Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How many states have you been to? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343400)

Danenania 09-24-2005 11:22 AM

How many states have you been to?

In the spirit of the other states thread. Anyone been to all 50? 44 for me. Haven't been to Alaska, Arkansas, Rhode Island, Kansas, North Dakota, or Oklahoma. Pretty scattered... it won't be easy but now that I'm so close I figure I have to close in on the rest of them someday.

09-24-2005 11:27 AM

Re: How many states have you been to?

i have never been to Boston or LA

MrTrik 09-24-2005 11:27 AM

47 for me. All but Hawaii, Maine, and Rhode Isle. I'll probably knock off Hawaii within a year or two since it's high on the wife's vacation destinations. As for the other two, who knows if or when.

istewart 09-24-2005 11:27 AM

I lose horribly in this game.

Although there are some states that you clearly should never go to, and you should lose points for having gone to these select few.

MrTrik 09-24-2005 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, Boston isn't a state btw. Heh, neither is LA.

I must've missed the joke.

09-24-2005 11:28 AM

I've been to more countries than states. And I'm sure most people here can claim the same.

09-24-2005 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, Boston isn't a state btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

theben 09-24-2005 11:33 AM

about 35

GuyOnTilt 09-24-2005 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been to more countries than states. And I'm sure most people here can claim the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

09-24-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds like a ridiculous thing to say.

tdarko 09-24-2005 12:20 PM

yeah i am going to have to count the states i haven't been to...washington, oregon, n & s dakota, wyoming, idaho, montana, w. virginia, virginia, maryland.
i have been to 40.

jdl22 09-24-2005 12:20 PM

we counting airports?

Without airports I've been to 10 (in order of appearance):
Oregon, California, Washington, Hawai'i, Arizona, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York

I've also been to Washington DC. New Jersey should barely count. I took a train from Pittsburgh to New York that passed through New Jersey and also was briefly on Ellis Island which I'm told is technically in New Jersey.

Counting airports I've also been in Illinois, Ohio, Georgia, Texas, and Colorado.

Thythe 09-24-2005 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I would hardly think most people have been to several dozen countries.

PITTM 09-24-2005 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not me...17 states, 5 countries...

california, nevada, arizona, washington, oregon, kansas, missouri, illinois, wisconsin, iowa, indiana, new york, mass., new jersey, utah, colorado, minnesota.

united states of america, canada, mexico, germany, italy. states win.

rj

jacki 09-24-2005 04:14 PM

In order of appearance:
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Louisiana
Minnesota
Michigan
Florida
Georgia
Colorado
Nevada

That's it I think.

KDawgCometh 09-24-2005 04:18 PM

does driving through count? and what would DC count as, virginia, maryland, or weird place that knows no state

09-24-2005 04:25 PM

I'm more countries than states. (England, Ireland, Holland, France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Italy, Sri Lanka, India, Belize, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq, Oman, Malaysia, Indonesia, China (sorta, Hong Kong but pre-97), Egypt, Canada and the USA vs Washington State, California, Illinois and New York).

Skip Brutale 09-24-2005 04:28 PM

Not counting states merely flown over, I've been to California, Nevada, Oregon, Alaska, Texas, Kansas, Oaklahoma, Arizona, Arkansas, Montana, Idaho. Probably some other [censored] in the Idaho Montana region I'm forgetting.

StevieG 09-24-2005 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does driving through count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you stopped to do something. Tourist traps (South of the Border in SC, Corn Palace in Iowa) count, chain restaurants not unique to that state do not.

Airport transfers definitely do not count.

In any case, 37/50. Big Sky country kicks my ass.

kerssens 09-24-2005 07:37 PM

Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Illinois, Missouri, Florida. I think that equals 10.

jakethebake 09-24-2005 07:42 PM

TX, FL, MS, LA, VA, NM, AZ, AR, NV, CA, AL, NY, MA, NE, ND, IA, IN, AK, GA, CT, MD, UT, KS, CO...probably a couple or three more.

send_the_msg 09-24-2005 07:46 PM

i fit under the more countries than states... just asked my pops and he's been to all but oklahoma... wtf is in oklahoma anyway

tonypaladino 09-24-2005 07:52 PM

New York, New Jersey, Pensylvania, Deleware, Maryland, Virgina, South Carolina, Florida

8. 9 if DC counts as a state

TT_fold 09-24-2005 08:01 PM

I've been to so few states... CT, RI, NY, MA, VT, NH, ME, PA, NJ, VA, MD, DE... never left the Northeast or the U.S.

