Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Wrestling Angles that worked (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370201)

Jurollo 11-02-2005 04:00 PM

Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah. The Shawn Michaels heel turn where he threw Marty Jannetty through the (plate glass!!!) window.

(Edit: Obviously, the time period from 1991-93, when I was most into pro wrestling, sticks in my brain most vividly, even though I watched just about every week until about three years ago.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Piper's Pit!!! I think that traumatized as a kid because I loved the rockers.
~Justin

imported_CaseClosed326 11-02-2005 04:07 PM

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I thought it was really cool when the Million Dollar Man tried to buy the championship belt. That was against the rules so thye had a huge tourney which was fun to watch.

Jurollo 11-02-2005 04:45 PM

Was that the original King of the Ring tourney that decided it, I remember the 1st King of the Ring PPV being unreal, and well put together in a marketing sense.
~Justin

ClassicBob 11-02-2005 04:49 PM

No, this is the tourney that took place at Wrestlemania IV, in which Randy Savage won the title. (I believe Hogan and Andre the Giant were double DQed in their match, allowing Savage to cruise to victory.)

This led to the great main event at Wrestlemania V, Savage vs. Hogan, another well done feud that hasn't been mentioned yet.

[censored] 11-02-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I thought it was really cool when the Million Dollar Man tried to buy the championship belt. That was against the rules so thye had a huge tourney which was fun to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a very good angle, with an evil twin referee to boot.

[censored] 11-02-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This led to the great main event at Wrestlemania V, Savage vs. Hogan, another well done feud that hasn't been mentioned yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one, The Hogan, Savage, Elizebeth triangle of jealousy where Savage played the paranoid champion perfectly was an excellent angle.

samjjones 11-02-2005 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a very good angle, with an evil twin referee to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps one of Hulk Hogan's best promos, on "Saturday Night's Main Event", punctuated by the immortal line "How many millions for the plastic surgery, brother?"

imported_CaseClosed326 11-02-2005 05:10 PM

Yeah, and Hulk and Savage were a tag team for a while. That was good fun.

fnord_too 11-02-2005 05:23 PM

For some reason I keep getting drawn back to this thread. I maybe watched wrestling somewhat for a year or so on and off. One night when I was getting all the cable channels (and PPV) for free for some reason there was a PPV (WCW I think) on.

Hulk Hogan was supposed to be fighting Jeff Jerret (sp?) for the title (this was six months or a year after Owen Heart died, and Jeff bailed to the WCW). At any rate, Jeff lays down (litterally) and gives up the title, Hulk gives a speach about how pathetic the WCW is now, and leaves.

The owner of the WCW (Russo? I never really wathced WCW and I had stopped watching wrestling all together by this time) comes out and goes on a tirade about Hulk Hogan then has an impromptu match between Jeff and Booker T. I think he (Russo) knew he was going to do that, and maybe Jeff Jerret did, but I don't think anyone else did. It looked genuinely spontaneous, and if Booker T knew it was coming and that he was going to win, he is one hell of a good actor. There were tears of joy in his eyes after the match, which IIRC didn't have either wrestler pulling an heel cheep shots.

I thought that was a pretty good angle, and I think the reason it worked so well was that most of what was going on was not really acting.

One of the funniest things I remember was there was some dialog between Ken Shamrock and his "sister" and at on point, clear as day, he sais "slap me" to her and she does. Apparently she forgot about that part and Ken (or was it Kent) had to give her some not too subtle cueing.

Benal 11-02-2005 05:26 PM

Any angle involving Ric Flair or Big Poppa Pump.