Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=243959)

Blarg 05-02-2005 10:36 PM

Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a wi

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know too much about it, but IQ is a relative ranking of your intelligence (what kind exactly, i dunno) to others. IQ is relative though, not absolute.

Anyone above 130 is in the top decile (meaning 10%). Anyone above 160 is a genius. I heard somewhere that they are meant for younger people, not adults, but I'm not sure. The internet tests are no doubt exaggerated. I didn't mean to call that other guy a liar or anything, maybe I came down a little hard but a 164 IQ is truly special, and not even close to common.

That said this is somewhat 2nd hand info but it is generally on the right lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys did come down pretty hard on him. An I.Q. over 160 isn't common, but you have no reason to suppose he couldn't have one.

Don't be a playah-hatah!

vindikation 05-02-2005 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that a lot of people who continue to play poker started off on hot streaks, too. Some of them stay on their hot streaks long enough to actually learn how to win reliably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the exact opposite, I started off losing and it bugged the phuck out of me. I don't have an IQ of 160, but I do have an engineering degree and I could not get over the fact that there was a proven +EV math based gambling game that I was losing money at.

I was down $1000 and gave myself $1000 more to win back that money. If I couldn't do that, then I knew I was a REAL loser that couldn't control my gambling habits. Basically my problem revolved around playing outside my bankroll, once I stuck with basic money management that I've learned here (as well as reading about 10 poker books) I've been in the black ever since.

Jbrochu 05-02-2005 10:56 PM

Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

Back in January, I placed out of the money in my first 8 STTs at the Party $5/1. That to date is still my longest streak of OOM finishes for STTs, though I have since been down more dollar wise than that initial $48. The most I've been down is $130, but I have also been playing MTTs and have been steadily trying to push my way up into higher levels.

After about 4 months, I'm now playing at the 22's at Stars, and have built a stable bankroll from my initial deposit. My ROI is about 10%, but I'm positive it would be higher if I stayed at the 5 and 10 tables longer, and stayed away from MTTs. However, my main goal is to improve my game fast while slowly growing my roll enough to keep moving up. I'll worry about making money when I'm good enough to put a sufficient amount of cake at risk per hour to make 20% ROI mean something to my wallet.

ilya 05-03-2005 12:07 AM

Only $10,000 BUT
I am *really* smart, AND I jumped straight into the $11s (not the $5s).
Don't worry if you lose more than that, I think it's pretty normal!