Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Flat Tax? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319777)

vulturesrow 08-22-2005 05:04 PM

Re: Flat Tax?

[ QUOTE ]
The multiplier for government spending is higher than the multiplier for a tax cut, as government spending puts money directly into the economy, while a portion of money in a tax cut is saved.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the tax cuts isnt to inject money into the economy directly. It is to stimulate investment and production, which creates more jobs.

[ QUOTE ]
The multiplier for government spending is higher than the multiplier for a tax cut, as government spending puts money directly into the economy, while a portion of money in a tax cut is saved.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, if the economy is in a growth phase, it can easily absorb increased demand. Additionally the Fed can, and has done so, help curb inflationary pressures.

[ QUOTE ]
makes the most sense in terms of justice

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought taxes were for raising operating revenue for the government, not to administer social justice??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

phlup 08-22-2005 05:07 PM

I've been talking about the deficit for the last 5 posts. Here, check out the second pie chart.

http://www.warresisters.org/piechart.htm

We're spending 8% of our money on NOTHING. And this number is only growing. We need to stop spending money we don't have and pay down the debt. It's the exact same as if you spend too much on your credit card. You've got to pay that off plus interest.

Oh and I didn't even read the site, I found it on google so let's not get into a debate about it being anti-war or whatever it is.

vulturesrow 08-22-2005 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been talking about the deficit for the last 5 posts. Here, check out the second pie chart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know you have and you have yet to explain to what effect paying interest the budget deficit is going to have on me, Joe-average taxpayer. Your pie chart means nothing in relation to that question.

08-22-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
makes the most sense in terms of justice

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought taxes were for raising operating revenue for the government, not to administer social justice??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you have written makes little sense. I never said the _purpose_ of taxation is to "administer social justice." Rather, given that taxation is a means to raise revenue, it should be done in a way that is just. I hope we can agree on that point. The purpose of me driving my car in the morning is to go to work. Your statement is analagous to someone saying "you should drive safely," and the response: "I thought the purpose of driving was to get where you are going, not to create conditions of safety."

phlup 08-22-2005 06:58 PM

It's just like when you run up a bill on your credit card. You have to pay that back some day. And not only that but you have to pay interest on that too.

So lets say you're like me and just got out of college. I've not got student loans to pay back along with a credit card bill to pay off. So when I get my pay check at the end of the week, part of it goes to paying off these old bills.

So instead of getting myself a new car, I have spend my money on past expenses. And what's more, I have to pay extra money to these people since they loaned me the money. And now I have less to spend on other things.

Now what if I continued to spend money on credit? My debt goes up and more and more interest gets tacked on, even if I stop spending. Soon, my minimum payments are taking up a huge portion of my income and I can't afford anything else.

Our government is doing the same thing. That 8% will grow larger and larger and that takes money away from other things the government could be paying for, such as federal funds for roads and infrastructure, our military, FBI, CIA, Homeland security, TSA etc.

We're already seeing that the veteran’s administration is under funded and over extended. And we're adding thousands of veterans to the roster they have to care for.

There was already a vet who had PTSD and ended up killing someone. He knew he had PTSD but was unable to get help due to the VAs lack of funding.

So sure you might not see how the debt affects you, but its easy to see how a lack of funding for government programs can, and in the end that is what will happening. The debt and interest will take a larger chunk of our budget until we are spending most of our tax money just keeping up with our liabilities.

Iplayboard 08-22-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*You pay less tax now*. And you're mad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Nate, wouldn't it be great if we all didn't have to pay taxes and a magic fairy paved all the roads with a wave of her wand? Why don't conservatives adopt that as their platform

warlockjd 08-22-2005 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In answer to your response to MMMMMM, the short answer is that consumer spending on necessities isnt what stimulates the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will never understand the supply side trickle down voodoo economics logic

natedogg 08-22-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

*You pay less tax now*. And you're mad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Nate, wouldn't it be great if we all didn't have to pay taxes and a magic fairy paved all the roads with a wave of her wand? Why don't conservatives adopt that as their platform

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, we have enough revenues to pay for paving the roads.

natedogg

vulturesrow 08-22-2005 11:09 PM

Thats because "trickle down" was never a theory espoused by supply siders. Google the Laffer curve, its a good place to start.

TaintedRogue 08-22-2005 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From reading his article I think it is pretty obvious that Forbes is not being completely honest about what he wants to accomplish with the flat tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Why is it you believe he would not be looking out for the interests of the average wage earner as much as the other billionaires he golfs with?
Back in the 60's business paid about 1/2 of all the tax revenue, now it's about 12%. Regressive taxes, such as on gasoline, have also increased.
You don't think there is a billionaire out there that will be fair to the average joe? What? Just because there never has been one?
Show me a fair billionaire and I'll show you a fairytale.
Big Fish v. Little Fish