Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Draws Galore (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=371093)

MEbenhoe 11-03-2005 02:08 PM

Draws Galore

5 Handed

Villian has been playing very TAGish and would classify him as playing much like a typical 2+2er

I have As Ts

I raise, 3 folds, Villian calls in BB

Flop is Js 8d 9s
Villian checks, I bet, he raises, I 3 bet, he calls

Turn 6h
Villian checks, I check(at this point its pretty likely I need to improve to win)

River Ah
Villian bets, I .... raise or call?

how was the turn check?

flopmonster 11-03-2005 02:32 PM

Re: Draws Galore

No raise here he likely had ax paired on flop.... I really like the turn check

11-03-2005 02:34 PM

Call. I think he's folding a lot of worse hands to a raise. I don't think your typical tag calls with worse often enough. And it's very possible that you're beat.

11-03-2005 02:37 PM

Call the river. I don't think a raise gets you much here. If you are ahead, I don't think he calls you. If he can beat TP, he will raise you.

I like the check on the turn as well. I don't trust his check as a sign of weakness, more likely a check raise opportunity. Get your free card, after all, you paid for it.

LLL

butters 11-03-2005 02:38 PM

heads-up i'd fire again on the turn hoping to take it down (and a ton of outs if not). after the check, i'd just call the river bet. the range of hands he could have here is pretty high, depending on his read of you.

brettbrettr 11-03-2005 02:42 PM

I'd raise.

brettbrettr 11-03-2005 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
heads-up i'd fire again on the turn hoping to take it down (

[/ QUOTE ]

If villan had simply called the flop bet, I'd do this. Since he c/r'd, I'd prob take hero's line.

AaronS 11-03-2005 02:54 PM

I like your line. I would just call the river. After your turn check, he probably puts you on AK, AQ, or KQs (maybe TT also), so for him the ace is a pretty scary card to be bluffing at. I think you will win much less than 55% of the time he calls your raise (isn't that the rule from HPFAP?)

butters 11-03-2005 02:55 PM

you don't think there's a good chance villan is f.o.s. here and is making a move (maybe with a draw), against what he might view as a steal attempt? i think a bet on the turn here is basically a freeroll a good % of the time.

brettbrettr 11-03-2005 03:04 PM

He might be FOS, but I'm giving just a little more credence to the fact that he's called an UTG raise. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate betting the turn, it really depends on a more solid read of villan though.

sean c 11-03-2005 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't think there's a good chance villan is f.o.s. here and is making a move (maybe with a draw), against what he might view as a steal attempt? i think a bet on the turn here is basically a freeroll a good % of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What draw could villian have that would fold to a turn bet? I think you have very little fold equity here.

@bsolute_luck 11-03-2005 03:13 PM

i'd like to raise, but i don't think i could fold to a 3-bet.

shant 11-03-2005 03:14 PM

I'd just call. If he's playing well, he'll fold the hands you beat and 3-bet the hands you lose to.

jason_t 11-03-2005 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Villian has been playing very TAGish and would classify him as playing much like a typical 2+2er

[/ QUOTE ]

Call.

W. Deranged 11-03-2005 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He might be FOS, but I'm giving just a little more credence to the fact that he's called an UTG raise. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate betting the turn, it really depends on a more solid read of villan though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Brett. We should take the free card. Usually when opponents check-raise they have some kind of real hand; most players generally don't check-raise with draws. Also, in short-handed games, particularly when the pot gets heads-up, most players don't check-raise the flop with hands they intend to fold.

We three-bet the flop because we had a ton of equity with our superdraw, but one of the auxiliary effects was to give us the option, if desired, of taking a free card on the turn. We should probably do it.

krimson 11-03-2005 03:25 PM

Nice hand, call the river. Raising would be spewing imo, it's very likely he has 2-pair. If not, he is probably folding worse hands, other than specifically weaker aces, which is unlikely, so we're not getting value here that often by raising.

W. Deranged 11-03-2005 03:33 PM

I don't really like a raise here. I think if villain plays like a 2+2er he'll be able to fold to a raise with anything less than an A. A significant portion of the time he has two pair or better (either aces up or a missed turn check-raise). We don't have that great a kicker, so a river raise is only ideal against hands like A7-A2, which seem very, very unlikely based on the flop action.

brettbrettr 11-03-2005 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd like to raise, but i don't think i could fold to a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, its a super easy fold to a three bet. But I tend to agree with everyone who says that he's not calling with anything we beat. So, I retract my earlier vote for "raise."