Thanks to a word that cannot be spoken in OOT, though, I hope to travel all over the place in the upcoming year.

Jimbo 09-24-2005 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i fit under the more countries than states... just asked my pops and he's been to all but oklahoma... wtf is in oklahoma anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Your real father.

jakethebake 09-24-2005 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TX, FL, MS, LA, VA, NM, AZ, AR, NV, CA, AL, NY, MA, NE, ND, IA, IN, AK, GA, CT, MD, UT, KS, CO...probably a couple or three more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot DE, NJ, PA, ID, MN, MO, IL...

Jimbo 09-24-2005 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I would hardly think most people have been to several dozen countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highlighted the key word in the initial quote. By "here" I believe he meant Denmark.

Cubswin 09-24-2005 08:29 PM

about 20-25 states.... ive actually visited more countries than that [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Cubswin 09-24-2005 08:31 PM

haha....didnt read you responce til after the fact... im in that club as well [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BCPVP 09-24-2005 08:43 PM

Only 9, but I'm only 20 so there's plenty of time.

Danenania 09-24-2005 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you stopped to do something. Tourist traps (South of the Border in SC, Corn Palace in Iowa) count, chain restaurants not unique to that state do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your rules are pretty strict. I count airports and drive throughs but not flyovers. Just have to set foot there.

kerssens 09-24-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your rules are pretty strict. I count airports and drive throughs but not flyovers. Just have to set foot there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I count drive throughs but not airports.

Jimbo 09-24-2005 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. Generally when in the airport you actually set foot on the ground of the State in which you have landed. On a true drivethrough your feet never touch the ground. So if anything your defining criteria should be the opposite.

fluxrad 09-24-2005 08:57 PM

31. The only state I've been to in the South is Louisiana (On purpose). It might be 32 but I honestly can't remember if I've been to Mass.

kerssens 09-24-2005 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. Generally when in the airport you actually set foot on the ground of the State in which you have landed. On a true drivethrough your feet never touch the ground. So if anything your defining criteria should be the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

driving through you actually see the state, you either drive though the cities or see all the names on exits. if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

Jimbo 09-24-2005 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

driving through you actually see the state, you either drive though the cities or see all the names on exits. if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you were a passenger and slept all the way across the State then it wouldn't count. Is this correct?

touchfaith 09-24-2005 09:01 PM

kerssens 09-24-2005 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you were a passenger and slept all the way across the State then it wouldn't count. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't count it. I've also never driven through a state and not stopped for gas or something, but I've only driven through states in the west and they're all much bigger than eastern states so you pretty much have to stop.

StevieG 09-24-2005 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interstate highways all feel the same, too, hence the rule.

You might as well say you've been to Alaska because you saw pictures on the Discovery channel.

To say you've been to a state, you need to experience it first hand. That could be as quick as stopping for pit BBQ in Oklahoma on a state road or taking a quick snapshot of you and your road trip buddies touching the St Louis Arch. But it has to be something.

mblax10 09-24-2005 09:18 PM

Driving through the state should definitley count. I've driven through Tennesse many times on different routes, but have never actually stopped their other than food/gas. Earlier this year I went to New Jersey for the first time for work. Got off the plane went straight to the office. Worked 2 long days only leaving the office to go across the street to the hotel. I would consider my Tennesse visits much more meaningful.

Still haven't decided if I get to count Colorado when I have a layover in Denver next month. I'm leanng towards no.

Been to 27 states (Including a weekend in North Dakota, everybody should visit Fargo sometime). Nevada will make 28 next month. Also, DC, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas & 8 countries.