Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Most talented player at WSOP final table (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384069)

11-23-2005 03:15 PM

Most talented player at WSOP final table

Who, in your opinion, had the most ability as a poker player, regardless of results, at the final table of this year's wsop?

lonn19 11-23-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Most talented player at WSOP final table

Matusow, not even close.

troymclur 11-23-2005 03:31 PM

black is close. Don't forget, he was at the final table when Stu Ungar won. But then again, i've never seen any of these guys play more than a handful of...hands.

TheMainEvent 11-23-2005 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheMainEvent 11-23-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
black is close. Don't forget, he was at the final table when Stu Ungar won. But then again, i've never seen any of these guys play more than a handful of...hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Black seemed like he was playing good but I can't give him too much credit after his atrocious table talk in the hand where he had a set against Kanter.

lonn19 11-23-2005 03:42 PM

Black comes in second after Matusow.

11-23-2005 03:46 PM

Daniel Bergsdorf.

Oh, alright, Matusow.

UATrewqaz 11-23-2005 04:09 PM

1. Matusow
2. Black
3. Barch
4. Hachem

The rest were nothing special at all.

betgo 11-23-2005 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Matusow
2. Black
3. Barch
4. Hachem

The rest were nothing special at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were the four best, and you order was the consensus. I heard discussions about Hachem being a strong player with a good shot at it before the final table started, and he may be stronger than people give him credit for.

Bergsdorf is apparently a pro, but there is nothing based on the TV clips or his reputation indicate he is a particularly strong tournament player.

mlagoo 11-23-2005 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Black seemed like he was playing good but I can't give him too much credit after his atrocious table talk in the hand where he had a set against Kanter.

[/ QUOTE ]

from the cardplayer broadcast, black played a really excellent the whole way.

however, i agree that his table talk in that hand was awful. just stfu and let kanter pay you off.

SoftcoreRevolt 11-23-2005 04:40 PM

Voted for Mike, but I wish I had voted for Kanter.

4 High 11-23-2005 04:42 PM

Black
Matusow
Barch

mlagoo 11-23-2005 04:48 PM

btw who voted for lazar [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

11-23-2005 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw who voted for lazar

[/ QUOTE ]
He probably logged on and voted for himself.

maryfield48 11-23-2005 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from the cardplayer broadcast, black played a really excellent the whole way.

however, i agree that his table talk in that hand was awful. just stfu and let kanter pay you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the information on the hands that you gleaned listening to the broadcast, or from Helmuth constantly saying he was the best player?

The K-J all-in play over Barch's raise (the day before the FT) was pretty questionable too, IMO.

betgo 11-23-2005 06:15 PM

Matusow is clearly the best, and he might have won it if he hadn't lost the KK vs. AA hand. It's fortunate he didn't, since everyone at the 2/4 tables would try to act like him.

Hachem is the most underrated. I don't know why 3 people have voted for Dannenman.

jusander 11-23-2005 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow is clearly the best, and he might have won it if he hadn't lost the KK vs. AA hand. It's fortunate he didn't, since everyone at the 2/4 tables would try to act like him.

Hachem is the most underrated. I don't know why 3 people have voted for Dannenman.

[/ QUOTE ]
That board should show 100% Matusow, no doubt about that he was the most talented player on that table.

Imo after that is goes like this:

1. Matusow
2-3. Hachem and Black
4. Barch

greatwhite 11-23-2005 07:11 PM

Matusow (easily)
Black
Barch
Hachem
Bergdorf (The guy no one noticed who was there)
Dannemon
Kondracki
Lazar
Kanter
I think this is pretter accurate. I really didn't see enough of Kondracki to judge his play, He didn't look bad, playing as the short-stack at the final table though.

