Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Question For Atheists (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367841)

IronUnkind 10-31-2005 10:41 PM

Re: Question For Atheists

In many cases, this is precisely true.

IronUnkind 10-31-2005 10:51 PM

I was asking a rhetorical question, but I appreciate your answer. My interest is in explicating the "minor differences" between the two positions. I find it problematic that the terms atheist and agnostic are being used interchangeably in these discussions. At least one poster has offered a definition of atheism that could technically accomodate theism -- very confusing.

chezlaw 10-31-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was asking a rhetorical question, but I appreciate your answer. My interest is in explicating the "minor differences" between the two positions. I find it problematic that the terms atheist and agnostic are being used interchangeably in these discussions. At least one poster has offered a definition of atheism that could technically accomodate theism -- very confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 'definition' could include theists as well, I suppose I have to add 3) no belief in god.

Wiki has an agnostic theist.

I agree wholeheartedly that there is no consistent use of the terms agnostic/athiests and they are best avoided.

chez

11-01-2005 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree wholeheartedly that there is no consistent use of the terms agnostic/athiests and they are best avoided.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same could be said for the term "Christian", too. I think it's best that you just define your terms, if it's unclear to the people involved in the discussion.

I think I'm going to start using the term "nontheist" to mean someone that lacks belief in god(s). It's less confusing, since "atheist" is such a junk word these days. And, people say they are "agnostic", when they are probably also a "nontheist".

I'm an agnostic nontheist skeptic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chezlaw 11-01-2005 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an agnostic nontheist skeptic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure about that?

chez

DougShrapnel 11-01-2005 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Why would that label make you happy?

bholdr 11-01-2005 02:30 AM

as an atheist, but also a rationalist and a i do not feel that it is either required or wise to think ANYTHING is absolutely true/untrue/impossible/etc...

i think there MIGHT even be a god/creator/whatever...

BUT, and more to the point, i think that proposition is so astronomically inprobable and completly illogical that it's both foolish and immoral to believe it, or, more importanlty, act as if it were true.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a sixth dimensional high school student doing a science project. Can you accept that possibility and still be an atheist?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, you can't accept that possibility as likely and still be a reasonable person. atheists can be idiots, too.

11-01-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

11-01-2005 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Why would that label make you happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it makes me moderately happy because it is an easy way to indicate to others my views on religion/god. It may save me time by being a bit more accurate up front.