Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Hurricane Katrina: Where to Donate (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=326460)

Zeno 08-31-2005 01:46 AM

Hurricane Katrina: Where to Donate

Red Cross

I'm sure there are other worthy organizations that also need money to help out the victims. Perhaps others can post additional links.

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka 08-31-2005 01:50 AM

Re: Hurricane Katrina: Where to Donate

God, I wish I could donate more than I did. Thanks for the link Zeno.

garyjacosta 08-31-2005 01:53 AM

Do you know if there is any need for volunteer help? I am from the area and all my family is still there. I am serioulsy considering moving back just to pitch in.

sweetjazz 08-31-2005 02:01 AM

Phone numbers for other charities which will be helping in the recovery effort can be found here.

OtisTheMarsupial 08-31-2005 05:18 PM

United Blood Services - donate blood
http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/

Red Cross - donate money
http://www.redcross.org/

Hurricane Relief Fund for Animals - donate money or adoptive home http://www.bestfriends.org/

ThaSaltCracka 08-31-2005 05:19 PM

Can we sticky this?

Sponger15SB 08-31-2005 05:19 PM

BTW there is going to be a $5 and $20 R&A charity tourney on Pstars where they are matching the contributions. So I'll probably donate some money to that knowing it will be doubled cause I can't really afford to send much.

Oh well for poker content....

Just check the zoo.

ZBTHorton 08-31-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty 08-31-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we sticky this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stickied threads need to be locked. Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

It's, in part, an advertiser issue (since their ads are at the tops of the page).

ThaSaltCracka 08-31-2005 05:44 PM

lock it then, all we need is the adress.

Dynasty 08-31-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lock it then, all we need is the adress.

[/ QUOTE ]

People will be posting additional links. Others will have questions.

This is a thread which will be regularly bumped over the next week.

ThaSaltCracka 08-31-2005 05:49 PM

fair enough.

MyTurn2Raise 08-31-2005 05:59 PM

bump

Slacker13 08-31-2005 06:04 PM

Just to let everyone know, Myself, Granny Mae and JasonHoldem have organized a relief tourney. Here are the first of the details, more will be posted later. LINKY

We get alot more for our money this way.

Sponger15SB 08-31-2005 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

People read in threaded mode? I pity them.

peachy 08-31-2005 06:10 PM

donated at some local places here that r sending relief...so im sure if u check around where u r local banks/grocery stores/etc are doing the same!

DemonDeac 08-31-2005 06:11 PM

thanks for the link

just donated what i could

kipin 08-31-2005 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump after a 10 minute gap in posting seems to be unrequired.

Harv72b 08-31-2005 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pledging here & now to donate 100% of my poker profits from this coming weekend. I think it'd be really cool if others who can afford to do the same.

jstnrgrs 08-31-2005 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pledging here & now to donate 100% of my poker profits from this coming weekend. I think it'd be really cool if others who can afford to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be happy to do the same, but that would probably mean that I would be taking about $150 from the charities, so I think this is not the best way for me to help.

jstnrgrs 08-31-2005 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can we sticky this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stickied threads need to be locked. Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

It's, in part, an advertiser issue (since their ads are at the tops of the page).

[/ QUOTE ]

Durring the Brown Trout FF draft, the thread was stickied to the top of sporting events for about 2 weeks without being locked.

jstnrgrs 08-31-2005 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

People read in threaded mode? I pity them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there another way to tell what post is in response to what?

yellowjack 08-31-2005 08:37 PM

Hey guys I don't want to sound like an ass, but does anyone know of an organization that is matching donations? If not I'll just donate to the Red Cross.

MrTrik 08-31-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know if there is any need for volunteer help? I am from the area and all my family is still there. I am serioulsy considering moving back just to pitch in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hit the NBC Today show site there is a link to a clearing house for volunteers. They interviewed Jean Chasky today on this. She mentioned that the only volunteer work through those organizations will be 'trained' volunteers. She was making the point that the volunteers they are looking for right now need to be trained in hazardous duty and other things because the work will be dangerous for some time to come.

Good luck though. I'm sure they can use your help however you give it.

BillNye 08-31-2005 09:16 PM

http://www.officialstats.com/donate/unclesam-donate.png

Mercsgrl 08-31-2005 10:02 PM

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics...hannel.aol.com

mmbt0ne 08-31-2005 11:38 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Hey guys I don't want to sound like an ass, but does anyone know of an organization that is matching donations? If not I'll just donate to the Red Cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paradise Poker. See the Zoo sticky.