Slappz 11-23-2005 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, matusow is famous.

siccjay 11-23-2005 08:49 PM

Kanter got votes. LMAO

11-23-2005 10:03 PM

I admit Black's speechplay when he had the set against Kanter was a big mistake, but most people don't realise that his speech play had paid big big dividends earlier in the tournament. Do you remember the 'pass the sugar' hand against Joe Hachem, where Hachem doubles up through Black? Directly after that Black raised on the button with AJ, and Dannenman dwelled for a long time before calling from the bb. The flop came J83 or something similar (Jack high anyway), and Dannenman went to bet but then decided better and checked. Immediately Black went all in and Dannenman went in to the tank. He was about to fold when Black stood up, said 'I'm going for a cigarette, when I come back tell me if I'm still in the tournament', and after this Dannenman called. Great speech play. Black had put him on tens after the big dwell up, and somehow managed to make him call. It was like watching a snake charmer at work.

11-23-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matusow, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, matusow is famous.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a reason he's famous.

Check it out Christmas Eve.

11-24-2005 12:43 AM

All I know is I was very dissapointed with heads up. Danneman is a nice enough guy, but anyone who giggles like a giddy school girl when playing 7.5 and kills any and all drama for the heads up does not deserve to finish that high.

A_Junglen 11-24-2005 01:36 AM

ESPN mentioned that Kanter had won an online tournament for 25k earlier. Does anybody have any info on that?

MikeSmith 11-24-2005 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kanter got votes. LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

Im only hoping it was done as a joke lol.

11-24-2005 02:13 AM

Matusow then Black are the best for sure. Kanter is possibly the worst ever to cash (followed closely by Tiffany Williamson), let alone make the final table followed closely by Dannenman.

primetime32 11-24-2005 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN mentioned that Kanter had won an online tournament for 25k earlier. Does anybody have any info on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

people are still grumpy because he booted their loverboy raymer. No one seems to remember the sucks out raymer had to get the WSOP title last year.

Kanter wasn't the best player at that table but i am geussing he is alot better than most of you guys think. Personally, i can't judge a poker player based on 4 or 5 hands that were selectively chosen by ESPN for entertainment purposes.

mythrilfox 11-24-2005 03:59 AM

Frankly, I don't see why you all think Matusow is "clearly" the best player. There is simply no excuse for the way he conducted his play after the KK hand. A player that manages to be the best in the world when on his A game but is only on his A game 10% of the time deserves no more respect than Kanter or Dannenman.

11-24-2005 04:47 AM

kondracki how come the kid gets no love?

A_Junglen 11-24-2005 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kondracki how come the kid gets no love?

[/ QUOTE ]

because they showed less hands with him than I have fingers.

11-24-2005 09:17 AM

haha goddamn hilarious man hilarious

Quake1028 11-24-2005 09:32 AM

Matusow, then Black, then Barch, then Hachem.

henrikrh 11-24-2005 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matusow, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11-25-2005 11:58 AM

people are just sheep and say matusow cause he is famous.

scott lazaar was by far the best player at the final table...

utmt40 11-25-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wetdog 11-25-2005 01:00 PM

I thought Barch played the most solid game, so I voted for him. But after review, I think he played cards; Black and Matusow played poker. Black's KJo vs Barch's JJ may not have been his finest hour. Matusow played very reckless as if he had a plane to catch. They both played aggressively as opposed to Barch's safer style. I think there are points to be made for all of them.

Joey Legend 11-25-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matusow, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, matusow is famous.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a reason he's famous.

Check it out Christmas Eve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he's loud.

Bosox 11-25-2005 06:02 PM

I just finished watching a download of the entire WSOP and was going to start my own thread on this but apparently there's no need. KANTER IS THE WORST PLAYER TO EVER FINISH DAY ONE OF THE WSOP. That is all.

11-26-2005 04:10 AM

What terrible results!!! I mean, i expect Matusow to be at the top, because i think he is the most talented, but so much? Black definetely deserves more as he is completely competent.
Mike

Publos Nemesis 11-26-2005 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who, in your opinion, had the most ability as a poker player, regardless of results, at the final table of this year's wsop?

[/ QUOTE ]

and the mouth pwns.