Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Things Lon McEachern needs to stop saying (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=326690)

Pov 09-05-2005 03:24 AM

Re: Things Lon McEachern needs to stop saying

[ QUOTE ]
Something I saw last night on the WPT which was annoying as hell was that Sexton would constantly say 'He can't be happy here, pushing it all in with king high!' It was preflop and they had KQ or something with a short stack. Honestly, do these people have any idea what they're talking about? I would seriously like it if they had pros do the commentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reply is to the Madden bashers too. You should re-read Micro-Bob's post. These guys do their commentary this way on purpose. Sexton is a pretty qualified pro when it comes to tournament poker and Madden was only 103-32-7 as coach in the regular season and 1-0 in the Super Bowl.

They both announce like idiots because that's their current job and they're good at it - just like they were at their old jobs.

09-05-2005 04:16 PM

Mike Sexton is a bracelet-wearing pro, baby.

Jman28 09-05-2005 07:21 PM

He should stop saying words.

BigF 09-06-2005 02:39 AM

Re: The problem that fans have in all of these cases

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">The same sorts of complaints are made by baseball and football fans. Those fans that really know about the game almost always think the commentators are bad because they cater to the masses. </font>

The problem that we have is that it would be very very easy to add some intelligent commentary during the broadcasts, instead of prattling on about failed marriages and turkey legs and whatever inane comments you hear on any sports or poker broadcast.

It doesn't have to be completely incisive, but just yapping in my ear to make noise serves no purpose.

And while FSN reporters have their faults, at least they try to give something a little more subtle and in-depth, that any three-year-old couldn't see on their own. They may not deliver it in a subtle manner, but don't knock them across the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who actually enjoys Norman Chad's commentary? When I watch poker on TV, I'm not trying to learn anything, just trying to have a good time. Lame jokes are still jokes and IMO much better than boring hand analysis.

09-07-2005 01:34 PM

Re: The problem that fans have in all of these cases

Lame jokes are lame.

Boring hand analysis is hand analysis.

Do you see where your logic is flawed?

Neil Stevens 09-07-2005 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"OH IT'S AN EIGHT!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
When an eight doesn't improve anybody, indeed.