Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Should BK hire Tommy Angelo? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=338376)

daryn 10-27-2005 02:24 PM

Re: Should BK hire Tommy Angelo?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are just carrying it on way too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was making a legitimate wager.

I see that he has employed you in order to bow out (un)gracefully. I will accept it as such.

Moving on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna get hit and run on!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my M.O. baby. so easy to pwn barron vunger tooth

THREAD KILLER!

astroglide 10-27-2005 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps Barron will explain to us what 5k*(1-.4) means in this context.Barron?

what is tommy charging? 5k.

what is BK paying in taxes (im assuming he pays 40%.)

since this is a poker expense. and BK is filing as a poker player, these costs are deductible from his income tax.

if he pays more than 40%, then simply make 40% whatever % he pays. 1-40% is the net of tax cost of the price charged for tommy's services.

this price EXCLUDES opportunity cost of not playing/travel etc.

maybe i was being obtuse, but i clearly thought at the very least you would know what i was doing el d.

[/ QUOTE ]

using an "equation" for this is retarded. there is no context, and the insight could have been provided by saying "you can deduct his fees on your taxes."

Ulysses 10-27-2005 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'm not surprised you also claim victory here, in the face of defeat. let's do a quick poll on which joke was funnier. we'll bet up to $100,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so little?

Alas, since you named the stakes, I will name the group to be polled (sans me, natch).

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

How about we poll the guys in Red (sans Mat Sklansky - the poker ones only) on which is more of a joke: your article and your posts in the article thread or daryn?

Same stakes or higher, whatever you like.

DMBFan23 10-27-2005 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thats a pretty elaborate and not funny joke...

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the best kind.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

example: big joke

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't clicked the link and I know exaclty what's coming here. AWESOME [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BarronVangorToth 10-27-2005 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How about we poll the guys in Red (sans Mat Sklansky - the poker ones only) on which is more of a joke: your article and your posts in the article thread or daryn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, comedic tastes are so subjective and arbitrary that I can only trust those to judge that truly know High Comedy ... and while some of your group that you referenced might, while I'm willing to wager on other things, I won't on that.

Alas.

My part of the hijack officially over now.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

phish 10-27-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jezz, don't you read the thread?

I spent and paid for 2 days with Tommy a few years back and I got a lot out of it in many areas.

But as I was trying to say above, which apparently went right over your head, is what you get out of it, is what you put into it during and after.

One tidbit-

Our first encounter was playing in a 20 game with him and Clarkmiester.

Every now and again after some action of mine, whether it being a betting decision or something else, Tommy would take a note. I knew that I was going to hear about it the next day. I did, and he was helping me to see what was in the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you be more specific. Provide one specific example of what you did and his comments that helped. Everyone on this thread who's spoken up on behalf of Tommy have been very vague on how he helps. Are you trying to protect his secrets or do you just hate to admit it was money poorly spent and have to make it sound like it was worth it?

BarronVangorToth 10-27-2005 04:49 PM

I imagine for some it's akin to John 9:25.

While I personally haven't purchased the tutoring, what I do know is that you don't hear anyone who has OR that personally has played against him that knocks him.

That is the most telling in my mind, as someone who hasn't.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

phish 10-27-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thats a pretty elaborate and not funny joke...

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the best kind.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

That article was nothing compared to the one he wrote the month before. THAT one read like a parody of poker strategy: "I put 40 bets in chasing a gut shot, but because I hit, this shows what a genius I was to have gotten myself into that situation in the first place."

BarronVangorToth 10-27-2005 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That article was nothing compared to the one he wrote the month before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither compares to November's.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

phish 10-27-2005 04:56 PM

Do I even dare read it?

J.A.Sucker 10-27-2005 04:58 PM

Equations and other mathematical relations are much more informative. Take, for example the following:

http://www.aea16.k12.ia.us/TechData/...ers/Beavis.GIF

THE ANGLE OF THE DANGLE IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL TO THE HEAT OF THE MEAT!!!

Consider your World-view bettered.

Justin A 10-27-2005 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYL.

Check, meet mate.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Declaring a check-mate here is borderline retarded.

BarronVangorToth 10-27-2005 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Declaring a check-mate here is borderline retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would question whether "borderline" was necessary, but that was by design, to illustrate that I'm done with Team Double D dynamo Daryn...

...at least for the rest of the month, until we wait and see what he has to say in November.

