Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Hitchcock (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361600)

captZEEbo1 10-20-2005 09:46 PM

Re: Best Hitchcock

rear window by a mile...and yes I agree, Hitchcock is crazy overrated. I guess he pioneered some techniques, but MOST of his films just aren't THAT good (the ones listed and a few more are obviously good, but only a couple are GREAT).

AceHigh 10-20-2005 10:12 PM

North by Northwest - cuz of Cary Grant.

buffett 10-20-2005 10:14 PM

I agree with SL72 that The Man Who Knew Too Much was great, but I have to give the nod to one of his only comedies:

The Trouble With Harry.

Home to such great lines as: He looked exactly the same when he was alive, only he was vertical.

Plus...call me crazy, but the young Shirley MacLaine was a cutie.
-web

Vish 10-21-2005 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just finally watched Notorious like a week ago. My vote definately goes to Vertigo

[/ QUOTE ]
If I could vote for two it would be Vertigo and Notorious. Notorious is definitely his most "cruel" movie. There is the usual black humor in it, but also a more vicious undercurrent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this? Cruel isn't the first word that comes to my mind about this movie, but I'm listening.

TheBlueMonster 10-21-2005 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just finally watched Notorious like a week ago. My vote definately goes to Vertigo

[/ QUOTE ]
If I could vote for two it would be Vertigo and Notorious. Notorious is definitely his most "cruel" movie. There is the usual black humor in it, but also a more vicious undercurrent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this? Cruel isn't the first word that comes to my mind about this movie, but I'm listening.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's cruel because of the abuse he heaps upon Bergman's character; he makes her an "alcoholic" and then has her fall in love with a man who plays emotional S&M with her. Not to mention the poison. There's a lot more (I actually wrote a paper about it in college)

Ray Zee 10-21-2005 02:45 AM

did you all know that he appears in most or even all of his movies somewhere. look for him next time you watch one.

Vish 10-21-2005 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you all know that he appears in most or even all of his movies somewhere. look for him next time you watch one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this too, but I've never been able to find him in "Rope." Anyone know when/if he appears in this movie?

TheBlueMonster 10-21-2005 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this too, but I've never been able to find him in "Rope." Anyone know when/if he appears in this movie?

[/ QUOTE ]
had to look it up: His trademark can be seen briefly on a neon sign in the view from the apartment window, approximately 55 minutes into the movie.