Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I now fold AK a lot pf. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344461)

ansky451 09-26-2005 04:35 PM

Re: I now fold AK a lot pf.

Good examples. I agree with fnurt's response. Hand#2 I probably take a flop, and check/fold if i miss, check-raise all in if i hit it. #1 I'd fold I think.

adanthar 09-26-2005 04:35 PM

"Greater than" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

What I meant was that if you know the hands that will call/four bet a reraise are 56-44's or worse, you often shouldn't reraise. With 12 BB or even 15 BB that doesn't matter because you are just trying to win the 4.5 already out there. When you have more than that, and a tight player raises in EP, putting yourself/him all in is counterproductive.

BTW just calling AK from the BB to an SB raise is pretty bad in almost any situation, because, among other things, if your reraises and overbet pushes are guaranteed to only be called by 2 hands you're not doing it enough.

Sam T. 09-26-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good examples. I agree with fnurt's response. Hand#2 I probably take a flop, and check/fold if i miss, check-raise all in if i hit it. #1 I'd fold I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel better about Hand 1 than Hand 2. With hand two the argument for folding is that if you just call take a flop, you're implied odds stink. You usually miss, and then you can either shut it down, or make a continuation bet into the pre-flop re-raiser. (Good luck with that. This is actually why I like smooth-calling the re-raise if I have AA. He will immediately put you on AK.)

Where things get bad on the call is even if you hit an A or K you'll have a tough time getting any more chips out of an underpair. (And there is a small chance you'll hit your K and lose to AA, or a set.) So you can lose your stack, or make what's already in the middle.

Obviously the rules are different in early in a low buy-in when you WILL get paid off by AQ, not to mention lower pockets when you hit. But after the donks are gone, you've got no implied odds.

ansky451 09-26-2005 04:57 PM

Good points. But you are getting direct odds to call to hit top pair, even without the added bonus of implied odds. Of course then you have to take into the reverse implied odds, if you hit top pair with AK and run into top set or over pair with AA, KK. Plus, if you hit a king, you still have a decent chance of stacking QQ or even JJ.

09-26-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the first one. Also, in a non-rebuy I very much like this line:

Blinds(15/30)
Hero has 1k and AKo
UTG raises to 1k
Hero folds

I think a lot of people call this without thinking, not sure how many of them are 2+2ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops.

[/ QUOTE ]

IS that really a link to microsoft.com or am I hallucinating?

DireWolf 09-26-2005 05:04 PM

Hand 1 i can see folding.

Hand 2 is a push, i think.

fnurt 09-26-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the first one. Also, in a non-rebuy I very much like this line:

Blinds(15/30)
Hero has 1k and AKo
UTG raises to 1k
Hero folds

I think a lot of people call this without thinking, not sure how many of them are 2+2ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops.

[/ QUOTE ]

IS that really a link to microsoft.com or am I hallucinating?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like 2+2 butchered the link, or I did. I meant to link this.

fnurt 09-26-2005 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel better about Hand 1 than Hand 2. With hand two the argument for folding is that if you just call take a flop, you're implied odds stink. You usually miss, and then you can either shut it down, or make a continuation bet into the pre-flop re-raiser. (Good luck with that. This is actually why I like smooth-calling the re-raise if I have AA. He will immediately put you on AK.)

Where things get bad on the call is even if you hit an A or K you'll have a tough time getting any more chips out of an underpair. (And there is a small chance you'll hit your K and lose to AA, or a set.) So you can lose your stack, or make what's already in the middle.

Obviously the rules are different in early in a low buy-in when you WILL get paid off by AQ, not to mention lower pockets when you hit. But after the donks are gone, you've got no implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't like this assumption that opponents will put you on exactly AK and they'll never so much as make a stab at the pot if an ace or king flops, and meanwhile you have no chance of getting them to fold unless an ace or king flops. Sure, if you assume your opponents always play perfectly post-flop, your implied odds do tend to suck.

AtticusFinch 09-26-2005 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I now fold AK a lot pf

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke right? You're way too weak-tight if you're folding AK preflop "a lot".

[/ QUOTE ]

"A lot" is a relative term, here. In my case, as compared to my previous play, it means: "not never."

Generally, if there's a big raise and reraise/push in front, I strongly consider folding. The final decision will depend on the circumstances (Reads, stack sizes, etc.), but usually if I suspect that I'm up against a PP AND at least one of my outs is dead, I'll muck it.

AtticusFinch 09-26-2005 08:54 PM

Personal example:

BB is 1500, on the sb with AKs. I'm in second place at the table with 68k. The big stack at the table has 75k chips, and minraises for the first time all night from UTG. MP1, who has been playing tighter than a nun's cooter all night, shoves his last 15k in.

UTG has been at my table all night. He's aggressive, and looser than I am, but not super loose. He rarely backs down from a confrontation. He is capable of raising a hand as weak as AJs from UTG, but has never showed down TOTAL trash. As I said, I've never seen him minraise before. I have little doubt that if I call he will overpush. If I overpush, he might fold, but I doubt it.

The upshot: I fold without hesitation.