Relief, meet sigh of.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

mplspoker 10-27-2005 07:30 PM

good question...

daryn 10-27-2005 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would question whether "borderline" was necessary, but that was by design, to illustrate that I'm done with Team Double D dynamo Daryn...

[/ QUOTE ]

from your web site:

[ QUOTE ]
Barron and Mike are, in the only true sense, a Dream Team. The Dream Team.

[/ QUOTE ]

i (and probably the whole forum) would take team Double D over The Dream Team in any poker competition, IQ test, or general battle of wits.

incidentally i bet we pull more tail too

what is this, wwf?

BarronVangorToth 10-27-2005 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Double D over The Dream Team in any poker competition, IQ test, or general battle of wits.

incidentally i bet we pull more tail too

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very lucky I'm giving you the rest of the month off from my lambasting, but you're invariably right on the first, as to the last, he and I are in longterm relationships so I'm not sure how you want to measure that, on the second, perhaps, but it's statistically very unlikely, and you have zero shot on the third, so don't even (further) embarrass yourself.

Anyway... again, my part of this hijack is over and I won't respond further.

You're welcome (especially Daryn).

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

daryn 10-27-2005 08:14 PM

i should try this technique next time i'm blatantly wrong. i'll just insist over and over that it's the other guy who is embarrassing himself, not me.

Ulysses 10-27-2005 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the second, perhaps, but it's statistically very unlikely

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it's "very unlikely" please let me know what odds you're willing to give me on a $25,000 wager.

[ QUOTE ]
and you have zero shot on the third, so don't even (further) embarrass yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a true piece of work. But I'm going to ignore this silliness and stick to that which can be quantified.

What odds will you give me on the wager?

Feel free to propose replacing "IQ test" with any form of standardized testing having to do with logic, intelligence, reasoning, etc.

BarronVangorToth 10-27-2005 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway... again, my part of this hijack is over and I won't respond further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses 10-27-2005 08:50 PM

I take it that means you decline the wager?

BarronVangorToth 10-27-2005 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it that means you decline the wager?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. I have replied to your boy in private email so as not to clutter this board with your nonsense further.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

astroglide 10-27-2005 09:16 PM

you are a piece of work, man

PokerPrince 10-27-2005 10:15 PM

You're a pugnacious little fellow aren't you? I must know, were you maybe not considered cool in high school so you gotta be the alpha male of the poker forums?

NLSoldier 10-27-2005 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That article was nothing compared to the one he wrote the month before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither compares to November's.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

they are publishing another one [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

DMBFan23 10-28-2005 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
on the second, perhaps, but it's statistically very unlikely

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it's "very unlikely" please let me know what odds you're willing to give me on a $25,000 wager.

[ QUOTE ]
and you have zero shot on the third, so don't even (further) embarrass yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a true piece of work. But I'm going to ignore this silliness and stick to that which can be quantified.

What odds will you give me on the wager?

Feel free to propose replacing "IQ test" with any form of standardized testing having to do with logic, intelligence, reasoning, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEET!!! way to put your money where your mouth is

I've noticed for all the "double D" bashing he does he seems to target mostly daryn with his replies and quips.

DavidC 10-28-2005 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who makes more $$ playing poker? You I'm sure. You don't take business advice from people who are less successful than yourself.. common sense... You should charge him if you had a trade...

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, I'm having a problem refraining from calling people who say stuff like this morons, is that bad?

I mean, over the internet it shouldn't bother me...

Meh, I'll post about it in psych.

--Dave.

Basically, dude, it's not about who makes more, it's about who earns a higher bb/100 vs tougher opponents. I don't know much about how these guys would compare in that regard, but that's the basis of the evaluation (as well as how effectively Tommy can teach).

In conclusion, Moron! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

(fwiw, you probably are better than me at poker, and you could have been dead tired when you rwote this, so I hope you get a chuckle out of this, as I'm not really 100% committed to the idea of you being a moron...)

Edit: ... Hmm... I'm looking at this a little oddly. I guess the correct way of looking at it is "Will I make more money?" But I like my way better, because being awesome at poker is a nice feeling.

BarronVangorToth 10-28-2005 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've noticed for all the "double D" bashing he does he seems to target mostly daryn with his replies and quips.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D fell by the wayside weeks ago and tagged out in the main thread where this all began. He still pops up from time to time and Whack-a-Mole ensues.

But on topic, as I said I would remain, I'm surprised that, to my knowledge, no one has mentioned Dr. Al's fine article in the current CardPlayer, dealing with precisely this topic.

