Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Which of the unis would provide the best location? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357641)

Cancuk 10-15-2005 01:05 AM

Re: Which of the unis would provide the best location?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about Princeton/Harvard/MIT? Any of these doable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am definitely applying to them along with Chicago, Berkeley, Yale, Stanford.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stanford/Berkely is where it's at. Have you ever thought about McGill in Montreal, Quebec?

Montreal is unreal. UNREAL. Also a very distinguished school.

LittleOldLady 10-15-2005 01:49 AM

If you are interested in economics, have you considered the University of Chicago and the University of Pennsylvania?
Winter in Chicago is pretty rough (but not as bad as the northwest coast of Scotland). Philadelphia has a milder winter than NY or Boston and lower housing costs. It has the benefits of a major city (bigtime sports, concerts, museums, etc., etc.), but is easier to get around in and manage than NY. It's only a short distance by train from NY. There is beautiful countryside outside of Philadelphia, and the city itself has excellent parks. West Philadelphia is filled with students and businesses that cater to students. It's a big city, and there are slums and crime and traffic and other big city problems, but it is nonetheless a very livable city. I myself earned three degrees at Penn, although that was quite a while ago. It's a first rate school, and its reputation in the "business" disciplines is superlative.

Notorious G.O.B. 10-15-2005 01:51 AM

San Diego is beautiful, not sure you could afford living expenses, though. Madison is very nice for a cold place.

partygirluk 10-15-2005 01:51 AM

Thanks. I was just asking going to ask for thoughts on U Penn as it does seem attractive.

PhatTBoll 10-15-2005 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not count "snowshoeing" and listening to your favorite local granola grunge band at the local coffeehouse as legit activities. Cornell is a good school and a beautiful campus, but just the weather alone (which was listed as OP's first preference) and isolation disqualifies them from consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Based on the considerations of OP, I would stay far away from Cornell and U of R.

People only go to Cornell because they either don't know any better, they're a dirty hippie, or it's far and away the best school they got into.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is retarded. I went to Cornell and loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]