has to be zero, HOWEVER if #8 did equal zero, then that would mean the answer to #8 would be zero divided by zero, which has no solution. Therefore, the question is flawed.

I think...

Edit: I guess #1 could also be 1/infinity or -1/infinity... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Edit: Just got a from the giver of the quiz saying my answer to Q1 is wrong, so I guess there goes that! Back to the drawing board!

GoT

daryn 08-02-2004 07:34 PM

what is your logic? that the answer to 1 is infinity? i don't buy it.

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:35 PM

Perhaps the wording of question one is a little confusing. A hint: answer to question 1 = answer to question 1 + sum(answers to all other numerical answers in quiz). Hope that makes things slightly more clear. In other words, Q1 does not have to be 0.

aloiz

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:37 PM

hint: answer to question 1 = answer to question 1 + sum(answers to all other numerical answers in quiz).

That would make the answer to Q1 wrong though... It either has to be 0, inifinity, 1/infinity, or -1/infinity... If none of those are the answer, then could you reword the question correctly???

GoT

daryn 08-02-2004 07:37 PM

yea number 1 must be zero, you're right.

The Armchair 08-02-2004 07:37 PM

(Answers deleted) Nevermind. I screwed up.

daryn 08-02-2004 07:39 PM

i'm with GOT here. as the question stands, the answer can't be a non-zero integer.

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:41 PM

Your answers to 1 and 4 are definitely wrong, which just screws up the rest.

GoT

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:42 PM

Alright if sum of answers to all other questions = 0 could the answer to Q1 be say 5 (5 = 5+0)? Although the question could be read as a re-occuring sequence it's not suppose to be.

aloiz

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:43 PM

as the question stands, the answer can't be a non-zero integer.

Agreed. And since it can't be zero either, since that would make Q8 unanswerable, it has to be a non-integer solution as worded.

GoT

daryn 08-02-2004 07:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Alright if sum of answers to all other questions = 0 could the answer to Q1 be say 5 (5 = 5+0)?

aloiz

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 07:49 PM

Edit: Nevermind.

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:49 PM

yes.

Not a reoccuring sequence. Let me rephrase the clarification. Answer to question 1 = Answer to question 1 + sum of all other numerical answers NOT INCLUDING QUESTION 1

Now does 5 = 5+0 satisfy that?

aloiz

daryn 08-02-2004 07:54 PM

no.

daryn 08-02-2004 07:55 PM

if the sum of all the other questions is 0, then the answer to #1 is zero, not 5.

jwvdcw 08-02-2004 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes.

Not a reoccuring sequence. Let me rephrase the clarification. Answer to question 1 = Answer to question 1 + sum of all other numerical answers NOT INCLUDING QUESTION 1

Now does 5 = 5+0 satisfy that?

aloiz

[/ QUOTE ]

well then why did you specifically type 'including this one' next to it??

aloiz 08-02-2004 07:58 PM

That was supposed to make it clearer. If it had just been the sum off all numerical answers someone would have inevitably asked if that included the answer to question 1. It does.

aloiz

aloiz 08-02-2004 08:03 PM

Yes 0 is a possiblity, and so is 1,2,3...
a = a + x
where a = answer to question 1
x = sum of answers to all other question not including question 1

Now let's do some basic algebra. Subtract 'a' from both sides and we get x = 0. So what can you conclude from q1?? All other numerical answers have to add up to 0.

aloiz

daryn 08-02-2004 08:06 PM

i agree. also, a = 0.

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 08:11 PM

No daryn, he's right.

Let's say the sums of all the other numerical questions besides Q1 add up to zero. Then we could make Q1 anything we wanted. It still could not be negative because of Q8, and I believe it would still have to be the largest numerical answer possible because of a combination of other questions, but it could be, say 36. 5 other numbers that add to zero plus 36 = 36. No need to repeat. It works. We both thought it had to be zero or infinity first because after we added it to itself, it woudl turn out to be something different and then it would be incorrect, but in this case it isn't; it's the same number and therefore an acceptable answer.

I still have issues with this quiz and think there is an error unless Q10 can have both a numberical answer and a T or F answer, in which case I have a solution for all answers.

Could you PM me your solutions aloiz so I can see if they get around the contradictions I'm finding? I'm done trying this quiz the way it's currently worded.

GoT

daryn 08-02-2004 08:12 PM

so you're saying, just choose some arbitrary answer for #1? it's not that i didn't understand that, it's that i see that as bogus.

aloiz 08-02-2004 08:13 PM

What about this equation a = a + x says that a = 0? It is possible that a = 0, but not necessary. The only thing necessary for that equation to be satisfied is that x = 0.
If you're really serious about what you're saying and not just dicking around, a little more depth into your line of reasoning would be nice. Replies like 'no', while amusing do not help me understand where you're coming from, as most likely this is just a semantics problem (although not if you agree with the equation above).

aloiz

aloiz 08-02-2004 08:14 PM

Q1 cannot be determined without answering other questions first. The only thing question 1 tells you right off the bat is that the sum of all other answers must be 0. That should lead you to the answer of another question.

aloiz

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 08:14 PM

so you're saying, just choose some arbitrary answer for #1?

Almost. At first it seems like it could be arbitrary, but it can't quite be. I believe it will have to be larger than any other answer, and also a perfect square. Which perfect square hinges on whether Q9 is true. If it is, then there is no perfect square that satisfies the quiz. If Q9 is false, then again I can't find a solution for the quiz without Q10 having both a T/F and numerical answer.

GoT

daryn 08-02-2004 08:15 PM

it's not that i don't understand basic 7th grade algebra, it's just that what is a? if you are just picking some arbitrary number for a, i see it as a cop-out.

daryn 08-02-2004 08:16 PM

i understand, but basically you are choosing what you want the answer to be.

aloiz 08-02-2004 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Q9 is false, then again I can't find a solution for the quiz with Q10 having both a T/F and numerical answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Q10 only has 1 answer. It could be numerical or T/F.

aloiz

GuyOnTilt 08-02-2004 08:17 PM

i understand, but basically you are choosing what you want the answer to be.

Only if Q9 is false. If Q9 is true, then Q1 has to have one specific answer.

GoT

aloiz 08-02-2004 08:18 PM

If you pick an arbitrary number and then go through the rest of the quiz you won't be able to answer all the question (unless you pick the right number). GoT is right about the answer being a perfect square.

aloiz

daryn 08-02-2004 08:18 PM

what i mean is, you should be able to, upon hearing the answers, ask how you got them.

for instance, if one question is, what is the average of all other answers, and you got 15, i'd like to be shown where you added up all the other answers, divided by the number of questions, etc.

but if i ask, how did you get #1? i would be told, look, it just is.