As one of those who hasn't met Tommy but only has read what he writes here and on his site, doesn't that all seem like things he's qualified for...?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

mplspoker 10-28-2005 10:53 AM

Maybe i am missing something here, but I just dont' understand why if you making 3BB/100 in a live 30/60 game, but could make 1BB/100 Online and have 6 games running with probably 10x the cash/per that you would even contimplate the idea of playing live.. when it is your sole source of income... someone explain this to me???

Chris Daddy Cool 10-28-2005 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe i am missing something here, but I just dont' understand why if you making 3BB/100 in a live 30/60 game, but could make 1BB/100 Online and have 6 games running with probably 10x the cash/per that you would even contimplate the idea of playing live.. when it is your sole source of income... someone explain this to me???

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe the idea of sitting behind a computer all day bores the mind out of some people?

TaintedRogue 10-28-2005 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be worth my time/effort/5k/lost short term EV to hire Tommy Angelo?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of successful players right here on 2+2. I think you could accomplish just as much, by scheduling a meeting of 3-5 players in Vegas for a week to share ideas for a lot less than $5,000.00.

mplspoker 10-28-2005 11:14 AM

probably learn more, but good idea.

KaneKungFu123 10-28-2005 01:07 PM

This thread sucks!

i have no idea how one person can help another person not tilt.

TA should start teaching fat people how to now eat cheese burgers.

Sponger15SB 10-28-2005 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

His teaching stuff is Here for those that aren't familiar.

Please only answer if you know him or I well enough for your oppinion to have some base.

Thoughts are appreciated too.

Thanks,
BK

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I had a really well thought up response but then I read the OP again and realized you didn't want that sort of opinion, so I figure its better off to leave it to everyone else. I haven't read any of the replies thus far but I'm sure they are all good. Anyways good luck BK.

NLSoldier 10-28-2005 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

His teaching stuff is Here for those that aren't familiar.

Please only answer if you know him or I well enough for your oppinion to have some base.

Thoughts are appreciated too.

Thanks,
BK

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I had a really well thought up response but then I read the OP again and realized you didn't want that sort of opinion, so I figure its better off to leave it to everyone else. I haven't read any of the replies thus far but I'm sure they are all good. Anyways good luck BK.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmfao, this is classic.

B Dids 10-28-2005 02:25 PM

I've had a non-awesome last 16 or so hours, and this post made me smile A LOT.

Also- I have considered paying a skinny person to teach me how not to eat cheeseburgers.

Also, also- after last night it would at least be worth 80BB to learn not to tilt too.

BottlesOf 10-28-2005 02:57 PM

I don't know anyone in the dream team or double D apart from these boards. I met daryn once briefly.

But, I read these boards A LOT. And from what I've read, I am confident that while the "dream team" may or may not win in an IQ contest, they would stand a less than 1% chance of winning a well-constructed poker skill-measuring contest. And I'd put the Dream Team's chances at winning a battle of wits at between 2 and 3%.

BarronVangorToth 10-28-2005 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And from what I've read, I am confident that while the "dream team" may win in an IQ contest, they would stand a less than 1% chance of winning a battle of wits or poker skill-measuring contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clear up something where I'm being misrepresented, while I'm currently talking with Diablo about potentially doing an IQ wager (although I have hesitations as I'm a potentially known quantity if he's done research, making this a problematic proposition), I did right out of the gate say that, even forgetting that my design partner is NOT a poker player, that I have many times referenced that I believe both members of Team Double D (and I get royalties if someone starts making T-shirts for them) have played more poker / play at higher stakes / and potentially make more money than I do at poker. (You'll notice that I didn't challenge either to a heads-up match of any sort as, again, I have stated that I would lose more often than I would win.)

Battle of wits though ... I said something to the effect of "statistically very unlikely" with the IQ bit but I'll go as far as saying "almost a certainty" about them losing in the wits department in a handicap match against me. But that's neither here nor there.

But to clarify again: I didn't claim to best them in poker...

Final-final word of the hijack. (Until the next misrepresentantion, I guess.)

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

Yeti 10-28-2005 03:14 PM

How the hell would you go about judging a 'battle of wits'?

Put your dicks away, guys.

bobdibble 10-28-2005 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/1...ghting30mh.jpg

BarronVangorToth 10-28-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/1...ghting30mh.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this tired expression, but it's applicable here

LOL LOL and LOL

Nothing can top that, so why bother trying. Kudos. It works on sooooo many levels to (especially with the I think that you think that I think ... gimmick).

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com