Ray Zee 09-01-2005 02:15 AM

rather thaen send money to a big outfit that its directors get half million dollar salaries, send it directly to the areas thru their fire departments. this way 100% of what you send gets spent right where you want it for the people that need it.

wacki 09-01-2005 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rather thaen send money to a big outfit that its directors get half million dollar salaries,

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??!?! are you serious? That should be a crime.

KaneKungFu123 09-01-2005 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rather thaen send money to a big outfit that its directors get half million dollar salaries, send it directly to the areas thru their fire departments. this way 100% of what you send gets spent right where you want it for the people that need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the director of red cross drives a rolls royce.

Slacker13 09-01-2005 03:36 AM

I know were not suppose to mention poker here but I figured since this was for a good cause I could slide by this time. Here is a way for everyone to donate and get your money matched at the same time. A few of us started a charity tourney and would greatly appreciate if OOT could spread the word. It is def for a great cause. LINKY

09-01-2005 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right and that is why I won't donate to the Red Cross. I don't Donate to anything anyway but you guys probably could have figured that out. Why is it surprising that these charitable organizations pocket a % of the money ? They are human. If you saw a pile of money on the side of the road on your way home, what would you do ? You'd keep at least a little bit of it even if you were completely honest.

bones 09-01-2005 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you saw a pile of money on the side of the road on your way home, what would you do ? You'd keep at least a little bit of it even if you were completely honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, are a moran.

JTrout 09-01-2005 10:45 AM

LOWE's is matching consumer donations (up to $1m).

I believe the funsd are going to Red Cross, not positive.
But this is a chance to have your contribution matched.

Diplomat 09-01-2005 11:09 AM

I agree %100.

***Warning, controversial political statement to follow***

I stopped donating money to the Red Cross shortly after 9/11. I felt ripped off and cheated, and decided to never donate to them again.

-Diplomat

mackthefork 09-01-2005 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree %100.

***Warning, controversial political statement to follow***

I stopped donating money to the Red Cross shortly after 9/11. I felt ripped off and cheated, and decided to never donate to them again.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I'm confused.

Mack

Glenn 09-01-2005 11:53 AM

There is nothing wrong with paying directors of major charitable orgainizations for the same reason there is nothing wrong with doctors making 500k. When dealing with a disaster of large proportions, it must be dealt with in a business like manner. Billons of dollars are at stake, and they must be efficiently used and allocated. The people who are qualified to do this don't always work for free, and they shouldn't have to. A director that gets paid 500k might create 3m of increased efficiency. The people managing investment of the endowments are another example. A local fire department may spend virutally nothing on administrative fees, but they are terribly inefficient, especially in a major castastrophe. The idea is to help as many people as possible. While a local fireman may want to help people for more unselfish reasons, a Harvard business graduate will do a better job of it, even if he is doing it just to get paid. The Red Cross's handling of 9/11 was poor as Diplomat pointed out, but they claim to have a 30:1 volunteer to paid employee ratio, and to spend 91% of donations on actual aid. Assuming this is at least close to accurate, it seems quite reasonable to spend ~10% of donated money to have the best and brightest organizing relief efforts. Also, volunteers suffer from a lack of accountability. Since they are recieving nothing for their work, and doing it only out of good will, there are more lax standards for their performance. There are bad charitable organizations as Zee pointed out. Many are city level charities run by corrupt or incompetant people. It is important to be careful in who you donate too. However the idea that it is wrong to donate to an organization with paid (even highly paid) employees is completely wrong. In fact, I would be wary about the efficacy of any large organization using only volunteers.

Slacker13 09-01-2005 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You sir, are a moran.

[/ QUOTE ]
His posts are so stupid it's actually becoming entertaining to read them.

Ray Zee 09-01-2005 12:07 PM

a case can be made for alot of big org. work. but for natural disasters the local firemen can buy water and food and know where to put it to its best use. someone in new york can only bark orders over his cell phone. but he is the best at raising the most money.
doolars in general may be used well by the red cross. but your particular money is best used by the local honest volunteer people.

Glenn 09-01-2005 12:30 PM

The majority of the people on the ground for the Red Cross are local, honest volunteers. In this tradgedy in particular, a small local organization is virutally useless unless they work under the umbrella of a larger group who can coordinate all of their efforts. As far as supplies go, the purchasing power of someone like United Way or Red Cross allows them to get better supplies more cheaply. Also, given the security, transportation, and housing situations in New Orleans right now, small groups are virtually impotent. Three local fireman floating up to an angry mob of 5000 people with 100 gallons of water and some canned goods will create more problems than it will solve.